HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
As long as the map doesn't match reality, people will keep submitting corrections.
And since no one will ever be able to agree on anything.. it will never end.

Nor will the headaches.

I don't even use Google maps. It's as bad as Wikipedia, when you let the general population control it.. you get too much garbage.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 7:33 PM

FYI - There's an issue with Maps right now and everything has been rolled back about a month; when the issue is resolved all edits old and new will be propagated out to the map. But thanks for all equating myself and the other Google reviewers to the operators of the holocaust, real classy guys. Glad I spent my time trying to explain things and working with you to approve the things you did find that were wrong, rather than just treating your mass of edits as abuse and rejecting it as spam. I think you fail to realize that when a group of people invade the map and change it to what they think it should be rather than what the guidelines say, and that the long time mappers then have to deal with that; it is not the long time mappers that caused issues on the map.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash604 View Post
FYI - There's an issue with Maps right now and everything has been rolled back about a month; when the issue is resolved all edits old and new will be propagated out to the map. But thanks for all equating myself and the other Google reviewers to the operators of the holocaust, real classy guys. Glad I spent my time trying to explain things and working with you to approve the things you did find that were wrong, rather than just treating your mass of edits as abuse and rejecting it as spam. I think you fail to realize that when a group of people invade the map and change it to what they think it should be rather than what the guidelines say, and that the long time mappers then have to deal with that; it is not the long time mappers that caused issues on the map.
were you offended by my google nazi comment?
let me rephase that to google czar...feel better?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 9:30 PM
More Towers

Quote:
I don't even use Google maps. It's as bad as Wikipedia, when you let the general population control it.. you get too much garbage.
Exactly. Not even worth spending the energy trying to fix or argue about it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 9:36 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash604 View Post
Whilst I agree that these personal attacks must stop, I think everyone is frustrated at these so-called "guidelines" and the inconsistencies of these guidelines. In the case of the 99, the guideline is simply preventing accurate mapping as according to the Ministry of Transportation, the freeway ends at Oak Street Bridge and not the 91. On the flipside, the Golden Ears Bridge, while having a 80kph max limit, is not considered a freeway and the map should not reflect that.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:01 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I agree 100% that calling someone a Nazi is vulgar and offensive.
I'm sorry that I did not return to this thread to deal with the issue; I had given up on the topic myself.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:26 AM
Dahvie Fan

Please oh please Google make it look like we have more highways then we actually do

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 5:01 AM

Here are some Canadian examples of other highways that are not shown as ending at their junctions with other major highways (correctly):

Route 102, Halifax:

Route 111, Halifax:

Route 116, Montreal:

Highway 400, Toronto:

Highway 427, Toronto:

Route 973, Quebec:

There's no reason Highway 99 in Richmond, Knight Street in Richmond, the Queensborough Connector, and Highway 99 to Lions Bay couldn't be shown as expressways (or for that matter portions of the Pat Bay Highway and the Trans Canada in Victoria). They are fully divided, with shoulders, limited access, and interchanges.

You should be able to look at a map and tell there's a difference between Kingsway and Highway 91a.

Last edited by makr3trkr; Sep 5, 2013 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 7:34 AM

Worth noting: I had requested the following in a recent bugfix report (emphasis on important parts):
Quote:
Someone keeps changing this portion of freeway [Highway 99 from Highway 91 junction to Oak Street Bridge] to "highway" status and back. Given that there's a government sign here that says that the "freeway ends", the freeway portion of Highway 99 should end here, not anywhere else down the road at the Highway 91 designation or via any other rule developed solely by and for Google Maps and its contributors. In addition, future changes to this section should be locked, given this has been a recurring issue.
It's probably too early to tell whether they'll implement the suggested "lock", but I'm feeling good that they rolled back all the changes of late...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure