HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:16 PM
The City

I know I'll get flak for this, but here goes:

I love Woodfield Mall because it has one of the best kid play areas I've ever seen.

So when we are there my wife shops while the kids play, and then when it's her turn to watch them I go to Rainforest Cafe's bar to have some drinks.

Yes, I'm really a bad SkyscraperPage forumer....very anti-urban and shameful. Sorry everyone!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:20 PM

I have a question about Schaumburg...

Does it have a traditional downtown, or is it basically a post-war bedroom community, mostly single-family residential neighborhoods with culs-de-sac, and a huge shopping mall? Just curious.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I have a question about Schaumburg...

Does it have a traditional downtown, or is it basically a post-war bedroom community, mostly single-family residential neighborhoods with culs-de-sac, and a huge shopping mall? Just curious.
there is no traditional downtown or traditional urbansim of any kind left in schaumburg. it was mainly cornfields until the 1960s. there was apparently a very small rural town center of 19th century vintage, but it has been lost to history.

the closest traditional downtown to schaumburg would probably be downtown arlington heights which is about 3.5 miles NE of woodfield mall.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 14, 2017 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
there is no traditional downtown or traditional urbansim of any kind left in schaumburg. it was mainly cornfields until the 1960's. there was apparently a very small rural town center of 19th century vintage, but it has been lost to history.

the closest traditional downtown to schaumburg would probably be downtown arlington heights which is about 3.5 miles NW of woodfield mall.
Thanks for answering my question. I can think of some LA suburbs that are like that as well, that started out as mostly agricultural towns with maybe a small downtown or main street, but then after World War II with the population explosion, housing tracts and shopping centers were built, and the old town center/main street was obliterated due to "progress"---and that also sometimes meant the widening of a freeway, or converting a highway into a freeway, which obliterated the old historic town center.

And then of course there are the newer suburbs that were basically all vacant land or all agricultural land, which was then developed into a car-oriented "planned" community, with no traditional downtown/main street.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:49 PM
The City

Schaumburg has a downtown. It's called "Streets of Woodfield"

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I know I'll get flak for this, but here goes:

I love Woodfield Mall because it has one of the best kid play areas I've ever seen.

So when we are there my wife shops while the kids play, and then when it's her turn to watch them I go to Rainforest Cafe's bar to have some drinks.

Yes, I'm really a bad SkyscraperPage forumer....very anti-urban and shameful. Sorry everyone!
so suburban

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Schaumburg has a downtown. It's called "Streets of Woodfield"
yep.

it's the real deal:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0404...7i13312!8i6656

but for the love of god, DO NOT zoom out.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:28 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I've been to Schaumburg (interestingly before I ever even visited Chicago) and I've seen waaaay way worse suburbs than that. It's no Oak Park but it's also not Katy, TX either. I'll see your Woodfield Mall and raise you a Katy Mills mall.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I've been to Schaumburg (interestingly before I ever even visited Chicago) and I've seen waaaay way worse suburbs than that. It's no Oak Park but it's also not Katy, TX either. I'll see your Woodfield Mall and raise you a Katy Mills mall.
katy mills looks a lot like gurnee mills in Gurnee, IL

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3873.../data=!3m1!1e3

and yeah, they're both probably worse than the woodfield area, but the woodfield area is still pretty damn offensive from an urbanism perspective. it's still a parking lot wasteland.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 15, 2017 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:49 AM

How funny; I guess a lot of "Mills" malls look a like, huh?

Here's Ontario Mills, in SoCal's Inland Empire (in the City of Ontario, San Bernardino County):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/On...!4d-117.551993

Funny; when you zoom out on all 3 Google map links for the 3 Mills malls, looking at Katy and Gurnee, there's lots of vacant land near the malls. Ontario looks all built out:

Katy, TX: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7748.../data=!3m1!1e3

Gurnee, IL: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3873.../data=!3m1!1e3

Ontario, CA: https://www.google.com/maps/place/On...7.551993?hl=en

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:04 AM

Quote:
yep.

it's the real deal:

You weren't joking. Wow.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:04 AM
Never Dell

Wow indeed. Even the freaking office buildings have surface parking. The largest mall doesn't even seem to be connected to the nearby sidewalks. It doesn't get much crappier than that. This is what happens when land is dirt cheap and in endless supply, and nobody gives a crap at the planner/politician level.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
yep.

it's the real deal:

I zoomed out -- whoops. I noticed there's an IKEA, CostCo, HomeDepot big box retail there. Woodfield Mall is about 28 miles outside of downtown Chicago.

Here's an area outside of Seattle - 14 miles south of Downtown Seattle:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/i.../data=!3m1!1e3
*You might have to adjust the zoom and pan a tad to see the Walmart super center and the SouthCenter area and the Westfield SouthCenter mall.

Similar land use, with an similar big box retail - IKEA, Home Depot, CostCo, Best Buy and so on - surrounded by similar suburban sprawl.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 1:38 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Wow indeed. Even the freaking office buildings have surface parking. The largest mall doesn't even seem to be connected to the nearby sidewalks. It doesn't get much crappier than that. This is what happens when land is dirt cheap and in endless supply, and nobody gives a crap at the planner/politician level.
Ya. That sort of thing very common in suburban office parks out here, square miles of surface lots, maybe a garage or two surrounding a bleh water fountain. Hated working in them. No where to escape during lunch or breaks.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 4:06 AM

What caught my attention from cursory glance at Street View in or around Schaumburg is the strange layout of the sidewalks, like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0515...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Even in places with decent public transit, I still see underground parking not able to fulfill all the demand for office parking. Even downtown Chicago has surface parking lots. The public transit ridership probably has to be extremely high to remove all surface parking.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Well, there's Eastern Europe. Toronto has a ton, but suburban Prague is like 80% commieblocks.
But Prague is much older, so less suburban to begin with. Toronto is new even by North America standards, mostly grew in the post-war era. North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, Mississauga, that's already over 2 million people right there. There are thousands of these buildings in the GTA.

North York:

Argento by Marcanadian, on Flickr

I don't actually mind these 50s/60s/70s subdivisions, but I know some people will hate them.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 5:19 AM

I think it's safe to say that commieblock, tower-in-park-sprawl is much worse than regular detached home sprawl.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 12:03 PM

^ Not sure, though.

It's been discussed hundreds of times, but I like to repeat.
The sad things about so-called "commieblocks" are:

1. They all look the same, which is boring and disturbing like fascism or mere conformism.

2. They're very poorly laid out, and surrounded by surface parking lots cause burying them costs more money.

But they're still real urban objects in that they keep density to a decent level.
They can also be restructured when it's relevant. Facades can be modernized in diverse fashions in particular.
So I wouldn't judge them so harshly.

Single-family home sprawl obviously consumes much more space.
it does really sprawl, which causes bad problems too.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 3:03 PM
somewhere in-between

In terms of low-rise sprawl, Sun City, Sun City West, and surrounding environs are pretty bad. These are popular retirement communities, but freaky to drive through. At the center of each 'ring' are one or two churches of various denominations.

Source: Google Maps

Houston's 'The Woodlands', while not 'ugly' freaks me out as well.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 3:42 PM

The Woodlands is considered an anchor city of the MSA, which is just absurd. It'd be like Hempstead being considered an anchor city of NYC or Glendale for LA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions