HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 5:06 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

New Soccer Stadium Part of Ottawa MLS Bid

You go Eugene! If anyone has a chance at making this happen it's you.

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com...0712419960.php

Quote:
Senators Sports and Entertainment owner Eugene Melnyk will announce details next week to build a new soccer stadium when he officially launches his bid to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to Ottawa.

A spokesperson declined to give out any details ahead of the press conference scheduled for Tuesday, except to say that officials already have a location in mind for the new stadium, which would be a prerequisite for landing a soccer team.

The Ottawa Senators owner and former Biovail executive is interested in bringing a team to the city for the 2011 season, when the league will expand from 16 to 18 teams.

The MLS, currently in its 13th season, has 14 teams including one in Toronto. Seattle Sounders FC will join the league in 2009 and a yet-to-be-named Philadelphia expansion team will debut in 2010.

Besides Ottawa, other potential expansion markets include Atlanta, Las Vegas, Montreal, a second team in the New York area, Portland, St. Louis and Vancouver.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 5:21 PM

Cool. A professional sporting team that I would actually go out to see!!!!

This makes me excited.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 5:26 PM

Great news for Ottawa if they can land a franchise.

On a sidenote, why do teams in MLS add the FC to their names? Doesn't FC stand for 'football club', yet the league is a 'soccer' league, and the majority of us call the game 'soccer' in NA.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 5:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The simple answer is to give themselves some legitimacy. They think that if they give themselves names with FC, “Real” or “United”, that people will think they actually have something in common with the prestigious European leagues, rather than some second-rate North American competition.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 7:14 PM

That's awesome news, anyone have any ideas where this might be. I would really like to see this somewhere close to preston street, lebreton flats would be perfect, but not gonna happen. I wonder if city centre would be large enough?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireicedog View Post
That's awesome news, anyone have any ideas where this might be. I would really like to see this somewhere close to preston street, lebreton flats would be perfect, but not gonna happen. I wonder if city centre would be large enough?
Of the current City Council, how many do you think are actually footie fans....

Rainer Bloess plays in the OC Old Timers league at times, but the rest of them don't appear too footie positive.....the Mayor certainly strikes me as a hockey/baseball/4 downs football kind of guy.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 8:04 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

BRING IT ON!!! I really hope we get a team. Whoever said it should be near Preston street gets my vote!!! A natural location, bar none.

Our team should be called the Ottawa St. Anthony's FC in honour of the most prominent non-pro team this city has.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 8:10 PM
Closed account

I don't think anyone considers Ottawa a favourite, but no one considered it a favourite to win a hockey franchise either. :-D

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 8:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
BRING IT ON!!! I really hope we get a team. Whoever said it should be near Preston street gets my vote!!! A natural location, bar none.

Our team should be called the Ottawa St. Anthony's FC in honour of the most prominent non-pro team this city has.
I like all of these suggestions. My only fear (shared by many here I bet) is that the stadium would end up in an open field in Kanata near the Sens' arena.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 8:31 PM

What's wrong with Lansdowne? It's probably the most sought after plot of land in Ottawa and there is such a history there with this city's sports fans. I think they only way we're gonna get a top notch stadium is if we see Hunt and Melnyk working together on this one. If this happens, I think we should errect a 30 foot tall bronze statue of Melnyk on or near Parliament Hill; he brings a "swagger" to this city that Larry O'Brien with his promises and tax cuts could only dream of.

Quote:
September 12, 2008

Soccer, stadium plans to be announced TuesdaySenators' owner to outline plans for MLS franchise
By Sun Media

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk is planning a press conference for Tuesday to officially kick off a bid for a Major League Soccer franchise and to present details to build is being called a "new, world-class stadium."

In a release issued this morning, Senators Sports Entertainment says the announcement will take place Tuesday at Scotiabank Place at 9 a.m. The SSE has already announced its intention to bid for a team, but more details are expected to be outlined at this briefing.

The significant new wrinkle will be so-far-unreported plans for a stadium.

The City of Ottawa has been waffling for years on the future of the downtown Lansdowne Stadium, which is aging and in need of significant repair and construction if it is to be used for a major sports enterprise.

Couple the MLS bid with an already-announced plan by 67's owner Jeff Hunt and other supporters to bid for a Canadian Football League franchise and that would mean two significant possible teams for a new facility.

It is not yet known if Hunt and his partners will be partners in the stadium proposal.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 8:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The problem is that Lansdowne is city-owned whereas these days team owners (who have the money – and these guys do) like to own their own facility. Why would Melnyk (and Hunt) kick in money to renovate a stadium they don’t even own? If anything, it might be cheaper and less of hassle to build from scratch in an open field in Kanata than to try and renovate Lansdowne.

Don’t get me wrong, I am first and foremost a supporter of the Lansdowne site for any major Ottawa stadium, but I am just being realistic here.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Sep 12, 2008 08:21 ET
Media Advisory: News Conference for Official Launch of Ottawa's MLS Bid and Stadium Plans Tuesday, Sept. 16, 9 a.m. at Scotiabank Place

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Sept. 12, 2008) - Eugene Melnyk, owner of Senators Sports & Entertainment (SSE), will hold a news conference to officially launch the bid to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to Ottawa and present details to build a new world-class stadium.

The news conference will take place Tuesday, Sept. 16, at 9 a.m. at Scotiabank Place's Gate 1 entrance.

Melnyk will be joined by SSE chief executive officer Roy Mlakar and chief operating officer Cyril Leeder. Members from all levels of the National Capital Region's soccer community have also been invited.
I'm not liking the sounds of this guys. I can just see Melnyk making his presentation at scotiabank place, pointing off to some desolate field between Kanata and Stittsville, and naming it the new home of the Ottawa Senators FC. While I would settle for a team anywhere in the city, this stadium belongs in the core. Tuesday we'll know for sure.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 9:19 PM

As for location....

It's obvious to me where it should be.

A man can dream, can't he?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 9:38 PM
you know my steez

BAYVIEW YARDS

But I'm betting on Kanata West....maybe in the floodplain ( )?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 10:42 PM

I'm all for it as long as the stadium is inside the Greenbelt.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 11:58 PM

Whoever had bets on kanata looks to be the winner.

Melnyk plans soccer stadium for Kanata

By BRUCE GARRIOCH, Sun Media

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk will officially kick off his campaign to bring Major League Soccer to Ottawa next week by unveiling plans for a new 20,000-plus-seat stadium in Kanata.

While the Senators will be reporting for training camp, Melnyk has called a news conference for Tuesday at Scotiabank Place, where he’ll show off his plans to bring an MLS expansion team to the city.

Included in the bid for the squad, that likely wouldn’t play here before 2011, is Melnyk’s plan to build a state-of-the-art soccer stadium, which sources say will be in Kanata in close proximity to Scotiabank Place on land he already owns.

According to the demands made by the MLS in its requirements for expansion teams, all soccer facilities must have 22,000 30,000 seats.

Since Melnyk has no choice but to meet that demand, the facility will be similar — but bigger than — the 20,000-seat BMO Field which houses the Toronto FC franchise, which is owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

While the bid will be worth in excess of $40 million, there’s a lot of work to do before a franchise is awarded to Ottawa. Since Melnyk is willing to front the cash, there won't be any concerns about building the stadium.

The MLS — a 14-team league where many of the franchises are losing money — is looking to expand to 20 teams. Seattle has been granted a franchise for next year and Philadelphia will join the league in 2010.

Melnyk isn’t the only Canadian bidder in the hunt for a club. Vancouver and Montreal — both strong soccer venues in the past — have already made their interest known and will get strong consideration.

All three cities will be battling the U.S. bidders from Atlanta, Portland, Miami, Las Vegas and St. Louis. There’s also talk a group led by the owners of major league baseball’s Mets is trying to get a second MLS franchise in New York.

There have been suggestions the new stadium could also house the CFL expansion team that 67’s owner Jeff Hunt is fronting with a group of local real estate investors, including Roger Greenberg, John Ruddy and William Shenkman.

Hunt is preparing to make an announcement of his own on plans for redevelopment of Lansdowne Park in the next couple of weeks. That bid is a little more complicated because it needs city backing before becoming reality.

“I don’t know anything more than anybody else,” Hunt said yesterday. “I’m waiting to hear what the announcement will be. Until we can fully grasp what (Melnyk’s) proposing, it’s difficult to make a comment.

“Obviously, Eugene believes Ottawa is a world-class sports city. He’s showing great confidence in the Ottawa sports market.”

Hunt said he has not talked to Melnyk about the bid.

“We have not had any meaningful discussions. We’re open to the MLS being here, of course. We’re proposing a world-class sports and entertainment venue. The more (the facility is used) the more successful the venture will be.

“Our group is moving forward with the process to revitalize Lansdowne. Our bid will be submitted in the coming weeks. I think people will be excited.”

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 7:38 AM

Close Lansdowne and open Kanata West.....Oh dear god.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Close Lansdowne and open Kanata West.....Oh dear god.
I can't really blame Melnyk here. If I had his money, I wouldn't want to deal with the Glebe NIMBYs, or our loser city council, either.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 9:41 PM

booo.

Kanata is too far for this urban boy to go watch sports...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 12:35 AM

I'm slowly turning into the Ottawa board pessimist/doomsday'er and that troubles me for multiple reasons, but I have to say it: It's telling of the overall mindset of development in this town that a geographically fringe area of the city that's mainly comprised of uninspired housing and large monolithic box stores woven together over great distances with a "drivers only" infrastructure tops the list as the most attractive place for someone to build what is intended as a city-wide entertainment facility. The kind that can kindle city spirit, night life and lots of pedestrian traffic in a part of town where the two former are almost non-existent. And its not because there is a shortage of real-estate or potential locations in this city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation