HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:19 PM

Mile 1 and Harbour Bridge Projects On Hold

Well, Concreate's receivership has resulted in these 2 projects being put on hold.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...concreate.html

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:25 PM

New Retail in Market Square

Made You Blush is now open in Market Square (http://www.madeyoublush.ca/)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:44 PM

Saw news the Co-op on the West side has been torn down. Any news on potential development there? Thought it was supposed to be part of something in conjunction with the AQ and the Rogers building lands....

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
Saw news the Co-op on the West side has been torn down. Any news on potential development there? Thought it was supposed to be part of something in conjunction with the AQ and the Rogers building lands....
Plazacorp Retail Properties bought the land and knocked down the building to make way for Princess Auto. I have no idea whether or not it is going to be a single-tenant building though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 5:25 PM

Say what you will about Peel Plaza, but the copper cladding they are putting up on the new courthouse is actually shockingly good. I didn't expect anything near as interesting on that building, props to GNB on this one.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Say what you will about Peel Plaza, but the copper cladding they are putting up on the new courthouse is actually shockingly good. I didn't expect anything near as interesting on that building, props to GNB on this one.
I foresee a spirited debate on the matter between you and ErickMontreal in the near future.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:27 PM

Uptown SJ

Liquid Gold Tasting Bar and All Things Olive . 80 Prince William Street . NOW OPEN.. very nice store.. Ive been in..

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:24 AM

Went to St Hubert Express for tonight for supper. My family had been there but my 1st visit. Not fine dining of course, but nice layout and cool surroundings. I was quite impressed. Food was decent in quality and price. I'll go back again. If not for the food, def for the decor.

Any word on the little plaza next door? Staff at St Huberts said they heard Harveys or a coffee shop(Second Cup I assume). Harveys would do much better there for sure. Second Cup would be an asset as well.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
Went to St Hubert Express for tonight for supper. My family had been there but my 1st visit. Not fine dining of course, but nice layout and cool surroundings. I was quite impressed. Food was decent in quality and price. I'll go back again. If not for the food, def for the decor.

Any word on the little plaza next door? Staff at St Huberts said they heard Harveys or a coffee shop(Second Cup I assume). Harveys would do much better there for sure. Second Cup would be an asset as well.
Yeah... Second Cup is going next door to St-Hubert. Also - Little Caesars is opening next month across the road from St-Hubert.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Yeah... Second Cup is going next door to St-Hubert. Also - Little Caesars is opening next month across the road from St-Hubert.
So Second Cup it is then. That should be a great spot for them, lots of good exposure to traffic and the retail crowd nearby. They should do quite well. Never heard rumblings about Little Ceasar's. Where exactly? Lots of Pizza places nearby so that might be a challenge, hopefully it will lead to a pizza price war

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
So Second Cup it is then. That should be a great spot for them, lots of good exposure to traffic and the retail crowd nearby. They should do quite well. Never heard rumblings about Little Ceasar's. Where exactly? Lots of Pizza places nearby so that might be a challenge, hopefully it will lead to a pizza price war
The Little Caesars will be next door to the library and second spin records in the little mini mall.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 9:37 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Little Caesars is opening next month across the road from St-Hubert.
This is the greatest news I have ever heard.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 10:28 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
This is the greatest news I have ever heard.
5 bucks for a pizza sounds great...but its not even worth that

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:16 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
5 bucks for a pizza sounds great...but its not even worth that
Hot-n-Readys are so delicious. Don't even get me started.

I've just been super jealous of Moncton having two franchises and the rest of us having none. Not anymore!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:25 AM

re: heavy crude coming to Saint John by rail CN and NBSR (CP RAIL)

I got word from my union rep here in Moncton that CN just inked a major shipping deal from the mid west US (Chicago) to Saint John. It contains 3 trains per week averaging 70 cars at start, going to 100 cars by the summer. CP has already started shipping heavy crude from Saskatchewan to Saint John Via MOntreal...to NBSR ( 40-50 cars of heavy crude arrived a couple days ago). Sounds like Saint John will be quite busy in the rail sector

Steelcowboy

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 10:01 PM

Saint John -April 2012
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
I got word from my union rep here in Moncton that CN just inked a major shipping deal from the mid west US (Chicago) to Saint John. It contains 3 trains per week averaging 70 cars at start, going to 100 cars by the summer. CP has already started shipping heavy crude from Saskatchewan to Saint John Via MOntreal...to NBSR ( 40-50 cars of heavy crude arrived a couple days ago). Sounds like Saint John will be quite busy in the rail sector

Steelcowboy
Great news!

In addition, the introduction of the global container connection (MSC) may also help to spur the rail activity in and out of Saint John.

I have never seen as many containers in the port as today.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Great news!

In addition, the introduction of the global container connection (MSC) may also help to spur the rail activity in and out of Saint John.

I have never seen as many containers in the port as today.
The photo ErickMontreal just posted was rather impressive. I don't think I've ever seen a container ship quite that size in the port before.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 6:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSJ News
Two Key Rezonings Coming Before Common Council

Common Council is being urged by City Staff to approve rezoning of the Coast Guard property. The final acquisition of the property will take place at the end of June.

Kent McIntyre of Saint John Waterfront Development anticipates there will be new developers later this year for what he envisions as a mixed residential-commercial development with 230 condos, a 130 room hotel, 70 thousand square feet for retail and commercial space along with a promenade around the perimeter.

He's also optimistic about things picking up telling the city the site will undergo a phased in redevelopment beginning later this year.

Council is also being asked to approve rezoning for the new "Y" on Churchill Boulevard which is viewed as a key step to revitalising that part of the north end around Crescent Valley..

http://country94news.blogspot.ca/201...oe-common.html
So...no developers as of yet?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:28 PM

Fundy quay zoning sets sail

Reid Southwick

Telegraph-Journal
24 Apr 2012 11:57AM

SAINT JOHN – Common Council signalled intentions Monday to rezone a large waterfront property, allowing for the construction of condominiums, retail space, offices and a hotel at the former Coast Guard site.

The politicians gave early approval to an application to rezone the site from its existing designation that allowed for Coast Guard operations to one that would make way for the mixed-use project.

Kent MacIntyre, general manager of Saint John Development Corp., said he was asking council to rezone the land before his group secures developers for the project because the move would signal that city hall is committed to the project.

MacIntyre, whose agency is working on the proposal on behalf of city hall, said his group was trying to remove any possible irritants in a bid to attract top developers and investors. He said several potential proponents that his group has approached are from outside of New Brunswick and can spend their money anywhere.

“To demonstrate that we are business-friendly and investment-friendly adds to the amount of influence we can have in getting developers and investors here sooner than later,” he told council during a public hearing.

The politicians unanimously gave first and second reading to a bylaw amendment that would allow for the new zoning, paving the way for final approval in a couple weeks. Council will hold another public hearing to approve designs once they are ready.

MacIntyre’s group has hired a global real estate firm to find investors and developers willing to build the large-scale commercial development, which has been a dream for city politicians for years.

Cushman & Wakefield Atlantic is working to identify a core group of proponents with the experience and financial capability to construct a mix of commercial and residential units at the former Coast Guard site.

Bill MacAvoy, managing director of Cushman & Wakefield Atlantic, said earlier this year that two major international hotel brands that are not present in the Saint John market had expressed great interest in the former Coast Guard site, now called Fundy Quay.

MacAvoy said in the earlier interview that more than one proponent would likely be involved in a final deal. He said the vast array of real estate planned for the site – office space, retail, residential and hospitality – would demand expertise from several players.

The Hardman Group, a Halifax real estate company, walked away from an estimated $85-million deal to build restaurants, offices, retail space, condominiums and a hotel at the former Coast Guard site last November.

The company said at the time it took too long for the city to secure the property from the federal government and lost its window of opportunity.

Undeterred, Saint John Development Corp. hired Cushman & Wakefield in January and has set a June deadline to review proposals from bidders.

Meanwhile, city hall has acquired the first half of the property and is expected to assume ownership of the second half on June 30. The total acquisition is expected to cost $2.8 million.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces