HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 11:09 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

mwalker, there is actually Mucho Burrito in Suncor food court but of course it's only open weekdays. Having one on 4th is going to be fantastic- closest thing in Canada to Qdoba et al. Really, really happy to hear this.

I had lunch at Cibo (that's Cibo, full stop- not Cibo Trattoria) today. Two aranciata and a pizza that was interesting- had fig among savoury components. 'Wood-stone" oven fired. Not quite as good as Una but they're fine-tuning things. Still a very excellent pizza. Aranciata are two tiny little ones on a tomato sauce and were among the best I've ever had.

This pic makes the crust look thicker than it is- it's not paper thin but isn't massive either. It could have been a tad moister/chewier but the flavours were complex and very well chosen. I don't recall all that was on this pie but like I say it included fig. Nice salty-sweet-savoury combo.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 12:35 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
The Play & Trade video game store in Aspen Landing is also being turned into a Mucho Burrito, which is great news. Now I just need Noodle Box to close down and small pub to go in.
Ever heard of Schooners? It's the only good small bar/pub around.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 8:14 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Ever heard of Schooners? It's the only good small bar/pub around.
Too far away from my house to stumble home from. My place is right across the street from Aspen Landing. An alternative to Original Joes (which I do like) would be nice.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:37 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
mwalker, there is actually Mucho Burrito in Suncor food court but of course it's only open weekdays. Having one on 4th is going to be fantastic- closest thing in Canada to Qdoba et al. Really, really happy to hear this.
Seriously? I went to the Suncor food court Mucho Burrito once. They rolled my burrito the wrong way. The first half was pretty okay, I guess, but the second half was a tortilla filled with nothing but rice. Not knowing that you roll the burrito parallel to the axis of filling is such a fundamental disaster, I've been walking by it to go two blocks further to Taco Del Mar anytime I want a burrito. Seriously, that's like if you ordered a pizza and it came with nothing but sauce on the left side, nothing but toppings in the middle and nothing but cheese on the right side.

Also, dancing taco.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:59 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
Seriously? I went to the Suncor food court Mucho Burrito once. They rolled my burrito the wrong way. The first half was pretty okay, I guess, but the second half was a tortilla filled with nothing but rice. Not knowing that you roll the burrito parallel to the axis of filling is such a fundamental disaster, I've been walking by it to go two blocks further to Taco Del Mar anytime I want a burrito. Seriously, that's like if you ordered a pizza and it came with nothing but sauce on the left side, nothing but toppings in the middle and nothing but cheese on the right side.

Also, dancing taco.
I just want a place in Calgary that sells real Mexican style tacos. Los Compadres food truck is pretty good, but I just want some tortillas, some pico de gallo, some pulled chicken, a lime and valentinas sauce.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I just want a place in Calgary that sells real Mexican style tacos. Los Compadres food truck is pretty good, but I just want some tortillas, some pico de gallo, some pulled chicken, a lime and valentinas sauce.
A new Mexican restaurant has opened up on Edmonton Trail, right next to Diner Deluxe. Replaces a halal butcher shop I think. I was in there about 2 weeks ago, and it was very good. They are still in the early set-up stages I think, and can't remember the name of it, but this might fill your needs.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:27 PM

Noticed that a Waves Coffee shop has leased a space in the Sand Crawler.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:30 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
A new Mexican restaurant has opened up on Edmonton Trail, right next to Diner Deluxe. Replaces a halal butcher shop I think. I was in there about 2 weeks ago, and it was very good. They are still in the early set-up stages I think, and can't remember the name of it, but this might fill your needs.
I heard Salt and Pepper is really authentically Mexican. My friend's girlfriend is from Guadalajara, and she vouches that they are really Mexican and speak in Mexican slang : "Oye Guey, falta un menu en mesa tres!" "No mames guey" LOL

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
I heard Salt and Pepper is really authentically Mexican. My friend's girlfriend is from Guadalajara, and she vouches that they are really Mexican and speak in Mexican slang : "Oye Guey, falta un menu en mesa tres!" "No mames guey" LOL
I've heard that too. It is a Mexican family that is operating the restaurant I mentioned, so could be in the same vane as Salt and Pepper.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:56 PM

Quote:
My wife's from Mexico and her favourite Mexican restaurant in the city is Sabores (or maybe it's called Sabor) in the Kingsland Farmer's market. Other new places that have opened recently are definitely am improving the scene.

A few friends of hers are talking about opening a taqueria. I've heard that September/October is the target opening. They are chefs from Mexico so if it does open it will be good. I'll send an update next time I talk to them.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 9:20 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Best tacos autenticos I've had in Calgary have been from Las Tortillas by Marlboro Mall and El Mariachi Loco at Crossroads.

ByeByeBaby- my experience wasn't remotely like yours. I do like Taco Del Mar though. Another place I wish wasn't only in a M-F downtown foodcourt.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Best tacos autenticos I've had in Calgary have been from Las Tortillas by Marlboro Mall and El Mariachi Loco at Crossroads.

ByeByeBaby- my experience wasn't remotely like yours. I do like Taco Del Mar though. Another place I wish wasn't only in a M-F downtown foodcourt.
Taco Del Mar is good, we frequent the one in South Trail Crossing quite often.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 1:32 AM

Quote:

Good tacos at Paloma also in the NE. Good Mexican/Chilean restaurant.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:49 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
We get a lot of questions about where to buy espresso machines and grinders on here and I just today discovered a fantastic resource for both- it's Orange Works at North Hill Centre. It's been open since November and I thought it was just a store like Kitchen Kaboodle selling various kitchen gadgets- that it is, in part, but it also has an outstanding assortment of espresso machines, really excellent higher-end stuff, and the best assortment of domestic grinders I've seen in any store (and that includes Cappuccino King). I was very impressed.
Rusty, I just wanted to thank you for you advice and for suggesting OrangeWorks. As per your suggestion I went looking for the Rancilio Silvia so I did some shopping around. National Cappuccino sells it for $800, P&S sells it for $750 and OrangeWorks sells it for $700. This week they had a Father's Day special on and they were on sale for $650. Additionally, paired with a grinder (Baratza and Rancilio) they offered Package deals. I scored the Silvia and the Rancilio Rocky grinder for $1000

Anyway, great little shop! Nice find Rusty and thanks again!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:52 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Rusty, I just wanted to thank you for you advice and for suggesting OrangeWorks. As per your suggestion I went looking for the Rancilio Silvia so I did some shopping around. National Cappuccino sells it for $800, P&S sells it for $750 and OrangeWorks sells it for $700. This week they had a Father's Day special on and they were on sale for $650. Additionally, paired with a grinder (Baratza and Rancilio) they offered Package deals. I scored the Silvia and the Rancilio Rocky grinder for $1000

Anyway, great little shop! Nice find Rusty and thanks again!
Does the store have a Dutch connection with a name like that?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:16 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Does the store have a Dutch connection with a name like that?
It sure does. Owner is Dutch.

He told me I was the first person to ask about the connection. I guess I got there before you

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:17 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Good tacos at Paloma also in the NE. Good Mexican/Chilean restaurant.
Paloma and El Mariachi Loco are owned by the same people.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Paloma and El Mariachi Loco are owned by the same people.
Sweet, good to know.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 12:16 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Mexican in my neighbourhood!

found out it's called El Charrito Taqueria
I'll post a review after I eat there. I'll have to wait for my roommate to go with me or else she'd be unimpressed. She likes Mexican almost as much as she likes Sushi (Ramsayfarian, you and your fellow Speedgang member should go out for sushi sometime ).

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Mexican in my neighbourhood!

found out it's called El Charrito Taqueria
I'll post a review after I eat there. I'll have to wait for my roommate to go with me or else she'd be unimpressed. She likes Mexican almost as much as she likes Sushi (Ramsayfarian, you and your fellow Speedgang member should go out for sushi sometime ).
Always room for more real Mexican joints. Will be checking it out for sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation