HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 5:33 AM

Vancouver residents prefer TV to movies or live performances

Vancouver residents prefer TV to movies or live performances

VANCOUVER -- Throngs of film buffs are once again lining up on Granville Street and packing theatres to catch a flick at the Vancouver International Film Festival.

But that's not generally the norm in Metro Vancouver, where residents typically tend to flop in front of their cable or satellite TV rather than go to movies or live performances, according to the Vancouver Foundation's latest Vital Signs report.

The report, which surveyed 1,200 people on issues of livability this summer, found that Metro Vancouver residents spent more on entertainment overall in 2007 than their neighbours in Toronto, Montreal and Calgary, but they didn't go to as many movies or live performances as those in the other Canadian cities.

Instead, we tended to rent more cable and satellite TV — although we did see more sporting events and visit more museums than the Montrealers, according to the report.

Calgarians were found to be the biggest sports, performing arts and museum fans, while Montrealers were the least likely to spend money on television services.

But despite being couch potatoes, Metro Vancouver folks are out en masse this week for the annual film fest in Vancouver, which typically draws about 150,000 people every year.

Some regulars even take a two-week holiday at this time to see as many movies as possible, said Ellie O'Day, spokeswoman for the VIFF.

"It stuns me that even during the daytime matinees there could be lineups down the corner on Granville Street," O'Day said. "I'm always amazed. The evening screenings are always packed."

According to the Vital Signs report, only 41.8 per cent of residents of Metro Vancouver are exposed to sports and 40.7 per cent to the performing arts. Yet exposure to performing arts is increasing, the report stated.

It also noted that in 2008, residents of the city of Vancouver attended more classical concerts, theatre, operas, galleries and museums, on average, than people living in Toronto or Montreal.

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/V...508/story.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 6:49 AM

Doesn't really surprise me. Movies are getting more expensive, and the only theater in the City of Vancouver worth visiting is the Scotiabank place downtown. The only other major theater on Transit is Metropolis, but IMO that place is horrible (out of focus films, disgusting and small bathrooms). Many of the other theaters around town aren't worth the money, and you have to go out to the burbs to find a silver city or Colossus.

When you pay as much as you pay to see a movie, you're not just paying for the movie, but also the presentation and experience. And a lot of exhibitors around the region seem to not care about the presentation, at all. I've been to way too many theaters with out of focus projectors, or crackling speakers. Why would I pay over $10 to be annoyed?

You look at the states where they make a point of advertising the experience. They talk about the seating, digital projectors (2K or 4K?), what kind of digital sound, THX, even beer! Here it's like the theater feels it's entitled to your money, it doesn't mater how well they deliver. They alienate fans who aren't desperate to see a movie.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 8:01 AM

what about tinseltown? its downtown ish

i like the seats there

$10? when did you last go to a movie? i think its $13.95 downtown now at scotiabank and add $3 when its in 3D!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

i like the seats there

$10? when did you last go to a movie? i think its $13.95 downtown now at scotiabank and add $3 when its in 3D!
That's true it is more, but at the non stadium seating theaters it can be a bit cheaper.

Tinseltown is a bit of a hit and miss for me. While it shows some good movies you can't see elsewhere, and I do like the seats, the screens are a bit small for the theaters (2 or 3 are a good size though). As well, half the time I've been there the sound has sucked. Either the speakers are all scratchy, crackly, and poppy, or a few times the surround sound has pretty much been turned off.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 1:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:

i like the seats there

another vote from me for tinseltown

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 2:16 PM
loafing in lotusland

Vancouverites also have less disposable income... probably why live theatre and other events aren't frequented as much by the people here.

People are too busy putting in an extra shift as a barrista so they can scrape together their mortgage payment.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 3:59 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
another vote from me for tinseltown
Another one from me!

I really like the popcorn, but now I dont go to the place as much as I used to.

I mostly go to ScotiaBank in downtown since its nice, but pricy.

Silvercity Metrotown is a dump, the teenagers there do not know how to run the place properly.

Sometimes they leave the backroom lights and the dim lights on during the movie!

And the Famous players station square is never open and is a dump compared to a long time ago, not to mention the sound system is so loud it will make you deaf.

Empire Granville is ok, but now they dont play first run films, or they just pick up films not picked up by ScotiaBank and Tinseltown.

I hope the movie theatre in the Marine Gateway will be nice, or even the one connected to New west station they're building. Hopefully one day AMC will expand to Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 7:38 PM

i think cineplex gets the first pick of the movies or something - although the empire in surrey - guildford usually gets the better new movies

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 3:24 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
i think cineplex gets the first pick of the movies or something - although the empire in surrey - guildford usually gets the better new movies
Wouldn't that be controlling?

I think Empire granville can show the new films, but dont because they know people would rather pay more @ Scotia. Even thought you could've watch a new movie for like 6$ at empire.

I go to empire for new films that Tinseltown and Scoatia dont have.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:20 AM

Tinseltown has always had a problem though getting first run movies and have gotten a nice niche of playing the more artsy serious kind of non-blockbuster fare - even when it opened and didn't have to compete with paramount they had a less blockbustery selection

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:47 AM

I like Tinseltown the best. It's just depressing how empty the mall around it is .

I wish Vancouver had a real IMAX downtown.

The lineup of movies is always so strange in Vancouver. In Calgary, every theater pretty much has exactly the same movies.

In Vancouver, some theaters seem like they won't play popular movies at all~

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:57 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Tinseltown has always had a problem though getting first run movies and have gotten a nice niche of playing the more artsy serious kind of non-blockbuster fare - even when it opened and didn't have to compete with paramount they had a less blockbustery selection
Back when they opened just up until two years ago it seemed like they had no problem.

I watched many super popular films there, but yea now many artsy or small films.

The last film I saw there was Dr.Parnassus' imaginarium.

I have secret development plans for a true Imax theatre at various locations all near transit, Of course they arent real and in my head but I hope one day if I get into Retail and business to do it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment