HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^yup... well you know you can if you call me:>

I will be working corner 7 at the end of the RVs.

See you all in the RHW beer gardens fri and sat.
maybe you could tear your way out of the beer gardens to take in some of the raceweekfestival events at sutton place instead?

and maybe you could drag some of those others over with you before they get too rowdy to be seen in public with.

there's an awful lot of volunteers with an awful lot on the line personally to pull this off. it would be a shame to see them work so hard to give everyone what they said they wanted and not have any of them show up to support it.

http://raceweekfestival.com/page4/page4.html

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 6:01 PM
Community Guy

^hoping to make it there Sat night, but committed to a lot of things this weekend.

I do hope many come though as it has been an amazing venture by a lot of generous people.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 3:33 AM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I ended up picking up a pass for sunday for the gf and myself. After having a three day pass every previos year I wasn't going to go this year.

I'd still really like to go saturday for the Nascar race. It's always been the most enjoyable race of the weekend.
Last year we found the mixed class (NASCC) to be the most enjoyable to watch, even more so than the actual Indy race itself. Friday might be a mixed bag for weather, but Sat & Sun look great so far...

Last edited by Shodan; Jul 24, 2010 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 11:05 PM

Just got back from it. I was surprised at how many people came to watch the practice session. As always the Indy cars didn't disappoint, also saw a few fighter jets overhead

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 7:13 AM

If memory serves me correctly, last year's midway seemed a lot longer than this year's. It extended well past the Bud Zone, whereas this year's midway pretty much ends at it. Also no free suntan lotion (like in last year's Rexall tent). The pit walk through was pretty damp, but got some good shots of Paul, Danica, Simona, Helio, Tag, Marco and Milka.

At least 3 Ladies racing this year... Simona rode a bicycle from the paddocks to the pits, Danica had her little Honda bike and Milka rode with her pit crew on one of those tow vehicles. Interesting bio on Milka Duno (former model & naval engineer, with 4 Master's Degrees)....Overall a pretty good Friday at Indy, gonna be a hot one tomorrow...

Would be interesting to see if Danica & Milka get into another "friendly discussion" like in 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXUd6n1Vti8

Last edited by Shodan; Jul 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 7:21 PM

really do miss the grandstand on turn 1.... that was my favourite seat

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 2:01 AM

Hot day out at the track today; nice to see a local Edmonton racer win the NASCC Eurasia Cup final; a few accidents with that race. Will's at the pole again, followed by Helio. Looks like Danica will be starting in 21st place tomorrow. Good qualifying day for Simona, she placed 7th. Milka was so far off pace in her practice run yesterday they wouldn't allow her in the qualifying run today; she'll be starting at 25th (last place) and put on probation. Storm clouds started rolling in around 4 PM or so, most of the action passed north of City Centre Airport. Looking forward to the NASCAR & Indy finals tomorrow. My lady bought a shirt that says:

"Run with the Bulls, Swim with the Sharks, Race with the Girls"

Last edited by Shodan; Jul 25, 2010 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 7:37 PM
Urbis Maximus

I 'participated' in the evening festivities on RHW on Friday night with some good friends and it was hoppin'. I was out of town yesterday but heard downtown was bumpin' again. Great work to everyone thus far. Let's take it to another level for next year!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:45 AM

Interesting finish to this year's Indy, especially with Helio's little show at the end of the race (I'm sure we'll all read about it in tomorrow's paper, and the video should be on TSN or YouTube any hour now). Milka disappeared after the first few laps, and Simona held 6th place for a good portion of the race until she spun out when Viso tried to pass her on the inside and she hit the tires in front of our grandstand. She managed to recover but spun out again just a few laps short of the finish. Still a very impressive performance by her. Tag crashed with another car early on, and Paul finished 6th. Looks like Danica finished in last place. NASCAR finals were good with JR Fitzpatrick winning. Cool drifting demo before the Indy race, but most of the good action seemed to be in front of the other grandstands and further to the northwest than where we were sitting. Overall a much more enjoyable experience than last year's, although the midway was a bit lacking. We're both tired, grimy, sunburned and a little deaf, but had a great time. Looking forward to next year (hopefully!)...

Last edited by Shodan; Jul 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:46 AM

Scott Dixon wins Honda Indy Edmonton

By John Korobanik, edmontonjournal.com
July 25, 2010 10:01 PM

Scott Dixon, of Target Chip Ganassi Racing, wins after Helio Castroneves is penalized, at the Honda Indy Edmonton on July 25, 2010.
Photograph by: Jimmy Jeong, edmontonjournal.com

EDMONTON — Helio Castroneves thought he was getting the checkered flag at the Honda Indy Edmonton on Sunday. Instead, he got a black flag for blocking that cost him the victory on the track and gave the win to Target Chip Ganassi’s Scott Dixon.

“That’s the first race I’ve won without leading a lap,” Dixon said after he was moved from second to first place as Castroneves, who ignored a drive-through pit lane penalty instruction radioed to him, and was placed at the end of the lead lap, dropping him to 10th place...

jkorobanik@thejournal.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/story...21791&sponsor=

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:54 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 5:13 AM

The crowds looked pretty impressive today. It was packed everywhere. Still, I had a blast. My photos are nowhere near as good as yours, Coldrsx, but I might post a few of them tomorrow.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Great pics, Cold - Thanks for sharing!

I have a pic of my GF sitting in the driver's seat of that black Skyline (GTR) while it was parked at the far end of the NASCC paddocks near the hangars on Friday. It has an automatic transmission (sacrilege!). The driver said he spent about $40,000 on the engine alone. Looks like you got better pics of the drift demo than we did from where we were (far end of Grandstand "A" near turns 11 & 12). Would be interesting if they could include a drift competition as part of Indy in the future...

Last edited by Shodan; Jul 26, 2010 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 2:54 PM
Community Guy

^^thanks! But do post photos as I have few indy car ones.

As for that GTR... it is not an auto, it is a paddle operated manu-matic (ie. like an F1 car). It makes driving a lot easier, but personally i find it takes the real essence of driving out of the equation.

I would love to see an actual Drift competition to be included. Also, ALMS or a porsche cup series.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 10:53 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Forever immortalized in blurry white!

Thanks for the info re: GTR tranny; I did not know that. I prefer a 5 or 6 speed manual myself over paddle shifters, but I guess I'm just old fashioned...

Between my GF and I, we took well over 1000 pics this past weekend; lots to go thru but I'll post a few select ones ASAP

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Great pics, Cold - Thanks for sharing!

I have a pic of my GF sitting in the driver's seat of that black Skyline (GTR) while it was parked at the far end of the NASCC paddocks near the hangars on Friday. It has an automatic transmission (sacrilege!). The driver said he spent about $40,000 on the engine alone. Looks like you got better pics of the drift demo than we did from where we were (far end of Grandstand "A" near turns 11 & 12). Would be interesting if they could include a drift competition as part of Indy in the future...
I am involved in Drifting and I could probably shed some light on why they can't/won't do an actual DMCC Competion during the Indy.

The Main reason why they couldn't is time. There is approx. 4 hours of practice time given to drivers on the designed course before a competition. I can't see the Indy operators giving DMCC 4 hours of practice time and then another 3 hours of competition time for a full Top 16 format event.

Another reason is that it would/could limit DMCC's fan base from attending the event. Right now a full weekend pass for DMCC spectators out west here is $30. And Indy is.........

What they do for round 1 of Formula D in the states though is run on the Streets of Long Beach the weekend before the Long Beach Indy. Seems to work out ok.

I have been to both drift competitions (Formula D and DMCC) and to Demo's (Formula D and D1GP) and in all honesty the demo's are more entertaining. Mainly because the guys are out there having fun and they most often have more than 2 cars out on the track at once going wild doing whatever they want.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 12:34 PM

Gotta give Terry some credit, he's had great print coverage of the Indy ....

Indy goes international
By TERRY JONES
Last Updated: July 26, 2010 8:49pm

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/in.../14836146.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 12:35 PM

here's a list of all IndyCar articles from the Edmonton Sun....

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/indycar/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 3:10 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
Gotta give Terry some credit, he's had great print coverage of the Indy ....

Indy goes international
By TERRY JONES
Last Updated: July 26, 2010 8:49pm

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/in.../14836146.html
great article

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton