HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 4:07 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaSkyX View Post
Well, a great question would be - what does NY really have? Ok, so that's really a problem for another thread. I'd really just point out that Harrisburg HAS the potential to be something greater than it is, it just never capitalizes on that. The city's basically a suburban mess (and yes, the city limits are so tiny you really need to factor in the suburbs). I think if the area really tried to build up its mass transit, and worked on attracting young people and foreigners (this is key, they actually go hand and hand), then of course it would be a much better city. Of course, a huge part of the problem (and I feel this goes with a lot of the state as a whole) is that people are happy to leave things the way they are, and actually dislike change. I really wish the city could do things like opening some more bridges up for pedestrian traffic, because the river is probably one of the greatest things about the city.
I totally agree. And the river is one of the main things I miss about Harrisburg, especially living so close in Shipoke.

Quote:
Oh, and I guess back to prices - I'm not familiar with price increases inside the city limits. I just know that increases in the suburbs have been incredibly tame, to say the least.
It depends on what suburbs you are talking about, though. Camp Hill, Colonial Park, West Hanover, etc., saw a decent rise in prices over the last 5 years. Case in point, my friend's parents' house (near Linglestown) sold in the $160,000s in late '03. A very similar house right down the street was just up for sale and they got $197,000. I'm no real estate expert, but $30,000 in 4 years seems like a decent clip to me...

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 1:34 PM
Man on a mission

On the other hand I bought my house on 2nd streed for $170k last June. The house next door with half the square footage is on the market for $265k now. My guess is it won't sell anywhere close to that level.

I think it would be great for the Walnut Street Bridge to be repaired so that foot traffic can access City Island from both shores. Harrisburg Young Republicians have made rumblings for this proposal, but I have seen nothing in area media. I'm not even sure that anyone know how much it would cost.

As for more foot traffic across the river I would say what they have now is plenty. I never see anyone walking across the Harvey Taylor or Market Street Bridges, but I am not there during the day. There is just nothing on the West Shore to walk to.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 6:49 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Hi. New to the thread. Here's a federal courthouse update from The Patriot-News:

A NEW ICON
Friday, May 25, 2007
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

It will not be your father's federal courthouse.

Instead of the monotonous, monolithic building that looms over the city at Third and Walnut streets, the new courthouse being considered for 10 sites across Harrisburg would stand out as a vibrant piece of architecture, according to those planning the building.

"The existing courthouse does nothing to contribute to the city," said New York City architect Susan T. Rodriguez, the lead designer on the Harrisburg project.

"This new building is going to be fine architecture," she said. "This building has to stand up to higher ideals. It's a major new public building for the city of Harrisburg."

Given the estimated $100 million price tag and the emphasis on striking design under the U.S. General Services Administration's Design Excellence program, the question is: Where do you locate such a jewel?

If you listen to the GSA's project leaders and designers, this new courthouse shouldn't be shunted aside in the city's periphery, but featured as a city staple as compelling as the Susquehanna River and the Capitol dome.

"This is a great opportunity for Harrisburg to add a significant new public building," Rodriguez said. "You want to make sure where it's going is a place that really represents Harrisburg --not just an available site, but the right site and right location."

When it comes to building federal courthouses, nine times out of 10, the U.S. government locates them in cities' cores.

"For the most part, cities are wanting us in the downtown core," GSA chief architect Les Shepherd said. "It makes sense from a public infrastructure perspective. Federal courthouses typically belong in the downtown."

The GSA is studying the list of 10 sites, with a short list of two to five finalists due next month, said agency spokeswoman Gina Blyther Gilliam.

Half of the 10 sites are in the city's 100- to 500-year floodplain and won't be considered unless the other five sites are ruled out, according to GSA project director Abby Low.

Three of the remaining five sites are downtown, where GSA designers insist there are "gaps" or "missing teeth." They said the city's skyline and profile would benefit from an architecturally graceful courthouse.

"There is still a lot of opportunity downtown," Rodriguez said. "There has been great improvement ... but there's a lot of sites still available. The density is very uneven, and this is a building that's going to really contribute."

But the consensus in Harrisburg -- among Mayor Stephen R. Reed, many residents and neighborhood groups -- is that the courthouse is best suited for a mostly vacant tract at Sixth and Reily streets, just north of the Bethesda Mission homeless shelter.

They argue that the site, though somewhat remote and underdeveloped, would be transformed by a burst of planned development in nearby midtown.

Harrisburg Area Community College is expanding a branch campus; developers are planning more housing, retail, residential and office construction; and the city is contemplating a series of parking garages.

"It makes a lot of sense," Reed said of Sixth and Reily streets. He blasted the prospect of Harrisburg -- already burdened by tax-exempt government buildings -- sacrificing more prime sections downtown for the courthouse.

"That would be inexcusable," he said. "There are alternative locations available."

The three downtown sites under consideration are the southwestern corner of Third and Pine streets, including the Payne-Shoemaker and other buildings; the Dauphin County administration building at South Second and Market streets; and the southeast corner of North Second and Locust streets, including the Commerce Bank branch, Dunkin' Donuts and Sandwich Man.

Of the three sites, Reed said the only one he wouldn't oppose is the county administration building because it's already tax-exempt, but it might be too costly to move the county offices.

Yet Reed said he has little sway over the GSA, saying "only God knows where the federal courthouse is going."

Two federal courthouses built in Oregon reflect the choice facing Harrisburg.

In Portland, city officials seem happy with the striking courthouse that rises above the city's downtown.

"Here, there is a modern building juxtaposed against these older civic buildings," said Julie Rawls, a spokeswoman for the Portland Development Commission.

"It added a lot to downtown," she said. "It took a new and different approach for what a federal courthouse would look like. It's not old or stodgy at all."

But the $129 million project completed in 1997 didn't do much to spur development because the surrounding area was already built out, Rawls said.

In Eugene, the modern courthouse that attempts to blend the city's interests in art and the environment broke ground with its bold architecture and location.

The year-old building was crafted with soft lines and a fluid, flowing style by a Southern California architecture firm, appearing to give the low-rise building motion.

Mike Sullivan, the city's community development director, credited the building's location, several blocks outside of the downtown, with helping move Eugene forward by opening up more land toward the Willamette River.

But it took the GSA three times to select the site, Sullivan said.

Eugene's experience has parallels in Harrisburg, where a historic district around North Third and Forster streets made the GSA's first short list but was later scrapped along with two other residential sites. Now, the Dauphin County administration building is under consideration, despite the county's $17 million investment.

Eugene was generally happy with the results, and the futuristic courthouse has served as a development tool and as a conversation piece, Sullivan said.

"It's definitely high style," he said. "This being Oregon, there is a difference of opinion about it. Generally, I'd say the response has been strong."

What isn't up for debate is that the courthouse's location helped Eugene open up a former industrial area for further development, helping the city forge a greater connection between downtown and the river, Sullivan said.

"There is redevelopment interest on all sides of the courthouse," he said.

The question remains for Harrisburg: Should the courthouse be a downtown architectural showpiece or a new anchor in an underdeveloped part of the city?

"This is such a signature civic building," GSA's Low said. "Do you want to put that in your core and further strengthen that core, or do you want to put it on the edges? What is the most beneficial approach to the future of Harrisburg?"

Only time -- and the GSA -- will tell.

JOHN LUCIEW: 255-8171 or jluciew@patriot-news.com

©2007 The Patriot-News
© 2007 PennLive.com All Rights Reserved.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 6:50 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Another:

Design would make a statement
THE ARCHITECT
Friday, May 25, 2007
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

What will the federal courthouse planned for Harrisburg have in common with Bill Clinton's presidential library, the Newseum in Washington, D.C., and the Rose Center for Earth and Space at the American Museum of Natural History in New York?

They will all have been designed by the high-powered New York City architectural firm the Polshek Partnership.

The 140-person company bills itself as an award-winning architectural firm whose designs are "socially and technically relevant to their time and place," contributing to the life of their cities.

The firm prides itself in never designing two buildings alike, instead creating structures that have "souls" reflecting their clients' aspirations and histories, said Polshek publicity manager Sara Ambalu.

Susan T. Rodriguez, the firm's lead architect on the Harrisburg courthouse, is promising the same architectural expression for this project.

"This, undoubtedly, will be iconic," she said.

In Harrisburg, Rodriguez said she's been struck by the Susquehanna River, the city's grand governmental buildings and its compact downtown. She said her job will be to design a courthouse that brings those elements together.

"It's a beautiful city," she said, using words such as "historic fabric," "monumental," "intimate residential-scale buildings," "dignity" and "riverfront" when ticking off her impressions.

They all will influence her design, she said.

"Context of the surrounding, that is so vital to the success of the new courthouse," she said.

Along with the proper combination of materials, color and "inventive detailing," Rodriguez promised a statement-making courthouse.

"I am personally very interested in capturing the essence of Harrisburg," she said.

JOHN LUCIEW: 255-8171 or jluciew@patriot-news.com

©2007 The Patriot-News
© 2007 PennLive.com All Rights Reserved.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 7:55 PM
Me?!?

Welcome aboard, MidtownMike!

This site is just plain crazy:

The three downtown sites under consideration are the southwestern corner of Third and Pine streets, including the Payne-Shoemaker and other buildings; the Dauphin County administration building at South Second and Market streets; and the southeast corner of North Second and Locust streets, including the Commerce Bank branch, Dunkin' Donuts and Sandwich Man.

Commerce, DD, etc., are brand new spaces and it would be very silly to tear them down. The Sandwich Man is a staple and belongs right where it is! I am all for the Courthouse being in the core, but I feel that that part of 6th St. SHOULD be part of the main core and it would be really neat to see HBG do something similar to Atlanta, where the gov't side of town ended up expanding the core quite a bit. With all of the state offices, the new parking garage, the new state courthouse and this courthouse, North of Forester St. could end be being something really special...

But having faith in good, logical choices from two bumbling groups of people like the GSA and the City of Harrisburg is a mighty big leap, so I'll just sit back and hope for the best.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 10:20 PM
Man on a mission

EastSide I agree, I think the best place would be on 6th and Riley. It has next to no development now. The city would lose the tax revenue on that site but that would be $100M of investment free to the city. I think it would also add some momentum to the renaissance of Midtown.

If the CBD spreads towards the Hill and down 6th street it would help preserve the nice homes still left in my neighborhood and across Forrester in Midtown too.

It sounds like the city wants the courthouse on 6th and Riley. Now the GSA needs to have the foresight to see that the Courthouse won't be on the City periphery if the locate it on 6th.

and Oh, welcome MidtownMike. Where do you live exactly?

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 1:21 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
EastSide I agree, I think the best place would be on 6th and Riley. It has next to no development now. The city would lose the tax revenue on that site but that would be $100M of investment free to the city. I think it would also add some momentum to the renaissance of Midtown.
I agree completely. And they're going to lose the tax revenue on many of the sites, so I guess it's a wash anyway.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 2:08 PM

Pics For Out-of-Towners

I'm a former Harrisburg resident and enjoy reading about all of the great development taking place in the city. It's great to hear that the city is in a rennaissance, but it would be even better to see a few pics of what's happening downtown and in the surrounding area. Does anyone have pics they can post?

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 5:04 PM
Man on a mission

Ok so these are what I got at the moment, I probably should cut them down in size so I'll just post links.

HACC's new midtown Campus building. Looking in much better shape. It really being given a new lease on life. In fact that whole block is undergoing renovations by the College. Should drive up the price of properties in the area and assist with the Midtown Renaissance.

http://jerchamberlin.myphotoalbum.co...bum01&id=HACC3
http://jerchamberlin.myphotoalbum.co...bum01&id=HACC2
http://jerchamberlin.myphotoalbum.co...bum01&id=HACC1

The site prep of Harrisburg University of Science and Technology
http://jerchamberlin.myphotoalbum.co...bum01&id=HUST3
http://jerchamberlin.myphotoalbum.co...bum01&id=HUST2
http://jerchamberlin.myphotoalbum.co...bum01&id=HUST1

Not sure if you've seen it or not, so I'll take some pictures of the renovated State Street that was finished last fall. The new parking garage on the corner of State and 2nd should be done soon. Once it is I'll document the new hotel going in on its corner.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 5:05 PM
Man on a mission

I probably should have ask, is there anything in particular that you'd like to see a picture of?

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I probably should have ask, is there anything in particular that you'd like to see a picture of?

Great, thanks for the pics! It will be interesting to see those projects progress. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, just wanted to catch a glimpse of the new Harrisburg rising from the ashes. I hear 2nd street has finally come alive. When I lived in Harrisburg, the opening of Stocks on 2nd was a big deal. It sounds like a lot more is happening.

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 12:14 AM
Me?!?

Welcome aboard, japmes! So where are you living now?

Nice pics, Young Gun, thanks!

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 12:33 PM
Man on a mission

As promised, I took a few more last night and this morning.

View of newly completed (fall 06) State Street looking east towards the capital
http://jerchamberlin.myphotoalbum.co...01&id=IMG_1289
The two gray buildings on the right side of the photo are now condemned and will be demolished for the Aloft hotel when the parking garage that is just out of photo is completed.

View of State Street looking West towards the river
http://jerchamberlin.myphotoalbum.co...01&id=IMG_1291

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 2:11 PM
Me?!?

Graet pics, YG, thanks again! It's still very weird for me to see State St. like that, but I do like what they did with it. I wish they would plant some flowers in that grass strip, though, as it looks a little too plain right now IMO.

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 3:19 PM
Man on a mission

I think the flowers would get trampled, people cut across the median all the time. Perhaps if the curb was a little taller??

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 5:39 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

While this isn't Harrisburg proper, it most certainly has an overall positive effect on the region, including the city:

New Hershey research center aims to create jobs
Thursday, May 31, 2007
BY DAVID WENNER
Of The Patriot-News

The Hershey Center for Applied Research is intended to open the gateway to new, high-paying jobs for the area.

Its purpose is to attract and provide businesses that can benefit from being close to Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, which is across the street. A major goal is to turn medical center research -- such as drugs, medical devices or diagnostic tools -- into products, businesses and jobs.

"Growing new companies will be critical to the success of the park," said Laura Butcher, the director.

The master plan for the park, which officially opened yesterday, calls for 12 research buildings.

One has been built so far -- a three-story structure featuring laboratories for companies involved with biosciences or life sciences.

The building is owned by Wexford Science & Technology, a Baltimore firm that specializes in building research facilities near research institutions such as the medical center and its medical school. The building is on land owned by the Hershey Trust Co., which is involved in the partnership that's building the research park.

The first building, which cost $25 million, can hold 400 to 500 workers.

The first tenant is the medical center, which moved its pharmacology department and office of technology development into the building.

Also, a small business started by medical center employees, Apogee Biotechnology Corp., has leased space. Apogee develops drugs to treat diseases including cancer.

Butcher says she's optimistic most of the space in the first building will be leased after a year.

Preliminary plans for the second building are under way, and construction might begin when occupancy of the first building reaches 75 percent, she said.

Pennsylvania's fastest-growing business sector involves companies that take medical and scientific research and turn it into products that can be manufactured and sold, said Dennis Yablonsky of the state Department of Community and Economic Development.

Such jobs pay an average of $69,000 annually, he said. About 60 percent don't require a four-year college degree, although most require some sort of specialized training after high school.

The first building was built through a partnership involving local economic groups including the Harrisburg Regional Chamber, Capital Region Economic Development Corp. and the Life Sciences Greenhouse of Central Pennsylvania.

The state provided $5 million in grants and loans, and the greenhouse provided a $700,000 grant.

Backers of the park say the presence of private research facilities is essential to the medical center's continued ability to attract top-notch researchers.

DAVID WENNER: 255-8172 or dwenner@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 6:06 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

First of 71 planned townhomes being built in midtown:

CENTRAL PENN BUSINESS JOURNAL DAILY -- June 6, 2007

Reed dedicates townhouse development
Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed today dedicated the first installment of 71 planned townhouses to be built along North Fifth, North Sixth, Reily and Calder streets. The first phase involves the construction of 17 townhouses, eight of which are complete, in the 1400 block of North Sixth Street, Reed said. The 1,280-square-foot residences are called Market Place Townhomes. Prices start at $129,900, Reed said. S&A Homes, based in State College, Centre County, is developing the townhomes. The construction represents more than $8 million in construction, streetscape and infrastructure improvements to the midtown sector of the city, Reed said. - Eric Veronikis, Central Penn Business Journal

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:16 PM
Man on a mission

Not sure if it is part of the same project or not, but across the street from my friends place on the 1900 block of Green Street they demolish a set of rowhouses. Everyone in the area seemed happy to see the houses go.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:26 PM

Talking Allison Hill.Mt Pleasant/Old East Side

I stumbled onto this site thanks to a google search. First, I want to admit that I am biased. I run the non-profit group that is actively seeking to redeveop the Hill. But it seems that all 79 pages of this thread have skipped over some over the most exciting work being done in the City. They aren't skyscrapers but they sure help the City.

I couldn't quite figure out how to post picture so I put up a temp page on our server. It is graphic intensive but please take a look, it's worth it.

http://www.tchdc.net/Skyscraperpage.htm

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:05 PM
Man on a mission

Most of it is skipped over for no other reason than we don't live in that neighborhood and not alot gets mention (of a positive nature) in the paper about the Hill

I know its not an excuse, but it is a reason I guess

I have noticed the changes along Market Street as I drive through, good job!! Are the home ower occupied or are they rental units? Since you are a non profit do you buy renovate and sell or what is your business model?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations