HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Nope. Who knows what they discussed.
The presentation is online (though no video yet)

http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...71026-spec.htm

doesn't seem airport related

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:52 PM

Interesting...
http://blog.jetblue.com/austin-24-hours/
This probably doesn't mean much but I had always wondered if JetBlue was going to do anything else in Austin.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:34 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 2:44 PM

ABIA Passenger and Cargo Update September 2017:

Total passenger traffic for September 2017 was 1,099,481, up 8% compared to September 2016. September 2017 enplanements totaled 546,957, up 8.5%.

Alaska up 60.5%, BA down 2%, Delta up 16%, Volaris down 61%.

September 2017 air cargo totaled 17,258,726 lbs., up 7% compared to September 2016. International air cargo 2,379,329 lbs., up 15.5%

Total passenger traffic for January – September YTD was 10,199,848, up 10.5%, compared to January – September 2016. January – September 2017 enplanements totaled 5,113,461, up 11%.

Alaska up 17%, BA down 2%, Delta up 14%, Volaris up 217%.

January – September 2017 air cargo totaled 140,210,188 lbs., up 11% compared to September 2016. International air cargo totaled 18,011,488 lbs., up 44%.

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/sept...stin-bergstrom

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:28 PM

It appears the 10/26 city council meeting at the airport was to interview city manager candidates (sure couldn't decipher that from the agenda):

http://cityhall.blog.statesman.com/2...-city-manager/

I guess it sort of makes sense given that these candidates are flying in, but it seems kind of odd still. Why not just shuttle the candidates to city hall? I suppose maybe some of the candidates are concerned about their job search being public?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
It appears the 10/26 city council meeting at the airport was to interview city manager candidates (sure couldn't decipher that from the agenda):

I guess it sort of makes sense given that these candidates are flying in, but it seems kind of odd still. Why not just shuttle the candidates to city hall? I suppose maybe some of the candidates are concerned about their job search being public?
The city claims that they need to keep it secret, for competitive reasons.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:39 PM

Here is some more interesting rumors regarding Delta at Austin, I know this topic has been beaten to death but I find it hard to ignore stuff like this:

A mechanic from NAAS (DL AUS contract maintenance) Friday told one of our Air Ops officers that DL is offering to hire them all as full time line mechanics. He has been told that between now and February AUS is getting:

***a new Delta line maintenance store - 24 Hr operation (Located In the grass area behind current RON hard stand lot)
***a new Delta storage division, line maintenance only
***40 full time Delta new hire mechanics

DL Maintenance stores tend to be large $$$ commitments. But there happens to be a rather large gap in the Southwest/Texas region regarding a DL maintenance store & line mechanics to staff it.

http://www.deltatechops.com/mro-capa...ervice-locator

Not even RDU has a DL maintenance store and they have at least 71 daily departures (feb 2017). AUS is Geographically primed to replace the DFW MicroHub/AFP which was lost 13 years ago, subsequently stranding approx 2000 domiciled flight crew. Ironically, None of these growth changes speaks to how DL will further expand in AUS once the other 20-40 gates come on board in the next 36 months.

(AUS 2018/2019 Nine Gate expansion update is that DL has acquired 7-9 of the those 9 gates. The Sky Lounge will also be located in that new wing. WN recently requested 2-3 of the new gates from ABIA authorities and was told no, because the gates are largely accounted for by DL already. However, It’s easy to imagine that WN will get their own concourse in the Phase 2 double concourse expansion to the west, which breaks ground immediately after the 9 gates are completed)

This information seems to have some truth in it and also backs up some previous rumors. Here is another tidbit of information:

It's just my opinion, and keep that in mind, but if you look at the flight schedules loaded for AUS next spring/summer for 2018, you'll see that the mix of 717/A32X and regional jets is completely redone and all aircraft operating through AUS will apparently be a A32X family. This is a strategic maneuver by DL to lower costs and improve crew utilization, but should they open a maintenance facility it will likely be an Airbus A32X family facility having only parts for those aircraft. Whether it will be a heavy maintenance facility remains to be seen, however, in the interim, it's likely that it would be RON maintenance operation.

It would not surprise me at all if AUS airport pitched this to DL and offered a super low price to build and operate this here, they have plenty of space to expand and build to suit.

Source:
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...=aus#p19937097

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
.. He has been told that between now and February AUS is getting:

***a new Delta line maintenance store - 24 Hr operation (Located In the grass area behind current RON hard stand lot)
***a new Delta storage division, line maintenance only
***40 full time Delta new hire mechanics
If this is true, ABIA is going to get a massive DL expansion and focus city - hub status. There's no way that amount of commitment would be made without it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 10:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I also find it very interesting if Delta is indeed taking all of the gates which is also very telling, though I would be very surprised if all 9 including the international gates are really going to one carrier. I can see 7 Maybe unless Delta is planning year around trans-oceanic routes. It would line up with their "test flight Austin-Amsterdam"

This guy on Airliners.net seems pretty sure that this massive gate expansion he speaks of is definitely going to happen. If the master plan is released around the same time the possible large expansion is announced, then the timeframe of up to 36 months from 2019 does seem to fit. Of course we won't know until the master plan is released if any of this is true.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I also find it very interesting if Delta is indeed taking all of the gates which is also very telling, though I would be very surprised if all 9 including the international gates are really going to one carrier. I can see 7 Maybe unless Delta is planning year around trans-oceanic routes. It would line up with their "test flight Austin-Amsterdam"

This guy on Airliners.net seems pretty sure that this massive gate expansion he speaks of is definitely going to happen. If the master plan is released around the same time the possible large expansion is announced, then the timeframe of up to 36 months from 2019 does seem to fit. Of course we won't know until the master plan is released if any of this is true.
If I am hearing you correct you are thinking that this rumor is saying that Delta will take all 9 new gates, it says 7/9, likely excluding the two dual jetbridge gates. I'm sure all of us can agree that the master plan can't come soon enough, I wonder what's in store for the future of ABIA.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 1:39 AM

The master plan will be released next fall according to ABIA.

Also, in case anyone is interested, I have posted a few photos of the 2 747's that visited Austin during the past few weeks. Feel free to check out my photos!

United:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bahpv71A...y=plane.photos
Delta:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba7t2CBA...y=plane.photos

Will make sure to post more photos of the two planes and their visit to Austin soon!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS View Post
The master plan will be released next fall according to ABIA.

Also, in case anyone is interested, I have posted a few photos of the 2 747's that visited Austin during the past few weeks. Feel free to check out my photos!

United:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bahpv71A...y=plane.photos
Delta:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba7t2CBA...y=plane.photos

Will make sure to post more photos of the two planes and their visit to Austin soon!
Cool pics, I sure wish I could have flown on these birds before they will see they're end.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:49 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
If I am hearing you correct you are thinking that this rumor is saying that Delta will take all 9 new gates, it says 7/9, likely excluding the two dual jetbridge gates. I'm sure all of us can agree that the master plan can't come soon enough, I wonder what's in store for the future of ABIA.
Your right. I misread, he does mean 7 out of the 9 gates and those are likely the 2 internationals.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Your right. I misread, he does mean 7 out of the 9 gates and those are likely the 2 internationals.
I’d have a hard time believing an airline could own the two dual gate jetbridges too .

6/9 of the new gates will be able to accompany international traffic. Plenty of new space for rumored destinations.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 6:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:

The Master plan won't tell us anything about the business partnerships. It'll have a recommended plan based on current growth, 2-3 recommended alternates and then a number of other alternates. However, a change in demand due to a major deal could lead them to pursue an alternate expansion option that is contained in the new plan instead of whatever the initial recommended option is. For example, the option that most maximizes the current infrustructure would be the northern terminal extension and southern piers so maybe that is the recommended initial option. However, they will absolutely contain plans that are new terminal builds as alternates. An offer from Delta that essentially is, "We want our own terminal now. Here is X amount of dollars" could lead them to table the main terminal extension/piers and instead pursue the 2nd terminal option first then do the main terminal extension after a new terminal is open.

TLDR: The master plan will show us what's possible and the following business deals will motivate what options are selected.

Question: Will the new maintenance facility being built at the Airport's northeast corner lead to the demo of many of the old buildings at the center of the grounds near the tower and South Terminal?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Question: Will the new maintenance facility being built at the Airport's northeast corner lead to the demo of many of the old buildings at the center of the grounds near the tower and South Terminal?
No word on that, very well could happen though.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
The Master plan won't tell us anything about the business partnerships. It'll have a recommended plan based on current growth, 2-3 recommended alternates and then a number of other alternates. However, a change in demand due to a major deal could lead them to pursue an alternate expansion option that is contained in the new plan instead of whatever the initial recommended option is. For example, the option that most maximizes the current infrustructure would be the northern terminal extension and southern piers so maybe that is the recommended initial option. However, they will absolutely contain plans that are new terminal builds as alternates. An offer from Delta that essentially is, "We want our own terminal now. Here is X amount of dollars" could lead them to table the main terminal extension/piers and instead pursue the 2nd terminal option first then do the main terminal extension after a new terminal is open.

TLDR: The master plan will show us what's possible and the following business deals will motivate what options are selected.
I see what your saying. So regardless of what the master plan shows, it depends on factors such as a possible Delta expansion or other market drivers such as air traffic growth that will ultimately be the key to how the port expands.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:57 PM

I like the idea that pretty much ALL the rumors are kind of coalescing around a big Delta move at AUS. The question is whether it's just limited to a portion of the new expansion or it's big enough to reconfigure the next expansion, too.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I see what your saying. So regardless of what the master plan shows, it depends on factors such as a possible Delta expansion or other market drivers such as air traffic growth that will ultimately be the key to how the port expands.
That is correct, we won't really know what's going on till some of these rumors come true.

Quote:
I like the idea that pretty much ALL the rumors are kind of coalescing around a big Delta move at AUS. The question is whether it's just limited to a portion of the new expansion or it's big enough to reconfigure the next expansion, too.
I agree, all of these rumors continue to back up an increased Delta presence at AUS in the coming years. Maybe big enough to affect the next expansion as well. For now most rumors make Delta's plans at AUS look like a RDU clone.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:50 PM

Air Canada upgrades to add more daily seats on Austin-Toronto

A

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin