HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Jan 30, 2005, 2:46 PM
Honored Member

Dubai Waterfront

I don't know how they do it but they seem to amaze me every time with bigger projects.

Their latest urban walhalla : the Waterfront !

http://www.dubaiwaterfront.ae

Old Posted Jan 30, 2005, 3:02 PM
BANNED

The part in the video where they show a rough sketch of the coast of Dubai, with the waterfront drawn, the Jebel Ali port, the Palm islands, World islands, and hydropolis.. it looks so crowded. They're trying to squeeze everything on the coast.

The Waterfront looks great, but I think they took water-based projects a tad too far. The Palm Deira is also a really bad project. They should scrap it or change it and make it better than the Waterfront.

As Lucky 24 said in a thread in the Projects & Updates section, some parts of the project look like a 1950's view of what the year 1990 would look like.. but that's alright I guess.

I'm still very worried about lack of affordable accomodation for the lower income group in the city. Not all projects should target the higher end.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2005, 3:07 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldozerGirl

I'm still very worried about lack of affordable accomodation for the lower income group in the city. Not all projects should target the higher end.
I would love to see some pictures of affordable houses + are there any developments planned for this category of people ?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldozerGirl

I would love to see some pictures of affordable houses + are there any developments planned for this category of people ?
Nope

Old Posted Jan 31, 2005, 1:35 PM
BANNED

Are there images of this 8000-room hotel in Madinat Al Arab of the Waterfront on their site?

I think it's about time we counted the total number of hotel rooms that would be available. Didn't they say DubaiLand would have 40 hotels of 1000 rooms each? The Atlantis doubled its rooms from 1000 when first proposed, to 2000.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2005, 2:25 AM

In this picture you will see Dubai Waterfront in actual size, only the Arabian Canal and Jebel Ali Airport are incorrect.

This picture shows the available land for Dubai.

Old Posted May 13, 2005, 12:41 PM
Honored Member

amazing stuff over there

Old Posted May 21, 2005, 10:38 PM
Never been to El Paso

dubai is actually preparing for the alien landings...lol

Old Posted Jun 5, 2005, 12:58 AM
Time in the Quantum Foam

cool photography XREX

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 7:25 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I wonder 30 years from now, how built out will Dubai be? I am guessing it will be completely full with a population of 4-5 million people, and probably the most important city in the middle east.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 10:44 PM

^

It is already the most important destination in the middle east.

We've set our vision higher.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2005, 9:21 AM
Honored Member

How are the actual works on the extension of the Creek towards Jumeirah ?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2005, 3:10 AM
BANNED

Wow, amazing!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2005, 8:12 PM

The plans look absolutely beautiful, and I have high hopes they come to fruition, however I hope the hubris of Dubai stays in check. With the recent events of New Orleans, one has to wonder about a man made community in the sea.

Those whom the gods would destroy they first make all powerful.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2006, 10:40 PM
Downtology

Wow that's amazing, but I doubt that all of that is going to get built, if not any.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 5:58 PM
Information Age

amazing! I hope they are gonna build at least some of that....
---GO Dubai---

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSpam
Wow that's amazing, but I doubt that all of that is going to get built, if not any.
all of them are u/c now except the huge canal

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 10:03 PM
Philly Roots

How you or the US paying paying for this?
Oil

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 3:56 PM

Exclamation Asian workers riot at Dubai skyscraper

Yikes!!!:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/....ap/index.html

Foreign-labor unrest disrupts construction of tallest building

Wednesday, March 22, 2006; Posted: 10:25 p.m. EST (03:25 GMT)

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- Asian workers angered by low salaries and mistreatment smashed cars and offices in a riot that interrupted construction Wednesday of what is meant to be the world's tallest skyscraper -- including a luxury hotel run by Giorgio Armani.

The violence, which caused an estimated $1 million damage, illustrated the growing unrest among foreign workers who are the linchpin of Dubai's breathtaking building boom.

Some 2,500 workers on the Burj Dubai tower and surrounding housing developments chased and beat security officers Tuesday night, then broke into offices where they smashed computers and files, witnesses said. They said about two dozen cars and construction machines were wrecked.

When the laborers, who work for the Dubai-based firm Al Naboodah Laing O'Rourke, returned to the vast construction site Wednesday, they demanded better pay and employment conditions and refused to return to work. In a sympathy strike, thousands of laborers building a terminal at Dubai International Airport also lay down their tools.

"Everyone is angry here. No one will work," said Khalid Farouk, 39, a laborer with Al Naboodah. Others said their leaders were asking for pay raises. Skilled carpenters on the site earn $7.60 per day, with laborers getting $4 per day.

The riot was a rare outbreak of violence, but it was not the first sign of discontent among the foreigners who form the overwhelming majority of private sector workers in most oil-rich Gulf countries.

There have been strikes in recent months in Qatar and Oman. In April, Bangladeshis stormed their own embassy in Kuwait, protesting working conditions that human rights activists have denounced as "slave-like."

Millions of foreign workers have flooded Gulf nations, outweighing the population of citizens in Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar. In Saudi Arabia, foreign workers make up about 21 percent of the population of more than 26 million, but labor unrest is rare in the tightly controlled country.

The foreigners are professionals like doctors, scientists, businessmen and oil workers; skilled laborers such as electricians; or do unskilled jobs in restaurants or homes. Human rights groups have often decried abuse of low-paid foreign workers by their employers -- particularly of women in domestic labor.

In the Emirates, where some estimates say more than three-quarters of the population of around 5 million people are foreigners, migrants from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China and elsewhere have provided the low-wage muscle behind one of the world's great building booms.

Dubai, one of seven emirates making up the country, hosts some 300,000 South Asians working in the construction field alone, helping propel it from a primitive town of 20,000 five decades ago to a gridlocked metropolis of 1.5 million -- only 12 percent of whom are citizens.

But workers complain their employers often withhold pay. They enjoy few legal protections and no minimum wage, work in the extreme heat, and many of them live in military-style desert camps.

Angry workers in the Emirates held more than two dozen strikes over unpaid salaries last year, mainly in Dubai. The Labor Ministry responded with a crackdown on companies, helping win back pay and other benefits for some workers.

Labor officials said companies that breach contracts embarrass the image-conscious Emirates by attracting condemnation from the United Nations, the United States and Human Rights Watch.

On Wednesday, crowds of blue-garbed workers milled in the shadow of the gray concrete Burj Dubai, now 36 stories tall, while leaders negotiated with officials from the company and the Ministry of Labor.

An Interior Ministry official who investigates labor issues, Lt. Col. Rashid Bakhit Al Jumairi, said the workers were petitioning Al Naboodah, one of the Emirates' biggest construction conglomerates, for overtime pay, better medical care and humane treatment by foremen.

"They are asking for small things," Al Jumairi said. "I promised them I would sit with them until everything is settled."

Later Wednesday, a spokesman for Al Naboodah Laing O'Rourke blamed the violence on "misinformation and misunderstanding with some of our work force."

The spokesman, Mark Way, said in a statement that the "issues have now been addressed and resolved" and the workers were resuming their jobs. He gave no details on how the workers' complaints were addressed, and workers' representatives could not be immediately reached for comment.

The unrest marred what otherwise appears to be smooth construction of the Burj Dubai, which is to be a spire-shaped, stainless-steel-skinned tower expected to soar far beyond 100 stories. A section of the tower is to host a 172-room luxury hotel operated by Armani, the Italian fashion designer.

The $900 million Burj is due to be completed by 2008.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 7:25 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

One thread on this is enough methinks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa