HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 9:50 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

The Manitoba Provincial Politics Discussion

In the spirit of keeping 'Winnipeg Construction' strictly about urban development. I thought the time was right to give provincial public policy issues their own space.

----------
mod edit: political parties websites added

ndp party of manitoba website
http://todaysndp.ca/

conservative party of manitoba website
http://www.pcmanitoba.com/

liberal party of manitoba website
http://mlp.manitobaliberals.ca/

Last edited by 1ajs; Jul 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 9:51 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Manitoba removes speedbumps to increase immigration
Province hopes to attract more skilled immigrants

By ROSS ROMANIUK, SUN MEDIA | Sept. 16, 2008

Manitoba can expect to pull in skilled immigrants at a faster pace because of speedbumps removed from a provincial government nominee program, Labour Minister Nancy Allan said today.

The nominee program has been streamlined through a removal of a licensing requirements list — a change aimed at allowing any skilled worker with Manitoba ties to apply to relocate to this province.

At the Philippine-Canadian Centre of Manitoba, Allan announced that the move means that every applicant to the Provincial Nominee Program is assessed purely on occupational merit and potential employability based mainly on training and experience.

Allan added that it’s hoped that the removal of the “barrier” will enable Manitoba to boost its immigration. Last year, the province saw nearly 11,000 new immigrants and their families. Also in 2007, the province’s population rose by more than 13,000 — its second-highest hike since the 1970s.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 11:54 PM

That's good news. In addition to the nominee program, which I think is fantastic, it is of my opinion that we should set up quotas for refugees. Beyond quotas for countries, x, y, z, we should look at the rest of applications like resumes. Select only the most adequate. I know, certainly federally, that everyone has to wait their turn. I don't understand that. We can't have immigration be an arm of global welfare. We can set aside a bit for that, but the rest needs to be done in the best interests of the economics of the province. I think if you can streamline a system using those 3 tools of immigration - the nominee program, pre-set quotas for those who are struggling abroad, and hand selection - makes for a very, very strong program that hels some in need, allows families to build themselves, and fills necessary economic voids with valuable individuals.

Beyond all this, it is absolutely PARAMOUNT that we add more social housing. That article in the Free Press a few weeks back regarding the Iraqi family who immigrated here, and is living in absolutely squalor because no reasonable places exist to them is terrible. IF we are going to be bringing refugee status individuals in (which I think to a certain number is a wonderful idea) that we need to have the proper infrastructure to set them forth in their new Manitoban life. Otherwise we're wasting the time of the refugees, and the tax payer dollars of Manitobans, and worst of all, creating a human violation.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 11:54 PM
surely you agree with me

said in the paper today that winnipeg's CMA population is expected to reach 3/4 of a million by 2012...will grow by 7000 this year.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 1:31 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Sounds good. How long do you figure it will be before the city has a metro pop of 800,000?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 3:11 AM
Back from the dead

This is very good news ...at least it seems like it. I'm not clear on what it is that they've removed though. Given that I'm all for increased immigration and think the PNP is the greatest thing for this province, I can't help but wonder if maybe there is a certain line we don't want to cross. These licensing requirements or whatever they are...well, why were they a requirement in the first place ?

Many of the immigrants that I've talked to have told me that part of their problem is that their skills aren't recognized in Canada. The reason for this makes good sense : not all training is equal. A doctor in India may well be a great doctor by Indian standards but upon arrival in Canada , the tools at their disposal and the methods used to deliver quality healthcare confound them. It's not that they can't adapt of course but it costs money and new arrivals seldom have much no matter what their status was back home.

So, with that said, what exactly is it that we've relaxed here as far as the rules go ? Are we making it easier for skilled workers to get up to speed in Canada by doing the paperwork later (not necessarily a good thing) or are we getting rid of a level of unnecessary bureaucracy ?

As I said, don't get me wrong, we need more people and I'm very glad to hear that we're finally getting them. I just want to know if we're going about it with the same level of responsibility as always.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:09 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

Sounds good. How long do you figure it will be before the city has a metro pop of 800,000?
The Capital Region outside the CMA is about 50 - 60,000 people.

When the CMA reaches 750K.. the Capital Region will pass 800K

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:24 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
The Capital Region outside the CMA is about 50 - 60,000 people.

When the CMA reaches 750K.. the Capital Region will pass 800K
Question... do you know if there is a defined capital region? Is Selkirk in the capital region?

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Sep 19, 2008 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 3:56 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

MGEU wants province to pay better mileage

Updated: September 17 at 02:55 AM CDT | Winnipeg Free Press

RISING gas prices have provoked Manitoba's largest public sector union to call on the Doer government to better reimburse workers who use their own vehicles.

The Manitoba Government and General Employees' Union launched a campaign Tuesday to urge Finance Minister Greg Selinger to increase the mileage reimbursement rate the province uses to compensate workers who travel to do their jobs.

MGEU president Peter Olfert said the campaign will also demand the government adjust the rate regularly when the price of gas rises or falls.

He said those workers most impacted by high gas costs are rural home-care workers and social workers who have to travel long distances as part of their jobs.

Olfert said Manitoba has the lowest mileage reimbursement rate at 39.7 cents per kilometre. Other provinces are about 10 cents higher.

The union hopes to meet with the provincial government in the coming weeks to decide what reimbursement rate would be fair.

The MGEU commissioned a public poll on the issue and found that 75 per cent of Manitobans agreed with the union's position that requiring employees to cover more of the costs of gas than before was "unfair." The poll was considered accurate to within five percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 9:02 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Anyone want to make some predictions regarding Manitoba's 14 federal ridings?

Here are my "I'd bet on it" picks:

NDP
Elmwood-Transcona
Winnipeg North
Winnipeg Centre

Liberal
St. Boniface
Winnipeg South Centre

Conservatives
Brandon - Souris
Charleswood - St.James - Assiniboia
Dauphin - Swan River
Kildonan - St. Paul
Portage - Lisgar
Provencher
Selkirk - Interlake

Too close (for me) to call:

Churchill: I think it'll be close between Keeper and Nikki Ashton. That said, Bev Desjardins is not running this time to split the NDP vote, so this could very well give Ashton a huge advantage. Question is, will Keeper being an incumbent make-up the difference?

Winnipeg South: John Loewen may appeal to the old PC Party type of voter. However, Fletcher cleaned his clock in the last election, in Charleswood. As for Bruinooge, I can't stand that guy and I would like nothing more than seeing him experience electoral defeat. I believe he beat out Alcock by about 100 votes in the last election. The timing of this election may give the Libs the edge. It's not winter, so many university students who also live in the riding may vote, who wouldn't otherwise on a cold January day (and that usually won't be a Conservative vote, unless things have changed drastically from my UofM days).

Ridings that people may claim could be close, but I don't:

St. Boniface: People constantly underestimate Simard. I'm also thinking that the old unwritten rule that you need a French surname to win federally is still in effect for this riding. It's only the people who take CJOB seriously that will buy into the Shelley Glover "tough on crime" single issue mentality.

Winnipeg South Centre: no way the densely populated area of Osbourne Village votes for anything that looks or smells Conservative. Also, people underestimate the strength of the organization and network of the Neville campaign. Kennerd is a former Bomber kicker... not sure what his other qualifications may be, or if kicking a football is a qualification for anything other than... kicking a football. He's working hard at retail politics in the area, but I think it's an area where people are more concerned regarding national issues of social importance (and I'm not referring to social importance as being "wholesome family values" - quite the opposite actually).

And, a note about Provencher (Vic Toews):

It'll be interesting to see if this Mennonite-dominated area is willing to turn a blind eye, and become total hypocrites in voting for Vic Toews.

Toews has fathered a child out of wedlock with a much younger woman (apparently in her early '20s). As such, he's now undergoing a very messy divorce.
Source: Click Here (page two of the article)

Vic's a man who so obviously defied one of the most basic of the 'core family values.' He's a man who in elections past portrayed himself as an old-fashioned moralist. Are they willing to turn a blind eye and stick-it to God/Jesus/the Church/the Ten Commandments? We'll see. You can be sure that in another Toews landslide, most of those votes would've been from someone of a Mennonite or otherwise religious fundamental background. They're doing their best in Steinbach to have this issue go away.

Remember last election, when a sign went up in Winker (another heavily Mennonite area), indicating that "A vote for the Liberals is a vote for the Devil" (in reference to same-sex marriage). I'd like to go down to Steinbach this weekend with my own sign: "A vote for Toews is a vote for adultery." Though, I'll try to think up something a bit wittier...

Don't get me wrong... I'm not religious myself. But I do so enjoy watching (and pointing out) the hypocrisy and contradictions of religious groups.

On another note... Ritz the Ag Minister... joking around about listeriosis. Stupid bastard! I do, however, enjoy watching the Cons shoot themselves in the foot... no wonder Harper keeps a tight leash on those guys.

http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...noo3vZcsj8FWAQ

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Sep 18, 2008 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:38 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post

It'll be interesting to see if this Mennonite-dominated area is willing to turn a blind eye, and become total hypocrites in voting for Vic Toews.

Toews has fathered a child out of wedlock with a much younger woman (apparently in her early '20s). As such, he's now undergoing a very messy divorce.

Vic's a man who so obviously defied one of the most basic of the 'core family values.' He's a man who in elections past portrayed himself as an old-fashioned moralist. Are they willing to turn a blind eye and stick-it to God/Jesus/the Church/the Ten Commandments? We'll see. You can be sure that in another Toews landslide, most of those votes would've been from someone of a Mennonite or otherwise religious fundamental background. They're doing their best in Steinbach to have this issue go away.

Remember last election, when a sign went up in Winker (another heavily Mennonite area), indicating that "A vote for the Liberals is a vote for the Devil" (in reference to same-sex marriage). I'd like to go down to Steinbach this weekend with my own sign: "A vote for Toews is a vote for adultery." Though, I'll try to think up something a bit wittier...

Don't get me wrong... I'm not religious myself. But I do so enjoy watching (and pointing out) the hypocrisy and contradictions of religious groups.

Now, tell us how you really feel about Vic. Don't hold anything back now!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:27 AM

Quote:

/ALeqM5g2UVGvdEMmroNVnoo3vZcsj8FWAQ[/url]
Umm that's one sick activity you do for fun, you seriously go around telling religious groups and people what they are doing wrong, for the sole purpose of making yourself feel better about your own believes or lack there of. What about teachings of forgiveness, who's to say that if these people vote for Vic its not because they believe that we are all human and can make mistakes and that perhaps this man has made some mistakes in his life, and that at the same time he is still capable of representing their best interests for the community. I don't see why you should be going and telling these people how to vote based off of your sick pleasures of pointing out hypocrisy.

While I don't support Vic nor do I denounce him, I can still respect the man for accomplishments he's made and the effort he has put in to serve his country and constituents. Just like I can respect other MPs for their good works even though they may not follow all of the same believes as I do.

Just a thought but maybe you should put your efforts into something more productive and beneficial.

Last edited by thegreattait; Sep 19, 2008 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:14 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreattait View Post
Umm that's one sick activity you do for fun, you seriously go around telling religious groups and people what they are doing wrong, for the sole purpose of making yourself feel better about your own believes or lack there of.
How is this not exactly what Christian groups do? Please... I'd be interested for you to point out how my highlighting what they are "doing wrong" to make me "feel better" is any different than the tactics utilized and what they foist from the pulpit. (hey, I just got to point out another hypocrisy, thanks!).

Secondly, of course I'm not really going down to Steinbach with a sign! I never said I was going to, just that I would "like to." Much like how I'd like to get a BJ from Scarlett Johansson.... I've said it many times, yet it still hasn't transpired.

Please note, if I'm going to do something, I will clearly indicate it. "Like to" is a dream, not a declaration of pending action.

Quote:
What about teachings of forgiveness, who's to say that if these people vote for Vic its not because they believe that we are all human and can make mistakes and that perhaps this man has made some mistakes in his life, and that at the same time he is still capable of representing their best interests for the community.
Did Vic ask for forgiveness? Or, is everyone in Steinbach and the Mennonite churches turning a blind eye? Trust me, no asking for the forgiveness of the Provencher electorate has been made. In '06, Vic ran as an old-fashioned moralist, showcasing his family and playing up social values. Liar!

Quote:
I don't see why you should be going and telling these people how to vote based off of your sick pleasures of pointing out hypocrisy.
I refer you to my earlier response re: "telling people what they are doing wrong." Again, religious groups seem to be allowed to do it, why can't I?

If anything, you've helped to highlight a common Christian notion that majority opinion is allowed many enhanced freedoms of speech as opposed to a minority view such as mine. Besides, I'm an obscure internet poster here on SSP. I ask... which is less problematic... me here on an internet forum, or the Winkler sign? What do you find more outrageous?

Quote:
While I don't support Vic nor do I denounce him, I can still respect the man for accomplishments he's made and the effort he has put in to serve his country and constituents. Just like I can respect other MPs for their good works even though they may not follow all of the same believes as I do.
While I don't vote for the Cons, and I am not a fan of Vic, I do understand your argument as there have been certain MPs or MLAs from parties that I oppose, which I have personally respected the work they have done and their dedication to our country, province, blah blah blah.

Quote:
Just a thought but maybe you should put your efforts into something more productive and beneficial.
If everyone here put their efforts into something productive and beneficial, we wouldn't be posting to internet forums now would we?

Anyway, will the hard-core Mennonites vote strategically, or will they decide based on their beliefs and vote for the Christian Heritage Party? Guess we'll see!

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Sep 19, 2008 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:48 PM

Quote:
How is this not exactly what Christian groups do? Please... I'd be interested for you to point out how my highlighting what they are "doing wrong" to make me "feel better" is any different than the tactics utilized and what they foist from the pulpit. (hey, I just got to point out another hypocrisy, thanks!).

Secondly, of course I'm not really going down to Steinbach with a sign! I never said I was going to, just that I would "like to." Much like how I'd like to get a BJ from Scarlett Johansson.... I've said it many times, yet it still hasn't transpired.

Please note, if I'm going to do something, I will clearly indicate it. "Like to" is a dream, not a declaration of pending action.

Did Vic ask for forgiveness? Or, is everyone in Steinbach and the Mennonite churches turning a blind eye? Trust me, no asking for the forgiveness of the Provencher electorate has been made. In '06, Vic ran as an old-fashioned moralist, showcasing his family and playing up social values. Liar!

I refer you to my earlier response, as well I'll again mention the sign in front of a Winker church in '06 "A Vote for the Liberals is a Vote for the Devil."

If anything, you've helped to highlight the Christian belief that majority opinion is allowed many enhanced freedoms of speech as opposed to a minority view such as mine. Besides, I'm an obscure internet poster here on SSP. I ask... which is less problematic... me here on an internet forum, or the Winkler sign? What do you find more outrageous?

While I don't vote for the Cons, and I am not a fan of Vic, I do understand your argument as there have been certain MPs or MLAs from parties that I oppose, which I have personally respected the work they have done and their dedication to our country, province, blah blah blah.

Nonetheless, if Vic has read a script handed to him by the PMO that you have agreed with, I suppose that's well worth giving him unquestioned loyalty.

If everyone here put their efforts into something productive and beneficial, we wouldn't be posting to internet forums now would we?

Anyway, will the hard-core Mennonites vote strategically, or will they decide based on their beliefs and vote for the Christian Heritage Party? Guess we'll see!
Well first of all it has to do with intentions, most of the religion groups I know, if they do tell you that you are doing something wrong its not because they want to make themselves feel better its because they want you to understand so that you no longer commit those same "sins" and so that you can be "saved", be able to go to heaven etc. etc. depending on the religion.

They tell you what you are doing wrong for your benefit not for theirs, so this is how it differs from what you are doing; your self gratification is not the same as a religious group wanting to "save" your soul.

Also I mistook your "I would like to" for an "I am going to" my apologies.

As for Vic asking for forgiveness I never said that he did, nor did I say the people would turn a blind eye. You can forgive someone who has not asked for forgiveness, and at the same time you can be fully aware of what was done and not have to pretend it didn't happen.

At no point in time did I suggest your right to freedom of speech should be taken away, so don't start saying that I think religious people deserve more rights then you because that's not what I said. What I was implying is that through your own free will and good judgment I would hope that you would not go do such an act of protest such as march around Steinbach with a sign. By all means if you want to, you are allowed to; I just think that it's the right thing to do, in this situation.

Also I do not condone the sign put forward in that community, I think it was an over characterization of the liberal party, just because I don't approve of your "potential" actions does not bean by default that I approve of theirs.

Also I don't have unconditional support for anyone, everyone makes mistakes. So my support of the Conservatives goes only as far as how much I support each of their decision and actions. Depending on the idea or action, I can strongly support them or completely disagree with them, in the end more of their actions and decision at this point in time line up with what I believe in, so they get my vote this time around. However some of their actions and decisions I don't believe in, I don't think there are very many people that support 100% of what any party wants.

As for being productive I think posting comments on relevant topics that concern our city, province, country and the world we live in is productive. These actions helped to build understanding and knowledge that can be applied to other activities that will result in more noticeable outcomes.

It's just like studying; just because it doesn't give you anything at the moment you doing it doesn't mean it won't affect some outcome or activity latter on in your life.

I'll wait for your response, then I think we should PM this back and forth if you want to from here so that we don't plug up this forum with our philosophical debates

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 5:14 AM

Conservatives
Brandon - Souris
Dauphin - Swan River
Kildonan - St. Paul
Portage - Lisgar
Provencher
Selkirk - Interlake
Winnipeg South
Winnipeg South Centre

NDP
Elmwood-Transcona
Winnipeg North
Winnipeg Centre

Liberal
St. Boniface
Churchill

I'm wishin' and a hopin' that St. Boniface falls to Shelly Glover, and I do think she has a shot, but in the end of the day, I think Simard will be headed back to Ottawa.
I think Tina Keeper hauls in Churchill for the Liberals, although, aside from last election's split vote, this is perhaps the only riding I know near nothing about.
I think Anita Neville's days are done in Winnipeg South Centre. It will likely be very tight, but I do think there are a few more Conservatives in Osborne Village than some give credit too. Not tonnes, but enough to get Kennerd into the House.
Rod Bruinooge is in my opinion a very safe Conservative seat. A lot of attention is being given to Loewen, but I can honestly say, I have yet to see a John Loewen yard sign. This is my riding and I have spent some time going up and down streets in Riel, River Park South and it is nothing but Tory Blue. I could be surprised, and although I don't think it will be a blow out, I think it's a comfortable Tory win.
Elmwood-Transcona, I'm sorry OtL, but I can't see Maloway losing. I couldn't see Curious George losing in that riding. As long as you have a pulse and you sport an orange banner, you're in. But I do agree, Maloway is a hack.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 5:07 PM

[QUOTE=DowntownWpg;3808582]Anyone want to make some predictions regarding Manitoba's 14 federal ridings?

Here are my "I'd bet on it" picks:

NDP
Elmwood-Transcona
Winnipeg North
Winnipeg Centre

Liberal
St. Boniface
Winnipeg South Centre

Conservatives
Brandon - Souris
Dauphin - Swan River
Kildonan - St. Paul
Portage - Lisgar
Provencher
Selkirk - Interlake

Too close (for me) to call:

Churchill: I think it'll be close between Keeper and Nikki Ashton. That said, Bev Desjardins is not running this time to split the NDP vote, so this could very well give Ashton a huge advantage. Question is, will Keeper being an incumbent make-up the difference?

Winnipeg South: John Loewen may appeal to the old PC Party type of voter. However, Fletcher cleaned his clock in the last election, in Charleswood. As for Bruinooge, I can't stand that guy and I would like nothing more than seeing him experience electoral defeat. I believe he beat out Alcock by about 100 votes in the last election. The timing of this election may give the Libs the edge. It's not winter, so many university students who also live in the riding may vote, who wouldn't otherwise on a cold January day (and that usually won't be a Conservative vote, unless things have changed drastically from my UofM days).

Ridings that people may claim could be close, but I don't:

St. Boniface: People constantly underestimate Simard. I'm also thinking that the old unwritten rule that you need a French surname to win federally is still in effect for this riding. It's only the people who take CJOB seriously that will buy into the Shelley Glover "tough on crime" single issue mentality.

Winnipeg South Centre: no way the densely populated area of Osbourne Village votes for anything that looks or smells Conservative. Also, people underestimate the strength of the organization and network of the Neville campaign. Kennerd is a former Bomber kicker... not sure what his other qualifications may be, or if kicking a football is a qualification for anything other than... kicking a football. He's working hard at retail politics in the area, but I think it's an area where people are more concerned regarding national issues of social importance (and I'm not referring to social importance as being "wholesome family values" - quite the opposite actually).

On another note... Ritz the Ag Minister... joking around about listeriosis. Stupid bastard! I do, however, enjoy watching the Cons shoot themselves in the foot... no wonder Harper keeps a tight leash on those guys.

http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...noo3vZcsj8FWAQ[/QUO

Newbie to SSP
I live near Steinbach and this was the first I heard of this....
WOW ... I didn't know Vic had it in him

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 5:49 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
Newbie to SSP
From one newbie to another, welcome!

Quote:
I live near Steinbach and this was the first I heard of this....
Spread the word! Feel free to print-off my post regarding Vic and hand it out at the bar... oh wait... I meant the coffee shop.

Quote:
WOW ... I didn't know Vic had it in him
The pharmaceutical industry has made billions by giving wealthy white men hard-ons.
(not an original joke of mine... forget where I had heard it)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:34 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I dunno, I get a funny feeling that Thomas Steen is going to pull an upset.

Yes, i'm aware that Transcona-Elmwood is probably the safest NDP seat in the country, but Jim Maloway has absolutely no profile.

Here's a guy who has made a life long career out of being just another warm body filling a seat at the Leg.

That guy has probably been running Elmwood-Transcona for as long as i've been alive, and I still have no idea of what he looks like or what he stands for.

As one of the electrical engineers at my work likes to say, "when you don't ever do anything, its hard to hold anything against you."

The rest of your picks seem pretty solid.

Kildonan - St.Paul is always a tight race, but this election the Liberals are nowhere to be seen. I don't even know who the Liberal is for the riding.

I don't think it's Terry Duguid.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 11:20 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

War of words, but no debate, in Elmwood-Transcona

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 | 8:56 AM CT - CBC Manitoba

Federal election candidates in Elmwood-Transcona agree that repairs slated for the Disraeli Freeway are a major issue for voters in the Winnipeg riding — but the campaign manager for one candidate says an election is no time for a public debate.

The City of Winnipeg plans to close the 40-year-old, four-lane bridge while it completes more than $125 million in upgrades to the structure, which crosses the Red River.

But several politicians in the area have called for the bridge to be twinned to allow traffic to move on one side while the other is under construction, and to provide extra capacity for future traffic.

The NDP's Jim Maloway and Conservative candidate Thomas Steen both say they have been hearing about the issue as they knock on doors in the riding.

Maloway, who supports the twinning option, wants a debate about the matter, but says his efforts have been met with silence.

"We know he lives in Tuxedo somewhere, but we can't find him to invite him to the debate," he said.

Debate not necessary: Steen campaign
Steen says he has never heard the invitation, and is still learning about local issues

But the Tory candidate's campaign manager, Jeff Browaty, told CBC News a debate is not worth the trouble.

"It's sort of been my experience in the past [that] people who go to those debates already have their minds made up, you know, they're from the various campaigns," he said.

"Any member of the public that has any questions can certainly ask Thomas and get the question to Thomas," he added. "We have a barbecue this weekend — I mean, he's certainly available to any member of the public to answer any questions."

Ironically, Browaty, the Winnipeg city councillor for North Kildonan, spearheaded the debate about twinning the Disraeli bridge at Winnipeg City Hall.

'Signs' of trouble
Candidates' issues with election signs are also raising eyebrows in the riding.

A close look at NDP candidate Jim Maloway's signs reveals duct tape covering the "re" in "re-elect."

Maloway, who stepped down as MLA for Elmwood to run federally, doesn't deny he's recycling them from the last provincial campaign; he says Elections Canada allows it.

Meanwhile, the Tories say their candidate's signs have been disappearing. Steen — a former star player on the now-defunct Winnipeg Jets NHL team — has been signing them, and fans may be stealing them.

CBC's calls to Wes Penner, the Liberal candidate in the riding, were not returned.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 11:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

churchill could be interestingly close one...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan