HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:15 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
Are the gaps in the paneling final?
I assume so...they've been in a lot of the renders, at least.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 7:45 PM

Upcoming Transbay Tower Revised by Pelli Clarke Pelli
Quote:
Pelli Clark Pelli with HKS Architects has made design revisions to their Transbay Parcel F proposal, the final building expected to rise within the transformative Transbay District in San Francisco. The 64-storey tower at 550 Howard Street now features a gentler overall expression, swapping hard right angles and asymmetry for a softer and more elegant sculptural identity.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 8:09 PM

^^Thanks for posting. For everybody's info, this building has a thread of its own: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=217919&page=6

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:18 AM

Looks like this will indefinitely be the worlds most expensive bus station:

http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-r...o-10941880.php

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 8:37 PM

Sign the petition to restore funding for CalTrain electrification: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...lectrification

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:22 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Sign the petition to restore funding for CalTrain electrification: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...lectrification
done

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Done!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 8:41 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I also signed it though doubt the Trump administration is paying much attention to these.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I also signed it though doubt the Trump administration is paying much attention to these.
You are probably right but according to the Examiner this one was initiated by CalTrain itself so maybe they have some sort of lobbying campaign in mind of which this is just a part. What has happened seems counter to any sort of "infrastructure" effort so maybe if that is pointed out forcefully enough . . . .

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:35 PM

Infrastructure to Republicans means "freeways because black people ride public transit"

Although I heard that Trump wants to be the high speed rail president, so maybe he can push through a network of trains throughout the U.S. Will he leave out the Bay Area out of spite? I wouldn't put it past him. All I know is that the current California HSR mess needs to be thrown away and start over. As of now it would be the slowest high speed train in the world. CA is supposed to be a leader of technology and brainpower, when is our infrastructure going to start reflecting that?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:17 PM

^^Let's be clear: What has been done to CalTrain was done because the California Republican Congressional delegation jumped on the brand new Sec. of Transportation before she could even warm the seat in her new office and got her to do this (not because they hate CalTrain but because CalTrain electrification is essential to bringing HSR to SF). I doubt she was really familiar with the issues and Trump himself probably knows nothing about it. That's why I have hope for making some waves right now when they can say, "You know, on second thought maybe we don't want to do that." Maybe Trump himself might whisper that in her ear. Not to start a political discussion, but IMHO Trump is not really a Republican. He just plays one on TV (sometimes).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 12:02 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Infrastructure to Republicans means "freeways because black people ride public transit"
Don't be ridiculous. Infrastructure to Republicans means "roads and pipelines and other status quo stuff because everything else is foreign or liberal or agenda 21 or, err, something.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Infrastructure to Republicans means "roads and pipelines and other status quo stuff because everything else is foreign or liberal or agenda 21 or, err, something.
It very much depends on local issues. In California it is Central Valley farmers who are almost all Republicans who want more dams and water projects and libral Democrats who want to tear down the dams we have to save the fish.

The one type of infrastructure the right seems pretty uniformly opposed to is high speed rail and I don't really know why. I suspect it's just rural/suburban vs urban with a hint of opposition to big spending on anything and a lot of "we're against anything Dems are for." I hoped (and still hope) Trump might get beyond that but whether Congress would let him actually spend money on intercity rail I doubt.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 7:37 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
^^Let's be clear: What has been done to CalTrain was done because the California Republican Congressional delegation jumped on the brand new Sec. of Transportation before she could even warm the seat in her new office and got her to do this (not because they hate CalTrain but because CalTrain electrification is essential to bringing HSR to SF). I doubt she was really familiar with the issues and Trump himself probably knows nothing about it. That's why I have hope for making some waves right now when they can say, "You know, on second thought maybe we don't want to do that." Maybe Trump himself might whisper that in her ear. Not to start a political discussion, but IMHO Trump is not really a Republican. He just plays one on TV (sometimes).
I have no knowledge of this, but I would assume that he would push for LA-Vegas, Houston-Dallas, NYC-DC first.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 7:51 PM

^^

Quote:
California’s top Republican ignored business plea to help Caltrain
By Matier & Ross, San Francisco Chronicle
February 22, 2017 Updated: February 22, 2017 6:00am

Business leaders at the Bay Area Council business group did their best at a recent fundraiser for House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy to persuade the Bakersfield Republican to get behind Caltrain electrification — but no dice.

McCarthy and the rest of the California GOP congressional delegation urged the Trump administration to delay a $647 million federal grant for the Caltrain upgrade as a way of targeting Gov. Jerry Brown’s high-speed rail project, which would ride Caltrain’s rails from the South Bay to San Francisco. Last week, the administration went along with the delay. Caltrain says that could doom it to a future of slow, inefficient diesel trains . . . .

“(McCarthy) said he supported electrification of Caltrain, but said the problem was that the $647 million was co-mingled with high-speed rail money and that the line would be used by high-speed rail,” said Bay Area Council President Jim Wunderman . . . .

Wunderman said the business group is still holding out hope that President Trump will include the Caltrain money in his upcoming budget . . . .
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...p?t=c6622821b1

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Done

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 3:45 AM

03/03/17

Trees on their way to the terminal.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:02 PM

Can we be brutally honest now?

Much as I love the architecture and all the new development it has engendered around it, including SF's first and probaby only (for a long time) supertall, the TransBay Terminal itself is probably an unnecessary and expensive white elephant. The current terminus of rail service into San Francisco is now, and was predictably when the Terminal project began, in the center of a bustling, growing part of the city which is well connected to the other dynamic parts by light rail transit. The difference for someone working in the business/financial districts to get to a train at 4th & King vs 1st & Mission would be minutes once the Central Subway is completed (although the capacity of platforms and the ability to run longer tains on that line should have been greater). We should have spend a much smaller sum on increased capacity for the subway and a new station at 4th & King vs the TransBay, something I argued at the time.

In any case, with the likelihood of getting federal funding to bring train service (commuter and high speed) into the new terminal fading, we are going to have a money hole on our hands and I have no confidence in the city's ability to deal with it.

Quote:
Exclusive: Transbay Center picks manager to fill empty retail space as deficit looms
Apr 12, 2017, 2:12pm PDT Updated Apr 12, 2017, 5:30pm PDT
Roland Li
Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

The $2.4 billion Transbay Transit Center has picked a manager to fill the project's 100,000 square feet of retail, a crucial role as it faces a potential multimillion-dollar annual deficit.

The Transbay Joint Powers Authority Board voted last month to pick an asset management team lead by developer Lincoln Property Co., according to a staff memo. A person familiar with the deal said a contract is expected to be signed in the next week.

Lincoln Property Co.'s team includes Colliers International (NASDAQ: CIGI), a global real estate brokerage, which will lease the retail space and Biederman Redevelopment Ventures, which is managing the project's rooftop park. The team also includes Pearl Media, which is handling promotional services, and Lavoz, which is in charge of marketing. The agreement is for six years, with a five-year extension option . . . .

The Transbay Transit Center, the largest under-construction transit center in the Western U.S., expects an operating loss for at least its first four years of operations, through fiscal year 2020-2021. The deficit could be as high as $20 million per year. The transit center only has funding secured for bus service and needs additional money to connect Caltrain and eventually a high-speed rail connection, as originally planned when construction started. The lack of projected traffic is expected to result in losses for the complex.

The center's 100,000 square feet of vacant retail is a large availability and comes on the market as Bay Area retailers have struggled with high rents, a shortage of workers who can afford to live in the region, and competition from online retailers. San Francisco's largest new retail project, the 250,000-square-foot 6x6 development in Mid-Market, finished construction last fall and doesn't have any tenants . . . .
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...815&j=77933721

Who here thinks the city, confronted with those funding needs, is not going to cut and short-change funding to the Terminal in every way it can, skimping on maintenance, security and janitorial services and letting the place become a dirty, unsafe, disheveled homeless hangout?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:22 PM

^^
Quote:
Funds approved to study extension of Caltrain to downtown SF
By Joe Fitzgerald Rodriguez on April 12, 2017 1:21 pm
Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail

The San Francisco County Transportation Authority has approved funding toward the downtown extension of Caltrain, despite worries over the recent loss of federal funding for the agency’s much awaited electrification project.

It’s a small amount, just $5.4 million for the Transbay Joint Powers Authority toward preliminary engineering and a study on tunneling options, but commenters at Tuesday’s SFCTA meeting called it a major step forward for the imperiled Caltrain downtown extension.

“We need to maintain our commitment to it despite any threats from Washington,” said Peter Straus, a member of the San Francisco Transit Riders group, to the transportation authority . . . .

At Tuesday’s meeting the transportation authority, which is comprised of members of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, took a cautious approach to even the small amount of funding toward the downtown extension given alleged mismanagement of funds by the Transbay Joint Powers Authority, according to Supervisor Aaron Peskin . . . .

(A) commenter, Jim Patrick, accused the board of “dallying” for four months on the relatively small funding amount to the second phase of the project.

To that critique, Peskin responded that the authority took the small amount of funding “very seriously, particularly in light of the fact that with all due respect phase one has been an absolute nightmare as respect to cost overruns, delays, and mismanagement” . . . .
http://www.sfexaminer.com/funds-appr...n-downtown-sf/

$20 million a year to run the Terminal? Aw yeah, they'll fork that over with no problem (not).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 11:50 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Although it's not far away, it doesn't directly connect to BART either. I think they decided to go with the land they had, but I hear you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development