HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Although it's not far away, it doesn't directly connect to BART either. I think they decided to go with the land they had, but I hear you.
I'm still waiting to find out if the tunnel directly from the lower level of the TransBay to a BART station (Montgomery?) that was advertised when the terminal was being conceptualized will actually be part of the reality because I am unaware of any tunneling that's been done.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:56 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'm still waiting to find out if the tunnel directly from the lower level of the TransBay to a BART station (Montgomery?) that was advertised when the terminal was being conceptualized will actually be part of the reality because I am unaware of any tunneling that's been done.
I remember that but we've heard nothing about it for a long time. It seems like that quietly died.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 8:00 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
I remember that but we've heard nothing about it for a long time. It seems like that quietly died.
according to this fairly recent doc (see map on I think fourth page), the passageway will be part of phase 2, if it ever happens

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I believe it will be part of the second phase (Caltrain DTX). But yeah, I haven't heard much about it for a while.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymac18 View Post
I believe it will be part of the second phase (Caltrain DTX). But yeah, I haven't heard much about it for a while.
The current plan, as evaluated in the Supplemental EIR/EIS, would extend the train box from Beale to Main and move the planned pedestrian tunnel from Fremont to Beale. The pedestrian tunnel would be just below street level and connect to the BART Embarcadero Station at the concourse level. The DTX is projected to be completed in 2029.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:27 AM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:16 PM

One heck of a bus station!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:56 AM

Thanks for the update, timbad.

KPIX had a segment on TBT the other day as well. Nothing we didn't know, but has some views from and of the rooftop park.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...train-station/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 6:33 AM
Surrounded by Nature

I wonder if it would be feasible and possible to convert some of the retail areas to offices if they can't make it float as intended.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 9:18 PM
Build Baby Build

Night shots 5/4

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 4:58 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
I wonder if it would be feasible and possible to convert some of the retail areas to offices if they can't make it float as intended.
This^ offices, a hotel, conference center, museum, an educational facility. hell its big enough to be a tv/film studio, etc. ijs the transit component apart from buses is uncertain but the massive building is being built so...

The thought of a mall is highly improbable imo. 6x6 has yet to land a single tenant!

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
The thought of a mall is highly improbable imo.
Maybe a giant Amazon Locker location for people to pick up their packages.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
This^ offices, a hotel, conference center, museum, an educational facility. hell its big enough to be a tv/film studio, etc. ijs the transit component apart from buses is uncertain but the massive building is being built so...

The thought of a mall is highly improbable imo. 6x6 has yet to land a single tenant!
I've never understood why it had to be so big, even if trains were to come into it from the beginning.

6x6 may have landed a tenant or 2 by now and not yet announced it but they seem to have some very specific criteria for whom they want to lease to. Maybe too specific. But it's their business--the rest of us just have to wait.

I am more concerned about this:

Quote:
Exclusive: BART's ambitious retail vision crumbles
Apr 27, 2017, 2:28pm PDT Updated Apr 27, 2017, 2:50pm PDT
Katie Burke
Food/Hospitality/Retail Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

The hype around plans to bring new retail services to 43 BART stations reached a high with pronouncements that Dunkin' Donuts, Ghirardelli Chocolates and other big-name tenants were on their way to serve riders.

But BART's plans came to a screeching halt when the transit authority decided to back out of a lease agreement after its retail partner failed to meet several deadlines.

Several years ago , TransMart and BART struck an agreement to bring in a slew of high-quality tenants to stations across the Bay Area. By late 2015, TransMart — operating under the name Blinq — had launched pop-up retail spaces in the Embarcadero and Montgomery BART stations.

However, according to a memorandum acquired by the San Francisco Business Times, the deal between the developer and BART was left to expire late last year after TransMart didn't meet several of its contractual obligations . . . .
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...-stations.html

If they can't find retail tenants for BART stations, I have to wonder how they expect to find them for a fancy bus station even if it is in the densest part of downtown (see Embaracdero Center where there has been a rotation of tenants for the 3 decades I've been watching).

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 7:38 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I've never understood why it had to be so big, even if trains were to come into it from the beginning.

6x6 may have landed a tenant or 2 by now and not yet announced it but they seem to have some very specific criteria for whom they want to lease to. Maybe too specific. But it's their business--the rest of us just have to wait.

I am more concerned about this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...-stations.html

If they can't find retail tenants for BART stations, I have to wonder how they expect to find them for a fancy bus station even if it is in the densest part of downtown (see Embaracdero Center where there has been a rotation of tenants for the 3 decades I've been watching).
Sounds more like BART tried to offload all the risk onto a master lessee and the deal fell apart. This type of deal is common for airports or train terminals, where it's easier to achieve economies of scale, but may not work so well for a sprawling rail system.

Without a doubt, though, there is a market for retailers in BART stations, even if it's just for coffee shops and newsstands. TransMart sounds either incompetent, greedy or both... or maybe BART itself is to blame for imposing unrealistic requirements. Either way, this shouldn't be seen as a cautionary tale for Transbay.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 8:31 PM

^^Reportedly BART/Transmart failed to sign a single retail lease. And I've always wondered why there were not loads of retail establishments in BART stations like in New York's subway. Given the shrinking footprint of bricks/mortar retail generally, I don't think the level of demand in the TransBay is at all a given.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 8:37 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
^^Reportedly BART/Transmart failed to sign a single retail lease. And I've always wondered why there were not loads of retail establishments in BART stations like in New York's subway. Given the shrinking footprint of bricks/mortar retail generally, I don't think the level of demand in the TransBay is at all a given.
I don't either, which is why they need to start planning for practical alternatives now.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 10:51 AM

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 6:00 PM

The world needs fewer offices and more places for education and learning ... if they can't turn it into retail turn it into a science museum.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
The world needs fewer offices and more places for education and learning ... if they can't turn it into retail turn it into a science museum.
How many of those do we need besides the Academy of Sciences and the Exploratorium? Besides, they've been trying to fund a city museum (in the Old Mint) for 20 years and can't come up with the money. This thing will sit there awaiting a Democratic administration that is California/San Francisco-friendly (so will help fund Phase 2). I just hope it can be kept clean, properly maintained and safe in the meantime.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
How many of those do we need besides the Academy of Sciences and the Exploratorium? Besides, they've been trying to fund a city museum (in the Old Mint) for 20 years and can't come up with the money. This thing will sit there awaiting a Democratic administration that is California/San Francisco-friendly (so will help fund Phase 2). I just hope it can be kept clean, properly maintained and safe in the meantime.
ain't nothing wrong with more science museums. But yeah i think most of us would prefer trains, as planned, at that specific location, rather than a museum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development