HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
anything particular about his points you disagree with?
i thought they were very pretty well thought out.
I didn't say I disagreed, I said WTF which is an expression of confusion.
On one hand, he says that capitalism makes it difficult for the state to do its job of taking care of the poor and elderly, which sounds as though he is advocating for less capitalism. Of course this is completely backwards, because it is the government that gets in the way of capitalism doing *its* job of making everyone better off.
But then later he says that we need more rich people in the city, which seems to advocate for more capitalism, which would be the correct approach but conflicts with the earlier statement. That is the source of my confusion.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:46 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
My two cents--------------City Council is what it is and declaring that it needs to radically change, however true that might be, doesn't go very far in dealing with the day to day reality of living in the City. I completely agree as long as people like Blackwell (or fill in the blank) keep getting elected there seems to be little hope. A well funded campaign to institute term limits might at least bring more new blood more often into the council.

Most organizations benefit from a return to basics every so often, and City gov't. is no different. This is why I believe most/all laws and tax increases should have a 5 or 10 year sunset provision. If the law in question is working it shouldn't have any trouble getting a 2/3's vote for being kept in place for another term. Also changing the City's Charter should include methods that allow the citizens much easier means to bring change before the voters. In the mean while, I'd like to see this or any mayor state in 10 minutes or less what the basic needs or the City are and how they will be addressed.

Gentrification has many different faces----35 years ago I bought 4 row houses, 3 which were empty, in Powelton Village for around $20K. I more or less lost money fixing/rebuilding 2 of them and made out pretty good selling the other 2 as shells. I'd call that 'hands on' gentrification, and I'm sure some of that goes on today. But mostly what I think goes on today is happening by small and mid sized developers who IMO just don't care about the neighborhoods and the people already living there as much as they care about the $$$ rewards. If you are fixing up or building new and plan to live there you are going to have a different attitude then if all you do is buy what somebody else has built. There's also a type of what's called gentrification where good solid neighborhoods get even more desirable. I live in UC on what was near the outer edges, now a neighbors house sold for almost $1M last year. Not only do I belly arch about the type of people moving in who don't know and don't care about living in a 120 year old house, but because of taxes I don't know how much longer I can afford to live here. Sure, I'll make out big time when I sell, but that doesn't help pay the $6+K tax bill due early next year, when about 10 years ago the bill was $1100. The difference does make a difference to me.
There should be some better ways to allow parts of the City to improve and let the market determine value and at the same time offer means for long time residents to continue to be long time residents. Change is not good or bad in itself, all it is is change.
What makes a neighbor care or don't care about living in a 120 year old house? It is ownership vs. rental or knowing the history of the old house so when repairs are done or restoration work is done, it is done right and to standards, say restoration work (i.e., in keeping with the historical character of the home). I think having financial resources, if you are an owner, will afford you the opportunity, but if not, then I think it is probably equal to someone renting. Renters do not need to make investment in the property that they are living in.

Second, in regards to change, I don't think it is just change. I do think it affects people. When property values and taxes goes up as a consequence of gentrification, then lower and middle class folks who lived there before the gentrification may get prices out or have to adjust their budgets to accommodate the increases in taxes. Something akin to your point above.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:35 AM

Movie scene - graffiti wall added to Laurel construction fence. Looks like construction will be minimal until the 17 Bridges film crew clear out.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:52 PM

Hadn't heard of that movie. It has Chadwick Boseman and J.K Simmons in it. Oddly enough, it's set in New York but they're doing some filming in Philadelphia.

A few years ago, I remember seeing a film crew set up at the Basilica. Does anyone know what movie that could've been?

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 9:13 PM
Philly Rising Up!

The set was in Old City earlier this week. Any updates on this one?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 9:43 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
The set was in Old City earlier this week. Any updates on this one?
All the movie set construction was gone from around the Rittenhouse Sq area as of last evening.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 12:00 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
cool. on Tuesday trucks and trailers were lined up on front street between walnut and market sts. and they must of paid/rented all the parking spots on a surface lot cause people could not go in and pay to park even though it was mostly empty.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:49 AM

Watching them dig away under bright lights from Tria Tap at about 11p EST. Officially rolling.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Watching them dig away under bright lights from Tria Tap at about 11p EST. Officially rolling.
Dude. Photos. [Please.]

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Dude. Photos. [Please.]
Whoops, false alarm. The heavy digging equipment was on the street, not on the lot. Forgive me, vision was obscured by more than one DIPA.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Whoops, false alarm. The heavy digging equipment was on the street, not on the lot. Forgive me, vision was obscured by more than one DIPA.
Site work has definitely begun. Looks like they are focusing on installing drainage and other infrastructure before commencing major excavation...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 10:43 AM
Midrise

Last edited by Jayfar; Jan 14, 2019 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 1:01 AM

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39.95n View Post
Site work has definitely begun. Looks like they are focusing on installing drainage and other infrastructure before commencing major excavation...
terrible picture, but no one else has posted it

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 3:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
terrible picture, but no one else has posted it
Sewer connection pipes???

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Hadn't heard of that movie. It has Chadwick Boseman and J.K Simmons in it. Oddly enough, it's set in New York but they're doing some filming in Philadelphia.

A few years ago, I remember seeing a film crew set up at the Basilica. Does anyone know what movie that could've been?
About 5 or 6 years ago there was a movie called Paranoia starring Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman and Liam Hemsworth. It was set in NYC but filmed here. I recall being near Comcast one week when they were filming and there were NYC taxi cabs and signage all around 17th and JFK. I recall standing next to a guy snapping a ton of pics. I later learned that the gentleman was the guy who runs philly chit chat.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Sewer connection pipes???
Looks like it. Those have been there for about 2 weeks, now. There's a lot of activity on the site - trucks, people, equipment - but nothing major yet. The installation of the permanent cyclone fence is odd to me, seems like it would be hard to dig the foundation to the edge with the fence there - and it also runs directly through the middle of the property along Moravian St. But, what do i know.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:03 PM
Chairman

They could also be storm water pipes.

-sb

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 1:02 PM

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 3:50 PM
Midrise

^^^^
Having some difficulty ascertaining which blurry pixel is supposed to represent the Laurel in that picture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive