HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
June 16 here we come!

wasnt the grand opening delayed to sometime in late July or August?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:47 PM

This state and country has got to seriously get its shit together. All of this time (decades of planning), effort, money (the most expensive transit station in the world), construction, traffic jams, for what is essentially an AC transit bus stop? And no plans for any other type of modal service for at least 2 more decades? Shameful. Park looks great though.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

Not from SF... Just curious if any Muni trolleybus lines will serve base of the Transbay Terminal (yes, that's its' name) ?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:36 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Not from SF... Just curious if any Muni trolleybus lines will serve base of the Transbay Terminal (yes, that's its' name) ?
Muni buses will indeed serve the base of the Salesforce Transit Center starting Saturday June 16! Grand opening of the entire building is August.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:29 PM
Show me the blueprints

^What about specifically trolleybus routes?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
This state and country has got to seriously get its shit together. All of this time (decades of planning), effort, money (the most expensive transit station in the world), construction, traffic jams, for what is essentially an AC transit bus stop? And no plans for any other type of modal service for at least 2 more decades? Shameful. Park looks great though.
Where are you getting that the additional services are at least two decades out? Not sure if that's just exaggeration or you're referencing an updated calendar.

My take is that they could get CalTrain in there in less than a decade and HSR shortly after, pending that separate but current construction timeline. Hyperloop + Starfleet Spaceport, on the other hand, might be closer to 2 decades out.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:15 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
^What about specifically trolleybus routes?
I don't know what you mean by trolleybus, I have not heard that term used in San Francisco. If you are simply referring to buses with overhead wires, then yes they are starting in two days (see posts 3105, 3107). If you are talking about buses on tracks (street cars) then no there are no tracks nearby. If you are referring to cable cars then no there are no cable lines near here.

---

Considering how wealthy San Francisco is I do not see why people have to repeat that this terminal is so expensive. It is really not. The costs are spread over a decade for a building that will be used for at least 50 years. Any station that is going to serve that many people for such a long period is going to be expensive beyond imagination for most individuals, but we are talking about millions of people visiting and spending money nearby in a neighborhood that was essentially barren ten years ago.

The positive impact of this station over the next several decades is far beyond the cost to taxpayers. I seriously doubt that SF could have the four tallest buildings in SF built in such close proximity if the city was not bold and did not do the hard work for ten years to create something this important out of thin air. If you look at this and only see a bus terminal and a park then you are missing the tens of thousands of high salary taxpaying workers that now pay into the city's coffers, who could just as easily be working in LA/Seattle/NYC instead.

Last edited by fimiak; Jun 14, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Thanks. But I'm not sure how you don't know that buses powered by overhead electric lines are and have always been called trolleybuses and/or trackless trolleys. Perhaps what you mean is in SF at least they are just colloquially known as a bus regardless of whether they are powered by overhead electricity of diesel?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:06 PM
Build Baby Build

I simply have never heard anyone in SF refer to it as a trolleybus. Only MUNI, bus, electric bus, or the line number.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:58 PM
Show me the blueprints

Ok, fair enough. It must be the difference between the technical term and the colloquial term. I figured that was the case. I'm sure most transit riders in any city with trolleybuses/trackless trolleys/trolley coaches/electric buses just refer to it as a bus, it's mode of propulsion irrelevant to the majority of laymen.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:49 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. It must be the difference between the technical term and the colloquial term. I figured that was the case. I'm sure most transit riders in any city with trolleybuses/trackless trolleys/trolley coaches/electric buses just refer to it as a bus, it's mode of propulsion irrelevant to the majority of laymen.
I was just going to say, I’ve definitely seen/read the term trolleybus and knew what you meant, but have never heard it on the street. If you used it, people would think you were some weird transit nerd or something

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:05 AM

Quote:
The trolleybus routes serving the Salesforce Transit Center will be the 5/5R-Fulton (Rapid), and 6-Parnassus (in the near future)

Two of the five lanes are equipped with trolley wires.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 11:15 PM

So today I took a ride on the "trolleybus" known as the 5R to the Transit Center to see how it went. I think the city is going to have to make some changes in something--basically the bus is routed to turn off Market St. onto 1st to Mission, then left on Mission for 2 blocks to Beale, right on Beale to the Transit Center's easternmost entrance. My bus got stopped on Market trying to make the turn onto a very traffic-choked 1st St for what seemed like 15 minutes. Cars from across (Battery St.) kept "blocking the box" on Market preventing us from turning and even once we did the Market to Mission block was gridlocked. Once we made the turn onto Mission, the traffic was still heavy but we moved slowly along. I can't say why we didn't go all the way to Beale before turning off Market.

Once we arrived, the Transit Center looked nice and ready to go:

For some reason, there is a rock implanted in the sidewalk--looks like it is to have an explanatory plaque which hasn't yet been installed:

It should say, "This is what isn't under the Millennium Tower next door which is why there is all the heavy equipment around it doing something to keep it from falling over:

All images by me

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 11:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Ouch. Good one.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:07 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
So today I took a ride on the "trolleybus" known as the 5R to the Transit Center to see how it went. I think the city is going to have to make some changes in something--basically the bus is routed to turn off Market St. onto 1st to Mission, then left on Mission for 2 blocks to Beale, right on Beale to the Transit Center's easternmost entrance. My bus got stopped on Market trying to make the turn onto a very traffic-choked 1st St for what seemed like 15 minutes. Cars from across (Battery St.) kept "blocking the box" on Market preventing us from turning and even once we did the Market to Mission block was gridlocked. Once we made the turn onto Mission, the traffic was still heavy but we moved slowly along. I can't say why we didn't go all the way to Beale before turning off Market.

Once we arrived, the Transit Center looked nice and ready to go:

For some reason, there is a rock implanted in the sidewalk--looks like it is to have an explanatory plaque which hasn't yet been installed:

It should say, "This is what isn't under the Millennium Tower next door which is why there is all the heavy equipment around it doing something to keep it from falling over:

All images by me
Not sure if it's your exposure but it looks rather dark in there. Are they going to do anything to improve the lighting?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
The overhead wires are so ubiquitous in the city that they just blend in and most locals don’t even notice them. I took a line today that I don’t often take, and I couldn’t tell you whether it was diesel or overhead electric. The only time you ever notice which type you are on is when the poles come detached from the overhead wires and the bus dies, and you have to sit there while the driver gets out and reattaches them.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 11:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

Or the fact the electric is significantly more quiet than the diesel, no?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 1:42 AM
Build Baby Build

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
^Ouch. Good one.
Almost all, if not all, of the diesels are hybrids now, and are pretty quiet. Generally the constant shaking of the bus from all the potholes is the loudest aspect of a ride and overwhelms any engine noise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development