HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
How is the Howard St. TJPA site going to get around the park shadowing issue? At anything above 10 floors or so, it's going to throw a significant shadow on the new Transbay park.
If I am not mistaken, if the new Transbay park isn't under the Recreation and Park Commission's jurisdiction, then Proposition K doesn't apply. Can anyone confirm this? There is another park in the plan between Beale and Main Sts. that would also be in shadow from future residential Transbay towers. Hopefully these parks and open spaces will remain exempt from Prop K being that they are placed amid highrise zones. Justin Herman Plaza is also located adjacent to highrises, but since it's creation, has come under 1984 Prop K protection.

Last edited by SFView; Sep 30, 2008 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 3:02 AM
Green Berniecrat

Start the clock:

Quote:

T-Minus Two Weeks Until Transbay Temporary Bus Terminal Start

As a plugged-in tipster notes, it’s T-minus two weeks until the parking lots bordered by Folsom, Main, Beale and Howard streets will be closed and construction on the Transbay Temporary Bus Terminal will begin.

And while we'll keep you plugged-in with regard to its construction over the next year, it's the TJPA that will keep you in the loop with regard to related closures and detours.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 6:59 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Halloween - the last day for that surface lot. I can't wait!

Now that the temporary terminal is just about to start, should we start a new thread in General Developments for the new terminal (including the temporary one) and not muddy up this thread, which is really about the tower? They really are separate, yet closely tied, developments.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 9:02 PM
Green Berniecrat

I've always thought we should keep everything in one place, but I'd be perfectly happy with either scenario. After all, we only have about a couple of years before we start seeing activity with the tower itself, and I doubt we'll have mountains of posts regarding only the temporary structure.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 9:25 PM
Only Mostly Dead

According to the Chronicle, the Transbay Joint Powers Authority Board of Directors approved the revised deal with Hines yesterday. I think the next step now is for the revised zoning to be approved, at which time Hines will pay the first installment of $160 million.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 9:31 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
I've always thought we should keep everything in one place, but I'd be perfectly happy with either scenario. After all, we only have about a couple of years before we start seeing activity with the tower itself, and I doubt we'll have mountains of posts regarding only the temporary structure.
I can go either way as well. I was just thinking that other folks wanting to see updates on a tower might be disappointed in seeing updates for the next couple of years on the temp terminal, demo of the old terminal, and construction of the new terminal instead. Plus, each structure (tower and terminal) is pretty impressive in its own right. Does anyone else have strong opinions about this? Like I said, either way is fine by me.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 3:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Transbay Tower: A Little Cheaper, Just As Huge

One financial collapse, a city well over budget and many months later, the development firm that bid out to foot the bill for 1,000-foot-tall Transbay Tower is now set to pony up $115 less than they originally agreed to -- $235 mill as opposed to $350. The new agreement, approved by Transbay's Board of Directors, has the developer paying most of the money up front, at the closing of the land sale, with the rest paid out over the next few years. The price cut will keep Transbay on track where it might have formerly fallen by the wayside in this sad economy, and give the Transit Authority a larger and much-needed cash infusion in the immediate. The developer wouldn't have been able to raise the $350 large until it was able to lease out half the tower's space -- very unlikely to happen before construction is set to begin in 2010. But! More hoops! T-Tower still has to make its way through the rezoning process before ground can be broken. So don't expect any new oppressive shadows for at least a couple more years.
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/

But we knew all this.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 4:56 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I can go either way as well. I was just thinking that other folks wanting to see updates on a tower might be disappointed in seeing updates for the next couple of years on the temp terminal, demo of the old terminal, and construction of the new terminal instead. Plus, each structure (tower and terminal) is pretty impressive in its own right. Does anyone else have strong opinions about this? Like I said, either way is fine by me.
I also think that the entire development should be kept in one place since all of the components are very much dependent upon and related to one another.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 7:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I also think that the entire development should be kept in one place since all of the components are very much dependent upon and related to one another.
ditto

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 2:18 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Very well then. I'll not start a new thread. Thanks for the input!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 7:45 PM
Anti-NIMBY

Well, Proposition 1a passed, looks like the vision of High Speed Rail connecting to San Francisco will be a reality! (Someday)

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 4:55 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Step one, close the parking lot for the temporary terminal, is complete:

(Sorry for the distance. I couldn't find a closer spot to get an elevated shot.)

Surface lot, you are toast!

Even the northwest corner, where CalTrans has been storing crap for years is totally cleaned out:

And the very first tiny bit of demo has begun:

I believe this fencing will be used to surround the building in the background which should be next on the demo list:

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 5:15 AM

^Good for SF. It is so damn exciting when a surface lot is soon to be no more.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 8:51 PM
Only Mostly Dead

They have also closed the long skinny lot that runs along Main from Howard almost up to Mission. This was noted on the temporary terminal site and I verified that it is indeed closed. Anyone know how they are using this space? I don't see anything on any of the renderings. Could it just be a staging area for construction?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 7:01 AM
Have No Fear

It all started with the closing of a surface lot.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 7:52 AM

It is great to see progress on this project.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 7:11 PM
BANNED

I am hopelessly confused as to where we are discussing aspects of this project beyond the tower itself, but the greater project took a mild hit recently it seems:

Quote:
Transbay Transit Center going off track
By Katie Worth
Examiner Staff Writer 11/12/08

Pricey proposal: It would cost $2 billion to extend Caltrain to the planned Transbay Transit Center.

SAN FRANCISCO – Statewide bullet trains have been presented by transit officials as the silver bullet. The City needs to finally bring rail transit downtown, but some are questioning whether a necessary extension should receive financial help from bonds for high-speed rail approved by voters Nov. 4.

Proposition 1A, passed in last week’s election, authorized $9.95 billion in bond money for a high speed-rail line that would take passengers from Los Angeles to San Francisco in a mere 2½ hours. In anticipation of the project, the first phase of the new Transbay Transit Center is being built with the assumption that a major rail corridor will connect to the new terminal.

However, that would necessitate a $2 billion, 1.3-mile extension of Caltrain’s tracks from their current terminus at Fourth and King streets in Mission Bay to downtown’s Transbay Transit Center at First and Mission streets, as well as a “train box” — a massive space underneath the bus terminal big enough to hold six rail platforms and tracks — that could later be tunneled into and developed into a station for Caltrain and high-speed trains.

Transbay Joint Powers Authority spokesman Adam Alberti said the authority began lobbying for funds from the high-speed rail bond in a letter issued last month.

But at least one authority has eschewed the possibility that high-speed rail will pay for the extension.

“We do not need First and Mission. I am satisfied with Fourth and Townsend,” said Judge Quentin Kopp, chairman of the High Speed Rail Authority. “We are not going to pay an extra billion-plus dollars to take the high-speed rail an extra 1.4 miles.”

The extension will have to be resolved — and funded — by The City and Caltrain, he said.

But spokeswoman Christine Dunn said Caltrain has not considered devoting any funds to the project, and it would have to be funded by The City and the Transbay project.

Jerry Hill, a member of Transbay’s board of directors and state Assembly member-elect, said that though Transbay hopes to secure some funding for the extension from the high-speed rail, they are not seeing the project as a “cash cow,” and the success of neither high-speed rail nor the Transbay Transit Center depends on the extension.

Rod Diridon, Kopp’s colleague on the High Speed Rail Authority, said it would be a shame if high-speed rail did not reach downtown.

kworth@sfexaminer.com

Future rail projects

Caltrain wants to link to the planned Transbay Transit Center.

$9.95 billion Bond funding for high-speed rail approved by voters Nov. 4

1.3 miles Proposed underground downtown extension of Caltrain commuter rail line

6 Trains and platforms to be accommodated by proposed train station under the new Transbay Transit Center

$2 billion Unfunded cost to extend the Caltrain commuter rail line from Fourth and King streets to the new Transbay Transit Center

Sources: Transbay Joint Powers Authority, Caltrain, California High Speed Rail Authority, BayRail Alliance
Source: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Tran...off_track.html

Socketsite ( http://www.socketsite.com/ ) provides this graphic (common knowledge to san Franciscans but probably not others)

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 11:43 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I am hopelessly confused as to where we are discussing aspects of this project beyond the tower itself
All the feedback I got was to keep it all here in one place, so that's what I'm doing.

The Examiner headline is a bit sensational (surprise, surprise!). Basically, it seems like Kopp is trying to offload some of the cost of HSR to the locals. He's also somewhat invested politically in the Milbrae station, which I think would benefit from HSR not going all the way to Transbay. That would make Milbrae the only station with all of BART, HSR and CalTrain. All-in-all, I think it's just a lot of posturing and HSR will go all the way to Transbay.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:

The Request For Proposals to develop Transbay Block 8 (bounded by First, Folsom, Freemont and Clementina) is out and about and due back January 22, 2009. Once again, a one-acre parcel which is slated for a market-rate 450-550 foot residential tower and row of 50-foot townhouses along with a pair of 65-85 foot affordable housing podiums. In all, 597 potential housing units over 7,000 square feet of ground floor retail.

“As part of the Market-Rate Project, the for-profit developer will be required to demolish and reconfigure the existing Folsom Street Off-Ramp and construct public improvements on the site as detailed in the Transbay Redevelopment Project Area Streetscape and Open Space Concept Plan.”
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:01 PM

Any activity on the temp. terminal site?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development