HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Right. So because someone doesn't agree with what is being said infers that there must be some degree of bias because... why exactly?

Now onto this:

Let me show you the statement I was referring to from rrskylar:

This is absolutely false with respect to the FP. FAKE NEWS if you'd rather. The Free Press had Wab Kinew essentially tried and convicted everyday for a decent one or two week period. I have no idea why anyone is trying to argue this. It happened. I read it. We even discussed at length on this very forum. Anything regarding you reaching about the ifs buts candies nuts for Pallister or Patrick Brown is besides the point I was making.
1. Because it's those who think it's currently "fair" whose bias it serves. If it serves ones interest to claim fairness it is human nature to either

a) attribute a certain innocence to said fairness... after all ones personal view of right or wrong or whatever in between is held in tact. If the views presented in the mainstream media are in line with the viewer, they're obviously less likely to think they're false or unfair. However, it is possible to have certain views, see them reflected in the media, and still acknowledge it isn't balanced throughout the populations, hence point b...

b) Even if you realize the balance of media opinion is not fair, but it serves one's personal views well to insist it is, it's easy to claim fairness to help hedge the political balance in one's favour. How is this not clear?

It's obviously also easy to claim unfairness, but then we'd be able to see a counterbalance of complaints insisting the media favours the right.

You're basically victim blaming jk.

Also, few take fox seriously. Who else do we got?

2) I will admit I can't stand the NDP. Using Brown as a looooose comparison, I just expected his head on a stake, not his name on the door. Brown was done before any due dilligence, and Kinew is a party leader. I simply think the Freep could have been more aggressive, but I admit it serves my peronal stance on the party

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 8:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
imo the mainstream American media is divided between the right and the hard right. unless you read such material as Harpers or the Guardian, which few people do, there is very little mainstream exposure to the types of viewpoints that are common in progressive countries. I know others will disagree but I believe that is a huge problem in the US and is responsible in large part for the worsening social problems you see down there.
I don't find CNN right wing. CNN is probably the most fair and balanced news station there is (in the United States). IN fact, since Trump ran for president, CNN has if anything, moved towards the left, to counter the constant attacks of Trump.

Fox news, on the other hand, may as well be in bed with Trump.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Feb 6, 2018 at 8:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 8:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Are you remembering correctly? The FP basically lead the angry mob with pitch forks against Kinew to a level that was almost comical - if it wasn't being presented daily on the front page of our major newspaper.

It was not comical, and the Free Press never led an "angry mob with pitchforks" against Kinew. In fact, the WFP has traditionally gravitated to the NDP. The fact that the Free Press wrote articles that negatively affected Kinew and the NDP, just shows what a horrible choice Kinew was for leader.

Can you imagine if Palliser had a rap sheet as long as Kinew's? The Free Press would have been crucified him. If anything, the WFP has been not tough enough, when it comes to examining Kinew's past, which include:

-DUI convictions
-assault convictions
-incidents of domestic violence
-theft
-misogynistic and homophobic rap songs
-tweets that ridicule impoverished conditions of First Nations Reservations

I think it is fair to say that if Kinew was White and Conservative, he would have been treated far more harshly by the media.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:53 PM

There are a lot of alternative facts being tossed around in this thread. And selective remembering. I guess we really are living in a post truth era.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
It was not comical, and the Free Press never led an "angry mob with pitchforks" against Kinew. In fact, the WFP has traditionally gravitated to the NDP. The fact that the Free Press wrote articles that negatively affected Kinew and the NDP, just shows what a horrible choice Kinew was for leader.

Can you imagine if Palliser had a rap sheet as long as Kinew's? The Free Press would have been crucified him. If anything, the WFP has been not tough enough, when it comes to examining Kinew's past, which include:

-DUI convictions
-assault convictions
-incidents of domestic violence
-theft
-misogynistic and homophobic rap songs
-tweets that ridicule impoverished conditions of First Nations Reservations

I think it is fair to say that if Kinew was White and Conservative, he would have been treated far more harshly by the media.
Absolutely. Kinew got far more of a "pass" than most. Its still mind boggling that he's a major political party leader.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:45 PM

^ Considering that Patrick Brown got taken down on the eve of an election in Ontario for alleged consensual acts with an adult, it's actually unbelievable that Kinew is still in office as leader. But let's face it, in the poker game of Canadian politically correct politics, reconciliation beats #metoo.

I strongly suspect the PCs will be doing their best to "remind" us of Wab's misdeeds as the next provincial election draws nearer, which will make life extremely uncomfortable for the NDP.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:59 PM
the first stamp is free

Let's consider the timelines here people.

The "metoo" thing happened after Kinew was elected as leader of NDP.

Kinew was elected in September 2017. The whole Weinstein situation didn't start until October 2017.

We cannot compare what is happening to say Patrick Brown post Weinstein to what happened to Kinew pre-Weinstein.

Had the election for the NDP gone down AFTER October 2017 - Kinew would likely have been forced to step down. It might seem trivial, but those dates are critical.

And yes, there is a whole bunch of revisionist history happening here. If Kinew was of a higher profile, say in the US, the FP would have started the "Metoo" campaign a month earlier than Weinstein. They certainly tried hard enough. The fact he isn't, is just lucky for Kinew, I guess.

In a post "metoo" world, Kinew is basically incapable of winning an election.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant... the initial furor died down a bit after Kinew's public acts of penance, "give the guy a second chance" and all that. But all it will take is some kind of new incriminating evidence and suddenly it's a page 1 story again. And in the current environment (which, as you point out, has changed considerably in recent months), that will probably be enough to destroy the NDP's chances, which were probably somewhat slim to begin with.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I don't find CNN right wing. CNN is probably the most fair and balanced news station there is (in the United States). IN fact, since Trump ran for president, CNN has if anything, moved towards the left, to counter the constant attacks of Trump.

Fox news, on the other hand, may as well be in bed with Trump.
CNN has been slightly left but playing itself off as neutral for a while. Nor have they been right wing since, I dunno when. Definitely left now, and it's problematic how poor a job they've done.

Fox obviously is swinging from the Republican nutsack, but just because other networks aren't as brazen with their political colours does not mean they don't lean left. Since nobody listens to Fox internationally, this skews any "balance".
Quote:

Kinew was elected in September 2017. The whole Weinstein situation didn't start until October 2017.

We cannot compare what is happening to say Patrick Brown post Weinstein to what happened to Kinew pre-Weinstein.

Had the election for the NDP gone down AFTER October 2017 - Kinew would likely have been forced to step down. It might seem trivial, but those dates are critical.

And yes, there is a whole bunch of revisionist history happening here. If Kinew was of a higher profile, say in the US, the FP would have started the "Metoo" campaign a month earlier than Weinstein. They certainly tried hard enough. The fact he isn't, is just lucky for Kinew, I guess.

Totally fair point. I can agree to that.

Now that MeToo has started, he may still be very incapable of winning. If the Liberals don't jump start, this may have handed Pallister a second term, even retroactively.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, he's only incapable of winning an election for a period of time where this issue is seen as important and relevant. In two years it may not be as devastating to his election.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Unfortunately, he's only incapable of winning an election for a period of time where this issue is seen as important and relevant. In two years it may not be as devastating to his election.
When does the timing go from relevant to not relevant.

People will jump on Kinew for all the inappropriate things he did/said prior to becoming an elected official.

Yet these same people will defend Pallister for all the racist/misogynistic things he has said SINCE becoming an elected official.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
When does the timing go from relevant to not relevant.

People will jump on Kinew for all the inappropriate things he did/said prior to becoming an elected official.

Yet these same people will defend Pallister for all the racist/misogynistic things he has said SINCE becoming an elected official.
It stops becoming relevant enough to influence an election when the media or public opinion lose interest in the subject.

The difference between Palister and Kinew are that Palister made inappropriate comments and Kinew did actual crimes to support the theory of him being racist and misogynist.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 7:14 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
You really think so? Kinew will be playing defense over the entire campaign. Assuming of course the PCs run their campaign that way.

He will get attacked big time.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 7:19 PM

^ Like I said, the PCs just need to dig up a little new dirt on Kinew to throw the issue back on the front page again. The NDP is still a disunited party, so Kinew will be playing shorthanded, to use a sports metaphor... it's not like he will have everyone in his party going all out to protect him.

I know they say to never make the mistake of underestimating your opponent, but if I'm Pallister I've got to like the leader matchup heading into the next election.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 7:24 PM

The MeToo stuff may have happened after Kinew was elected, but it's not like no one paid attention to this stuff before then. It's just like the latest iteration in a series of movements that have gone on for a while. Just before Kinew being elected there was the whole Ghomeshi trial and the Cosby stuff - the motto of the left at the time was "I believe women" or "I believe survivors" .... but then they suddenly and decisively chose NOT to believe a woman survivor when she accused Kinew of abuse. Go figure.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 7:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
The MeToo stuff may have happened after Kinew was elected, but it's not like no one paid attention to this stuff before then. It's just like the latest iteration in a series of movements that have gone on for a while. Just before Kinew being elected there was the whole Ghomeshi trial and the Cosby stuff - the motto of the left at the time was "I believe women" or "I believe survivors" .... but then they suddenly and decisively chose NOT to believe a woman survivor when she accused Kinew of abuse. Go figure.
Come on. We all know the movement didn't catch any kind of real traction until the Weinstein thing dropped.

Let's stop pretending there was any kind of conspiracy.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 12:48 AM

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some new allegations against Kinew bubble to the surface over the next couple years. I wouldn't be surprised if some invested individuals are hard at work trying to dig up some dirt right now. Politics is a dirty business.

All this talk had me wondering about our third option, the liberals. I had to look up the results of their election last fall to remind myself who won. I wonder if Lamont will make a bigger impression than Bokhari did?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 1:20 AM
Source?

Manitoba MLA calls asylum seeker claims a 'drain on society' in Twitter reply
Emerson MLA Cliff Graydon is facing criticism for comment he made on social media last week

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...kers-1.4523778

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:13 PM

Manitoba moving to province wide collective bargaining with teachers rather than division specific. About time if you ask me.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/m...ries-1.4527004

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:17 PM
the first stamp is free

^ next step is drastically reducing the number of School divisions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan