HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 9:20 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I dont get the ticket thing...why not just say the first 25,000 can come in and close the gate once that number is reached.
Do they ask for your name, phone number or email address? If so, they can monetize you.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 9:41 PM

Yeah, keep the celebration by the arena, brings all the energy to that area. It's a learning experience, it will be refined over time as the Jets become a perennial contender ...

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They released 37,000 tickets today, add in the 15,000 in the arena means a potential of 0f 52,000 people with a capacity of 27,000 – and it's beautiful out. I'm sure it'll be near or at capacity by gametime.
It was never going to happen. The ticket scheme ruined everything. 11,000 in total came out for Game 2, I think that is lower than at any point during the Nashville series.

https://twitter.com/EDWinnipeg/statu...10584910815232

Quote:
One big issue with the ticketing system is there's actually quite a lot of people coming here for the party/game, or who happen to be in town and want to go – but many may not have known or been able to get tickets, and that sucks. Spoke to a group of 8 people in from Sweden at the Kings Head today who really want to go but didn't know they needed tickets – I told them to talk to their hotel about trying to get some.

I also spoke to management at the Alt Hotel (before Saturday's game) and they said that they've had a huge spike in traffic and have been close to or at capacity every home playoff game. Said it's been an even split of people coming to town to check the party out (with or without game tickets) and locals making a night of a game.

Sportsnet has also stationed about half of their reporters here for two weeks – they've brought in mobile studios and are doing all the broadcasts from here. Was talking to Irfaan Gaffar – he said it's like all hands on deck covering this series.
Hence the problem. Economic Development Winnipeg did not think this out very thoroughly. The result is almost everyone is unhappy, and the Street Party is a shell of what it once was.

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 15, 2018 at 9:47 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Where's the fail? They controlled the crowds, that was the point of the exercise.

Someone has to pay for all the costs associated with the street party, they don't want it to expand to crazy numbers. The PR bang that comes with the street party is the same whether there are 10,000 people there or 50,000.

You are in the extreme minority. What started as a grassroots party that ED Winnipeg said would eventually expand to Broadway, when crowds became larger, has been ruined by bureaucracy. It's funny considering these groups try everything to get people to come downtown, then shoot themselves in the foot when thousands of people finally have a reason to. You are defending this ticket idea so adamantly, one would think you were employed by ED Winnipeg.

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 15, 2018 at 9:19 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^ The Lyric would be a good idea for a no-liquor family friendly destination away from the downtown frenzy.
Bad idea. Party should be in a central location, like downtown, the Forks or the village. Just like the Stadium idea that some have suggested, Assiniboine Park would not work, since it's too far away from the core area.

Quote:
I wouldn't be too hard on the powers that be here. No one was expecting or really prepared for a protracted Stanley Cup playoff run this spring. I'm sure this will be a much smoother operation next year. It's clear that having the Jets in the playoffs is not going to be an isolated occurrence, at least not for the next few years.
Can I ask you a serious question...do you even follow hockey or the NHL? The Jets finished the season #2 overall in the league, and most sports journalists were predicting either Winnipeg or Nashville would go on to the Stanley Cup Final or win the cup outright. The city should have been prepared for a deep playoff run. Secondly, you are insinuating the Jets will be a powerhouse for years to come, and this will just be an annual occurrence. That's not likely to happen. IN fact, this may be the furthest the Jets advance in the playoffs in my lifetime. There is no guarantee that the Jets will be in this position next year, especially in the salary cap era.

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 15, 2018 at 9:13 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:02 PM

Nice call Jet4Life. I jokingly said to the police yesterday, "That's it, cancel the party, no more OT for you guys". This team will not be the same next year.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Bad idea. Party should be in a central location, like downtown, the Forks or the village. Just like the Stadium idea that some have suggested, Assiniboine Park would not work, since it's too far away from the core area.

Can I ask you a serious question...do you even follow hockey or the NHL? The Jets finished the season #2 overall in the league, and most sports journalists were predicting either Winnipeg or Nashville would go on to the Stanley Cup Final or win the cup outright. The city should have been prepared for a deep playoff run. Secondly, you are insinuating the Jets will be a powerhouse for years to come, and this will just be an annual occurrence. That's not likely to happen. IN fact, this may be the furthest the Jets advance in the playoffs in my lifetime. There is no guarantee that the Jets will be in this position next year, especially in the salary cap era.
I get that the free street party matters greatly to you. But to the city, to ED Winnipeg, the other orgs involved in putting it on, it's a sideshow. It's not like the people working there cancelled all their meetings back in February when the Jets were creeping up the standings so that they could devote manpower and resources to figuring out how to throw the biggest public ragers possible.

These things tend to develop over time, the first time is always going to be an attempt to feel things out to see what works and what doesn't. Next year I'm sure the process will be smoother and better thought out. And if the Jets aren't in the playoffs next season, I'm sure the lessons will remain in the city's institutional memory for at least a few years.

The reality is that the street party looks the same to TV viewers whether there are 11,000 people there as was the case yesterday, or 25,000 in the last round. And if you're EDW or TNSE which is really interested in the PR bang from all of this, you have to ask yourself what the point is of paying to expand this thing to gargantuan proportions when there is really nothing to be gained once the block of Donald from Portage to Graham is full.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:59 PM

It blows my mind a little that people are complaining so much about something that's free and had to be thrown together in a pretty short time with no model in place to follow. Resources are limited. Considering they have to setup and teardown the whole thing each time within the space of one day I'm mighty impressed with what they've been able to pull together. Some fans seem to be living in a fantasy land where the party could just organically expand endlessly and accommodate an unlimited number of people. There's only so many setup staff, so many people to pick up the thousands of beer cans, etc. Not to mention a limited number of police to help secure the area and unfortunately all it takes is one psycho to exploit a weakness in that security and all the sudden Winnipeg could be making international headlines for very very bad reasons. It's free so the sense of entitlement around the party is unwarranted. I went last night and it was a blast. People need to chill.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:01 PM

Anybody know why they leave out all the glass pieces and just put in wood?? Seems like each suite has two windows left out.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:15 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe those are either operable windows or venting for individual unit AC. I am not sure why they are left out though. Just my guess.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I dont get the ticket thing...why not just say the first 25,000 can come in and close the gate once that number is reached.
I guess the problem with that is what do you do if 40,000 show up expecting to be part of the 25,000? Are the extra 15,000 expected to nicely turn around and go back home? As others have said, the whole organic experience has been ruined by the introduction of the ticket policy.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:48 PM

Yup, boy did they blow the wonderful street party thing. In the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter, but look how quickly bureaucrats can kill a cool simple idea by over-thinking it.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I guess the problem with that is what do you do if 40,000 show up expecting to be part of the 25,000? Are the extra 15,000 expected to nicely turn around and go back home?
i guess you dont have to pack up and go home, you just cant get into the street party. Plenty of other places you can go support within walking distance.

i support first come, first entry

with the amount of security and police presence, you only asking for trouble if u start to act a fool when capacity is reached.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:18 PM

I don't see how issuing tickets solves security issues. So it has your name on it, in theory. If you don't get in trouble, then no problem. If you get in trouble, such as the 2 guys that were arrested in front me of last night, then they know who you are anyways. There are cops and security everywhere. Guys with machine guns on roofs, all that stuff.

I believe they purposely wanted to reduce attendance to stop the party from growing, and/or having issues with large volumes of people being turned away at the gate. That being said, issuing 37,000 tickets for a capacity of ~25,000 isn't the best either. What if all those people actually showed up.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Do they ask for your name, phone number or email address? If so, they can monetize you.
Ticketmaster already has all that jazz from me anyways, so makes no difference. As I would think many of the other people attending as well. Privacy is dead, get used to it.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:24 PM

WPS and Danya Spiring are getting into it now and nobody is willing to admit fault.

Last edited by robertocarlos; May 15, 2018 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't see how issuing tickets solves security issues. So it has your name on it, in theory. If you don't get in trouble, then no problem. If you get in trouble, such as the 2 guys that were arrested in front me of last night, then they know who you are anyways. There are cops and security everywhere. Guys with machine guns on roofs, all that stuff.
they have zero paper trail on me, i grabbed 2 tickers from a friend of a friend.
but i understand the attempt to have some type of visibility of who gains entry.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I get that the free street party matters greatly to you. But to the city, to ED Winnipeg, the other orgs involved in putting it on, it's a sideshow. It's not like the people working there cancelled all their meetings back in February when the Jets were creeping up the standings so that they could devote manpower and resources to figuring out how to throw the biggest public ragers possible.
It does not mean too much to me as I am in another city at the moment. So essentially what you are saying is that despite efforts of various government task groups to bring people downtown for most of my lifetime, when an event brings thousands of people together downtown, it is called a "sideshow." Ok makes perfect sense.

Quote:
These things tend to develop over time, the first time is always going to be an attempt to feel things out to see what works and what doesn't. Next year I'm sure the process will be smoother and better thought out.
First off, the Street Party was great until this ridiculous ticket scheme. Secondly, next year the Jets may be eliminated by the first round, or miss the playoffs. That is how the NHL works. Edmonton and Ottawa had playoff runs last season, and were among the worst teams in the league this year. Maybe if you followed hockey, you would realize this may be a one in a lifetime opportunity for people to see the Jets within striking distance of going to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Quote:
The reality is that the street party looks the same to TV viewers whether there are 11,000 people there as was the case yesterday, or 25,000 in the last round.
Not to downtown businesses.

Quote:
And if you're EDW or TNSE which is really interested in the PR bang from all of this, you have to ask yourself what the point is of paying to expand this thing to gargantuan proportions when there is really nothing to be gained once the block of Donald from Portage to Graham is full.
And EDW has failed miserably. Now it has become a PR nightmare as they have all but ruined the grassroots experience of the Street Party.

You are one of the only people from Winnipeg I know that is supporting this ticket scheme. Does it bother you that much to see thousands of your fellow Winnipeggers enjoying themselves?

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 15, 2018 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:09 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ticketmaster already has all that jazz from me anyways, so makes no difference.
But now they'll know that you're a hockey fan, as opposed to a jazz concert fan.

Answering the original question, a list of 25,000 hockey fans - beyond the ones in the arena itself - is worth money.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I believe those are either operable windows or venting for individual unit AC. I am not sure why they are left out though. Just my guess.
This is what they did while building Tower 1 – all the wood pieces were later replaced with vents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan