HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
I thought that corner was part of the Southbank development, I guess not
No, it's a separate development but awesome news that it might not sit vacant while the rest of the site fills in...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Larger rendering of Alta Grand Central.

Source: Pappageorge Haymes Partners
More generic blah-ness with a horrible street presence from those guys.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
More generic blah-ness with a horrible street presence from those guys.
Yes. I can't stand how the exposed supporting columns have come into vogue. There's a lot of that built recently in LA - particularly in Hollywood. It must be some kind of affliction going around.

Apartments.com

Last edited by kolchak; Jun 1, 2018 at 10:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:43 AM

^ Yep. And the whole base is dark glass and generic. There’s nothing to break it up into discernible storefronts. And anyway, these projects only sign things like pharmacies and banks as tenants anyway, so it’s not like there will be anything interesting moving in.

Every block developed that way becomes a permanent dead zone.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:11 PM

The 2 new buildings at 14th and Wabash were issued new construction building permits yesterday for their foundations. One building will be 15 floors with 199 units + retail while the other will be 10 floors with 62 units + retail (261 units total).

This is the former site of a 1 story Columbia College building + parking lot:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...!4d-87.6254508

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
^ Yep. And the whole base is dark glass and generic. There’s nothing to break it up into discernible storefronts. And anyway, these projects only sign things like pharmacies and banks as tenants anyway, so it’s not like there will be anything interesting moving in.

A deadzone would be a blank concrete wall with a parking podium. Or those atrocious townhouses just built a few blocks south of this corner. This is decent IMO. Maybe the exposed support beam isn't your cup of tea. That's fine. At least the whole street presence on Wells and Harrison is lined with retail. Pappageorge Haymes might not be developing the most beautiful buildings, but many are doing a good job of activating the street. Take a look at 465 N Park as another example. They lined the parking podium with townhouses and rental units. We need more of that.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:21 PM
The City

Quote:

Yeah, because “real” cities don’t have silly things like pharmacies and banks, they only have cafes and bakeries and restaurants for miles and miles.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
And anyway, these projects only sign things like pharmacies and banks as tenants anyway, so it’s not like there will be anything interesting moving in.
Hey don't forget about nail salons, immediate care clinics, and crossfit gyms!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:40 PM
The City

Quote:

Criticize all you want, but developments like this are very good for the city.

This bookends the area just north of it, and helps turn what is otherwise a vacant prairie into a gateway into a new area of the city.

Whatever gets built south of this should thank this particular development for beckoning pedestrians to an area of town that nobody would have previously treaded to

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:00 PM

^ I don't actually think this development is terrible. It's going to help that little area out a ton.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:08 PM

Yea, I like it. It actually looks like an active building at the base, and not a giant concrete blank podium. Just the fact that it hides the podium is great to me! I like the exposed columns, it makes it seem more inviting and interesting walking by there. And it looks like a bigger modern version of the classic U-shaped Chicago apartment buildings.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yeah, because “real” cities don’t have silly things like pharmacies and banks, they only have cafes and bakeries and restaurants for miles and miles.
You only need so many of these.

And who the hell are all these people going to the bank? The last time I went to a bank was to open an account four years ago.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:45 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:

And who the hell are all these people going to the bank? The last time I went to a bank was to open an account four years ago.
I get it, but different needs for different people; a lot of people still go to physical banks, albeit not as many as in years past.

This two-fer development is ok, I just wish PH would change up their design MO even just a little...even some exterior color variation, or different glazing patterns would be welcome..it's the same song and dance with those folks

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:17 PM

I guess caisson work is done at 145 S Wells. Case appears to have packed up and left

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
I guess caisson work is done at 145 S Wells. Case appears to have packed up and left
Time to rise. I love watching buildings go up in tight areas with minimal staging area room. Did they rent the roof of the building next to it?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:

Some people still need to have their money laundered, yes?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Time to rise. I love watching buildings go up in tight areas with minimal staging area room. Did they rent the roof of the building next to it?
I doubt they will use that building's roof for staging. What they usually do is use the area above the sidewalk shed to put containers, concrete equipment, etc

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 11:49 PM
1st Ward

Quote:

Seems a bit squat for a development that will be a building block towards connecting the Loop with the newly developing areas to the south.

Otherwise, the design seems fine, if not a bit boring. Glad to see balconies at a minimum.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 8:24 AM

My issue is mostly the glass ground floor with few entrantrances. It’s unlikely to create interesting retail spaces or street presence.

Needs smaller (or at least longer, narrower) retail spaces, more doors and visual separation between them to make for an interesting street presence. That goes back to Jane Jacobs... the more front doors on a street, the better.

Basically, even when developments are built to cover entire city blocks, it would be best if the ground floor retail was still built as if it were divided into narrow plots. Again, at least visually. If a retailer needs a bigger space, well then firstly there can be retail on the second floor with access from ground level, but they can also take multiple spaces with multiple entrances. It just sucks the life out of the pedestrian environment when there’s a wall 50 yards long, even if there are windows in it.

Last edited by 10023; Jun 2, 2018 at 8:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 1:40 PM
The City

Quote:
My issue is mostly the glass ground floor with few entrantrances. It’s unlikely to create interesting retail spaces or street presence.

Needs smaller (or at least longer, narrower) retail spaces, more doors and visual separation between them to make for an interesting street presence. That goes back to Jane Jacobs... the more front doors on a street, the better.

Basically, even when developments are built to cover entire city blocks, it would be best if the ground floor retail was still built as if it were divided into narrow plots. Again, at least visually. If a retailer needs a bigger space, well then firstly there can be retail on the second floor with access from ground level, but they can also take multiple spaces with multiple entrances. It just sucks the life out of the pedestrian environment when there’s a wall 50 yards long, even if there are windows in it.
Uhhh, usually large retail spaces are divisible. Those are mere renderings, they have no idea who is occupying the retail space and what their footprints will be.

Budget wise, it’s nothing to create a new door and build out non-structural partitions between retail spaces

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations