HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 9:11 PM

Differences between SW Ontario vs Eastern Ontario

- Eastern Ontario is more French Canadian and Irish, SW Ontario is more German and Dutch

- SW Ontario has more evangelicals (Baptists, Mennonites, Dutch Calvinist etc.) - largely though not entirely related to the German/Dutch presence.

- Eastern Ontario has a more visible UEL presence even today. SW Ontario had more settlers (from both Britain and the US) with more democratic and populist tendencies, making it a stronghold for the Liberals (Clear Grits) in the 19th century and the United Farmers of Ontario after WWI. It was also the main bastion of the Ontario Liberals up until the 1970s.

- SW Ontario is probably more "socially conservative" on issues like abortion because of the larger evangelical presence. Eastern Ontario takes the more traditional or conservative position on issues like support for the military and monarchy (in addition to the Loyalist culture of Eastern Ontario, SW Ontario has pockets, particularly German-settled areas, with a more complicated relationship to the military and monarchy).

- In terms of economy, SW Ontario has more prosperous agricultural areas and is also part of the industrial heartland. Eastern Ontario would have more public employment (simply because Ottawa makes about half the population!)

- SW Ontario cities have a more "Midwestern" urban form than Eastern Ontario cities do.

I haven't defined it exactly - but I'm thinking that SW Ontario is more or less synonymous with the 519 area code or "N" postal codes, while Eastern Ontario = 613 or "K" postal codes.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 9:14 PM

(Also why can't thread titles be edited?)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 10:55 PM

So, these two regions are east and west of the GTA's sphere of influence or, more broadly speaking the Golden Horseshoe's.

I guess, the GTA itself falls into neither of these regions? Hamilton is more aligned with southwestern Ontario. Whereas somewhere between Oshawa and Belleville, the influence of eastern Ontario begins (maybe Cobourg or Peterborough?).

There's not really much of a transitional area between eastern and southwestern Ontario, is there?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:04 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Eastern Ontario has tons of Scots in SDG counties.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Eastern Ontario has tons of Scots in SDG counties.
Glengarry County was a Scottish Highland Loyalist settlement, but overall the share of Scottish origin is not dramatically different between SW Ontario and Eastern Ontario.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:30 AM

Eastern Ontario is colder and some of it is in the Canadian Shield.

The Great Lakes loom larger in SW Ontario (particularly Huron/Georgian Bay), while Eastern Ontario has lots of little lakes.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
- Eastern Ontario is more French Canadian and Irish, SW Ontario is more German and Dutch

- SW Ontario has more evangelicals (Baptists, Mennonites, Dutch Calvinist etc.) - largely though not entirely related to the German/Dutch presence.

- Eastern Ontario has a more visible UEL presence even today. SW Ontario had more settlers (from both Britain and the US) with more democratic and populist tendencies, making it a stronghold for the Liberals (Clear Grits) in the 19th century and the United Farmers of Ontario after WWI. It was also the main bastion of the Ontario Liberals up until the 1970s.

- SW Ontario is probably more "socially conservative" on issues like abortion because of the larger evangelical presence. Eastern Ontario takes the more traditional or conservative position on issues like support for the military and monarchy (in addition to the Loyalist culture of Eastern Ontario, SW Ontario has pockets, particularly German-settled areas, with a more complicated relationship to the military and monarchy).

- In terms of economy, SW Ontario has more prosperous agricultural areas and is also part of the industrial heartland. Eastern Ontario would have more public employment (simply because Ottawa makes about half the population!)

- SW Ontario cities have a more "Midwestern" urban form than Eastern Ontario cities do.

I haven't defined it exactly - but I'm thinking that SW Ontario is more or less synonymous with the 519 area code or "N" postal codes, while Eastern Ontario = 613 or "K" postal codes.
I would agree with all of those. I'm trying to think of some additional differences.

-SW ON has much more manufacturing as part of its economy

-SW Ontarians are much more attached to the U.S. (especially economically but also for travel and shopping) than those in Eastern ON. Borders crossing in the SW are mostly city to city while the Eastern ones are between smaller places. You are much more likely to see U.S. companies in the SW. It's often the first place they will try in Canada. For example, many American restaurant chains or stores will try out London. I find that people in the Southwest are much more influenced by Americans.

-Agree that Eastern ON is bigger on military. Both Trenton and Petawawa are places where it is the main employer. I believe Kingston has quite a few people who work in it as well. Ottawa does of course even though it's not a significant percentage of those working in the city. I can't think of any place in the Southwest that is a military town. There is Borden near Barrie but technically that's GTA and not the SW.

-More people in Eastern ON visit Montreal and Quebec much more frequently due to being much closer. This is especially the case East of Kingston and including Ottawa. You hear people in SW ON talking more often about visiting Michigan or Ohio and maybe Chicago over Quebec.

-politically, the NDP has had more success in the Southwest. I don't know of the NDP ever winning more than a couple of seats in Eastern Ontario both federally or provincially with the exception of the 1990 provincial election. In 1990 they won five seats but that was a fluke and the victories were very close three-way splits. In the Southwest, they will often win seats in Windsor, London and sometimes Kitchener.

-

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:11 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I think OPP's stricter in SW than in Eastern.
Going down the 401 west of London, every now and then, I see signs telling drivers the speeding fine for each increment of 10 km/h over the speed limit. On the other hand, in the east, I only see it at Napanee. Technically there's one east of Cornwall but that one's expected because you're coming into Ontario from another province. But that's only the 401

The other places where I see that sign in eastern Ontario are 17 near (but southeast of) Renfrew and around Alfred (in Prescott & Russell).

In SW, on the other hand, I see those signs on 24 (between Brantford and Waterloo) and on 6 (at Southern Bruce Peninsula).

Maybe I'm just biased.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Borders crossing in the SW are mostly city to city while the Eastern ones are between smaller places.
Good point. SW Ontario shares a border with the most heavily populated part of Michigan, while Eastern Ontario shares a border with NYS's very thinly populated North Country.

Quote:
-politically, the NDP has had more success in the Southwest. I don't know of the NDP ever winning more than a couple of seats in Eastern Ontario both federally or provincially with the exception of the 1990 provincial election. In 1990 they won five seats but that was a fluke and the victories were very close three-way splits. In the Southwest, they will often win seats in Windsor, London and sometimes Kitchener.
Yup, SW Ontario has a history of industrial trade unionism and class voting for the "labour party." Windsor today is an NDP stronghold.

Eastern Ontario is the weakest region for the NDP in the province.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 7:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

small town eastern and SW ontario have a lot in common, as do larger cities of eastern and western ontario.

London, KW are much more like Ottawa and Kingston, whereas Lancaster and Mallorytown are a lot like Ridgetown and Innerkip.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 7:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Eastern Ontario is the home of the aggressive traffic cops. Brockville and Napanee: those places are their likely lairs.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
small town eastern and SW ontario have a lot in common, as do larger cities of eastern and western ontario.

London, KW are much more like Ottawa and Kingston, whereas Lancaster and Mallorytown are a lot like Ridgetown and Innerkip.
Yeah, I don't think eastern and western (Southern) Ontario are that different. There's a thread here about splitting up Ontario into new provinces but the only "split" that (may) be understandable because of a fundamental cultural and economic divide is the primary division, Northern and Southern.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
So, these two regions are east and west of the GTA's sphere of influence or, more broadly speaking the Golden Horseshoe's.

I guess, the GTA itself falls into neither of these regions? Hamilton is more aligned with southwestern Ontario. Whereas somewhere between Oshawa and Belleville, the influence of eastern Ontario begins (maybe Cobourg or Peterborough?).

There's not really much of a transitional area between eastern and southwestern Ontario, is there?
The GTA is neither. Traditionally the "L" postal codes were viewed as south-central Ontario (the Toronto area, Niagara, Simcoe County etc.)

Northumberland, Peterborough, Haliburton and the Kawarthas seem to be the transition area between eastern and central Ontario.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:33 AM

Eastern Ontario itself also has a notable divide between the Ottawa region and the Kingston/Quinte region with the two areas having a lot of differences. Kingston is a lot more "isolated"--in the sense of having a distinct sense of place and feeling removed from the rest of the province--than you'd expect by looking at a map. Ottawa and Toronto seem far away even though they really aren't.. and in many ways, the two cities kind of share the role of being Kingston's "big city", despite Kingston being in the east along with Ottawa, and Ottawa being a shorter drive.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:48 AM

Along the 401 Kingston is about the halfway point between Toronto and Montreal and London is about the halfway point between Toronto and Windsor/Detroit.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Eastern Ontario itself also has a notable divide between the Ottawa region and the Kingston/Quinte region with the two areas having a lot of differences. Kingston is a lot more "isolated"--in the sense of having a distinct sense of place and feeling removed from the rest of the province--than you'd expect by looking at a map. Ottawa and Toronto seem far away even though they really aren't.. and in many ways, the two cities kind of share the role of being Kingston's "big city", despite Kingston being in the east along with Ottawa, and Ottawa being a shorter drive.
Where would you say Kingston's sphere of influence covers?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Where would you say Kingston's sphere of influence covers?
Maybe a half hour or so drive to the north, east, and west. Out to Napanee-ish going west, almost to Brockville going east, and the rural areas to the north, up to about as far as Sharbot Lake and Westport. Oh, and the Frontenac Islands to the south (Wolfe Island, Howe Island, Amherst Island).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 6:35 AM

Some Census data:

Southwestern Ontario

Total population: 2,499,775

Canadian 737,350 29.5%
English 716,030 28.6%
Scottish 535,155 21.4%
Irish 490,295 19.6%
German 418,485 16.7%
French 286,565 11.5%
Dutch 182,435 7.3%
Italian 126,160 5%

Visible minority 310,880 12.4%
South Asian 66,540 2.7%
Black 52,010 2.1%
Chinese 43,115 1.7%
Arab 41,705 1.7%

Aboriginal identity 63,170 2.5%

Eastern Ontario

Total population: 1,725,890

Canadian 612,320 35.5%
English 426,280 24.7%
Irish 412,745 23.9%
Scottish 387,085 22.4%
French 343,565 19.9%
German 169,220 9.8%
Dutch 75,120 4.4%
Italian 67,170 3.9%

Visible minority 272,045 15.8%
Black 66,295 3.8%
Chinese 46,090 2.7%
South Asian 46,070 2.7%
Arab 42,920 2.5%

Aboriginal identity 63,155 3.7%

Last edited by Docere; Mar 2, 2018 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:22 PM

Religion (2011 NHS):

SW Ontario

Catholic 699,610 27.8%
Mainline Protestant 601,980 23.9%
Other Protestant 421,290 16.7%
No religion 640,615 25.4%

Eastern Ontario

Catholic 614,385 37%
Mainline Protestant 358,000 21.5%
Other Protestant 191,745 11.5%
No religion 373,930 22.5%

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:40 PM

I was using the Wikipedia/area code definitions of Eastern and Southwestern Ontario.

There are county warden caucuses for Eastern and Western Ontario and they use more extensive definitions.

Western is basically the same as the Wikipedia/area code defintion but also takes in Simcoe (since there's no central it was forced to "pick a side.")

http://www.wowc.ca/

Eastern includes Northumberland, Kawartha Lakes, Peterborough and Haliburton:

http://www.eowc.org/en/about-us/our-municipalities.aspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario