HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 11:43 PM

King John Buildings | ? | 5 fl | Under Construction

Does anyone know if this is a real proposal? Stunning hotel concept on Gore Park next to Burrito Boyz. Man, I'd love to see some 21st Century big-city vibes like this instead of fake heritage additions all the time....

Source:
http://www.tcarch.ca/projects.php?projectID=230

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 12:06 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Does anyone know if this is a real proposal? Stunning hotel concept on Gore Park next to Burrito Boyz. Man, I'd love to see some 21st Century big-city vibes like this instead of fake heritage additions all the time....

Source:
http://www.tcarch.ca/projects.php?projectID=230
OMG this would be stunning!!!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
OMG this would be stunning!!!
I've heard of a real cool, and funky concept, but not details. Nice to see something.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:18 AM

$6M ‘boutique hotel’ overlooking Gore Park envisioned for downtown

For weeks, crews have been cleaning out 62 and 64 King St. E., but amid the dust and debris, Patrick Bermingham's vision for these two stoic buildings facing Gore Park is clearer than ever.

"When anybody comes to Hamilton, you want to provide a place where they can eat, sleep, work and meet. So why not a boutique hotel?"

So the former CEO of Bermingham Foundation Solutions, who bought the properties with a partner in February, has released plans for the Beverley Hamilton Hotel.

Designed by Thier + Curran Architects Inc. (TCA), the 20-room hotel would have a ground-floor restaurant, a rooftop patio and deck, one floor designed for events and "a space in the basement for spin classes," Bermingham, an avid cyclist, says. Some of the hotel rooms could also be used for extended stays.

After the initial purchase of the long-vacant 62 King St. E., Bermingham and partner Malcolm Silver, a Toronto commercial real estate investor, closed a deal for the building next door at 64 King St. E.

By having both buildings Bermingham says a redesign of the space will allow more light and better access through the narrow spaces.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Beverley Hamilton Hotel | ? | ? | U/C

The Beverley Hotel Hamilton would feature 20 rooms, restaurant and event space

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...-for-downtown/

For weeks, crews have been cleaning out 62 and 64 King St. E., but amid the dust and debris, Patrick Bermingham's vision for these two stoic buildings facing Gore Park is clearer than ever.

"When anybody comes to Hamilton, you want to provide a place where they can eat, sleep, work and meet. So why not a boutique hotel?"

So the former CEO of Bermingham Foundation Solutions, who bought the properties with a partner in February, has released plans for the Beverley Hamilton Hotel.

Designed by Thier + Curran Architects Inc. (TCA), the 20-room hotel would have a ground-floor restaurant, a rooftop patio and deck, one floor designed for events and "a space in the basement for spin classes," Bermingham, an avid cyclist, says. Some of the hotel rooms could also be used for extended stays.

After the initial purchase of the long-vacant 62 King St. E., Bermingham and partner Malcolm Silver, a Toronto commercial real estate investor, closed a deal for the building next door at 64 King St. E.

By having both buildings Bermingham says a redesign of the space will allow more light and better access through the narrow spaces.

With an investment of about $6 million, Bermingham aims to be part of a downtown on the upswing.

"I'm not a big risk-taker, but we're buying two buildings right in the downtown core, and after seeing the Redchurch Cafe and Gallery (also on King Street), I thought there's no reason why this area won't transform and become the hub of the city."

As a fan of "modern hotel culture" Bermingham was encouraged when he heard the owners of the Beverley Hotel in Toronto were looking to expand to Hamilton.

"I'm a tree-planter, I have limited skills and they don't include hotel management."

Nathan Leitner of Level Hospitality, owners of the Beverley Toronto, says the project is a perfect fit. "We're excited to get this project off the ground."

So Bermingham says he is acting as a guide and putting people together. They are in discussion with the owners of the Beverley Hotel to come in as a tenant and with restaurant group the Other Bird, owners of Rapscallion, Two Black Sheep and others, to run food, beverage and events.

In designing the adaptive reuse of the century-old buildings, TCA Architects intends to preserve the integrity of the modest facades while adding vertical additions needed for space, drama and light.

"The addition of glass makes a statement, and at a height that reveals great views of the city, sunsets, the harbour and a window onto Gore Park, our town square," says architect Bill Curran, principal at TCA.

One can sense that Bermingham is raring to go, but such a project in such a prominent place will take time for city approvals. Curran projects that the first step of going through the city's site-plan approval process could take at least a year, perhaps closer to two.

"It's a slow, frustrating process for clients and contrary to the city's 'open for business' posture," Curran says. "This is one of the most exciting things to happen on the Gore with real catalytic potential, at a time when other buildings are languishing."

With his former company. Bermingham says he made a decision to stay and grow the business on Hamilton's waterfront even when a move to a bigger location in another city seemed appealing. The same invest-in-Hamilton ethos guides his drive to build a hotel downtown.

"It's now or never. The city needs new people coming here, staying over night, and talking about their experience. With new people and younger people coming here, their transformative power can turn Hamilton into a magnet city."

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:54 PM

This will make Stinson green with envy if it's successful.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:00 PM

I see that the thread labels this project as Under Construction. If you re-read the article you'll notice that they still are in the proposal stages. From talking to the owners, they've only cleared the interior so far. They can't actually start Construction until they approval from the city though.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The Beverley Hotel Hamilton would feature 20 rooms, restaurant and event space

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...-for-downtown/

With an investment of about $6 million, Bermingham aims to be part of a downtown on the upswing.

"I'm not a big risk-taker, but we're buying two buildings right in the downtown core, and after seeing the Redchurch Cafe and Gallery (also on King Street), I thought there's no reason why this area won't transform and become the hub of the city."

As a fan of "modern hotel culture" Bermingham was encouraged when he heard the owners of the Beverley Hotel in Toronto were looking to expand to Hamilton.

"I'm a tree-planter, I have limited skills and they don't include hotel management."

Nathan Leitner of Level Hospitality, owners of the Beverley Toronto, says the project is a perfect fit. "We're excited to get this project off the ground."

So Bermingham says he is acting as a guide and putting people together. They are in discussion with the owners of the Beverley Hotel to come in as a tenant and with restaurant group the Other Bird, owners of Rapscallion, Two Black Sheep and others, to run food, beverage and events.

In designing the adaptive reuse of the century-old buildings, TCA Architects intends to preserve the integrity of the modest facades while adding vertical additions needed for space, drama and light.

"The addition of glass makes a statement, and at a height that reveals great views of the city, sunsets, the harbour and a window onto Gore Park, our town square," says architect Bill Curran, principal at TCA.

One can sense that Bermingham is raring to go, but such a project in such a prominent place will take time for city approvals. Curran projects that the first step of going through the city's site-plan approval process could take at least a year, perhaps closer to two.

"It's a slow, frustrating process for clients and contrary to the city's 'open for business' posture," Curran says. "This is one of the most exciting things to happen on the Gore with real catalytic potential, at a time when other buildings are languishing."

With his former company. Bermingham says he made a decision to stay and grow the business on Hamilton's waterfront even when a move to a bigger location in another city seemed appealing. The same invest-in-Hamilton ethos guides his drive to build a hotel downtown.

"It's now or never. The city needs new people coming here, staying over night, and talking about their experience. With new people and younger people coming here, their transformative power can turn Hamilton into a magnet city."

I do like the plan for a boutique style hotel in the Gore. They need to bring life into that strip badly. It would be nice if the surrounding tenants such as burrito boyz changes to a little more polished tenants before this ever gets built.

Last edited by hamilton23; Oct 2, 2018 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
I do like the plan for a boutique style hotel in the Gore. They need to bring life into that strip badly. It would be nice if the surrounding tenants such as burrito boyz changes to a little more polished tenants before this ever gets built.
Ah mannn, but Burrito Boyz is so good!

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:21 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
From what I've heard it's pretty popular, so I can't see them just packing up and calling it off if they had to move out.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
From what I've heard it's pretty popular, so I can't see them just packing up and calling it off if they had to move out.
They are popular. They're in several cities across Ontario. I'm not dissing the actual food. I personally don't think it fits next to something like this.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Haha it is good! Not knocking the actual food. Does it fit with this type of modern design though? No. The inside of Burito Boys is pretty glum.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:27 PM

Great if they can make this happen, sure the catwalk will not happen, but sure they can create something equally stunning. Nice to call out the slow "open for business" reality. Hamilton City needs to show how fast they can go.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Great if they can make this happen, sure the catwalk will not happen, but sure they can create something equally stunning. Nice to call out the slow "open for business" reality. Hamilton City needs to show how fast they can go.
It would certainly be a much welcomed and appreciated addition to the Gore.

We need more life on that side.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 10:57 PM

LOVE the catwalk overhang piece...so cool

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

Speaking from an architects perspective - that roof overhang probably wouldn't be able to handle snow loads and would most likely have to be redesigned - so the overall look would probably be changed. That or it'd involve some serious reinforced metal. The overall proposed visuals are not done by engineers or architectural technologists, which is why you often see structural changes done afterwards to factor in the engineered loads that can only be calculated once designs start.

In addition I am not sure if the core allows for jutouts with the sculpture on it as anything that can collapse out onto people is generally avoided due to the era of marquis jut outs from the old theatres collapsing and killing people. That and the pedestal the sculpture is on looks very flimsy to hold something that heavy. Nice concept, but changes would definitely be done before it ever got built. There is just too little load support in this building for it to probably even pass code.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Speaking from an architects perspective - that roof overhang probably wouldn't be able to handle snow loads and would most likely have to be redesigned - so the overall look would probably be changed. That or it'd involve some serious reinforced metal. The overall proposed visuals are not done by engineers or architectural technologists, which is why you often see structural changes done afterwards to factor in the engineered loads that can only be calculated once designs start.

In addition I am not sure if the core allows for jutouts with the sculpture on it as anything that can collapse out onto people is generally avoided due to the era of marquis jut outs from the old theatres collapsing and killing people. That and the pedestal the sculpture is on looks very flimsy to hold something that heavy. Nice concept, but changes would definitely be done before it ever got built. There is just too little load support in this building for it to probably even pass code.
As someone invested in the core and as someone who likes this design, I don't see this design being approved. I think this is just a render to get the public excited since it's a pretty radically different architectural style than most buildings downtown. I can see it being approved with slight modifications to the design though. Again, this is going to be a long process with approvals and resubmissions (if applicable) construction...

Regardless, it's a good idea to have a boutique style small hotel like this in the core.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:05 AM

you're probably right...Hamilton being Hamilton. Something not pre-cast faux brick is too exciting around here. Amazing how small-townish we became sometime in the last 4 decades. I mean TO used to call us 'The Ambitious City'. Incredible to see how quickly a city can become insular and hillbilly-ish.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
you're probably right...Hamilton being Hamilton. Something not pre-cast faux brick is too exciting around here. Amazing how small-townish we became sometime in the last 4 decades. I mean TO used to call us 'The Ambitious City'. Incredible to see how quickly a city can become insular and hillbilly-ish.
It doesn't have much to do with that. We've seen a lot of modern designs be proposed by developers that never get built as a result of a lack of funding and other issues related to the developer and not the city.

It also doesn't help that the surrounding buildings in Gore Park don't match this design at all. If this does indeed get approved as rendered, this may kickstart other developers to think outside of the box in regards to building something radically different right in Gore Park.

I support this project and I hope they build it.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 3:06 AM
Ham-burgher

This is dead. Buildings to be sold.

Gore Park developers scuttle boutique Hamilton hotel plans
Building owners say the numbers don’t work and the architect says city staff should have kept their fingers out of his design
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...n-hotel-plans/

But the story also mentions Bermingham is involved with 103 King E... which would be this project: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=220439. Is this the first time that's been noted on this board? That thread has been stale a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton