HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
The other side keeps referring to old white people so I'm lumping the rest of you as millennials or ethnics. Own it.
Then just call them ethnic minorities and call it a day.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 12:51 AM

Sensitive stuff, no? Why can't we all just all get along?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 1:59 AM

[QUOTE=dpoulos27;8514463]Lol Don't waste your cleverness on dudes like that. Anyone who uses terms like "ethnics" doesn't deserve a response. He's just trying to get attention.

You're absolutely right. I forgot what my mama taught me as a child: Don't feed the seagulls or the pigeons, they'll just shit all over you, your nice blanket and your neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 2:04 AM

OK I'm done with this topic. Carry on.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:47 PM

The Integral Group has officially selected French-based Navya as its partner for the autonomous vehicles.

https://whatnowatlanta.com/assembly-...mous-shuttles/
Quote:
The shuttle will launch this spring and will be the "first autonomous shuttle in the region, as well as the first autonomous shuttle in a transit-oriented mixed-use development."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 10:48 AM

MARTA to launch car-sharing service at 22 rail stations, looking for vendors

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Quote:
MARTA is launching a car-sharing program and casting its net for qualified vendors.

The transit agency released a request for qualifications March 21 for a program that aims to provide the car-sharing service at 22 rail stations. MARTA has 38 rail stations in its system.

The service would be comparable to Zipcar, a Boston-based car-sharing service now in use at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

“The contractor owns and operates a car-sharing service whereby contractor’s registered members schedule the use of a vehicle for a specified period of time, obtaining the vehicle at a designated location and return[ing] the vehicle to the designated location upon completion of use," the RFQ states.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:51 PM

I hope they choose zipcar, since they already have so many locations to pickup/dropoff around Atlanta already it would make the most sense.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 1:19 AM
AK

Stadler to supply up to 354 metro cars to Atlanta https://www.metro-report.com/news/si...o-atlanta.html

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:46 AM
AK

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:48 AM

I was just wondering about the timeline for the new rail cars this weekend. I wish they were getting here a little bit sooner but also think they would come at a great time as the city continues to grow and the system is finally being expanded.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I was just wondering about the timeline for the new rail cars this weekend. I wish they were getting here a little bit sooner but also think they would come at a great time as the city continues to grow and the system is finally being expanded.
Yeah, that's a nice way of looking at it. These cars are for heavy rail only correct?

By 2023, I'd love to see things like:
A light rail section of the Beltline under construction
Southside trail completed
Krog MARTA infill station in final design stages
Summerhill BRT completed

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Yeah, that's a nice way of looking at it. These cars are for heavy rail only correct?

By 2023, I'd love to see things like:
A light rail section of the Beltline under construction (Irwin to PCM [but preferably Lindbergh] as well as the westside trail
Southside, NE, Kudzu, and Path 400 connection to Beltline trails completed... but priority to Southside
Krog MARTA infill station in final design stages
Summerhill BRT completed
North Ave BRT under construction
Updated, with my thoughts^^

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 8:46 PM

Looks like it'll be a while longer until Cobb gets any MARTA service.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...eRphMnukm0XBL/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:48 PM

Question for everyone:

If Cobb votes to join MARTA and it includes HRT or Commuter rail... do you think the city and MARTA would balk at moving forward with the NW BeltLine transit in lieu to help fund a direct line to Cumerland and Marietta, including a few in-town stations?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Question for everyone:

If Cobb votes to join MARTA and it includes HRT or Commuter rail... do you think the city and MARTA would balk at moving forward with the NW BeltLine transit in lieu to help fund a direct line to Cumerland and Marietta, including a few in-town stations?
If the whole county of Gwinnett can only support a single 5 mile segment of HRT with their tax revenues for the whole county, then a sub district of Cobb (most likely Cumberland) will certainly not be able to support any rail project. If anything, the whole county would need a 1% tax revenue to support the cost of building any rail.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
If the whole county of Gwinnett can only support a single 5 mile segment of HRT with their tax revenues for the whole county, then a sub district of Cobb (most likely Cumberland) will certainly not be able to support any rail project. If anything, the whole county would need a 1% tax revenue to support the cost of building any rail.
Please feel free to respond to the original question.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Please feel free to respond to the original question.
I just don't think LRT is feasible for Cobb given current tax revenues, so I don't think your question is relevant to what will likely happen.

A 1% tax in Cobb would raise about $130 million per year, pop 756k
A 1% tax in Gwinnett would raise about $158 million per year, pop 970k
A 1% tax in Clayton would raise about $45 million per year, pop 283k

I guess I was trying to say I didn't see light rail or heavy rail being part of Cobb's strategy, because it is too expensive to build out. There is an 8 mile gap between Arts Center station and the Chattahoochee. While Gwinnett could potentially fund 5 miles with it's whole county %1 tax proposed earlier this year, Cobb would certainly not be able to fund 10 miles of HRT or LRT, which cost similar amounts to build per mile.

I think it is feasible for Cobb to build commuter rail, which could have a stop near Howell Mill road on the way to Downtown, where the likely terminating stop would be. Most likely, though, Cobb will implement BRT from Arts Center, which would not go through the Howell Mill road area.

If, in some alternate world Cobb was going to build LRT, I think Atlantans would balk at providing any connection point for their rail transit, however, I think rail to Howell Mill is needed and this, in my opinion, should take priority over the SE Beltline corridor on their current project list.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
If, in some alternate world Cobb was going to build LRT, I think Atlantans would balk at providing any connection point for their rail transit, however, I think rail to Howell Mill is needed and this, in my opinion, should take priority over the SE Beltline corridor on their current project list.
Thank you for humoring me!

I intend to spur conversation about what would be ideal and wanted. Finances is one thing, sure, however there is a balance of including dialogue of what could be achieved or preferred in contrast with merely ending the conversation before it has even occurred due to subjective constraints. For example Metro Atlanta could, in theory, raise property taxes to fund numerous new rail routes throughout the region.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Thank you for humoring me!

I intend to spur conversation about what would be ideal and wanted. Finances is one thing, sure, however there is a balance of including dialogue of what could be achieved or preferred in contrast with merely ending the conversation before it has even occurred due to subjective constraints.
I too like to think about the possibilities of where rail can go (I have rode MARTA, MBTA, CTA, MTA, and SEPTA to work in the cities I have lived in) however, I think for transit to be successful, an area needs to have the density and tax base to support transit. It seems great to think about how we can raise lots of money for rail, but when we build rail and it is underutilized (think: Miami's heavy rail system), it is counter productive because the public will see it as a boondoggle and a drain on tax revenues.

I think we should instead concentrate on encouraging density in key suburban nodes (Cumberland, Norcross, 400 corridor, etc) and reserve the right of way for future transit, which Gwinnett did when they purchased the old Lucent technologies site. The pieces should fall into place when the density is right to support transit, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta