HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:07 PM

Please Dorion, don't send Karlsson to Tampa.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:53 PM
Near Generational

I feel bad for Vancouver fans.

I didn't think it was actually possible to get worse during free agency, but Dim Jim seems to have pulled it off. Honorable mention goes to Ken Holland in Detroit.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 9:30 PM

Benning reaffirms why he is one of the worst Gms in the league by giving 4-year contracts to mediocre 3rd/4th line players. With the loss of the Sedins I see another bottom-5 finish, even with the improvement of some of their young players and rookie seasons from Johansson and Juelovi.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Benning reaffirms why he is one of the worst Gms in the league by giving 4-year contracts to mediocre 3rd/4th line players. With the loss of the Sedins I see another bottom-5 finish, even with the improvement of some of their young players and rookie seasons from Johansson and Juelovi.
I don't think Juolevi is going to make the team, and we don't have a Johansson. The rookies that have shot at making it are Pettersson, Hughes (if he signs), Demko, and Gaudette. Pettersson and Hughes are potential elite while Gaudette could turn out to be a great 2nd or 3rd line centre. The pieces are slowly coming together through each draft year, and while Benning's free agency signings are not super great, he's not hurting the future of the team. Lose for Hughes - 2019.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I don't think Juolevi is going to make the team, and we don't have a Johansson. The rookies that have shot at making it are Pettersson, Hughes (if he signs), Demko, and Gaudette. Pettersson and Hughes are potential elite while Gaudette could turn out to be a great 2nd or 3rd line centre. The pieces are slowly coming together through each draft year, and while Benning's free agency signings are not super great, he's not hurting the future of the team. Lose for Hughes - 2019.
Meant Pettersson. And Benning has hurt the future of the team by not extracting the most value for expiring contracts in past seasons through trades and also signing terrible long-term contracts for marginal players which may hurt the team in a few years time - as young players finish their entry level contracts 1) the team may have less cap space to sign them to new deals and 2) be able to sign good free agents or trade for larger contracts of good players to fill in missing pieces on the team missing through draft and development ie) defense.

Last edited by blueandgoldguy; Jul 7, 2018 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:08 PM
arf

NHL notebook: Habs reportedly looking to trade Pacioretty

So what exactly is Bergevin's plan here? Suck more than he's sucked before? Rebuild? If that's the case you would expect Max to be a cheaper buy than Price who could actually, maybe yield some value in draft options and prospects. I like both guys, but if you're thinking this is a rebuild I would think that Price isn't my goaltender long term, although I didn't just sign him to an 8 year contract. Despite that he's been injured a couple of times now and just had his worst season ever.

Weird guy.

Looking at the offseason which team is going to suck more? Islanders or Canadiens?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:28 PM
Near Generational

Apparently he was all but traded to LAK, but couldn't agree on a contract. The guys on the NHL network were saying he wants to be back paid for the friendly contract he is currently on. Unfortunately, this isn't how the world works.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:14 PM
arf

^Nope, it doesn't. Given how bad last season was for him, he'll be lucky to pull 3 million a season from some team. Montreal might have a hard time trading him at this point and he's going to have a hard time generating interest right now. I've liked him a lot over the years, but he's not in a good bargaining place right now. Could be good for the Canadiens this year though if he plays like the contract he wants in a trade.

Anyone want to grade the management of Canada's teams? I'm only seeing two teams above a C.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:28 PM
Derp

Bergevins actions are reminding me of the Seinfeld episode where George was doing everything he could to get fired from the Yankees, but no matter how hard he tried, Steinbrenner just wouldn't bite

Anybody surprised to see Patrick Maroon sign in St. Louis for a paltry 1.75M? He fired his agent last week and just hired a new one, so I'm thinking he got some very bad advice about waiting for a honey of a deal that never materialized.
At least he gets to play in his hometown, but I gotta wonder how much he left on the table prior to this signing

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:55 PM

Apt comparison. It truly is shocking that he's held onto the job for so long. It's one thing to be terrible at your job, but to be so arrogant and act like you're doing it better than anyone is what kills me about it. He even laid blame on the players for the terrible season, but didn't mention himself.

I have no clue what the Molson family is doing.

At my work, for the past six years I've had to deal with a property manager who can't fulfill the simplest request without having me send him a total of seven letters/emails/faxes/voicemails for each thing. And half the time I end up emailing or calling the owner of the property to get the ball rolling. And he asks me why am I contacting him? Exactly. Yet the same PM is still managing his properties after all these years. Must know some deep down secrets and holding them as leverage.

And my coworker and his friend owned 13 rental properties. They were using a PM firm that is basically one guy and two support staff. He repeatedly screwed up every invoice, billed low or high, forgot to transfer the rents, etc. Couldn't type an email or text without multiple spelling mistakes. Would have third party repair guys come in to fix appliances despite them being under warranty and trying to charge the owners when it obviously should be a free fix from a company approved repair guy.

The guy I know and his friend had this PM on a rolodex of approved PMs at their real estate brokerage. So he was also the PM for other brokers who owned properties and could potentially be the PM for more.

They warned him a few times to shape up or get the boot. They finally got rid of him and blacklisted him at the brokerage. And if you ever looked up his firm on yellowpages or google you'd see confirmation of his ineptitude. I'm taking several dozens of negative reviews of total incompetence and even illegal scamming. Not sure why this brokerage held onto him for so long.

This is basically Bergevin.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:10 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Nope, it doesn't. Given how bad last season was for him, he'll be lucky to pull 3 million a season from some team. Montreal might have a hard time trading him at this point and he's going to have a hard time generating interest right now. I've liked him a lot over the years, but he's not in a good bargaining place right now. Could be good for the Canadiens this year though if he plays like the contract he wants in a trade.

Anyone want to grade the management of Canada's teams? I'm only seeing two teams above a C.
Calgary, Winnipeg and Toronto are all a solid B or above (although Winnipeg's off season hasn't been nearly as productive as Calgary and Toronto's). Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal are all D or F.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:17 PM

Calgary should be interesting this year. I wonder if they can get more out of Hanifin than Carolina could. He'll be surrounded by a solid d-core, and if he can't do it there then I don't know where else it's going to happen. Also need to see if the addition of James Neal is enough to address some of the scoring issues from last year.

Overall I'd predict at least a slight bounce back from last year.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:19 PM
arf

I'm a little surprised by the Maroon deal, but he's only a 40 point a season guy and that's when he's got great people feeding him the puck. Might have been better, but he'd have a lot to prove to me to say more than 2 million at this point.

He should do fine in St. Louis though with the talent up front there. He might be on the second line.

Unfortunately for Montreal fans, there's no chance that Bergevin would get to drag the Stanley Cup behind his car around the parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:42 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Unfortunately for Montreal fans, there's no chance that Bergevin would get to drag the Stanley Cup behind his car around the parking lot.
Maybe he should don the bodysuit and streak across the ice

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:19 PM

Just heard nhl alumni Ray Emery drowned this morning in the Hamilton harbour. Unfortunate as he was entertaining while he played.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Just heard nhl alumni Ray Emery drowned this morning in the Hamilton harbour. Unfortunate as he was entertaining while he played.
Only 35. What a tragedy.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 2:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Calgary, Winnipeg and Toronto are all a solid B or above (although Winnipeg's off season hasn't been nearly as productive as Calgary and Toronto's). Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal are all D or F.
How so. Winnipeg has signed everyone that matters? Losing a rental player isn’t a big deal. Hence why they are rentals.
All our big names are signed. Even dumbass Trouba is signed now.

So since they jets were at the top of the nhl all season without rental boy. And since we got rid of loser boy Enstrom and Mason. We are a solid A.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 4:32 PM

Linden “quits” as Canucks president.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post

So since they jets were at the top of the nhl all season without rental boy. And since we got rid of loser boy Enstrom and Mason. We are a solid A.

According to https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/power-rankings oddshark.com you are 12th out of the 31 teams which would give you a solid -C 65% at a Canadian University.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
According to https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/power-rankings oddshark.com you are 12th out of the 31 teams which would give you a solid -C 65% at a Canadian University.
Yet we locked all our players up now lol. Kinda the same group that said the oilers were winning the cup and last years jets would be in last place. Yup. I hold a lot of faith in them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada