HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 6:35 PM

At 586' 8" tall, One World Trade Center is now taller than the 577' tall One World Financial Center!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 6:59 PM
Astorian

Well you can't really tell if there is plastic on the glass or not haha. We'll just have to wait and see.

But if you all think it possibly could be my camera, it is near to Christmas, I would love a new camera, wanna chip in and buy me one?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:19 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Happy Thanksgiving, NY Guy! You too, Dac150, Lecom, and all of the commenters I've read & responded to over the years. Seems like we lost some along the way... JMGarcia, where ya at, guy? Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:16 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Rise of Freedom: Reflecting Absence

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/rise-o...dom/index.html

i think this weekend they will probably talk about the glass...
Please look carefully at the picture in this video at time index 1:48. The old 7 WTC is clearly visible. Why did Fox news "doctor" an old photo to digitally remove the old WTC 1 and 2 and forget to remove 7 WTC? Could they not have found a picture post 9/11 without resorting to fakery?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 10:34 PM

Hey guys this is my very first post and I figured what better thread to do it on then One World Trade. First of all I just want to wish every american on here a happy thanksgiving. I live in canada and I sure could use that 4 day weekend right about now haha. Secondly of all im going to New York on january 13th-16th and I am very excited to see this beauty in person, which leads me to my question: around the middle of January when I will be in the city, do you guys think the building might be around 700 ft by then? It seems plausible to me, but I would like some second opinions and predictions.

Thanks

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 10:39 PM

Sorry guys I just saw a previous post stating that the building is now 586 ft. Now 700 ft seems a little unlikely, even give the amazingly fats current rate. So let me change the question: maybe 650 ft? It will be nice to see it getting so close in height to goldman sachs and 7 WTC

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Please look carefully at the picture in this video at time index 1:48. The old 7 WTC is clearly visible. Why did Fox news "doctor" an old photo to digitally remove the old WTC 1 and 2 and forget to remove 7 WTC? Could they not have found a picture post 9/11 without resorting to fakery?
That is clearly the new 7WTC seen in that picture (not the old one). Notice how it's taller and thinner than the old 7WTC seen in the previous photo with the Twin Towers. I've been to and inside of the new 7WTC many times and I can tell you without question that it's the new 7WTC. You can also tell just by looking at the shape of the 7WTC. This isn't a forum for conspiracy theories anyway.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
Sorry guys I just saw a previous post stating that the building is now 586 ft. Now 700 ft seems a little unlikely, even give the amazingly fats current rate. So let me change the question: maybe 650 ft? It will be nice to see it getting so close in height to goldman sachs and 7 WTC
If you want a very reliable prediction of what height the building will be on a certain date, just remember the fact that the building grows in height 2 floors every two weeks. Each floor is 13' 4". And so just calculate the number of weeks between now and the given date, multiply that number by 13.33 feet, and add that number on top of its current height of 587 feet.

For example, by the end of this year 2010, the building will be about 640' tall. It will surpass 7WTC and Goldman Sachs in the third week of February. On 9/11/11, the building will be 1,120 feet tall. And if the rate goes at exactly a floor a week until completion, the building will top out in the first or second week of January 2012.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 11:58 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens44 View Post
That is clearly the new 7WTC seen in that picture (not the old one). Notice how it's taller and thinner than the old 7WTC seen in the previous photo with the Twin Towers. I've been to and inside of the new 7WTC many times and I can tell you without question that it's the new 7WTC. You can also tell just by looking at the shape of the 7WTC. This isn't a forum for conspiracy theories anyway.
I see the new hotel and the fact that the Deutsche Bank Building is also gone, so I will admit it must be a new image but 7WTC looked too wide to my eye, however I will defer to your self-professed expertise.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 12:08 AM
Megastructure

Video Link

1WTC makes an appearance with Kanye West on the "Big Apple" float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 1:18 AM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I see the new hotel and the fact that the Deutsche Bank Building is also gone, so I will admit it must be a new image but 7WTC looked too wide to my eye, however I will defer to your self-professed expertise.
Why does this matter?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 3:04 AM

I believe that because of the work that STR is putting into the models its my opinion that this is the highest quality thread of any building built yet. The Burj, bank of america, shard, beekman, nothing else has had a thread with this much quality material in it. Thank you STR and everyone else who contributes.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
After looking at the pics that NYCLuver posted (great pics BTW!) I am of the opinion that there is a plastic film on the glass.

I think we should be a bit more patient and hold off on final judgment until we are sure we are looking at the final product.

Notice the near mirror quality reflections in the glass of the testing mock up.
I agree with you, the color of the mock up is a little less blue than whats on there now and the glass here has 0 distortions.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 3:35 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^The color of glazed glass is influenced more by angle and the surroundings that by the coatings themselves. That's a late evening shot, so of course the color will be warmer.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 3:57 AM

The MEMO Blog
November 25, 2010

Video: The Rise of Freedom - Inside Look at 1 World Trade Center

©2010 National September 11 Memorial & Museum

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss-ton View Post
I agree with you, the color of the mock up is a little less blue than whats on there now and the glass here has 0 distortions.
That's originally the color I figured the cladding was going to give off, a light blueish/green. That shot looks more like what they were originally aiming for than the stuff going up does. But it's important to remember the renderings have sort of changed over time. The original rendering made the cladding look very light and very reflective, but the latest renders seems to suggest the cladding being a much darker blue and possibly having distortion at certain angles. It's possible something in the design changed over time for one reason or another, the people that made these renders were obviously not looking at the same pieces of cladding.

Old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn18g...eature=related

New:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIrMu...eature=related

Any sort of plastic film over the top seems highly unlikely to me.

Last edited by Onn; Nov 26, 2010 at 6:09 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 6:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Happy Thanksgiving, NY Guy! You too, Dac150, Lecom, and all of the commenters I've read & responded to over the years. Seems like we lost some along the way... JMGarcia, where ya at, guy? Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone as well. It's time for the annual Freedom Tower float appearance, but I see someone has already posted a clip...

ArtistsApproach

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 6:43 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
That's originally the color I figured the cladding was going to give off, a light blueish/green. That shot looks more like what they were originally aiming for than the stuff going up does. But it's important to remember the renderings have sort of changed over time. The original rendering made the cladding look very light and very reflective, but the latest renders seems to suggest the cladding being a much darker blue and possibly having distortion at certain angles. It's possible something in the design changed over time for one reason or another, the people that made these renders were obviously not looking at the same pieces of cladding.
It was always supposed to resemble the glass on 7WTC, on ALL of the buildings, aside from a few special coatings used in small parts of 2 & 4. As for renders, it is INSANELY hard to get glass right in a virtual setting, so never, ever take them as anything other than rough attempts, mine included.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
It was always supposed to resemble the glass on 7WTC, on ALL of the buildings, aside from a few special coatings used in small parts of 2 & 4. As for renders, it is INSANELY hard to get glass right in a virtual setting, so never, ever take them as anything other than rough attempts, mine included.
Well I'm talking about since we've seen the mock cladding for 1WTC, obviously the original plan for the towers is no longer in play after Silverstein brought in the starchitects to design. And although getting the glass right in any render is always hard, you would assume later renders would be more accurate in portrayal than earlier renders. So far that seems to be proving true (baring no secret protective film over the cladding).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 7:13 AM
Because I'm Clever!

No, even with all the chefs in the kitchen, part of keeping things cohesive was keeping the materials common across all four buildings, with each architect having his own take on it. The only one that really deviated was Foster, with his original idea of a gradient ranging from the darker glass used in the notches to the common glass of the other buildings and that was cut.

And you're clearly not listening when I tell you renders are NOT a good guide of a final product. You aren't familiar with the process or the tools. You have no idea. I can have a piece of the stuff sitting right in front of me and can still get it completely wrong. Look at the completed projects section and tell me how many renders were spot on. I can recall maybe 2, and those guys have access to more specialized tools than I do, and have had actual training.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive