HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 4:49 AM

My friend works at the factory shoe at the intersection of Southdale and Wharncliffe. From what he told me, the Mr. Sub will be replaced with a dollar store, his store is getting an expansion for carts, and the party place is also leaving the plaza.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 6:54 AM

Walmarts and other big boxes are not the way to make productive use of land when there are so many empty and hollowed out spaces to begin with. That sai, this won't make a hoot of difference to Downtown London.

Downtown has been smart in not trying to attract a big department store or big box. After the fall of Eaton's the city knew that the downtown will never be able to compete with the lower cost, free parking big box stores. It has created a niche. No one goes downtown to save money but rather to find things they can't find anywhere else and for a shopping/dining/entertainment experience. Similarly it won't make any difference to Richmond Row, Wortley Village, or Old East for the exact same reasons.

What this big boxes do is hurt the existing malls like White Oaks/Westmount as they tend to be more expensive to higher rents. It creates one time construction jobs but over the long term there is only so much money to go around and usually it's the malls that pay the price. This is happening all over NA and is not at all unique to London.

On another point..........what's going on with the old Mews site and what about the new Fullerton high rise, any updates?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 12:54 PM

^There is not much going on with the former Mews site at this time as they said it be 2015 before any details are released. In the December 2014 issue of Business London magazine it lists most major real estate transactions and in this issue it shows that Rygar has purchased the Fullurton and Ridout land they need for their building(s). This was supposed to be under construction by now, but at least it's progressing.

London could look a lot different in 2-3 years or it could look exactly the same.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
^There is not much going on with the former Mews site at this time as they said it be 2015 before any details are released. In the December 2014 issue of Business London magazine it lists most major real estate transactions and in this issue it shows that Rygar has purchased the Fullurton and Ridout land they need for their building(s). This was supposed to be under construction by now, but at least it's progressing.

London could look a lot different in 2-3 years or it could look exactly the same.
Wow - another big development announcement where the proponent didn't own all of the land required. The proponent's planning report gives the distinct impression that they owned both parcels at that time a year ago. The media reports were the same. Shades of Fincore.....

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 2:07 AM

^Maybe, but at least they now own it, something Fincore probably had no intention of doing. Also, the fact that Rygar has detailed drawings of their plan from a respected planning firm (Zelinka-Priamo) tells me this is legit. The market might not be able to absorb all these new residential towers, but let's hope some get built.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 4:55 PM

Sorta odd that the former Mews site would have been divided, considering it was all one property before being torn down, and has been a surface Impark parking lot since then..

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 3:25 AM
Sanity merchant

Sky’s the limit for new tower

They placed bets on London's SoHo, but none bigger than new plans to build a curved tower that will soar skyward and carry the hopes of a community.

Slavko Prtenjaca and Patrick Ambrogio have invested in the London district, the area from Horton St. to the south, since the late 1970s, buying more than two dozen properties, most notably the old steam-rail turntable, the Roundhouse, which they faithfully restored to become a hub for digital high-techs.

The Roundhouse is a stepping stone to higher aspirations to build a mixed-use tower that borrows its shape from the round rail hub and could be as high as 25 stories.

"We're proposing something that's striking, innovative, modern -- something you might find in New York, Chicago or Toronto," said Prtenjaca, who partners with Ambrogio at Creative Property Developments.

Potential tenants have already expressed an interest, talks are underway with investors and Prtenjaca and Ambrogio have discussed their vision with planners at city hall.

"I asked (city officials) how high and they said, "How high can you go?"" Prtenjaca said on the weekend.

Preliminary plans call for a tower between 15 and 25 storeys, with ground-floor retail, one or two floors of office above and the rest residential space.

The building would be located south of Bathurst St. on the east side of Waterloo St., with a curved facade facing south, its shape inspired by the Roundhouse.

Investors and potential tenants are intrigued because the location offers the benefits of downtown without some of the headaches.

"It's downtown without the parking," Prtenjaca told The Free Press.

The two partners, who went to high school together in London, want a third partner, too -- the city itself.

They want city hall to waive development charges that cover the costs of providing services like sewers and turn lanes for new development.

City hall waives such charges for development downtown and residential development in the Old East Village -- taxpayers foot the bill instead.

That policy, an incentive to encourage development, is under review with advocates in SoHo asking for an exemption, too.

It would be a great investment, said Ambrogio, for a building that would serve as a landmark, provide property-tax revenue to the city and fuel improvements both in SoHo and downtown.

""Inspiring" is the word I hear from people (of the plans)," he said.

Ambrogio has little doubt their vision of a tower will come to be. "To me, it's inevitable," he said.

That’s an exciting prospect for the practically brand-new head of the SoHo Community Association, Cheri McLeod. Told of the plans, she could hardly contain her enthusiasm.

"(Prtenjaca and Ambrogio) have a real love of architecture and really honouring the area (with their work). I'm really excited to see what will happen," McLeod said.

The two partners will unveil more of their vision Monday and will announce a new tenant soon who will come to the development as it expands beyond the Roundhouse itself.

The rebuild of the Roundhouse is proving so successful, tenant rTraction is taking over all the space from a subtenant so it has room to expand.

"We're making a major announcement Monday,” said Roger Caranci, a spokesperson for Creative Property Developments.

The work along the north of SoHo comes as the city seeks proposals to develop coveted lands overlooking the Thames River, a potential book-ending of high-end developments.

The lands along the riverbank were freed up by the demolition of the South Street hospital.

"I keep telling people -- buy houses in SoHo now," McLeod said.

--- --- ---

SOHO TOWER

Where: Bathurst and Waterloo streets, London

Height: Early plans call for 15 to 25 storeys

Makeup: Mix of retail, office and residential

Look: One side curved with an innovate design that developers say would make it a landmark

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 1:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

a bit of a peripheral location, but I hope it goes through to encourage refurbishment of the environs.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 2:00 PM

I would agree that it’s a bit peripheral, but it wouldn’t be at all if there was a foot crossing at the tracks on Waterloo. In that case, it would be an extremely quick walk into downtown.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 2:58 PM

Good news and even better than they are talking design. Most proposals in London in the past 15-20 years are not even mentioning design, let alone say they are focusing on great design.

So the future projects that are now on the table/being discussed are...

1) 100 Fullarton/Rygar - 33 floors, residential, potentially another tower
2) Former Mews/Danford - 2-3 towers ranging from 8-25 floors, mixed use
3) 50 King/Health Unit - 25-30 floors, residential
4) Round House/Creative Properties - 15-25 floors, mixed use

Which ones will get built and which ones are just fairy tales? I think the Danford Development is the most legit as it involves a developer that has built buildings in London and now owns the land he is planning on building on. I can't imagine all these towers going up, but it would have a great impact on the skyline for sure.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 6:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I hope that at least 2/4 go forward, but the cynic in me expects that only one may go forth, although in the long run, other uses will be made for the unbuilt-project sites. I really want to see the first on the list go forth. Would radically change the London skyline from the perspective of those facing east (I live in Hyde Park, so this is the view I see....which is probably still the best vantage point albeit marred by the disaster that is the London Courthouse).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 9:13 PM

Ok, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but this proposal looks similar to some of the Farhi proposals and that other SOHO proposal. There is no real architechural drawings, just something that you could copy and paste from SimCity. I'm not saying it won't ever happen, but it really lacks detail. Because the market will only be able to bear 1-2 of these proposals, this might fall into the pipe dream category.

Just found this quote from the builder on Blackburn News website...."We’re hoping it will get started somehwere in the order of 5 years from now,” notes Pretenjaca. “We’re actually working on site plans and we’re meeting with city officials… It will offer people a place to work and live in, by virute of having a highrise.”

I personally am planning a news conference tomorrow so I can release drawings of a tower I plan to build 15-20 years out.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Which ones will get built and which ones are just fairy tales?...
1) 100 Fullarton/Rygar - 33 floors, residential, potentially another tower
2) Former Mews/Danford - 2-3 towers ranging from 8-25 floors, mixed use
3) 50 King/Health Unit - 25-30 floors, residential
4) Round House/Creative Properties - 15-25 floors, mixed use
1) Should get the go ahead, don't see/hear of any opposition, just a matter of Rygar getting shovels in the ground and going. Awesome development if it goes ahead.

2) Another one that's waiting for the developer to get in action. This project IMO is the most interesting, seeing what type of mixed use it can attract to the area. As well what, if any, of the sealed underground Mews floors and parking it could potentially use for the development. Maybe the potential for a PATH system between it and Citi Plaza?

3) The NIMBY crowd, more specifically the tenants of the northern Renaissance tower, are already getting ready to fight this as they claim all visual rights to the folks of the Thames. While the previous council, especially Old Dirty Bastard Bud Polhill, seemed to have a hidden agenda for it opposing it, hopefully our new council sees the value and potential it could have. Will be a test to see how council handles this proposed development.

4) Interesting idea, not sure if it's close to being a reality. Bathurst St. in general is one of the most vacant, underdeveloped streets in the core area. There's lots of potential for the whole street if a project like this goes ahead and is a success.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 11:59 PM
bro

Smile

This isn't the first time I've heard about underground floors at the Mews site, but I've always found it incredibly hard to believe. Would really like to know if there's any substance to that rumour.

Sincerely hoping that the NIMBY crowd surrounding the 50 King proposal gets shot down. The top complaints I've seen coming from that group: loss of views, increased traffic and dog piss on the courthouse lawn. Complete NIMBY bullshit on all counts. These people are putting their own interests before 300,000 other people.

While the dog piss and sunset views are outright silly, the traffic complaint is the one that actually bothers me. You live downtown, guys. Get over it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 1:15 AM

It will be interesting whenever construction begins on the former Mews site to hear what the situation is! The underground foundation is still there, there's no doubt of that. It's really what state the underground levels are in, whether they can be restored?

It's not as though the lower levels were filled in with concrete, to never be used again. The Mews was a financial blackhole, there was barely enough money to demolish it. It in some ways the Mews foundation similar to One London Place, in that the foundation for a second tower was done when they built the first one. They know it's going to be used, someday..

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 10:52 AM

In that video the reporter asking questions states that there are 45 high rise proposals for downtown London. Did anyone else catch that??

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 1:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Ok, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but this proposal looks similar to some of the Farhi proposals and that other SOHO proposal. There is no real architechural drawings, just something that you could copy and paste from SimCity. I'm not saying it won't ever happen, but it really lacks detail. Because the market will only be able to bear 1-2 of these proposals, this might fall into the pipe dream category.

Just found this quote from the builder on Blackburn News website...."We’re hoping it will get started somehwere in the order of 5 years from now,” notes Pretenjaca. “We’re actually working on site plans and we’re meeting with city officials… It will offer people a place to work and live in, by virute of having a highrise.”

I personally am planning a news conference tomorrow so I can release drawings of a tower I plan to build 15-20 years out.
Yeah, this is clearly very far from being a serious proposal.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
In that video the reporter asking questions states that there are 45 high rise proposals for downtown London. Did anyone else catch that??
I believe he "4 or 5". Kinda sounded like "45".

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 7:24 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new medical building going up on the corner of Ernest/Southdale. But I guess it's nothing really exciting, it does look pretty nice though.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 1:28 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new medical building going up on the corner of Ernest/Southdale. But I guess it's nothing really exciting, it does look pretty nice though.
I really didn't think there was much to it, but then I drove by it today. It's actually looks really nice!

It's likely on par with the new Shoppers/infill development on Richmond Street at Carling downtown (next to Moxies). Did not expect aesthetics like this way out there!

My Simcity Stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates