HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 6:33 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I can calculate an average attendance some time tonight/tomorrow.

Edit - Averages calculated!

Halifax holds the title of highest attendance so far this season when they drew 4,538.
Looks like attendance is down from last year and that London is the only market outside of the Maritimes with decent support. It is worrying to see Halifax attendance below 3,000 though.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Looks like attendance is down from last year and that London is the only market outside of the Maritimes with decent support. It is worrying to see Halifax attendance below 3,000 though.
The Rainmen are having a relatively disappointing season this year and they are competing with the hottest major junior hockey team in the country. This might explain the attendance figures....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:20 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
If I can find attendance figures from last year i'll do them as well to provide some context. I think Halifax drawing 2.5K a match is decent in its own right. I'm sure the league would like averages around 3/4K right now but to have five teams above 1.5K isn't something to snuff at.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 8:28 PM
ハルウララ

Average Home Attendances
2011-2012 Regular Season

Halifax - 3,274
Summerside - 2,489
London - 2,474
Saint John - 2,013
Moncton - 1,362
Oshawa - 1,122
Quebec - 958

2012 Playoffs
London - 3,442 (4 Games)
Halifax - 3,150 (4 Games)
Saint John - 2,117 (1 Game)
Quebec - 963 (1 Game)

Average Home Attendances
2012-2013 Regular Season
As of: January 20th, 2013

Halifax - 2,679
London - 2,331
Summerside - 1,980
Saint John - 1,913
Moncton - 1,638
Windsor - 635
Montreal - 488
Oshawa - 420

2011-2012: 1,956
2012-2013: 1,511 (to date)

11-12 Note: Quebec played two games outside of the PEPs Centre in which they drew over 3,000 both games.
11-12 Note: Oshawa had two games over 5,000 and the rest were lower, skewing their average.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 8:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, Moncton is the only city where attendance is higher than last year, that's a little disconcerting....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 9:18 PM
ハルウララ

Saint John and London have only had drops of 100 each and the season is still ongoing. Halifax' 600 average drop is what is really disconcerting.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 5:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Decent crowd out last night for the Miracles game against London Lightning. There was over 2,200 at the coliseum.

The Miracles only lost by a single point (77-76) in an apparently very defensive game against the league powerhouse.

Unfortunately I couldn't go, I was working......

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 5:54 PM

is there coverage of the games at all?? trying to find something on TSN but so far no luck.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 5:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
is there coverage of the games at all?? trying to find something on TSN but so far no luck.
It's on Roger's cable.

The league has been pitching to TSN but the network isn't interested (yet), they think that the NBL is too "regional" at present to generate a national audience......

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Saint John and London have only had drops of 100 each and the season is still ongoing. Halifax' 600 average drop is what is really disconcerting.
Attendance in Saint John has been considerably higher the last few weeks.. I would expect them to end up averaging more than last season.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 7:49 PM

yes I agree it is a small market for broadcasting a complete game, but is there even a blurp on scores or anything??

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 8:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
yes I agree it is a small market for broadcasting a complete game, but is there even a blurp on scores or anything??
There's nothing at all. Basketball in Canada is Raptors and University coverage.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 1:21 AM

The NBL announced their All-Star Weekend for April 13-14 which will include an All-Star Game, Legends game, 3-Point content, and Slam Dunk competition.

Saint John will host the second Annual Event.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Miracles lost to the Mill Rats last night 114-108.

A disappointing result for a team fighting for a playoff birth. It was really a must-win scenario for the Miracles. They are playing the Rainmen tonight in Halifax. If they lose that game too, I think it will kill the Miracles season....

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Miracles lost to the Mill Rats last night 114-108.

A disappointing result for a team fighting for a playoff birth. It was really a must-win scenario for the Miracles. They are playing the Rainmen tonight in Halifax. If they lose that game too, I think it will kill the Miracles season....
There has been significant grumbling around the league around officiating in Moncton, and after watching last night's game I can say that I see why. Moncton also imploded towards the end and got very chippy. At least one player should have been ejected on an intentional and very nasty tackle that resulted in Kenny Jones of Saint John being injured.

That being said, the Miracles have had a decent season based on the talent on the roster. Other than Sweetney, there is a real lack of scoring ability. Hard work and rebounding has kept them in games.

As you mention, it will be a tough road for the Miracles to make the playoffs with games remaining against both London and Summerside, but its still possible.

With the win Saint John moves into sole possession of second place and Moncotn remains in last place. Anthony Anderson of Saint John had 43 last night, great game!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
There has been significant grumbling around the league around officiating in Moncton, and after watching last night's game I can say that I see why. Moncton also imploded towards the end and got very chippy. At least one player should have been ejected on an intentional and very nasty tackle that resulted in Kenny Jones of Saint John being injured.

That being said, the Miracles have had a decent season based on the talent on the roster. Other than Sweetney, there is a real lack of scoring ability. Hard work and rebounding has kept them in games.

As you mention, it will be a tough road for the Miracles to make the playoffs with games remaining against both London and Summerside, but its still possible.

With the win Saint John moves into sole possession of second place and Moncotn remains in last place. Anthony Anderson of Saint John had 43 last night, great game!
The officiating last night was horrendous...I could see why there have been complaints. I don't think I've watched a basketball game with that many free throws...it really took away from an otherwise hard fought, close game.

Would really hate to see the NBL not be successful because it really is good basketball.

JL

PS>TSN (Toronto Sports Network) focuses on the GTA first and moves outward from there...it's sad to see how Toronto centric they've become. God they cover another sport, or even other teams that don't have anything to do with Toronto and they still somehow manage to talk about the Leafs or the Raptors several times in one broadcast!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Moncton Miracles defeated the Windsor Express tonight by a score of 111-100.

This is their third win in a row and boosts their record to 18-20. They remain in the fight for the final playoff spot. They play the Halifax Rainmen at home on Monday. If they win that game, then they will have a real chance of prolonging the season.

This is quite a turnaround! Just two weeks ago they had a 15-20 record and seemed to be out of it. The team promised the fans they would do whatever they could to make the playoffs and it seems that they are living up to that promise.....

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Moncton Miracles handily defeated the Halifax Rainmen by a score of 99-84 tonight, to extend their end of season winning streak to four games. We have one game remaining against Montreal, and if we win (which we should) then we will finish the season with a 20-20 record for a .500 winning percentage. This will keep us in the hunt for a playoff spot until the very end.

An excellent effort by the whole team tonight. At one point in the third period we sunk five straight three pointers.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Moncton Miracles handily defeated the Halifax Rainmen by a score of 99-84 tonight, to extend their end of season winning streak to four games. We have one game remaining against Montreal, and if we win (which we should) then we will finish the season with a 20-20 record for a .500 winning percentage. This will keep us in the hunt for a playoff spot until the very end.

An excellent effort by the whole team tonight. At one point in the third period we sunk five straight three pointers.
Moncton should easily handle Montreal in their final game and has indeed given themselves a shot at making the playoffs. They will still need some help from others but there is a reasonable chance they could be the fifth playoff team.

It really is a shame that this league has not managed to catch more National attention, it is exciting and entertaining to watch.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Moncton should easily handle Montreal in their final game and has indeed given themselves a shot at making the playoffs. They will still need some help from others but there is a reasonable chance they could be the fifth playoff team.

It really is a shame that this league has not managed to catch more National attention, it is exciting and entertaining to watch.
Largest crowd in franchise history watched the game against Halifax, nearly 2,500. Great atmosphere.

It would appear to be a three way horserace for the final playoff spot between Moncton, Saint John and Halifax. The team most vulnerable to be displaced by Moncton is Halifax. They will need at least 21 victories to qualify. If there is a tie, Moncton will nab the final playoff spot as the season record between the two clubs is 6-2 in Moncton's favour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces