HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:43 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Be careful of those poll results:

1. It is a CRA/Don Mills poll. He is the arch-enemy of Kelly, pondered his own run for mayor, and was behind the anti-Kelly movement last time.
2. He is a Mike Savage supporter and attended the campaign launch.
3. The poll was taken the day after the campaign launch.

I don't doubt that this time Kelly has some real opposition. I would rather have polls from other sources than CRA though.
Thanks for the information, that puts the results in a different light.

Can someone explain why Mike Savage is being supported by several NDP'ers? Is it so he won't run against NDP'er Robert Chisholm in the next federal election?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Can someone explain why Mike Savage is being supported by several NDP'ers? Is it so he won't run against NDP'er Robert Chisholm in the next federal election?
I assumed they supported him so they would not be forced to support Kommissar Howard Epstein.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
That said, I do think Kelly's support is at an all time low, but nine months is a lifetime in politics.
If Kelly has lost trust, I don't see how he can recover. The story from the Coast is particularly damning. Whatever opinions one has of Bousquet the story seems to be nothing but facts from the probate court - public documents. I mean at the least Kelly has utterly failed to settle the will, and at worst there is the problem of $145,000 under dispute and the offer from Kelly to give it back if a confidentiality agreement is signed! How do you push that under the table? Just think of the optics: $145,000 moved by Kelly into his own account. That's all you need to hear and it sounds horrible. If he did have a proper reason for having done this he isn't saying anything, and whatever his reasons might have been the headline number of $145,000 punches so much harder. And there's a confidentiality agreement thrown into the settlement - that screams he's hiding something. This issue is sure to come up again as the campaigns get rolling, and Kelly isn't exactly a strong debater who's good at damage control.

The poll results need to be taken with a grain of salt given their origin, but if people are starting to put all the questionable decisions together and deciding they don't trust Peter Kelly he's toast. Nine days, nine weeks, nine months, it doesn't matter - he can't rebuild if he's lost the public trust. If.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:00 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Thanks for the information, that puts the results in a different light.

I am quite left-leaning myself (I support the NDP) and think there could be a few reasons:
  1. He is a legitimate opponent to Peter Kelly, who is strongly disliked by many who support the party.
  2. He seems to have more of an urban focus than Peter Kelly.
  3. Alexa McDonough, the former leader of the federal NDP, has supported him.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 10:33 PM

In municipal politics it's not uncommon to see members of one federal or provincial party support a member of another party. A lot of the issues that may divide them in the House of Commons don't really come in to play municipally.

In the 2010 Toronto mayoral election George Smitherman, the former deputy premier of Dalton McGuinty's Liberal government, had a large number of endorsements from Progressive Conservatives, which he used to try and beat conservative Rob Ford.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:40 AM

Things aren't looking good for Peter, the Chronicle Herald has picked up the will story. Maybe he won't even both running again?

Quote:
Questions over will dog Halifax mayor
February 20, 2012 - 9:28pm BY LAURA FRASER CITY HALL REPORTER

Peter Kelly faces allegations over how he handled Bedford woman's estate

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/6...-halifax-mayor

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 2:04 AM
Honored Member

This is in the Chronicle Herald story: (source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/6...-halifax-mayor)

Quote:
But Thibeault’s cousin, Helen Day, said in an interview Monday she believes the Bedford woman planned to give the money to Kelly as a gift outside the will. Thibeault had a fractious relationship with many of those named in her estate, Day said, and she may have worried they would contest the will if she left the bulk of her assets to Kelly.

At the funeral, Kelly distributed the will among the beneficiaries, Day said. Her sister, Cathy Ivany, is named and Day said the pair were surprised Kelly had not received more than the others named.

He told the sisters that Thibeault had given him a gift for his children’s education, Day said, and she believed him.

“I wish I could say that Mary told me she was doing this (gift outside the will) but I can’t,” Day said. “But there is no question in my mind that she meant for Peter to have the bulk. Peter was like a son to Mary and his children were like her grandchildren.

“Mary would be turning in her grave if she knew about what was happening to him right now.”

I do not know that real details of this story, however, it seems that the Chronicle Herald story is not as "one-sided" as The Coast story.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:36 PM

CBC just announced that Peter Kelly is not running for re-election!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...lly-mayor.html

Last edited by hollistreet; Feb 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM. Reason: Link added

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:22 PM
BANNED

^ HAa! hahahaah

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:38 PM

From Peter Kelly's Facebook :

Peter Kelly
February 22, 2012) Halifax – Mayor Peter Kelly announced today that he will not be seeking re-election this October.

“I feel that, after 27 years of public service, I have made my contribution to the good of the community to the very best of my ability and it is time to seek new horizons,” he said.

Mayor Kelly said that he intends to complete his term.

“It has been a great privilege to be mayor of HRM and I will carry with me forever the spirit of goodwill that citizens have always shown me. They have been my constant guide and inspiration. The residents were always the best part of this job and I thank them from the bottom of my heart for their advice, their support and also for their forgiveness when I have made mistakes, and I have made my fair share!.”

Mayor Kelly, 55, said he made his decision not to reoffer on Tuesday, after taking some personal time to reflect and to consult with his family.

“Being mayor has come with a cost,” he said. “Working more than 90 hours a week has taken its toll. My marriage has ended and it has been a strain on my family. I have always put the wellbeing of the municipality first but now it is time to give my family priority. I know that everyone will understand and respect my decision.”

Mayor Kelly said it would not be easy to walk away after so many years in office but that he felt it was time to move on.

“I have always had the best interests of the community at heart and have been committed to making HRM the best place in Canada to live, work, learn and play.”

Mayor Kelly acknowledged that there had been stumbles along the way, not least being

the issue of his duties as executor to the estate of his late friend, Mary Thibeault.

“I am not making any excuses. Whatever problems have arisen have been because of my own tardiness and I am in the process of fulfilling her instructions,” he said. “Everything is accounted for and will be distributed according to her wishes.”

1-902-490-4010

For the benefit of those HRM Employees who may not have access to GroupWise, please post these notices on a bulletin board nearest you.

Looks like its all Savage

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder if this means that a bunch of people will now join the race?

It's going to be an interesting municipal election cycle for sure!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:39 PM

I was not expecting that!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:44 PM

I am happy to know that we will see a new face in office this fall.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:13 PM

So who do we want in office thats pro development fellas?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:20 PM

Are there any other conservatives who may run with Kelly out?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:33 PM
ハルウララ

Not surprising considering all the flak the man has received over the years. I'd be tired of that, too.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 10:00 PM
BANNED

Everyone ready for some Savage?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 11:12 PM
Honored Member

I think Halifax will be losing a good Mayor. However, considering the toll that the mayoral position is taking on Mayor Kelly's health and family it seems like a good time to take an extended break (after the end of his term in October).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:44 AM

I think this is good news for Halifax. It was definitely time for a change and this early announcement means that the race is potentially open for the taking. Might make for a more forward looking campaign. Without Kelly, the pressure to rally behind Savage is off and Savage will have to convince people to vote for him rather than being able to bank strongly on anti-kelly votes. It will be interesting is to see who steps forward now. Steve Adams said on CTV this evening that he's considering it. I don't think Epstein will change his mind, but look for David Boyd to rejoin the race Maybe the owner of the Wooden Monkey, Lil MacPherson, will reconsider too.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
It will be interesting is to see who steps forward now. Steve Adams said on CTV this evening that he's considering it. I don't think Epstein will change his mind, but look for David Boyd to rejoin the race Maybe the owner of the Wooden Monkey, Lil MacPherson, will reconsider too.
We need legitimate candidates, not more wingnuts like Boyd or left-wing loonies like MacPherson. Adams would have little chance given his record. It would certainly be nice to see someone with a strong business background offer though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy