HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 3:52 PM

The theory being floated here that auto malls are good because it draws off unattractive car lots to less visible locations - freeing up those locations for more useful and attractive land use is a good one, except for one detail: the part where a new developer purchases the former car lot and constructs something that is a more useful and attractive land use. That rarely actually happens - especially EOA.

In reality that new land use will far more likely be a used car lot run by some greasy shyster, or it is torn down and if lucky a fast food joint or strip mall built on it. The third possibility is that the land is contaminated because it was a garage for 50 or more years and no one will buy it. It that case it sits derelict, or is rented to said greasy used car salesman, or is torn down and sits as a weed-infested field for the foreseeable future. Recall the we are talking about EOA territory here. There isn't a big clamor to snap up any piece of available vacant land at any cost and get a high-value development on it.

I suppose there is a fourth option: There was a big-3 dealership at Wonderland and Oxford that closed up and was then purchased by a line of new car products known as Porsche. Perhaps a Lambo dealership could go in at Dundas and Highbury. All of the EOA denizens could then go shopping at Wal-Mart at Argyle, then stop by at Gibraltar for some pirate video cassettes of Chinese kung-fu movies, and then score a new Lambo on the way home. Convenience double plus good!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 5:35 PM
Sanity merchant

People need to stop shitting on those who live East of Adelaide...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
People need to stop shitting on those who live East of Adelaide...
No crap, certainly there are some areas "EAO" that are less than desirable however how is that any different than those same sketchy area's off Wharncliffe, etc??

My current home is "EAO" in the Spruce/Saskatoon area, we have amazing neighbors, everyone on the street keeps their homes well kept, etc. I could easily move to a more fancy cookie cut part of town but its just not what I look for in a home. I am quite happy putting all of the extra money my wife and I make into the bank vs having a $350,000 house.

Also sorry for the off topic

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
The theory being floated here that auto malls are good because it draws off unattractive car lots to less visible locations - freeing up those locations for more useful and attractive land use is a good one, except for one detail: the part where a new developer purchases the former car lot and constructs something that is a more useful and attractive land use. That rarely actually happens - especially EOA.
Here in Kingston, we had quite a few car dealerships in a not particularly attractive area that closed and were demolished. One of them was a Toyota dealership that closed only 3-4 years ago, and there is a new multipurpose commercial/residential development under construction on the site.

It can be done in London.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 2:09 AM
I am a typical

In Vancouver, the Porsche dealership is along the Skytrain line. I thought that was kind of interesting.

If London has any kind of retail demand, those spaces will be redeveloped pretty quickly, even if it is just as some form of retail. Every time a dealership has closed in Thunder Bay, it doesn't stand vacant for long, and I would assume that London is doing better than us by pretty much any measure. If the city was smart, they would try to use zoning or some sort of incentive to get mixed use development in the area.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:33 PM
Sanity merchant

Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
if the city was smart...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 8:09 PM
Sanity merchant

A small update. VW and London City Chrysler are now open there. Another two shops on the way, one I believe is MacMaster

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 8:16 PM

Is London a large enough market to justify having so many dealerships? It'll be better for creating some more competition though. I bought my car in Mississauga simply because I got a price $3,000 lower than here in London, simply due to there being so much competition between dealers in the GTA.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 9:05 PM
Sanity merchant

IMO, yes. However, they are horrible centered. That, with the sheer number of used car lots doesn't bode well. I think though, that this is a good step in the right direction.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 9:52 PM

Wonder what will become of the old dealership lots? Whether there's some future developments or they'll become the latest brownfields of London..

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 2:56 AM
Sanity merchant

Sigh, I live right near em, and they look like shit... I have a feeling they'll stay this way for a while. Hayatts just recently became a furniture place, and even that is sketchy to stay. It was empty for over a year.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:58 PM

London City property could easily become a restaurant, knock it down and build a Jack Asstors or Boston Pizza.

However I tend to agree that we will end up seeing most of them empty for years.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 5:28 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
Is London a large enough market to justify having so many dealerships? It'll be better for creating some more competition though. I bought my car in Mississauga simply because I got a price $3,000 lower than here in London, simply due to there being so much competition between dealers in the GTA.
The trick is not just competition between dealers per se, but also competition between dealers of the same manufacturer. When you have all the GM, Volvo, Subaru, Ford, whatever dealers desperately trying to move inventory, and competing against EACH OTHER to reduce costs and steal customers on the same products, you're going to get better deals.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
The trick is not just competition between dealers per se, but also competition between dealers of the same manufacturer. When you have all the GM, Volvo, Subaru, Ford, whatever dealers desperately trying to move inventory, and competing against EACH OTHER to reduce costs and steal customers on the same products, you're going to get better deals.
That's what I was refering to. I'm admittedly a bit surprised that Macmaster, Finch and Cullen GM can all coexist given city size. (on a side note, between Finch and Farhi it's hard to not see one of their last names in whichever direction you look )

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:11 PM
User Registered

I don't think Brian Finch sells GM vehicles anymore. The switched to Hundai or Subaru or something.

The Acura dealership on Wonderland service road (by Angelo's / Athletic Club) went through a major overhaul last year. They're pretty isolated as far as dealerships go. I thought they were demolishing the place and moving rather than completely rebuilding it.

Also its funny to think that GM only has 4 brands now (Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac and Buick) and because of that Chrysler has the more brands than anyone else (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, RAM, FIAT and SRT).

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:03 PM

Finch still does GM. Up on Wonderland and Oxford. He does almost all the major brands.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 11:02 PM
User Registered

Wait I was thinking about Dale Downie. Looks like they do Nissan now. http://www.daledownienissan.ca/index.htm

My Simcity Stuff

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates