HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 2:08 AM
Sanity merchant

Twin-tower, $58-million condo complex (proposed)

A twin-tower, $58-million condo complex is in the works for northwest London.

Neighbours are being told about the upscale project on Fansahwe Park Rd. W., near Wonderland Rd., planned by York Developments immediately west of Amica, a high-rise seniors’ residence.

A public hearing for the new towers will likely be held at city planning committee in February or March.

“We’re excited about the project,” York president Ali Soufan said Wednesday.

York is known mainly for its residential and commercial developments in the city’s southwest.

“We’ve been dabbling in the north end as much as we can but it’s really tough to find parcels of land that are desirable,” he said.

On the 1.4-hectare site, York plans to erect towers of 14 and 15 storeys and low-rise town homes (they’ll form a “podium,” or base) totalling 235 units.

Soufan estimates up to 120 people will be employed during construction, with the complex generating $900,000 a year in property taxes.

The proposed project is close to bus routes, shopping and other amenities along a major artery meant for such development.

If the project is approved, Soufan said construction could start June 1.

City planner Nicole Musicco said the application is complete and notices have been sent to surrounding property owners.

Coun. Matt Brown, whose ward takes in the lands, said a key question is whether the project is a good fit for the mixed-use area.

Brown said “striking the right balance” among land uses is key in such developments.

“At this stage as ward councillor, I am always in the listening mode,” he said.

Soufan said York also has plans for a commercial development northwest of Wonderland and Fanshawe Park Rd. W., but an appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board has delayed it.

“We’re close to a deal there,” he said.

York is trying to develop another apartment building at Sunningdale Rd. and Richmond St. but is finding that “a struggle,” he said.

The firm, Soufan said, has also built some condominiums in Arva.

--- --- ---

THE PROPOSAL

Where: 545 Fanshawe Park Rd. W. near Wonderland Rd.

Developer: York Developments.

Estimated cost: $58 million

Condo towers: 14 storeys; 15 storeys, two-storey townhomes at base

235: Total units

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 4:11 AM
Torontonian Refugee

So more towers in the park located way out in hell's half acre?

Nice developments, but nothing really new here.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 1:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

densification of the exurbs. better than nothing, but I'd much rather see these developments closer to the core. Who wants to live out there in a condo tower? I mean, there is nothing there, except a small strip plaza (No Frills + Shoppers Dog Fart, etc.).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
densification of the exurbs. better than nothing, but I'd much rather see these developments closer to the core. Who wants to live out there in a condo tower? I mean, there is nothing there, except a small strip plaza (No Frills + Shoppers Dog Fart, etc.).
I agree, I like the concept but just seems in the middle of no where.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 6:49 PM

It's better than bland sprawl and the design is decent. Anything that grows density will be good for transit.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 4:57 PM

I would suggest that this development is in part targeted at the upper half of the middle class (and above) empty nesters who currently live in the area and want to finally ditch the now-too-large house and downsize, but to a "nice place" because they won't accept just any old seniors apartment farm such as Cherryhill. In 10+ more years following that when they can no longer handle living unassisted, they once again move out of there and go right next door to the retirement home. This way they don't have to leave their area of town due to aging until it's time for a nursing home or Parkwood (and in some cases there is a nursing very close to the retirement home, and a hospital within a 5 or 10 minute drive of that).

I had to coordinate such moves for some of my own family members this year. You quickly learn that such placement of structures/facilities is rarely coincidental and a lot of strategic positioning is involved. Baby boomer amenities is where a lot of investment money is going now and in the future. Smart developers and investors always follow the money, and catering to this demographic is where an awful lot of it is in this country.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 10:26 PM

This proposed development hasn't progressed in any further in 2.5 years. In the meantime Old Oak has nearly finished the 1st of three 16s towers at Fanshawe and Hyde Park Rd.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 5:32 PM

Zoning changes were proposed as recently as June 2016 for this proposal. One 16s and one 17s tower.

http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...6/Z-8633na.pdf

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates