HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
The parking garages will at least have a cool design to them along with first floor lobbies/ retail..and also they will be adding much needed height to the buildings...isn't that more than enough to be happy about?
Not sure why everybody freaks out about parking garages we do after all live in 120 degree heat. Do they want everybody to take the bus or light rail?
Even in big cities with nice weather they still build a hell of a lot of parking garages and if they build them with some design and ground floor retail who at that point really gives a rip.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 3:00 AM

U of P Stadium still makes me sick. That would have been such an awesome location.

Jul 21, 2014, 3:24pm MST

Tempe Chamber worries FAA height rules will take big bite out of Town Lake, ASU development

Mike Sunnucks
Senior Reporter-
Phoenix Business Journal

The Tempe Chamber of Commerce worries proposed building height restrictions near airports could take a big bite out of development plans — and economic activity — at Tempe Town Lake and Arizona State University.
The Federal Aviation Administration is considering restrictions on building heights near airports across the U.S., including Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

Tempe Chamber President and CEO Mary Ann Miller has written John Speckin, the FAA administrator overseeing the possible regulations, asking the agency to dump the proposal. Tim Lawless, president of the NAIOP-AZ real estate industry group, has also recently written the FAA voicing developers concerns about the rules.

In her July 11 letter, Miller said the FAA rules could cut allowable building heights near ASU and Town Lake by 25 percent. She said there would be more high-density development in Tempe that could be impacted by airport height rules. ASU has also created a special development district near its Tempe campus with proceeds from those projects going to help renovate sports facilities.

Tempe, Phoenix — which owns Sky Harbor — and the FAA have had some past squabbles over building heights, including a failed plan to build what is now University of Phoenix Stadium on Salt River Project-owned land near the two cities’ border.

More recently, the 30-story West 6th apartment tower on Mill Avenue also created concerns with Sky Harbor and the FAA.

The FAA is considering the restrictions as it looks at flight paths near airports and giving planes more room to maneuver if they have engine problems.
Airlines worry that they will have to cut passenger and cargo loads in order to abide by FAA rules if there is development around airports.

The FAA rule would apply nationwide, but real estate and economic developers worry the Valley could feel the brunt because there are areas still not built out like in other cities, In addition, the warm summer weather requires planes to use more power at takeoff.

An FAA rule on airplane loads and power requirements during takeoff could have a bigger impact on Phoenix because of the Valley’s summer heat.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
The parking garages will at least have a cool design to them along with first floor lobbies/ retail..and also they will be adding much needed height to the buildings...isn't that more than enough to be happy about?
I was just pointing out the irony out of a developer who likely would've put the entire parking underground, but was unable to because of environmental/geographical factors; sigh.

Whether they add anything aesthetically to the project is in the eye of the beholder. With the "much needed height" comes a more heavy, boxy massing, that makes for a fortress-like impact and they turn the project into an island by abutting the developments on either side. Had they been able to design an office-only building, the ground level probably would've been more inviting on all 4 sides, and the more slender buildings would've allowed for a more open pedestrian circulation. Overall, I wish there was only one on the eastern side... if The Lofts get built, it'll look a little claustrophobic.

Anyway, I just wrote about how great the project was turning out - so, clearly there's much I am "happy about."

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Not sure why everybody freaks out about parking garages we do after all live in 120 degree heat. Do they want everybody to take the bus or light rail?
Even in big cities with nice weather they still build a hell of a lot of parking garages and if they build them with some design and ground floor retail who at that point really gives a rip.
Nobody is "freaking out" over parking garages. Yes, they are a fact of life in Phoenix due to the car-centric attitudes and developers will need to continue to include them.

I'm not sure where you are seeing well-designed structures with ground level retail, however, and that's why the preference is that they are built below-ground. Maybe start a thread of some of the best in the region if there are some less-obvious, but well-designed ones worth appreciating? There are many in California that are quite decent, but look right next to this project at HFL for an example of the typical AZ design.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Jul 22, 2014 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:58 PM

Culinary Dropout at Farmer Arts District: Fox Restaurant Concepts' Largest Project to Date

Quote:
We already told you that James Beard Award-nominated restaurant owner Sam Fox would be bringing his Culinary Dropout concept to a new project in Tempe. But now, the Arizona-based restaurant group is ready to release a few more details about their biggest project to date.
The Culinary Dropout at Farmer Arts District will be located at 149 West Farmer Avenue in Tempe and is just part of an effort to revitalize the area west of Mill Avenue. The plans for the massive new development include a Culinary Dropout restaurant, private dining space, live music venue, and other local businesses.

See also: Sam Fox to Open Culinary Dropout in Tempe, Along with a Concept Similar to The Yard

Fox Restaurant Concepts and development partner, Brian Frakes, plan to open the restaurant in October. Like The Yard in Phoenix, the approximately 14,757-square-foot space will include a large outdoor patio with yard games. The project will also include a private dining venue called The Showcase Room and other local businesses.

The Showcase Room alone will be able to serve up to 250 people with a separate entrance and its own bar. The 4,435-square-foot space will also be able to be divided into two smaller spaces, for use by smaller parties. There will also be a second private dining space called The Coop, which will be able to seat 86 guests.

As we previously reported, the development will also house a second branch of Phoenix's Madison Improvement Club. The Madison at Farmer Arts District will feature a "Party on a Bike" spin studio with 60 bikes and a state-of-the-art lighting and sound system. The 3,956-square-foot venue will schedule about seven classes a day during the week, and four classes a day on weekends. It's expected to be the first business to open in the venue later this fall.

The s.e.e.d. café -- also found at The Madison Improvement Club -- will offer prepackaged healthy and tasty to-go salads, juices, one to three day juice cleanses, house made energy bars and raw desserts. There will also be The Madison boutique, which will carry clothing and accessories, including private label pieces.

Finally, Culinary Dropout at Farmer Arts District has plans to build a stage and a 2,758 square foot outdoor lounge patio with an Outdoor Beer Cooler. As at The Yard, the outdoor game area will offer ping pong, corn hole, and other family-friendly games.

The complex will offer about 90 parking spaces and valet.

Construction on the warehouse space, which was originally built in the 1960s for Thorens Showcase and Fixtures, began in March. More details about the local businesses that will occupy the space will be announced soon.

Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:35 PM

So freaking excited for this!!! I love the one in Phoenix, and am glad there will now be one easily accessible by light rail.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
So freaking excited for this!!! I love the one in Phoenix, and am glad there will now be one easily accessible by light rail.
This is going to be SO successful for them. What a great location and setting.

Also, I moved from Phoenix to San Francisco a little over a month ago and seeing those pictures of Tempe Town Lake with all of those cranes is simply amazing in that short of a time period. Looks like something out of China. It will be unrecognizable to me when I go back to visit.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Yeah the one in Phoenix is fantastic! The only thing I wish could be improved (and from the rendering it seems like it is the same in this one) is the visibility from the street. I really like the wood fencing, but it would be awesome if there were some places where you could peek inside. I drove past the Phoenix version for months before I finally discovered what laid behind that fence. If I could have seen at least a glimpse of it, I would have for sure stopped and checked it out. I wish the Tempe location could create some areas where you can see through the fence, just to appear more welcoming. (I know that the Phoenix one also has such a barrier to shelter it a bit from the constant traffic on the other side, which is definitely not an issue on Farmer).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:12 AM

College Avenue is reopened. At least the street. Its nice but the street pavement itself really stands out from North / South. That sort of looks strange. The landscaping and what not is not finished.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Yeah the one in Phoenix is fantastic! The only thing I wish could be improved (and from the rendering it seems like it is the same in this one) is the visibility from the street. I really like the wood fencing, but it would be awesome if there were some places where you could peek inside. I drove past the Phoenix version for months before I finally discovered what laid behind that fence. If I could have seen at least a glimpse of it, I would have for sure stopped and checked it out. I wish the Tempe location could create some areas where you can see through the fence, just to appear more welcoming. (I know that the Phoenix one also has such a barrier to shelter it a bit from the constant traffic on the other side, which is definitely not an issue on Farmer).
Agreed - you can tell some effort was made by the wooden piece of the fence (that allows you to see inside vs. the solid corrugated metal part), but would've been nice for that to have started 1-2 feet lower; maybe the perspective is off, though, since I'm basing the height off the walking couple.

Also, I'd imagine most traffic will be coming from the opposite side (5th street for drivers) and will have parked and entered the building by this point. The only residents coming via 1st street would be those from the w Rio Salado housing (Regatta Pointe, new-name-for-Argo, etc.).

How much of the warehouse was torn down? From this rendering, obviously the northernmost part was (metal with garage door fronting Farmer, dormer-type windows facing north); did the demo work continue south of that? I hope not - I like all the various transitions and can see each business fitting in nicely. Assuming there is room in the street for sidewalks?

2 final questions:
1) Is the property north of 1st the one that Tempe went to court with over the owners for? I thought the City won? If so, it's too bad all parking couldn't be placed there instead of on the south end of the project.
2) Has anyone heard whether a pedestrian path will be completed on the very eastern portion of the project? I know Encore had to design one, as Tempe's goal for the Farmer Arts District was to have a contiguous pedestrian path from University to the lake.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 11:25 PM

230 W. 5th on the next DRC Agenda

The next agenda just came online for the next DRC!

26-story, 300ft for 230 W. 5th! No renderings posted yet. Probably in a week or two we'll get a link to the additional attachment.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26660

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:22 PM

Hfl3

I drove by Hayden Ferry Lakeside 3 this morning and there was a lot of action. I would expect a tower crane there pretty soon. I wish we had a construction camera to watch.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:34 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
The next agenda just came online for the next DRC!

26-story, 300ft for 230 W. 5th! No renderings posted yet. Probably in a week or two we'll get a link to the additional attachment.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=26660

Awesome. Cannot wait for the proposal renderings!
Correct me if I am wrong, but this location would not be affected if the FAA has their way, correct? It looks to be fairly South of the flight line.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Awesome. Cannot wait for the proposal renderings!
Correct me if I am wrong, but this location would not be affected if the FAA has their way, correct? It looks to be fairly South of the flight line.
I am not certain, but it seems they are trying to fast track this build before the rules take effect.

I think this would be more of a hazard than West 6th, as it is further North, thus closer to the south most runway/flight path.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 9:27 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I am not certain, but it seems they are trying to fast track this build before the rules take effect.

I think this would be more of a hazard than West 6th, as it is further North, thus closer to the south most runway/flight path.
Actually, I've always noticed the south runway flights come in over Marina Heights and the north runway flights over the future Grand at Papago. Do flights actually come in south of the Butte? Maybe I may need to pay more attention?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 11:49 PM

I wonder what part of planning projects need to be in order to be grandfathered around any FAA restrictions? I'd argue once the property owner invests in the design, they should be able to complete it.

Actually, it seems like the State or a property owner could sue the FAA due to Prop 207, no? For the FAA to diminish the value of these properties in such a way seems like a huge legal issue even without adding the interference with an established state law.

In the meantime, with Hanover and this building hopefully come to life along 5th, and it also serving as the main vehicular (and probably pedestrian) corridor for western neighborhoods into downtown, and those from the east entering the developments along Farmer, I wish something could be done with the 'smoke shop' building at 14 W 5th (all white brick), CenturyLink across the street, and Hayden Square Condos.

Hayden's ground level being used for parking is such odd construction, but replacing the corner bays with light retail would do do wonders at breaking up this huge stretch of blank anti-pedestrian elements. Modern paint job and signage on the first, along with a designed permeable pavement-added plaza on the current parking lot (customers can park in the back; employees at the new Hanover garage) for food carts and seating/landscape would help immensely. Meanwhile, I don't understand what goes on in these fortress CenturyLink buildings (see Adams/3rd Ave downtown for a similar one), but if real windows can't be added, even faux sets of windows (a la CityScape) with awnings would help break up 3-4 stories of concrete.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
IActually, it seems like the State or a property owner could sue the FAA due to Prop 207, no? For the FAA to diminish the value of these properties in such a way seems like a huge legal issue even without adding the interference with an established state law.
FAA regulations are not affected by AZ Prop. 207. The FAA is a Federal agency while Prop. 207 is a state law.

As such, Prop. 207 can only require the state to justly compensate the property owner when State regulations diminnish real property values. Prop. 207 cannot prevent the Federal government from enacting Federal regulations that may diminish real property values.

Moreover, the first exception to Prop 207 is that it:

Quote:
"does not apply to land use laws that:

1. Limit or prohibit a use or division of real property for the protection of the public's health and safety, including rules and regulations relating to fire and building codes, health and sanitation, transportation or traffic control, solid or hazardous waste, and pollution control;"
These proposed height limitations are clearly for the protection of the public health and safety regarding transportation.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...12&DocType=ARS

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 12:13 AM

Yep, more Tempe construction news, because Tempe is kicking ass.

Quote:
Lennar looks to build 395-unit Tempe apartment complex east of ASU

Big national home builder Lennar Corp. (NYSE: LEN) continues its push into the local multifamily marketplace.
Miami-based Lennar has plans for a 395-unti apartment complex east of Arizona State University in Tempe, according to city of Tempe documents.
The five-story apartment development would be located at Dorsey Lane and Apache Boulevard in Tempe on the Metro light rail system.

It would sit on on 6.7 acres and be called The Hayden at Dorsey Station.

Lennar already has a 328-unit luxury development under construction on Tempe Town Lake and has apartment plans for a vacant parcel at McDowell Road and Central Avenue in Phoenix.

Business Real Estate Weekly of Arizona reports construction could start in 2015 with a $65 million construction price tag. Lennar will also need to acquire two parcels with some existing buildings and get Tempe zoning approvals for the deal to go through, according to BREW.

Tempe has seen substantial apartment activity with sales of existing properties, proposed new units and some projects under construction. Many of those complexes cater to ASU students. Lennar officials and representative could not immediately be reached for comment.

Lennar is one of the largest home builders in the U.S., but is has been making big forays into the apartments in Phoenix and other cities.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...apartment.html

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Actually, I've always noticed the south runway flights come in over Marina Heights and the north runway flights over the future Grand at Papago. Do flights actually come in south of the Butte? Maybe I may need to pay more attention?
Planes do not come in from the south. I still live at W6, and its so rare I ever see that happen. They turn in from the north at about Riverview and come in straight from the east into downtown Tempe. I am very annoyed with this FAA business. What a nuisance on downtown Tempe. & what bad timing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 5:18 AM

Thanks, Nick. I guess I knew the answer that Federal > State, but given how the overall attitude has seemed to be that the state would not use eminent domain or go near anything that would open them up to a Prop 207 suit, I'm just surprised there isn't even more outrage - including that from property owners themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Yep, more Tempe construction news, because Tempe is kicking ass.
Yep, the Tempe "mega list" shows this one in planning mode:

THE HAYDEN @ DORSEY STATION
1221 E. Apache Blvd
MIXED-USE / RES / RETAIL
6.7 acres
318,976 sq foot building
398 beds
5 stories
Density: 59.4

Next one to look out for on the Apache Corridor would probably be:
THE TERRACES
1325 S. Terrace Rd
MIXED-USE / RES / RETAIL / PARKING
3.69 acres
324,221 sq foot building
169 beds
110'
Density: 45.8

110 - is that about 7 stories? Will be interesting to see which of these projects ends up being truly mixed use with retail, and which are being listed as such because of a leasing office/gym facing the street. 7 stories sounds good to me for Apache; I think this lot is where a Car Wash currently sits; a triangular-shaped piece of land on the south side of Apache. Hope it does in fact include retail - it's very close to 922 Place, which has its retail filled and The District, which is pretty dense, IIRC, and could conceivably help support business. Either way, the corridor is looking to be in good shape with all these projects between Rural and McClintock! I hope they're mostly market rate, or at least come without the typical student package (furnished, roommate selection, etc.) which may as well be student housing.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Jul 25, 2014 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Ah, this rendering has me completely thrown off. I was looking at the background: what appears to be an actual street on the left side, and building with greenery and blue roof which matches 1st street; and, the curve in the sidewalk lines up perfectly with that... but, I just now saw that water-tower structure and remember reading that the south end was being renovated the most/where parking would go/etc., which would mean this view is looking west from behind the development... I assume demolition is complete; anyone in the area able to confirm?

If from the back/east, the path along the tracks is new and would be coming from the parking area and it's hard to tell what the Farmer frontage will look like. If the opposite slope of the roofline was left in place (and not stripped to the beams like the back was), is that the main part of the restaurant? With the water-tower building housing the private rooms? Hard to picture everything fitting now knowing that the middle is a patio.

Slightly sad at how much was gutted - I hope the original barn doors toward the south and dormer windows in the middle sections made it past the wrecking ball.

For a development (Farmer Arts) that has failed to get going, why demolish portions of a building that could be used later? And, why convert interior spaces into a patio when there is so much open land that could be used to balance true open space with the sea of parking sure to accompany this project? It's great that the patio is so large and expansive toward the east, but I would've much preferred it along the north/south to liven up Farmer.

**Still happy that Fox is investing in downtown, and on Farmer no less.**

Last edited by Jjs5056; Jul 25, 2014 at 7:15 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest