HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:38 PM

Interesting! There is a lot going on with the design of this tower. Part of me wishes it was simplified just a bit, especially above the podium.

I do think the podium does a great job at referencing the smaller fine-grained retail/buildings that occupy King Street by breaking it up into smaller facades.

Fingers crossed that they have hidden the parking behind active uses.

Kudos to using real brick on the tower above the podium. That is a rarity in Hamilton.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:30 AM
It's Hammer Time

It's been approved.

Jason Thorne
https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:38 AM

Do we know the builder?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:40 AM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:53 AM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:27 AM
Hamilton Historian

Looks sharp! I approve

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:57 AM

I think it will look pretty decent, and I like that it's over 20 floors tall...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:12 PM

minor quibble, but it's actually 81.3 metres tall, not 78.
Looks awesome.
Can't wait to see what this stretch of King becomes, business-wise when you get this project built, along with the 15-storey at King/Caroline, the new Vranich 32 storey tower and the two 25-storey towers at King/Queen (again, Vranich).

Not to be forgotten, TV City, only 3 blocks south of King....
lots of new residents coming into an area that really needs them...more foot traffic, more business, more eyes on the street, more tax base for the city. Everyone wins (except the NIMBY's haha)

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:14 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
minor quibble, but it's actually 81.3 metres tall, not 78.
Looks awesome.
Can't wait to see what this stretch of King becomes, business-wise when you get this project built, along with the 15-storey at King/Caroline, the new Vranich 32 storey tower and the two 25-storey towers at King/Queen (again, Vranich).

Not to be forgotten, TV City, only 3 blocks south of King....
lots of new residents coming into an area that really needs them...more foot traffic, more business, more eyes on the street, more tax base for the city. Everyone wins (except the NIMBY's haha)
..but where are all of these people going to WORK? Even now office buildings stand vacant..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:17 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
..but where are all of these people going to WORK? Even now office buildings stand vacant..
If they're putting down money on a condo, I'm sure they already have steady jobs. Never mind the tens of thousands of jobs already present downtown as well. Stelco tower and many office buildings have steadily been filling over the last 5 years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
I think for the beginning, many people will still commute unfortunately, but once the population of the downtown increases, businesses will begin to see potential, and open an office in Hamilton. I am sure many who work in Toronto, that live in Hamilton will jump at the chance to work in downtown Hamilton closer to home. They just need that basis of people.

I keep saying this and I find it falls on deaf ears, but Hamilton really needs to work on a few little things as well. Having well designed garbage cans at regular intervals in the downtown. Maybe hire some of the homeless to pick up garbage, because many see the downtown as just dirty. Look at somewhere like Burlington, Oakville, or even Toronto, where the streets are clean and things are not falling apart. Hamilton needs to work on this.

This development and others like it will push for this type of improvement. I always say gentrification is not good or bad, it is neutral. It can be made good by smart gentrification. New businesses and more wealth can be done in a way that doesn't push out the poorer. Higher wealth people also have the expectation of cleanliness and will moan to council about it. When the rich take the bus, the bus gets better for the poor. Ensure Hamilton doesn't displace its current residents, but make room for the new people. There are ways to do both. Fight for smart gentrification rather than fighting back altogether.

We will see I suppose, I am excited for this development as it reminds you of Hamilton's growth on your way out of Hamilton.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:30 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I think for the beginning, many people will still commute unfortunately, but once the population of the downtown increases, businesses will begin to see potential, and open an office in Hamilton. I am sure many who work in Toronto, that live in Hamilton will jump at the chance to work in downtown Hamilton closer to home. They just need that basis of people.

I keep saying this and I find it falls on deaf ears, but Hamilton really needs to work on a few little things as well. Having well designed garbage cans at regular intervals in the downtown. Maybe hire some of the homeless to pick up garbage, because many see the downtown as just dirty. Look at somewhere like Burlington, Oakville, or even Toronto, where the streets are clean and things are not falling apart. Hamilton needs to work on this.

This development and others like it will push for this type of improvement. I always say gentrification is not good or bad, it is neutral. It can be made good by smart gentrification. New businesses and more wealth can be done in a way that doesn't push out the poorer. Higher wealth people also have the expectation of cleanliness and will moan to council about it. When the rich take the bus, the bus gets better for the poor. Ensure Hamilton doesn't displace its current residents, but make room for the new people. There are ways to do both. Fight for smart gentrification rather than fighting back altogether.

We will see I suppose, I am excited for this development as it reminds you of Hamilton's growth on your way out of Hamilton.
The rich don't take the bus in hamilton - there is a huge stigma about not being associated with the "plebians" of hamilton.. and in some ways I can't blame them.. as someone who takes the bus everywhere there is a very distinct "flavour" of people who take the bus - esp. comparing the downtown residents to the suburbian residents on the mountain.

Heck growing up even "I" was taught that hamilton was dirty and that hamiltonians were dirty and uneducated (I lived in stoney creek, and we did NOT call ourselves hamiltonians)- if I said things like "I says to him" my mother would scream at me to stop talking like a hamiltonian. She used to fear when I was downtown late at night that I would be attacked. Things have changed but a lot of that stigma still remains the same, esp. from people who don't live in the core of hamilton.

Hamilton has always had the dirty image - dirty factories, grimy falling apart buildings, and creepy degenerate looking grizzled downtown people with matted hair and missing teeth who are dirty or smelly. Whether those are crackheads, retired factory workers, or just homeless people..

I would like to see more businesses come downtown, but hamilton still has a long way to go to erase the past 60-70 years of perception, degeneration and decline back to the golden age of hamilton where prestige, class and opulence were the hallmarks of the downtown - where people - not just young people - but everyone, dressed up to go downtown.

I am seeing great progress, families and young people with money frequenting the downtown, but I am also seeing the old degeneracy of hamilton creeping back into the downtown again - crazy people on the streets, people begging along king william st where they KNOW people have money..

I want to feel sorry for these people, except that my mother used to work for the sisters of downtown hamilton - the convent, doing their bookkeeping, and also used to volunteer at hamilton out of the cold - a place people can go for shelter and to be fed - so I KNOW these people aren't as bad off as they try to make themselves off to be, and I KNOW they don't want food - they want money for drugs, which they shoot up with in the back alleyways along king st.

THIS is something that still needs to be addressed. This scares new people, as does the anti-gentrification movement where people are being encouraged to smash windows, glue locks on buildings and overall just vandalize new establishments. When you let the rot remain in hamilton that rot will try to corrode anything new that goes into it. Hamilton has been left to rot for FAR too long, and it's going to take a while for that resistance to go away.

And it is imperative that poorer people arent pushed out, but also that these people get the help and are pushed to change. You have generations of people on welfare - people who have never worked, and never intend to work, and that should NOT be our responsibility, nor should we feel the need to keep these people stay here, and remain the way they are.

The poorest areas of hamilton are cannon st and barton st - where those entire stretches have long been considered the seediest parts of hamilton, crackwhores, skinheads, gangs thugs drugs dealers - one has to ask themselves if things keep getting better what is our plan for where these types of people are going o go - does hamilton HAVE a plan for that?

-----

The downtown really needs to have a whole fleet of police just constantly scouring it - it needs to have security cameras at every corner, in every back alley, monitoring the degenerate areas 24/7, and have some concrete plan of what to do with the people once they find them.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:27 PM

I commute to Toronto for work because literally nobody in Hamilton offers work in my field anywhere near the pay rate in Toronto. Not to mention benefits, etc.

In Hamilton I was lucky enough to get 25 hours a week at a creative agency with zero guarantee of more hours & any pay increases.

That's Hamilton's little dirty secret; it's great for artists, but if you are a creative working in digital communications, there is literally zero work here & when jobs become available, they're flooded with applications. Not to shit on our small agencies, they do good work, but it's unreasonable to expect them to grow to the point where they can take on multiple mohawk/mac grads & offer them anything beyond internships/part time. Our profs at Mohawk told us pretty straight up that we should go to Toronto for experience. People only work in Hamilton in this field when they're burnt out or ready for kids.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It's been approved.

Jason Thorne
I like this!

I looked up the developer though and i'm not familiar with their other projects. Anyone have first hand insight on any of them?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I think we will see some switch over the years where jobs already existing downtown but filled by people commuting in from Burlington will end up being filled by people in the core. Hopefully a lot more people living in the core will also end up creating some demand for business to fill those towers.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I think we will see some switch over the years where jobs already existing downtown but filled by people commuting in from Burlington will end up being filled by people in the core. Hopefully a lot more people living in the core will also end up creating some demand for business to fill those towers.
I agree with this. I think the more development in the core equals more people living and spending money in the core, which also means more business and more jobs.

Actually, Hamilton was ranked 2nd in Canada currently for the best places to find work. I forget where I saw this. I believe it was on CHCH the other morning though.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It's been approved.

Jason Thorne
Sweet render. Pretty innovative to have a church in there. Wish the retail space would go all along King though. I'm pretty pessimistic about Vrancor's likelihood of building up a retail streetwall on the kitty corner. From experience, Vrancor just doesn't seem to care about retail and the city doesn't force it. But maybe that will change with LRT.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:50 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
I agree with this. I think the more development in the core equals more people living and spending money in the core, which also means more business and more jobs.

Actually, Hamilton was ranked 2nd in Canada currently for the best places to find work. I forget where I saw this. I believe it was on CHCH the other morning though.
heck according to lamb we're the "suburb" of toronto - that still pisses me off - hamilton is the only other actual "city" in all of the golden horseshoe other than toronto.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 9:32 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
heck according to lamb we're the "suburb" of toronto - that still pisses me off - hamilton is the only other actual "city" in all of the golden horseshoe other than toronto.
Yea...it's ridiculous to suggest that. Makes me think of the people claiming that Peterborough is going to become a suburb of Toronto. Hamilton developed separately from Toronto, they don't have much to do with each other in creating vibrant cities, except for employing people....to some extent.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:27 AM

From the architect's website:

Quote:
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
PLATINUM CONDOS

The Platinum development on 15 Queen St South, is an exciting project for the city, bringing in demand rental space to a prominent location in Hamilton’s downtown core, directly along the proposed LRT route. The design focuses on details and programming with the intent to animate the street at grade, and proposes a quality design in terms of materials, articulation and detailing. Platinum Condos is a point tower with one level of below grade parking, a mixed use podium and 24 storeys of residential rental units.

The tower component is set back from the podium to help articulate the differences between the two elements. At Level 6 where the tower emerges from the podium, the floor is a mix of residential units and amenity – both have access to roof terraces, with a large south facing outdoor space to be shared by the building residents.

The ground floor is designed to include retail space, a residential entry, parking, and a church, which will serve the former congregation which sat on this Hamilton corner. Retail is proposed along the northwest corner where the building has been cut back for a daylight triangle. While the public face of the church will be developed in conversation with the congregation, we have identified this area as a unique character element on the street. The vertical element running along the east corner takes advantage of unusable parking area above, and allows the church to draw in light and express a ‘steeple’ element in the façade.

Surface mounted lights create a sense of progression and rhythm along the street. Moving north along Queen Street there is an entry point with drop off for the residential lobby. The potential for overhangs, covered entry and signage have been identified to create a sense of welcome to residents.
http://mccallumsather.com/projects/platinum-condo/

Huge render below:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton