HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 11:52 PM
The City

^. Well, Chicago has so much industrial space that it's ridiculous. You can only have so many art galleries and tech offices.

What is needed is more low density residential at theses sites. I'd rather see that than another Elston corridor shopping center.

Of course, Nimby nimrods will oppose residential on the basis of traffic, not being sophisticated enough (especially in Lincoln Park) to comprehend that a giant shopping center will create way more traffic than town homes or small apartment buildings ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 12:06 AM

The new industrial incubator is going to be right there. They should just keep it industrial, retool the site so that it can try out whatever things they come up with across the river. Probably not a bad idea to have large industrial space nearby. No matter what they do, there is going to need to be some heavy duty clean up to the area due to the pollution/contamination. Probably going to make reuse of the site much more expensive. Then again, i know nothing of the cost of remediation on that.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:11 AM

These buildings are useless for industrial at this point. Any modern industrial firm wouldn't think of occupying it for a second. There is a reason why Finkl is moving out to new digs and not staying in. If you've ever been in a modern factory, then you know why this space is obsolete.

As I said before, the costs of retrofitting this for a new use would be absurd. You could probably build 1.5 new buildings from the ground up for the same price that it would cost to reuse these old buildings. On top of that I can't help but imagine the loss factor for structures like this adapted to office would be through the roof. As if that weren't enough, these are all heavily contaminated from 100 years of molten heavy metal. It's just not feasible, I've actually seen some estimates on the remediation of these buildings and it won't work. Can't be justified financially especially when you can get significantly higher density out of new development.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 12:39 PM

Pretty nice write-up on the somerset renovation job in Uptown

We bought in the immediate area shortly before it was shutdown and the changes have already been remarkable with many more good things to come.

http://www.kisergroup.com/index.php/...ad-i-didnt-get

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
Pretty nice write-up on the somerset renovation job in Uptown

We bought in the immediate area shortly before it was shutdown and the changes have already been remarkable with many more good things to come.

http://www.kisergroup.com/index.php/...ad-i-didnt-get
Very awesome. The way he describes it, I wish there were some pictures or would love to tour it. I was excited when I saw the building permit for this awhile ago, but some people on here were really doubtful that this place would be good. I'm glad to hear the good news about it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Very awesome. The way he describes it, I wish there were some pictures or would love to tour it. I was excited when I saw the building permit for this awhile ago, but some people on here were really doubtful that this place would be good. I'm glad to hear the good news about it.
I was skeptical but they quietly went about their business getting it done without much hype (looking at your FLATS) and it should be a shot in the arm to an area that is seeing steady improvement. As mentioned in the article, it has a great commercial spaces (along with the Horizon building nearby), if the Argyle streetscape goes well, the Argyle / Margate Park area could look really different in a few years. The area is already super liveable and a couple more bars/restaurants would put it over the top.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
I was skeptical but they quietly went about their business getting it done without much hype (looking at your FLATS) and it should be a shot in the arm to an area that is seeing steady improvement. As mentioned in the article, it has a great commercial spaces (along with the Horizon building nearby), if the Argyle streetscape goes well, the Argyle / Margate Park area could look really different in a few years. The area is already super liveable and a couple more bars/restaurants would put it over the top.
Yeah, very cool stuff. Is there any word on that office conversion to apartments on the corner of Argyle & Broadway?

Also, DNA Info ran a story about this and they have a few pictures. The lobby looks pretty cool if you're into modernist interiors:
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...llion-makeover

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:04 PM

I don't know why, but the CAF just uploaded a ton of interesting videos yesterday to their youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoArchitecture/videos

Mostly about Willis Tower, Marina City, Thompson Center, the Marquette Building, the Rookery, and Monadnock. Well-produced, oddly titled. I'm guessing they didn't intend for them to be used publicly, but a public youtube page is a public youtube page.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I don't know why, but the CAF just uploaded a ton of interesting videos yesterday to their youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoArchitecture/videos

Mostly about Willis Tower, Marina City, Thompson Center, the Marquette Building, the Rookery, and Monadnock. Well-produced, oddly titled. I'm guessing they didn't intend for them to be used publicly, but a public youtube page is a public youtube page.
Maybe to promote their open houses coming up?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:38 PM

Sure, but the titles they gave the videos look like placeholder or internal reference names, not something you'd put on a public facing. They don't really use their YT account like that. I was thinking they intend to embed them somewhere, or include them on a tour/exhibit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:49 PM

Sterling Bay grabs up a River North loft-office for $28M.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ED03/140929935

Since it's north of Chicago Ave and off a small side street with hardly any street visibility, that building doesn't get lumped in with a lot of the River North loftice (/coined!) talk, but it's so close to the Chicago brown line stop it has huge potential. I think they haven't had any trouble filling it up. It sounds like Sterling wants to upgrade it a bit and charge higher rents.

Nice to see them doing work outside of their West Loop comfort zone.

I think they moved, but local startup I've actively avoided employment at Spartz Media had a pretty cool office there:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Looks great. What do you think of those rents, though? $1,399 for a studio, up to $2,150 for a one bedroom? Those aren't much lower than what I'd expect for new construction in Lakeview or Lincoln Park.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Looks great. What do you think of those rents, though? $1,399 for a studio, up to $2,150 for a one bedroom? Those aren't much lower than what I'd expect for new construction in Lakeview or Lincoln Park.
Sure, it's not cheap but the building if I'm reading it right was rehabbed using actual good finishes. Starting at $1350/month for a 1 bedroom is not bad if this rehab was done as well as is being touted. Is it cheap? No. Will it get renters? Probably. That's less than what I pay in Gold Coast and I'm a fan of that area.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Sure, it's not cheap but the building if I'm reading it right was rehabbed using actual good finishes. Starting at $1350/month for a 1 bedroom is not bad if this rehab was done as well as is being touted. Is it cheap? No. Will it get renters? Probably. That's less than what I pay in Gold Coast and I'm a fan of that area.
I just wonder if people would pay that much for a place in Uptown. I know people paying WAY less than that for huge, updated apartments around Wilson / Lawrence.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I just wonder if people would pay that much for a place in Uptown. I know people paying WAY less than that for huge, updated apartments around Wilson / Lawrence.
Sure, but not all apartments are the same. The way the article sounds (not the DNAInfo) one makes it appear as if the materials used, the finishes, etc are VERY nice and as good if not better than most luxury buildings in Chicago. He likens it to finishes at the Waldorf Astoria - I've been in a number of luxury buildings and not a ton of them have those types of finishes in town (though many are nice, but just below that level).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 9:45 PM
dream fast

9-23

New City

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 9:47 PM
dream fast

9/24

Franklin & Chestnut

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 10:02 PM
The City

^ Damn. It's like a fine scotch, that building. Smooth & clean.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 11:55 PM
BANNED

New City...youch..looks very similar to crap that went up in Arlington, VA

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 1:32 AM

Turns out those CAF videos weren't supposed to be made public, and they're part of an online feature going live next week. They're all gone now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development