HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My post clearly states "built environment not residential density"

This forum would be such a lovely place if people just read eachother's posts instead of skimming them, quickly drawing a conclusion, and jumping on the "reply" button
I don't know if you are responding to me, but I was backing up the point you were trying to make and then furthering it to include how it stacks up in terms of population density. It would be nice if people didn't jump to the first emotion in their mind

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:56 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Question: What are people's definitions of downtown Chicago in this discussion? I see some people referring to only the Loop, while others are referring to the greater area given by the new boundaries. Same thing when comparing downtown Chicago to Manhattan. Are we talking about the CBD below 59th St, or the entire island?
My personal way of identifying "downtown Chicago" is from Division to Roosevelt (North to South), and I-90 to the Lake (West to East). This is in no way official, just my personal definition of downtown.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yeah, off track. Still think something needs to be done about Medallion holders and trying to, if not make them whole, at least take some of the sting off them.
Agreed. There was an implicit contract between the city and medallion holders. Loopholes in the law - even good ones - are not a legitimate basis for reneging on that contract.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:34 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
can someone explain the trend towards these "fake" industrial awnings in the west loop. seemingly every new/refurbished building sticks one of these pointless pieces of steel on the front facade...is it that hard to also include some sort of actual shelter for pedestrians since youre actually going to the trouble (its hard to tell if these do or dont have a roof, but it would appear they dont). gotta be one of the dumbest trends.
Yes, these are recommended by the Fulton Market District plan.

I don't mind them. It's a tidy way to host signage and lighting without clutter. In some cases they will come with a glass or steel roof that does provide shelter, but then they have to include drainage for water and be engineered for snow loads.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 6:46 PM

Good to see some potential new residential development in Bronzeville.

Neighboring Bronzeville developments among projects to pass the Chicago Plan Commission

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:25 PM

^ Great to see! I know a lot of the lots in Bronzeville are city-owned and thus have strict affordable requirements attached to them. I wonder if that'll last indefinitely or if we'll see the city loosen up the reqs as more infill occurs. Would certainly make the area even more attractive.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 4:34 AM

^ Just 12 units - and good for Bronzeville but nothing really extremely out of the ordinary. Of course, they do have way more new single family home type of developments but they have had other multi unit buildings, some of this size, granted permits in 2017.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Post #39379

And I don't understand why everyone is using Midtown Manhattan as a comparison.

Midtown Manhattan is the most densely built up portion of the 25ish square mile island. And as Marothisu just described above, there are already portions of the Gold Coast that have population densities that you could see in parts of Manhattan.

Thus, if you insist on using Midtown Manhattan as the sole benchmark of all of Manhattan then there is no point in discussing things further. But otherwise, it is perfectly conceivable that the downtown area of Chicago could have population densities similar to parts of Manhattan in the future.
Why would you compare downtown Chicago to all of Manhattan, when the latter is much larger? Manhattan’s population is 2/3 of Chicago’s entire city population. You either compare CBD to CBD, or comparable areas (either by square mileage or population). Either way, nothing in the US will ever approach Manhattan.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
Agreed. There was an implicit contract between the city and medallion holders. Loopholes in the law - even good ones - are not a legitimate basis for reneging on that contract.
So find some way to compensate them, but there is no good argument for maintaining a monopoly to the detriment of consumers.

They’re all going to lose their jobs to self-driving vehicles in our lifetimes anyway.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:50 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Giordano Dance (former Hermon Baptist Church)
1754 N Clark
Designed by BKL - kind of has an OMA Seattle library feel

Has this article in Curbed been posted?

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/1...l-architecture

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 4:09 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
^ Great to see! I know a lot of the lots in Bronzeville are city-owned and thus have strict affordable requirements attached to them. I wonder if that'll last indefinitely or if we'll see the city loosen up the reqs as more infill occurs. Would certainly make the area even more attractive.
Don't the affordable housing laws apply for only 10 units or more?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
They’re all going to lose their jobs to self-driving vehicles in our lifetimes anyway.

Insurance and regulatory law are part of my professional bailiwick and honestly I have doubts about whether that will actually happen. Currently in insurance there isn't a lot of comfort in providing coverage for "Cyber" risks or the "Cyber" exposure of traditional risks. Things like accidents caused by third party tampering with the ECU in motor vehicles absolutely terrify insurers (and more importantly reinsurers since insurers can't write policies that they can't subsequently insure) who struggle to find a way to quantify and price that kind of exposure. Just this past week I got in an argument with a major reinsurer that has decided that they don't want to cover any "cyber" exposure related to Medical Malpractice (which could range from data breach that exposes patient records to a technician that fails to calibrate the software controlling scanning equipment) in any context, be it malicious breach or simply badly designed or maintained computer equipment. So while self-driving cars may happen, getting it to the point where they can be totally autonomous without having a responsible driver at hand to intervene at any moment may be even further away.

Likewise, the regulatory environment still hasn't moved very far or fast regarding how to reconcile the use of drones with existing rules governing aircraft, model aircraft, controlled airspace, and uncontrolled airspace. Rules and regulations that are years behind schedule and yet to be tested. At the Federal level no less which is arguably easier than trying to address regulations for self-driving autos which will be regulated at the state level for each individual state. Even getting states to adopt model clauses they've agreed to in principle is a slow process...in one case we're going on eight years and have managed to get 35 states on board thus far. Some states, like Texas, have legislative chambers that meet very infrequently (for Texas, a single 140 day session every 2 years). So bandwidth to tackle controversial topics can be rather low.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
So find some way to compensate them, but there is no good argument for maintaining a monopoly to the detriment of consumers.

Of course, I’m not suggesting that we should’ve banned ridesharing. A lot of the rationale behind having a highly-regulated taxi industry broke down with the introduction of Uber and Lyft. The right thing to have done would be to adjust the regulations on the taxi industry to reflect the new normal and compensate them to some extent for the changes.

It’s similar to what’s happening with power companies. We tightly regulate electricity prices and place conditions on coverage, in exchange for a monopoly. With increasing amounts of distributed solar, however, that model is under threat. We need to find a way for all energy producers to share costs of maintaining the grid while still encouraging solar adoption.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Insurance and regulatory law are part of my professional bailiwick and honestly I have doubts about whether that will actually happen. Currently in insurance there isn't a lot of comfort in providing coverage for "Cyber" risks or the "Cyber" exposure of traditional risks. Things like accidents caused by third party tampering with the ECU in motor vehicles absolutely terrify insurers (and more importantly reinsurers since insurers can't write policies that they can't subsequently insure) who struggle to find a way to quantify and price that kind of exposure. Just this past week I got in an argument with a major reinsurer that has decided that they don't want to cover any "cyber" exposure related to Medical Malpractice (which could range from data breach that exposes patient records to a technician that fails to calibrate the software controlling scanning equipment) in any context, be it malicious breach or simply badly designed or maintained computer equipment. So while self-driving cars may happen, getting it to the point where they can be totally autonomous without having a responsible driver at hand to intervene at any moment may be even further away.

Likewise, the regulatory environment still hasn't moved very far or fast regarding how to reconcile the use of drones with existing rules governing aircraft, model aircraft, controlled airspace, and uncontrolled airspace. Rules and regulations that are years behind schedule and yet to be tested. At the Federal level no less which is arguably easier than trying to address regulations for self-driving autos which will be regulated at the state level for each individual state. Even getting states to adopt model clauses they've agreed to in principle is a slow process...in one case we're going on eight years and have managed to get 35 states on board thus far. Some states, like Texas, have legislative chambers that meet very infrequently (for Texas, a single 140 day session every 2 years). So bandwidth to tackle controversial topics can be rather low.
This just means Google and Tesla and Uber, and whoever else gets into the self-driving car game, are going to need to create insurance subsidiaries in order to sell their technology. Is there any reason why they would not?

They have the necessary capital, but perhaps I’m missing something.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
This just means Google and Tesla and Uber, and whoever else gets into the self-driving car game, are going to need to create insurance subsidiaries in order to sell their technology. Is there any reason why they would not?

They have the necessary capital, but perhaps I’m missing something.

Tesla and Uber are already burning investor cash. They don't have he resources to spend on trying to staff up an insurance subsidiary which is becoming increasingly expensive due to the technical and analytical resources that are increasingly becoming a pre-requisite to running an insurer.

It would also plunge them into the highly regulated realm of insurance where they would need to obtain licenses and develop compliance processes in order to adhere to the regulations of 50 states. Unlike their previous forays into regulated industries, the authorities that regulate insurance aren't fucking around and will not hesitate to drop a hammer down on companies that flout regulations, going so far as seizing or taking control of a rogue company. Equally important is the fact that they'd have to invest significant amounts of cash in order to fund the reserve accounts of the insurer whose liabilities can tie up those reserves for years if not decades (as Casualty elements of policies can take years to develop or grow, what we call a long-tail exposure).

So even lacking the institutional resources and not wanting to unnecessarily encumber valuable capital for years on end even if they did create a subsidiary they'd STILL be screwed. Like banks that rely on a secondary market to sell loans to in order to allow them to continue writing/originating new loans at a steady clip insurers rely on a secondary market (reinsurance) to allow them to write new policies and larger limits. It also protects the insureds from the solvency/credit risk of the insurer by spreading their policy coverage amongst several different companies. Which is why states generally require insurers to purchase reinsurance if they want to write any significant amount of business.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:26 PM

Any updates on the Shulze baking company conversion into a data center? It was announced two years ago, and I heard a rumor that they finally got a permit to start work, but I've yet to hear real things.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:57 AM

That shitpit, aka Citizen Bar, is finally getting replaced...and I like it's replacement.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/2...o-construction

Last edited by KWillChicago; Nov 30, 2017 at 10:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
That shitpit, aka Citizen Bar, is finally getting replaced...and I like it's replacement.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/2...o-construction
I actually had some good times at Citizen. My friend ran a comedy night there for a short while and it was often less crowded than other, bro-ier spots in River North. Happy to lose the parking lots, though.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:58 PM
The City

"Shitpit" pubs are the flavor of life.

Now we're going to get a sterile condo building full of elitist snobs with no ground level activity.

I'm still ok with that, actually, but I never am a fan of losing watering holes

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Generalize much?

Is there a buzz word of the last few years that means so little as "elitist"?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development