HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:20 PM
The City

^ That's heartening to see.

The West Loop is slowly warming up on me. Although there is a lot of NIMBYism, I'm beginning to appreciate the aesthetic of the area. I like the lower building heights and the preservation of buildings such as this one mixed in with new construction. Still need more of those vacant lots on the north side of Madison to get filled in. Madison will really turn into a nice commercial spine for the district once more of those are developed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
It looked as coarse as concrete, but insulation/ fire protection makes more sense. How hard does that stuff end up?
I think you are both kind of correct. It is fireproofing for the steel structure, but the fireproofing is actually a cementitious material which makes it kinda like concrete. Typically fireproofing for steel is made of a mix of cement and gypsum combined with lightweight fibrous aggregate (as opposed to heavy aggregate in normal concrete..i.e. rocks) and water to make a spray-able foam. It ends up hard enough that it would take some effort to remove it with your bare hands, but it can be done. Removing it with a chisel or other tool is fairly easy. This is why it is only used on steel that will not be exposed or easily accessible by the public in the final condition.

On another note, does it seem like Burberry has been sitting in this exact state for a long time? I feel like the steel structure has been topped out since the beginning of April. Is it strange that there is no cladding on site yet?

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:27 PM

This sounds really cool. They are building a recreation of the famous Hofbrauhaus beer hall in Munich in Rosemont now. It will be brew Hofbrau beer on site. It's supposed to be open in June or July of this year. Can't believe I haven't heard anything about it before.

http://www.hofbrauhauschicago.com

Last edited by Baronvonellis; May 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:35 PM
THAT Guy

^That's part of the enormous entertainment district Rosemont is building right next to Muvico. Some of those restaurants/bars have already opened. I've read that the developers of the adjacent indoor outlet mall have financing in place so construction should begin on that fairly soon. That'll be a huge draw.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
600 W Stratford
8-12 units
After five years of living in the area Im glad to see this hole FINALLY get filled. ...big bonus that its not another SFH as well.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^That's part of the enormous entertainment district Rosemont is building right next to Muvico. Some of those restaurants/bars have already opened. I've read that the developers of the adjacent indoor outlet mall have financing in place so construction should begin on that fairly soon. That'll be a huge draw.
^ While most of us here hate suburbia, I'm actually very excited about this. My wife loves this kind of stuff (sans the German beer hall), but that would be a trade-off between us.

Afternoon: outlet shopping for her
Evening: beer hall for me

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicago Swi Sox View Post
I think you are both kind of correct. It is
On another note, does it seem like Burberry has been sitting in this exact state for a long time? I feel like the steel structure has been topped out since the beginning of April. Is it strange that there is no cladding on site yet?
My bus goes by it everyday. After it topped out, it seems like it took maybe two weeks to apply the fireproofing (one floor at a time, wrapping the entire floor in plastic during the spraying). Then after that, I think they applied the roof membrane. That was maybe 2 weeks ago. I haven't seen any major progress since, but they could be doing fairly invisible prep work right now. It's also possible that something in the design or manufacturing of the cladding has thrown the construction schedule off slightly.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 3:00 AM

Sara Lee HQ:
(Screenshots from video - lower quality)

From the Eisenhower:

Harper Court:
Moved to the Hyde Park thread

Google Maps
Chicago's satellite views on Google Maps were recently updated with pictures from about 2 weeks ago. Cool to see some fresh worksites from the satellite perspective....even the Habitat and Optima starts are in there! Also check out the new cloverleaf under construction at Congress and Lower Wacker.

Last edited by markh9; May 17, 2012 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 3:25 AM
Urbane observer

^I think the Google aerials are actually from mid-March.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 1:57 PM

How tall is Sara Lee supposed to get? The picture makes it look like a big chunk is topped out at 5 stories.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 2:45 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
How tall is Sara Lee supposed to get? The picture makes it look like a big chunk is topped out at 5 stories.
^ .....just got back from a trip to Alpha Centauri or something?

This is an adaptive reuse of an existing building

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 5:15 PM

From Crain's today: a Prairies Ave. Mcmansion is a "no-brainer." It is low density, tacky, and ostentatious. But hey, at least it keeps the neighborhood feel in tact, right?

Quote:
Richard Simon, CEO of Chicago-based United Service Cos., recently obtained zoning approval to build a 13,300-square-foot home on the 1900 block of the street where Marshall Field, George Pullman, and others lived during the late 19th century. The structure would include two one-bedroom apartments above a garage, according to a zoning application approved by the city's Zoning Board of Appeals.
I wonder if those apartments will be rented out or used as guest homes.

I fully support landmark preservation, but I don't think a low-rise with 5-10 floors would kill this neighborhood. In fact, I think more density (more safety, amentities etc.) would only make the historic homes more valuable, yet:

Quote:
Prairie Avenue in recent years has been a battleground between high-rise developers and neighbors aiming to keep the historic integrity of the street. Mr. Simon, whose family has lived in the area for 20 years, says his brick home will fit in.
Instead of density:
Quote:
The seller paid $4.25 million for the land in 2007 and planned to build a seven-story condo building and four or five townhouses there before getting hit with a foreclosure suit that was dropped in April.
Not really Prairie Ave historic District:

Quote:
Although not technically part of the historic district, the house Mr. Simon plans to build was embraced by neighbors because it respects the integrity of the neighborhood, Ms. Feldstein says.

“We take it parcel by parcel, project by project, and if it's right for the community then it's a no-brainer,” she says. “This is one of those that's a no-brainer.”
I'm not sure a Mcmansion is a no-brainer to many. However, I do understand that:

Quote:
For a neighborhood still littered with unsold condos built during the housing boom, a mansion is a better use of the land than previous proposals, says Alderman Robert Fioretti, whose 2nd Ward encompasses the district.
Here's a pic from the article:
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 5:18 PM

Nothing really new to speak of, but a short blurb on the Reese redevelopment process from The Architects Newspaper today.

Quote:
REESE READIED
Site of preservation battle in Chicago prepped for redevelopment.

The battle to save the modernist and Prairie-style buildings at the old Michael Reese Hospital was one of the most heated in the closing years of the Daley administration. Preservationists lost most of the battle, and the 37-acre site has been largely cleared, most of its modern buildings—attributed to Walter Gropius and others—and landscape by Hideo Sasaki have been bulldozed. In January, the city of Chicago issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) for development and design teams to rethink the vast site, which holds significant economic potential for the near South Side. In early March, 11 teams submitted proposals, including major players in development, planning, and architecture.

Located near McCormick Place and the Lake, and not far from the Loop, the site is prime for redevelopment—the city hopes—as lending increases and the economy gradually improves. The city purchased it for $91 million in hopes of building an Olympic Village there for the 2016 Games, a hope that was soon dashed when Rio de Janeiro won the competition to be host city. The economy was already beginning its rapid contraction, leaving the city with a costly purchase amid a weakening real estate climate.

At the start, the Daley administration pushed for a technology park on the site, a proposal the new RFP reinforces but does not require. The city expects that proximity to three universities, especially Illinois Institute of Technology, will bolster the possibility of a technology campus. The RFP calls for the creation of “high-quality, 21st century jobs,” sustainable development, and plans attracting and fostering new companies as well as encouraging redevelopment in the adjacent neighborhoods and a positive return on investment for the city.

Responding teams include U.S. Equities working with Cooper Robertson & Partners; Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture; Forest City; Chicago Consultant Studio; CBRE with Arcadis; Solomon Cordwell Buenz; Lakota Group; Jones Lang LaSalle; exp U.S. Services; and Higgins Development Partners. The selected team will be given two years to develop their proposal, though the winning team is expected to lay out phasing framework and additional development partners and financing by the end of 2012.

Alan G. Brake

I know SCB is involved, but I would hope that all of the design teams have at least seen the Lake Meadows master plan (by SCB) and attempts to blend the two together. If both areas could get off the ground and be part of a cohesive urban design this area could be poised for a huge rebound over the next twenty years. But thats a BIG 'if' considering nothing has been heard from Lake Meadows in almost two years now.

Last edited by untitledreality; May 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Richard Simon, CEO of Chicago-based United Service Cos., recently obtained zoning approval to build a 13,300-square-foot home on the 1900 block of the street where Marshall Field, George Pullman, and others lived during the late 19th century. The structure would include two one-bedroom apartments above a garage, according to a zoning application approved by the city's Zoning Board of Appeals.
So this guy managed to get a brand spanking new coach house approved? I'd like to know how that happened... and if a poor shmuck like myself could get one approved.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 6:03 PM

Quote:
From Crain's today: a Prairies Ave. Mcmansion is a "no-brainer." It is low density, tacky, and ostentatious. But hey, at least it keeps the neighborhood feel in tact, right?

I wonder if those apartments will be rented out or used as guest homes.

I fully support landmark preservation, but I don't think a low-rise with 5-10 floors would kill this neighborhood. In fact, I think more density (more safety, amentities etc.) would only make the historic homes more valuable, yet:

Instead of density:

Not really Prairie Ave historic District:

I'm not sure a Mcmansion is a no-brainer to many. However, I do understand that:

Here's a pic from the article:
I support more density in this area, but there's something nice about a single block that's entirely lowrise. It adds punctuation (for lack of a better word) to a neighborhood that will eventually be filled with more highrises. That's what I kind of like about Gold Coast. It's an alternating pattern of highrise and lowrise blocks, giving a nice mixed feel. I wouldn't be quick to call it a McMansion either. It simply looks like "a mansion" Custom built and designed, not some developer driven spec. build product. Large single family homes serve a purpose to showcase affluence of the neighborhood.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 6:12 PM
The City

^ I'm betting that this will be a nice looking mansion, and it fits well within the context.

Agree with Hayward, there is no market for highrises in this area right now, but that doesn't mean more won't be constructed in the future. Allowing some of the vacant/parking lots to fill in during the interim with buildings like these and well-paid households only bodes well for the district's desirability in the long run

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 6:24 PM

Eh. Honestly that design isn't so bad, its just traditional. When I think "tacky", I think of those faux castles/chateaus/villas, with endless turrets etc. This one while definitely large, dosen't appear ostentatious and is at least nicely proportional/symmetrical.

And yea, I wouldnt call it a McMansion. Its a plain old "mansion" . When I think Mcmansion, this is what comes to mind:

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:

I wonder if those apartments will be rented out or used as guest homes
Probably servants quarters lol. I'm glad that this is being built in the south loop instead of in Lake Forest or a far flug exurb. More money being kept in the city. The guy might donate a wing to the Art Institute someday you never know. Plus, this help fill in the south loop and make the remaining lots more valuable and more likely to be dense. Hopefully, this will push development farther south of the stevenson if this area fills up with Mansions for the ultra wealth.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 7:13 PM

It's all about the scale, proportion and details. The house just north of this is a very nice, limestone mansion built about 7-10 years ago -
And of course, north of that is the old Marshall Field Jr. home.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 7:22 PM

Looks like Joe Ricketts has torpedoed the Wrigley renovation deal his kids were working on. I imagine this will slow or stop related development of the triangle building and the parcels across Clark the family has been picking up.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ebuild-wrigley

Quote:
Asked whether the flap will affect the Wrigley rebuild, Mr. Emanuel replied, "I'll have some conversations on that later — comments, rather."

A source close to the mayor confirms that that remark was indeed Freudian. Mr. Emanuel is "livid" with the family's "blatant hypocrisy," that source says. The Ricketts have tried to contact him, my source adds, but the mayor "does not want to talk with them today, tomorrow or anytime soon."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development