HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 4:32 PM

Work has been ongoing this week for the huge empty lot next to the Irving Park Brown Line stop. I think they're finally going forward with phase 2 of the 6-story building housing Crepes a Latte. Nice to see one more empty lot getting filled with high-density development.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 4:35 PM
THAT Guy

More hotel news

Yotel is teaming up with John Buck to raise money to develop more hotels in the US, specifically targeting Boston and Chicago. No location has been given but they say they're willing to rebrand existing hotels, convert office buildings, or develop brand new hotels. I wonder if Buck's 200 N Michigan could be in play...The Yotel in NY is huge with 669 cabins (not rooms since these are much smaller), kiosk check-in, and a robotic bellhop.

There's also talk of a SLS Hotel in Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The east-west part of Wacker replaced South Water Street. River Street was the short NE-SW diagonal approach to the Rush Street Bridge, where Heald Square is now.
woops, switched them in my head, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
Work has been ongoing this week for the huge empty lot next to the Irving Park Brown Line stop. I think they're finally going forward with phase 2 of the 6-story building housing Crepes a Latte. Nice to see one more empty lot getting filled with high-density development.
This is exciting. I thought all of the brown line staging areas were just going to linger forever. This fills me with hope that Montrose and Addison may see redevelopment sometime. The Montrose lot is being used as a community garden this summer, which I guess is better than nothing. Also, Ravenswood Hospital demolition will start July 1st.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:55 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Yotel is teaming up with John Buck to raise money to develop more hotels in the US, specifically targeting Boston and Chicago. No location has been given but they say they're willing to rebrand existing hotels, convert office buildings, or develop brand new hotels. I wonder if Buck's 200 N Michigan could be in play...The Yotel in NY is huge with 669 cabins (not rooms since these are much smaller), kiosk check-in, and a robotic bellhop.

There's also talk of a SLS Hotel in Chicago.
Interesting. I have to say, Yotel's concept for Chicago I think makes me a little queasy. In exorbitantly-priced true global first-tier alpha cities (NY, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc) I get it. In Chicago, it could much more easily turn into something very seamy and undesirable, at least imho....

At any rate, I sure hope this isn't what Buck is planning for their super-high profile Michigan Avenue development site.....I wouldn't think it would be, but still hope I'm not surprised....

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:01 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
I don't recall this project. Does anybody have a rendering handy?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:30 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Interesting. I have to say, Yotel's concept for Chicago I think makes me a little queasy. In exorbitantly-priced true global first-tier alpha cities (NY, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc) I get it. In Chicago, it could much more easily turn into something very seamy and undesirable, at least imho....
That honestly sounds like the arguments NIMBYs made against the Toyoko Inn project by Union Station ("The rates are so low it'll attract homeless people"). Even though the rooms are small, the lowest price for random dates seems to be over $200/night. Yes that's New York, but I don't think rates will differ enough that in Chicago Yotel will attract a "bad element."

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don't recall this project. Does anybody have a rendering handy?
Yeah, I've been watching this on my commute. What is going in apartments?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:27 AM

Two updates from South Michigan (taken this morning):

Cleaning continues on Fine Arts / Studebaker. I got a little freaked out when I first saw that teal green from two blocks up the street yesterday, but it turns out it is only a primer for a fresh shade of historic green.

I'm wondering since they are painting the windows now if they have no intention of cleaning the upper three floors at this time. Based on the existing color, I assumed they were a similar pink granite to the base, but I could be wrong.

The rest of the facade is coming off 618 S. Michigan Ave. Pretty much a clean slate under there.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:51 AM

Neapolitan Ice Cream Building

with mint.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
That honestly sounds like the arguments NIMBYs made against the Toyoko Inn project by Union Station ("The rates are so low it'll attract homeless people"). Even though the rooms are small, the lowest price for random dates seems to be over $200/night. Yes that's New York, but I don't think rates will differ enough that in Chicago Yotel will attract a "bad element."
Presumably the Toyoko and Yotel etc. developers do their homework to avoid room prices falling too much, but I would still hesitate to criticize as Nimby a local who is concerned about siting for this. There is no shortage in history or today of big cities having undesirable areas persist around things like bus stations (or say the Pacific Garden Mission on Wabash until recently), and the Toyoko site is two blocks from Sears Tower and the old post office and is in a yet-to-boom part of the West Loop, not to mention the spot we hope HSR and Union Station will flourish. In fact, at worst any city pushback ought to result only in them moving a bit further away to cheaper land, which still should fit well with their general business model. Of course it is unlikely a new hotel would go so far as to morph into something resembling Pacific Garden Mission, but I couldn't help noticing there's already something called "Beggars Pizza" on the block where Toyoko was proposed, hehe...

-----------------

Demolition alert -- actually, "demolished" alert -- a bunch of very old industrial buildings on Elston at Leavitt, next to the Home Depot. Google Street View still has them, but it looks today they have virtually completely disappeared seemingly overnight.

Until their demise they looked decrepitly uneconomical enough (look at the yellow "For Lease Cheap!" sign in Street View) that there was probably zero hope for them, but maybe there was some historical value to them. (Anyone know?) At a minimum, they were a sight for sore eyes (scraggly, but quaint and pleasing in a way) on the suburban sewer big-box stretch of Elston between Fullerton and Diversey.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Demolition alert -- actually, "demolished" alert -- a bunch of very old industrial buildings on Elston at Leavitt, next to the Home Depot. Google Street View still has them, but it looks today they have virtually completely disappeared seemingly overnight.
Boom.

There's a bit more info to be had with a bit of googling if you're so inclined.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:33 AM

^

Thanks for the link markh9. I particularly liked the arches that, per the article's old photo, were apparently even more numerous back when the whole complex was intact. (Guess I should try following Curbed a bit more now.)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
No time this morning to look it up, but I think newspaper boxes are placed wherever the distributor wants them, no license required. ...
Ouch, sounds like chaos.
Quote:
I had to laugh when I heard them calling it the "South Loop" location. It's at 15th & Ashland, 1.5 miles west of the river.
Yeah, I heard of the date from a flyer they mailed to someone in my family, and it proudly calls the store "South Loop Chicago". But what neighborhood is it, actually? Pilsitaly?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:01 PM
Urbane observer

^It's in The Valley.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 5:44 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew|W View Post
Two updates from South Michigan (taken this morning):

The rest of the facade is coming off 618 S. Michigan Ave. Pretty much a clean slate under there.
The old glass had a pattern applied to create an illusion of a dimensional window form.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
The old glass had a pattern applied to create an illusion of a dimensional window form.
I believe those are the mock-ups for the new facade, which will print the historic facade via frit pattern on a new curtainwall. It looks like they were testing a few different variations in the "dot" pattern.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 7:01 PM
TL;DR

Elston continues its slow decline into a suburban hellhole...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Elston continues its slow decline into a suburban hellhole...
Sad thing is, many Chicagoan's are perfectly okay with that. From a functional standpoint, that area performs very well for people who want to drive to shop as opposed to taking a train or bus downtown.

I mean you can still drive and park downtown and validate after purchase.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 4:59 PM

Burberry
Today

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 7:01 PM

^^^
I wonder if they will start to put some wraps over that and do a big unveiling or if we'll get to see the cladding as it goes on? Does anyone know whether they kept the building under wraps in Beijing (I believe that is the onlyw other one with this design)?
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development