HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I saw it on NTV, it was unanimous

They said too that there was opposition from residents etc... I HATE how they focus on that crap
I used to think unanimous meant really excited.

Anyhow, I'm very proud and pleased it was unanimous. It makes me feel much better about the results of our mayoral campaign, whichever way it goes.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Well done, St. John's .

Does anyone know where I may find a picture of the classical skyline view of downtown St. John's with an imposed rendering of this proposal?
Well, you wouldn't see this proposal in the classic downtown skyline view. It's outside the downtown in a mostly suburban area with a few other apartment/condo complexes. I'm sure architype will do a render for us of the "east end" skyline with this development when he gets around to it , but as for the classic skyline picture from signal hill, you won't see these buildings from there

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

But you would from Southside Hills! They're going to look like they're practically downtown from there.

The view of this area from Southside Hills (the hill in the foreground is downtown, the background is the cluster where these buildings will be located:

Old and New St. John's by Signal Hill Hiker Photography, on Flickr

And here would be the view from Signal Hill. As you can see, Townie's right about that view. They would be located at the extreme right side of this photo, among that same cluster of buildings:

The Whole Shebang by Signal Hill Hiker Photography, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I saw it on NTV, it was unanimous

They said too that there was opposition from residents etc... I HATE how they focus on that crap
Cbc never had a story on it, unless it was mentioned in the early edition. I think the reason NTV focuses on the negative of all developments is because most seniors watch NTV, and more younger people watch CBC. And not to be discriminatory, but I think NTV is giving their viewers what they want to hear

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Cbc never had a story on it, unless it was mentioned in the early edition. I think the reason NTV focuses on the negative of all developments is because most seniors watch NTV, and more younger people watch CBC. And not to be discriminatory, but I think NTV is giving their viewers what they want to hear
It's fair for NTV to mention the opposition toward this proposal, as long as they also mention the amount of support...

If NTV didn't...well, then, yes, that's suspicious.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:54 PM

So where this development was already approved years ago, and this is technically only a "text amendment", does that mean, to the best of our knowledge, that the developers can start construction at any time now?

(Obviously it will be a few months before construction starts, but my question is if the project is completely 100% approved or if there will be more public meetings and votes?)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 10:42 PM

Correction: CBC did do a story about the Tiffany Condos. No mention of foolish opposition, just that all council members agreed that it was an exciting and promising step for developments in the city and an opportunity to begin to tackle urban sprawl. Not a negative word was said!

This is why I prefer CBC over NTV!

(Here and Now is up online at cbc.ca/nl and the story is at the 17:00 mark, for those who might want to watch it)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 10:46 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Correction: CBC did do a story about the Tiffany Condos. No mention of foolish opposition, just that all council members agreed that it was an exciting and promising step for developments in the city and an opportunity to begin to tackle urban sprawl. Not a negative word was said!
Generally I find CBC's articles on their website(s) are straight and to the point, almost a summation of what's going on. The only time they pander away from this is when they're doing some human story or something that touches on human rights or civil workers or something. Anything usually pertaining to developments is straight forward.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
So where this development was already approved years ago, and this is technically only a "text amendment", does that mean, to the best of our knowledge, that the developers can start construction at any time now?

(Obviously it will be a few months before construction starts, but my question is if the project is completely 100% approved or if there will be more public meetings and votes?)
To the best of my knowledge, Townie, this development should be good to go. No public hearing needed since this was an amendment to the already approved proposal. I asked the same question today and a few people responded saying this would be the case.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Townie, this development should be good to go. No public hearing needed since this was an amendment to the already approved proposal. I asked the same question today and a few people responded saying this would be the case.
Okay, thanks! Good to know

Don't know if you guys already knew this, but Architype has made the diagrams for Tiffany Buildings B and C and they now show up in the St. John's diagram section right after Confederation Building and John Cabot Building

They look good, great job Architype! (Now if only we could have a new tallest building downtown...)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:24 PM

Sorry for posting in this thread so much.. but I was looking through Fortis Place's "Global Project" thread and I saw one of Signal's pictures where you will be able to get the west end of downtown as well as the Tiffany Condo site in the same shot! You can bring us Hilton/Deacon as well as Tiffany updates in just one picture!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:42 PM

^ If we could get another picture from this area that would show where Hilton and Deacon are going we could probably get a good future skyline render.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This is why I prefer CBC.
I prefer the CBC to any news network.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 2:19 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
^ If we could get another picture from this area that would show where Hilton and Deacon are going we could probably get a good future skyline render.
Signal will simply have to find a place where you can get a pic of all ongoing (and proposed) projects in one shot ! It can be done.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 2:30 AM

I suggest Signal save himself alot of time finding angles and climbing the southside hills by just getting his pilots license and buying a helicopter! I would be willing to chip in $10 if it meant free rides

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Signal will simply have to find a place where you can get a pic of all ongoing (and proposed) projects in one shot ! It can be done.
Basically what I was alluding too!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:28 AM

hopefully this will be a beacon for developers and will lift some of the fear of proposing buildings with some height... here's a little more on it

Twin Towers go over well

Quote:
St. John's city council unanimously voted in favour last night of making amendments to allow for the construction of two 16-storey towers as part of Tiffany Village.

The development was first approved by council in 2007. Since then, the plan has changed. KMK Properties now wants to build two 16-storey towers, with a combined total of 240 condo units. The towers would be linked by a parking garage.

There were a number of concerns over the development including increased traffic and the height of the two buildings, which will be extensively higher than what the zone allows. Councillor Debbie Hanlon says she welcomes the project, and traffic, though sure to increase, should not be an issue.

Hanlon says a traffic study was conducted and it showed that traffic would increase. But that study was done based on the original plan, and the new height should not impact that traffic study.

The amendments are now off to Municipal Affairs for approval before the city finalizes the plan.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31917&latest=1

When you think about it, these are actually the only twinned towers in the city .. cool

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 11:06 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:

I actually made a point to present this question to a few people I work with after it was raised yesterday, just to see if we were on the right track, and it seems that it is indeed the case. The general consensus, around my office anyway, is that they will be able to move forward now and there isn't really anything else they need aside from Municipal Affairs approval, but that isn't really anything to worry about.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd still consider the Cabot Place complex to be twins... aren't they?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'd still consider the Cabot Place complex to be twins... aren't they?
I mean real twins, like the double of the other not one shorter different colour, these will be our first identical twins hahaha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's