HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:39 PM
sick transit, gloria

As with many things I think the blowback is related more to implementation than the concepts themselves. Green programs that have a tangible economic benefit to the average Canadian would not be particularly controversial. Similarly if the development of our resources was undertaken in a manner where the benefits could be seen to actually have a positive impact on our standard of living.

And generally speaking a lot of these extreme views tend to calm down when the basics are adequately covered. It will only get worse if the trends in housing continue.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I would never vote for Mad Max and his unmerry band of xenophobes.
One has to pick between skyrocketing homelessness + reliable year-after-year real estate gains for the Landed Gentry, and being a massive-arrival-of-Fresh-New-Suckers-phobe. It's pretty much a binary situation -- can't escape nor deny the basic laws of Supply and Demand.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
We don't have a regular housing crisis based on supply & demand but rather a manufactured housing crisis brought about by successive gov't policies and particularly Trudeau.
It goes a lot farther back to Mulroney and Chretien and their pulling out of any sort of federal homebuilding programs. We're decades behind housing supply because of their neo-liberal policies.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I don't think the headline says extreme xenophobia is more popular than extreme green views. For one the Trudeau government is already implementing an extreme green platform. Purposely destroying our economy at the alter of climate change. I think we all see the undercurrent in the PPC but their actual platform was probably ahead of its time and is fairly mainstream at this point that we need a massive reduction in immigration. That is the only solution we will never build enough houses when we add a million people a year.

The PPC also benefitted from anti vaxxers more than anything.
Beats the Harper government goal of Purposely destroying our ecology at the alter of economic growth

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
One has to pick between skyrocketing homelessness + reliable year-after-year real estate gains for the Landed Gentry, and being a massive-arrival-of-Fresh-New-Suckers-phobe. It's pretty much a binary situation -- can't escape nor deny the basic laws of Supply and Demand.
What are you talking about?

And besides, based on your past pronouncements, you are probably voting Bloc rather than for Peevish Polyester or Mad Max. So don't try to lecture people on what you see as "black and white choices" apparently facing our country.

Xenophobia is absolutely a deal-killer for me (and it should be for every decent person).

From a PPC candidate:

And from another PPC candidate:

And from the man himself, back when Greta Thunberg was 15 years old:

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
What are you talking about?
I'm pointing out that the only way to "solve the housing crisis" (assuming of course that a housing crisis is a bug, rather than a feature, and therefore assuming that it's not true that the government wishes to make the housing crisis worse because a housing crisis is great -- which IMO is an incorrect assumption), is to become FNS-phobic.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Purposely destroying our economy at the alter of climate change.
Evidence of this supposed economic destruction?

Their choices have reduced quality of life for people. That doesn't mean the economy has suffered. And the links to environmental policies are even more tenuous. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I'll wait for yours.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
It goes a lot farther back to Mulroney and Chretien and their pulling out of any sort of federal homebuilding programs. We're decades behind housing supply because of their neo-liberal policies.
I agree which is why I said successive governments.

Trudeau has, however, made the situation exponentially worse by opening up the floodgates to immigration. Before his reign of terror, there was a general agreement between the Liberals and Tories that the population should roughly grow by 1% per year and that figure had been essentially followed thru on by both parties over the last 20 but then Trudeau came along and threw that convention straight out the window.

Before he came to power, Canadian home prices were over valued by not by the grotesque amount they are today. Most of the country was still affordable in both rentals and real estate outside of BC but BC has had a policy of making the province as exclusive as possible by ridiculous zoning and gov'ts that were more than willing to accept foreign money and money laundering into the housing market to keep the economy rolling.

Old Posted Today, 12:32 PM

I have repeatedly said on here that one of the biggest issues with the Greenbelt was that it was unconditional. And this example just highlights that:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada