HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Lightbulb Saint John, NB - Fantasy Projects

Inspired by the the Prime Minister's recent comments on getting more serious about building housing, including building on top of federally owned properties, such as post office and ports, and another poster's suggestion to start a thread dedicated to "fantasy" projects.

Video Link

Here's a wild one in response to the Prime Minister's suggestion. Build a skyscraper on top of the former AIM office building, on the West Side of Saint John, New Brunswick.

Not only would such a mega project for Saint John be massive shot in the arm to solve the housing crisis, and help revitalize the West Side, it would just look cool as hell, and create a lot of buzz for Saint John and Port Saint John.

Such a building could enhance the operational capabilities of the port, while alleviating the housing crisis. The port could utilize the bottom and top floors of the building for office space and operational usage, while the rest of the building would be residential.

Having a 360° birds eye view of the Port's West Side operations, along with the ability to see their other operations across the harbour, and even out into the Bay of Fundy would be a tremendously useful asset to their operations. Moreover, it would be a navigational aide for ships coming into the port.

Such a project could really put Port Saint John and the City of Saint John on the map, and it would be quite a symbolic final nail in AIM's coffin.

Here's the before:

and here's the after:

AIM's been in many people's back yard for far too long. I can't imagine there being any reasonable NIMBY opposition to a skyscraper being built on top of AIM's former office building, with the the port taking over the rest of the former AIM site to further expand their container footprint. I'd still like to see a little more of the former site given up for housing, but I thought I'd make a point with one really big building built on a really small portion of the AIM site.

As for who might fund such a project, there's quite a few options, but I think the guys over at DP World might know a few people involved in the construction of skyscrapers. But all three levels of government along with private investors could certainly turn such a proposal into reality.

Hope we can all keep on striving for bigger and bolder solutions for Saint John, and use this thread as a place to discuss some grand ideas and proposals that could one day be built in Saint John, Canada's original city.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:40 PM
Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Inspired by the the Prime Minister's recent comments on getting more serious about building housing, including building on top of federally owned properties, such as post office and ports, and another poster's suggestion to start a thread dedicated to "fantasy" projects.

Video Link

Here's a wild one in response to the Prime Minister's suggestion. Build a skyscraper on top of the former AIM office building, on the West Side of Saint John, New Brunswick.

Not only would such a mega project for Saint John be massive shot in the arm to solve the housing crisis, and help revitalize the West Side, it would just look cool as hell, and create a lot of buzz for Saint John and Port Saint John.

Such a building could enhance the operational capabilities of the port, while alleviating the housing crisis. The port could utilize the bottom and top floors of the building for office space and operational usage, while the rest of the building would be residential.

Having a 360° birds eye view of the Port's West Side operations, along with the ability to see their other operations across the harbour, and even out into the Bay of Fundy would be a tremendously useful asset to their operations. Moreover, it would be a navigational aide for ships coming into the port.

Such a project could really put Port Saint John and the City of Saint John on the map, and it would be quite a symbolic final nail in AIM's coffin.

Here's the before:

and here's the after:

AIM's been in many people's back yard for far too long. I can't imagine there being any reasonable NIMBY opposition to a skyscraper being built on top of AIM's former office building, with the the port taking over the rest of the former AIM site to further expand their container footprint. I'd still like to see a little more of the former site given up for housing, but I thought I'd make a point with one really big building built on a really small portion of the AIM site.

As for who might fund such a project, there's quite a few options, but I think the guys over at DP World might know a few people involved in the construction of skyscrapers. But all three levels of government along with private investors could certainly turn such a proposal into reality.

Hope we can all keep on striving for bigger and bolder solutions for Saint John, and use this thread as a place to discuss some grand ideas and proposals that could one day be built in Saint John, Canada's original city.
My friend I like the enthusiasm but there are 101 better uses for that site. Not to mention nobody's paying that new-build premium to live next to a working port.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
My friend I like the enthusiasm but there are 101 better uses for that site. Not to mention nobody's paying that new-build premium to live next to a working port.
Why would it have to be a premium price? It doesn’t necessarily have to be as architecturally spectacular as the John Hancock Center to fulfil the functions outlined above.

Also, people are literally paying a premium price to live at Blue Rock Court which is above an explosive garbage dump (AIM) or at three sisters across the harbour.

An expanded container port wouldn’t be even close to as disruptive as AIM was for decades. Plus, the sound deadening potential for a skyscraper is much greater.

The views of the Bay of Fundy would be spectacular, and would be well worth it. The rents could still be affordable, and would be expected if it was a federal owned project.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces