HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
I counted 1,995 official painted parking stalls in the front and rear of the Moncton Coliseum. Lets round that off to 2000 parking stalls.

People's 1960's mentality of having the luxury of parking in front of the door of their favorite mom&pop shop needs to change.

As previously mentioned, private lot owners have a huge opportunity to cash in. And I like MonctonRad's idea of outlawing the Boot Nazis and force the lot owners to fence & gate up their lots. The money they'll rake in with pay dividends quickly!
Last April I was in New England for a raptors/Celtics game in Boston, a concert in Lowell, AHL game in Manchester and Portland & a concert in Portland. I parked in private parking lots/garages in all of those cities except for Lowell which I parked in a city owned parking garage adjacent to the arena. Moncton needs to do the same thing. More close to home, look at Halifax as an example.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 9:51 PM

My only question is why, for people need to park right in front or within a minutes walk? For people who have the ability to walk, to bundle up, why is it such an issue? When as people did we become so lazy? In the end if we have parking right by the building then it will turn out exactly the same as the coliseum, people will show up for the game, they won't stop by the bars and shops and they will just leave, by forcing people to have to park throughout downtown, it lets people look around, shop, eat etc.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
My only question is why, for people need to park right in front or within a minutes walk? For people who have the ability to walk, to bundle up, why is it such an issue? When as people did we become so lazy? In the end if we have parking right by the building then it will turn out exactly the same as the coliseum, people will show up for the game, they won't stop by the bars and shops and they will just leave, by forcing people to have to park throughout downtown, it lets people look around, shop, eat etc.
Exactly, when I went to the Raptors Celtics game, I went a couple hours early, and had something to eat downtown. It could be the same here.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what we've been doing for over a decade. Drive to Montreal to see concerts, and leave the car parked at the hotel. Part of the excitement was to WALK the streets, shop, eat and drink.

Hopefully, people will have the same excitement here as well. It may take a while, but I am hopeful!

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 2:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I, like you, am hopeful and confident that the downtown location of the events centre will make a big difference to the restaurant/bar/hotel scene in the core. I'm particularly confident in this with regard to specialty sporting events and major concerts.

As far as Wildcats games themselves are concerned, I think your expectations need to be tempered. I'm a Wildcats season ticket holder, and I can personally vouch for the fact that a large portion of the regular seasons ticket base is composed by individuals older than 50, and ofter over 60 or even 70 years old.

These are the people who are grumbling about the downtown parking situation, and these are the people least likely to go to a bar or restaurant before or after a game. Many are on a fixed income, and all they want to do is go to the game, park in a reasonable distance from the arena and get out again after the game is over. Their concerns are legitimate. They are old, may be in poor health, and don't want to navigate treacherous sidewalks over a half dozen blocks in the middle of February to get to the game.

If the city (or the Wildcats organization) fails to listen to this segment of their clientele, there will be trouble. There are maybe 2,500-3,000 seasons ticket holders. If, say, half of them give up on going to games because there is too much hassle involved, this could make a big dent in the profitability of the Moncton Wildcats. These people aren't going to bicycle to games. The sprawling nature of the city means that most do not live in walking distance of the events centre. In all likelihood, most do not live near a bus route. The only option for them is the car, and if you are elderly, in poor health and/or with balance problems (like a lot of old people suffer with), a 5-6 block walk on slippery winter sidewalks is the last thing these people want to deal with.

The parking issue can't be ignored. To do so would be to perform a disservice to a large percentage of the potential users of the events centre. Moncton is not Toronto. We don't have subway stations and commuter rail right next to the stadium. All we have is a half assed bus system and taxis (which are expensive). If elderly Wildcats fans can't drive to the games, then they just won't go..........

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 2:52 AM

I completely understand that and I know quite a few elderly season ticket holders, I am referring to the people who can walk longer distances. My parents are both elderly and I know how hard it is on my mother more so than my father to walk long distances especially in the winter, also I know that you are correct in mentioning that the more elderly fans won't be heading out to the bars afterwards, but I'm sure some will like the idea of going out to dinner before hand. Parking of course is an issue for those who cannot walk long distances, but there is right across the tracks a large parking lot with what I read on here has a enough space for 1000 cars? All that needs to be done is create a proper under pass or pedway for pedestrians to get from the arena to the lot and then the problem is mostly solved. 1000 spots say 2 people per car that's 2000 people, that is almost all the season ticket holders and we all know that a large number of the elderly season ticket holders probably travel together (pure speculation on my part). Obviously though in the next two years someone is going to take advantage of this opportunity to build a parking garage on one of the lots... People just need to let things work itself out, because we have lots of time yet befor the building is finished. If they want to please season ticket holders, which ever parking structure gets built first and closest to the arena, (quick and easy parking and walking), then they should offer with the season tickets a chance to purchase a parking pass, so that season ticket holders get first pick of the main lot. That would then please the majority of the people who buy season tickets.

On a side note, quite a few of my close friends in the Moncton area, who have attending cats games, but never bought season tickets have now been considering it because of the location of the new arena, they love the idea of being able to attend a game and then go for drinks afterwards. Most of them have said that they have friends or clients who come to town and they would love to take them to games, but find its always been out of the way, but now it's in close distance to he hotels etc. So they can actually plan on taking them there. Basically I have only heard good things from people, some like You mention worry about parking, but most have only good feedback and are excited, some are even people who have never attended a card game, but now want to.

Last edited by Monctoncore; May 23, 2016 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 1:31 PM

Quote:

On a side note, quite a few of my close friends in the Moncton area, who have attending cats games, but never bought season tickets have now been considering it because of the location of the new arena, they love the idea of being able to attend a game and then go for drinks afterwards. Most of them have said that they have friends or clients who come to town and they would love to take them to games, but find its always been out of the way, but now it's in close distance to he hotels etc. So they can actually plan on taking them there. Basically I have only heard good things from people, some like You mention worry about parking, but most have only good feedback and are excited, some are even people who have never attended a card game, but now want to.
I sort of fall into this category. I live downtown, enjoy going to bars, restaurants, shows, concerts, sporting events, and often ride the Petitcodiac river trails on my mt-bike, former member of GoodLife - now Fit4less, put a lot of money into my home in renovations and upkeep, and so on.

I've only seen 1 maybe 2 Wildcats games, ever. Not because I don't like the game. Reason, I hate and totally detest going to see any events at the Coliseum. From the cramped hard plastic seats, poor air conditioning, crappy access, line ups, and the list goes on. With that said, I did go see my first NBL Miracle game during the payoffs. I bought front row floor tickets and was very impressed with the game.

I would have no problems dropping $450 for Wildcats season tickets in show of support. But not at the Coliseum. Same applies for the Miracles.

Meanwhile, me and my buddies will continue to drive to Montreal each year with $1000 each in entertainment money.

Built it, and I will come!

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I agree. When we lived in Saint John, my wife and I were Flames season ticket holders. We never parked at Harbour Station itself, instead choosing to park elsewhere in the uptown. We both liked the walk through the streets and pedway and quite frequently stopped to shop and eat.

On the other hand, we've been in the Moncton area for 11 years now and have gone to only one Wildcats game in that time. As stated before, the seats are cramped, and it's generally uncomfortable to watch a game there.

I'm sure we'll be attending games much more frequently when the arena is built.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:41 PM

Couple shots of the patios

Sure would be nice to see something in the vacant spots on robinson court. Lots of potential there.

I wonder if a Stillwells would work in Moncton? A lot of what stillwells does is already happening at Tide & Boar but craft beer has taken off so much that I don't think the Ceiling has been reached here in Moncton as far as business goes. Opening a small beer bar in the old Alehouse location with a nice sized patio would be a nice revitalization for that area.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:39 PM

I can see Robinson court changing in time, I find those areas seem to change a lot, I'm just hoping for like you said something more on the craft beer side, possibly even some more restaurants, Robinson court is ideal for patio season, sit outside have a beer/wine, eat... Hopefully we will see some change. Btw,the patios look good and the third glass looks good as well, I am just wondering if the underestimated the amount of people who will be looking to enjoy their establishment, it's dry cramped inside already and can get uncomfortably loud.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:11 AM

Quote:
I can see Robinson court changing in time, I find those areas seem to change a lot, I'm just hoping for like you said something more on the craft beer side, possibly even some more restaurants, Robinson court is ideal for patio season, sit outside have a beer/wine, eat... Hopefully we will see some change. Btw,the patios look good and the third glass looks good as well, I am just wondering if the underestimated the amount of people who will be looking to enjoy their establishment, it's dry cramped inside already and can get uncomfortably loud.
The patio definitely is a nice edition to the Wine Bar. I was only inside once before the warm weather hit and I agree it was abit loud and cramped but it also had a lot of energy. An vibe that was unusual to Moncton and felt more like something you'd experience in a big city. Every table was full and it was a Wednesday night. The patio likely gives it a little more of an open feel from the inside along with some much needed natural lighting.

While I feel as though Moncton has hit its quota in terms of dive bars (seems to be one at every corner. The "upscale market" has room to grow. A place like St James Gate being packed every night is proof of the demand there is in this city for upscale places to drink.

Another upscale option has recently been opened as well in MINT Tapas & Martini Lounge.

https://www.facebook.com/downtownmon...07257529344650

It has lebanese and seafood tapas. Curious how this place does in a very odd location on Weldon street.

You gotta figure those 2-3 open locations on Robinson Court on will become prime real estate the closer we get to the arena opening. Outside of anything added as part of the project these would be the closest locations coming out of the arena and heading down main street after an event. I hope whoever snatches those locations up decides to give those building an exterior facelift and not just throw a sign up on the outside of the door and hope for the best. Robinson Court has such a bad reputation in the city and the 2 bars mostly responsible for that aren't even open anymore.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:46 AM

Yes I can agree the atmosphere is great and I do hope that happens as well, there is so really ideal locations on main and Robinson down towards the arena that would be great locations for some higher end restaurants/bars, as well as some nice stores.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article in the T&T today about the possible relocation of the public library to MHS.

Chris Collins seems to be acting as the "point man" on this issue, which is curious since he is the Speaker of the house, and therefore supposedly impartial and not part of the government.

In any events, he has made it crystal clear that the Liberal government's preferred option (by far) is the MH35 proposal, and that the relocation of the library to MHS is considered vital. He even went so far as to suggest that the government is losing patience with the procrastination of city council and made a direct (not veiled, not oblique, not implied), yes, a direct threat that the provincial government is prepared to unilaterally relocate the library to MHS.

Basically, he is telling incoming mayor Dawn Arnold to (for want of a somewhat less politically correct phrase) go take a hike.

I am fairly neutral on the library issue. I can see the merits in both sides of the argument. The strong-arm tactics of the provincial government however I find offensive and unnecessary. This could backfire on Brian Gallant. I was leaning towards the arguments to relocate the library, but I could easily change my mind given the lack of respect shown for city council, the library board and the people of Moncton by the Liberal government.

Chris Collins had better be careful...........

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:58 PM

http://http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/c...rary-1.3597383

This story gives you good perspective into why some don't want it moved.. A lot of the reasons make sense, they mention that a lot of downtown workers use it on their lunch breaks etc.. Where if it's at MHS then suddenly it's no long within walking distance for almost all the people who work in the busiest section of Downtown.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is now construction fencing around the lot across from MHS where the new Zio's is going to be built. I expect action in the not too distant future.......

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:35 PM

No word on when reconstruction will start (I had heard March, which was obviously false), but Dolma Foods is expected to reopen this November.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...dres-novembre/

The article doesn't say much aside from the building being two stories; I had also heard that there would be apartments on the second floor (as it did before) and that there would be a rooftop terrace (don't know if still planned).

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
No word on when reconstruction will start (I had heard March, which was obviously false), but Dolma Foods is expected to reopen this November.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...dres-novembre/

The article doesn't say much aside from the building being two stories; I had also heard that there would be apartments on the second floor (as it did before) and that there would be a rooftop terrace (don't know if still planned).
Hopefully they get going on that soon then, because November is not that far away. I guess it's 6 month, but is that enough time?

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:32 PM

Locally owned lingerie shop going in between Colpitts and Banque Nationale.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:42 PM

Awesome news, not for male shoppers, but for the women it is, hopefully this is more of a sign of what's to come, stile , Colpitts and now a lingerie shop! Is there a name for the shop?

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:09 PM

Stop in and asked the painters. That's all I got from them.

Quote:
Awesome news, not for male shoppers, but for the women it is, hopefully this is more of a sign of what's to come, stile , Colpitts and now a lingerie shop! Is there a name for the shop?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces