Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 3:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | 230 Park Avenue receives new lighting scheme

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/51054

Light Show: Computer Controlled LED Lights Wash Park Avenue’s Helmsley Building

December 11, 2012
Branden Klayko

Quote:
On Monday, December 3, the “Jewel of Park Avenue” at 230 Park, aka The Helmsley Building, really began to sparkle as building-owner Monday Properties unveiled a new LED lighting display to a crowd huddled at the base of the building, staring upward with anticipation as rush hour traffic swirled around. Monday Properties President and CEO Anthony Westreich and Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer stood together to push a giant red button, officially triggering the light show, which flickered into action, turning heads of passers by for blocks around as a live violinist provided musical accompaniment.

Built in 1929, the 34-story tower stands guard over Park Avenue, terminating the street’s vista looking south on the same block as Grand Central Terminal, and is one of the only buildings in Manhattan that you can literally drive through, underneath monumental stone arches. Designed by the same architects as Grand Central—Warren & Wetmore—230 Park was originally the headquarters of the New York Central Railroad Company and features many rail-centric decorations inside the building’s ornate lobby.

230 Park has undergone an extensive renovation, bringing its 1.4 million square feet of office space into the 21st century and earning a LEED Gold certification. The new lighting scheme, designed by Al Borden of Philadelphia-based The Lighting Practice with LED lights by Lumenpulse, is part of the building’s sustainability program, Westreich noted at the lighting ceremony, reducing energy requirements by 70 percent from the high-pressure sodium lights they replaced.

“Our intent has been to give the building a lively nighttime appearance by reinterpreting its historic forms and proportions with concealed uplight sources,” Borden said in a statement. “During daylight hours, when downlit by the sun, the building’s architectural details have a familiar appearance. At night, we flip the source upside down and present a new way of looking at the building. People will see details very differently and have a new experience of the architecture.”

Overall, more than 700 color-changing LED lights have been installed on the building, hidden from view on the street. Each is programmed into a computer than can coordinate a fanciful light show, as was seen at the unveiling, or a simple static light wash at night. Dynamic light shows can be expected during special events and on holidays like the Fourth of July or Thanksgiving.

Video Link

Video Link

Bonus interior view

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:30 AM
TL;DR

That was awesome. They nailed it with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra there.

Now we just need to rip down that tacky MetLife sign.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Now we just need to rip down that tacky MetLife building.
Fixed

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:03 PM
Astorian

I saw them testing the scheme out last year but it was only the pillers at the top. I never imagined the entire building would be lit up! This is amazing, I saw some of the red and green light show on Saturday from Long Island City!

The building looks great!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:08 PM

Nice.

The dark Metlife building is like the canvas for this tower.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
Come As You Are

Come on, NYC doesn't need a light show. ESB has enough colour for all of NYC now.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 12:03 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I've got mixed feelings on things like this.

Lighting features like that can be stunning but I feel that some buildings shouldn't get the wacky colors. The Helmsley is one of my favorites in Manhattan - I'm a sucker for masonry and facades like that, particularly on buildings that magnificent, should have more conservative color schemes I feel.

Several buildings of the same vintage along Philadelphia's Broad Street have been lit that way for a few years now and while I like the lights sometimes the louder purples and pinks get to me. Fall hues I guess - reds, yellows, golds, white, maybe green - look better on them. Save the neon shades for younger facades.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Come on, NYC doesn't need a light show. ESB has enough colour for all of NYC now.
I agree. No show, just more lighting done tastefully, color or not. I don't mind as long as it doesn't appear crass. However, I don't agree the ESB is enough, it is not visible easily everywhere. Actually, it is far away from the more vibrant parts of the city. .

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 1:09 AM
New Yorker for life

I don't see anything wrong with a light show. It gets more people looking at a building that otherwise wouldn't be. Just as when buildings first began to be illuminated at night, it's another way of staying visible. But the general public doesn't really care about or appreciate these buildings. They're only lit up at night. Maybe it would appeal to some of you more if it were lit in one color, but I'm ok with it. I like the way different features are highlighted.

rjdibella

Tomoji-ized

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:31 AM
World Machine

I look forward to this every night when walking to Grand Central - very cool!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture