HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 3:07 AM

Atlantic Canada : Labour Force Survey Data

Unemployment rates - Feb 2010 to Feb 2011

•St. John's, N.L. 6.7 (7.1)
•Halifax 6.7 (6.7)
•Moncton, N.B. 8.1 (8.4)
Saint John, N.B. 6.6 (6.1)

Quote:
According to Service Canada's Labour Market Bulletin for February 2011, only the Saint John to St. Stephen economic region witnessed employment growth in the past 12 months. All other regions of the province saw a decline in total employment. In the Moncton region, the unemployment rate has spiked to 8.3 percent from 6.5 percent in just 12 months.
http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast....rticle/1389250

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 7:39 PM

VICTORY! 6-Lane Mackay Project Scrapped!

News Release
Transportation
Mackay Highway project amended
18 March 2011

FREDERICTON (CNB) – The following statement was issued today by Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Claude Williams in relation to the Mackay Highway project:

After serious consideration, our government has determined that the Mackay Highway expansion project will be amended. It is part of this government's mandate to review all capital projects to reduce costs. As a result of this review, we have concluded that the proposed widening of the Mackay Highway is not necessary at this time.

We anticipate that changes to this project will save taxpayers a significant amount of money. Department staff are working with Dexter Developer General Partnership and Dexter-Transfield Gateway Services, the companies responsible for the Route 1 Gateway Project, to finalize details of these changes.

Meanwhile, we will continue with measures that will reduce traffic congestion in this area. Upgrades will be made to the Route 111 interchange and selected ramps along the highway to improve access and safety for motorists.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/ne...1.03.0331.html

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 4:54 PM

Cancellation of the 6-lane highway is indeed great news, I must say I had a big grin on my face when that victory was announced.

Not the most interesting, but this photo shows some of the renderings for the new KV library

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 7:21 PM

A screenshot of the live feed of Harbourfront Residences. Seems to be coming along nicely these days!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:40 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Atlantic Canada : Labour Force Survey Data

Unemployment rates - Feb 2010 to Feb 2011

•St. John's, N.L. 6.7 (7.1)
•Halifax 6.7 (6.7)
•Moncton, N.B. 8.1 (8.4)
Saint John, N.B. 6.6 (6.1)

http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast....rticle/1389250
Not to be a nitpicker, because you know I dont like to start stuff...but the primary driving factor behind the unemployment rate stats you posted is that between Feb '10 and Feb '11 the Labour Force (people either working or wanting to) in Moncton grew by 1,500 whereas in Saint John it shrank by 2,700...The amount of "employed people" in Moncton grew from 68,500 to 68,600 (nil) and it shrank in Saint John from 65,000 to 63,400 (also nil)

Therefore there is essentially the same amount of job growth in both cities (neutral).

http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/lfss04a-eng.htm

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:20 AM

Noticed today that the section of the McAllister Place parking lot where the new Lawtons expansions is suppose to go, was taped off and fencing was starting to be erected.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Cancellation of the 6-lane highway is indeed great news, I must say I had a big grin on my face when that victory was announced.

Not the most interesting, but this photo shows some of the renderings for the new KV library

It is not very often that everyone agrees on the cancellation of a government project but it appears almost everyone agrees that this money is best spent in other ways. Hopefully the whole province can start to be more realistic in their needs so that the budget can be balanced.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:19 PM

Time for someone to change their name?

Funny/annoying how most people outside of Atlantic Canada don't know the difference between Saint John, NB and St. John’s, NFLD. It doesn't matter how much you correct them, they still can't get it right. Even the Government doesn’t know according to yesterday's Federal Budget:

...Other Budget Provisions Relevant to Infrastructure- The government also reaffirmed its commitment to moving ahead on the Peterborough-Toronto Rail Service and the refurbishment of the Saint-John’s Harbour, NB.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about our city but the Government will probably end up spending the money on the wrong harbour

I've met people that have accidentally flown to Newfoundland by accident, or planned a trip to The Rock to see icebergs and kiss the cod and ended up in NB. I'm tired of correcting people in Ontario and realizing how little people care about the east coast. I'd be in favour of one of us changing our names, with a slight inclination towards NFLD because as a kid, I always asked myself St. John's what?! How is that the name of a place?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:05 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

How about West Quispamsis?

jk...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
Funny/annoying how most people outside of Atlantic Canada don't know the difference between Saint John, NB and St. John’s, NFLD. It doesn't matter how much you correct them, they still can't get it right. Even the Government doesn’t know according to yesterday's Federal Budget:

...Other Budget Provisions Relevant to Infrastructure- The government also reaffirmed its commitment to moving ahead on the Peterborough-Toronto Rail Service and the refurbishment of the Saint-John’s Harbour, NB.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about our city but the Government will probably end up spending the money on the wrong harbour

I've met people that have accidentally flown to Newfoundland by accident, or planned a trip to The Rock to see icebergs and kiss the cod and ended up in NB. I'm tired of correcting people in Ontario and realizing how little people care about the east coast. I'd be in favour of one of us changing our names, with a slight inclination towards NFLD because as a kid, I always asked myself St. John's what?! How is that the name of a place?

It is comical. It is also the only reason people across the country actually know Saint John exist. Halifax and Saint john/s , lol.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Not to be a nitpicker, because you know I dont like to start stuff...but the primary driving factor behind the unemployment rate stats you posted is that between Feb '10 and Feb '11 the Labour Force (people either working or wanting to) in Moncton grew by 1,500 whereas in Saint John it shrank by 2,700...The amount of "employed people" in Moncton grew from 68,500 to 68,600 (nil) and it shrank in Saint John from 65,000 to 63,400 (also nil)

Therefore there is essentially the same amount of job growth in both cities (neutral).

http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/lfss04a-eng.htm
Will you Moncton people ever stop......I think you must have a huge inferiority complex.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 3:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
I've met people that have accidentally flown to Newfoundland by accident, or planned a trip to The Rock to see icebergs and kiss the cod and ended up in NB.
Not as bad as people heading for Sydney Australia and ending up in Sydney Nova Scotia...........that's happened a couple of times in the last several years.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:42 PM
ハルウララ

Very glad to hear that the expansion on the highway was scrapped. They will still be altering the Airport Exit in Rothesay, though. Apparently they're going to be creating a new entrance to the Irving so that vehicles are not exiting and entering the highway directly.

Also, I was driving down Water street towards King yesterday and there just seems to be an insane amount of work going on. The Harbourfront Condos are much taller than I was imagining from that side.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 3:07 AM

Brunswick Square and Delta Getting Revamped

Brunswick Square and the Delta will be getting a face-lift with Fortis Properties announcing millions of dollars in renovations.

Work will begin on the exterior of the building which will include upgrades to the main entrance and landscaping. There will also be improvements made to the inside of the building including new flooring and lighting.

The exterior renovations will be completed by the end of the summer.

http://www.country94.ca/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
It is comical. It is also the only reason people across the country actually know Saint John exist. Halifax and Saint john/s , lol.
Maybe Saint JOhn should change its name to Fort Howe or Fundy City

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Brunswick Square and Delta Getting Revamped

Brunswick Square and the Delta will be getting a face-lift with Fortis Properties announcing millions of dollars in renovations.

Work will begin on the exterior of the building which will include upgrades to the main entrance and landscaping. There will also be improvements made to the inside of the building including new flooring and lighting.

The exterior renovations will be completed by the end of the summer.

http://www.country94.ca/

This is great news! Living in the city for so long I tended to take Brunswick/Market square for granted however I have gained a new appreciation lately.

I have an infant daughter and every Saturday we take her uptown and we can park indoors, walk to the market, the mall, library, all without every going outside. Its great in the winter with little ones.

Secondly I have been going to all of the Mill Rats games and again, we can park indoors, walk the pedway to get to Harbour Station, great on rainy nights for anyone.

Thirdly, I attended some of the Provincial High School Championship basketball games and that was even better. All of the teams were able to stay at hotels within the complex and walk the pedway down to Harbour Station. They had all of the kids pictures/rosters on the walls, it was really cool.

We have the potential for one of the very best downtown's in the entire country and with the upcoming projects, we are really starting to capitalize.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 10:41 PM

Has anyone seen any renderings?

Multimillion dollar renovation underway at Brunswick Square
Published Monday March 28th, 2011
C1
mike mullen
telegraph-journaL

SAINT JOHN - It's been close to a quarter century since the retail portion of the Brunswick Square/Delta Brunswick hotel complex has undergone a major facelift.

Paulette Hicks is the general manager of Brunswick Square where Bird Construction has begun working on a multimillion renovation project. Work will be done on the interior and exterior.

But that's all about to change.

Fortis Properties, which purchased the complex in 2001, is quickly moving ahead with a multimillion exterior and interior renovation project announced last week to "enhance the operating environment for Brunswick Square retailers and increase convenience for customers," Paulette Hicks, the property's general manager, said.

Bird Construction, hired to do the exterior work, including new entranceways, has had its workers on site since March 17, while washroom upgrades - the first part of the interior facelift - are scheduled to get underway in four to six weeks.

Hicks said Fortis Properties is prepared to spend a "minimum of $6 to $8 million, but with more dollars to be accessed" to upgrade and modernize the three levels of retail. And, she added, a separate announcement involving the hotel portion of the complex, on which $2 million in room upgrades has already been carried out, is expected in roughly two weeks.

She said the retail project demonstrates Fortis Properties is invested here for the long haul.

"They recognize that Brunswick Square is a key amenity in the uptown core and it is a significant asset in the portfolio," she said. "And their investment aligns with the strategic growth strategy of the City of Saint John."

The exterior of Brunswick Square is the "key focus" of the retail renovations.

"Obviously, we are tying it into the cruise ship business to make this a draw for the cruise ship passengers who come into the uptown core," she said.

"Specifically, there will be new entrances and redesign of the façade," she said. "There are changes to the architectural design, lighting, new signage and a new main entrance (at the) entrance currently located between Pizza Hut and The Running Room.

"Currently, the complex has a number of entrances, but no one feels like a sense of arrival," she said. "I think this new rendition will make us feel we have a new main entrance to Brunswick Square.

"Our goal is to have more of a sense of arrival - that you've reached a retail centre."

The work will begin on the King Street façade of the building before moving around the building onto Germain Street.

Hicks said the goal is to have the exterior work carried out by summer's end while, in the process, maintaining "very minimal" disruption to customers.

While the washroom upgrade will commence this spring, Hicks said other portions of the interior upgrade will begin in the fall. "And we're looking at modern colours, decor, new flooring, ceiling, lighting and electrical fixtures," she said. "There is no exact time line on when we will be finished."

Hicks said the last major upgrade took place in 1987, with the opening of Level 3 to retail.

"We are certainly hoping the investment will attract more retailers to the uptown core, and as well, be pleasing to our customers," she said.

"It is also going to enhance the city overall," Hicks said. "Fortis Properties has been a great community supporter and believes in this community, and there is a responsibility for the landlord to invest in this key asset in order of Saint John to be successful.

"We are looking at the vision of where Saint John is going and the mix of the uptown core changing with condominium living, and more residential, in the uptown core."

----

Name: Brunswick Square Shopping Centre
Opened doors: Nov. 16, 1977
Current owner: Fortis Properties (since 2001)
Expansion: Level 3 retail, 1987
Addition: Level 1 food court, 1990.
Square feet (retail): Close to 150,000
Number of shops: Roughly 60
2011 renovation costs: A minimum of $6 to $8 million

Planned exterior changes: Redesign, entranceways, lighting, signage (by end of summer)
Exterior contractor: Bird Construction
Planned interior changes: Washrooms, colours, decor, lighting, flooring, ceilings, electrical fixtures (no fixed completion date)
Interior contractor: Various
Other components: Delta Brunswick Hotel, Chipman Hill Parking Garage (700 cars), One Brunswick Square office tower

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 7:26 PM

Maritime Rivalry Goes Down To The Wire

03/26/2011 12:00 AM

A playoff spot may come down to the final basket – on the final moment – of the final game.And for the two teams in that final contest – the Saint John (N.B.) Mill Rats and the Halifax (N.S.) Rainmen – it is a rivalry that has grown from a simmer to a heated boil this season.

In the Premier Basketball League, the top four teams advance to the postseason.Three spots have been claimed, by the Lawton-Fort Sill (Okla.) Cavalry, the Quebec Kebs, and the Rochester (N.Y.) RazorSharks.Halifax and Saint John, both sporting 8-9 records, each have three games remaining to claim that fourth and final berth.The Rainmen host the Dayton Air Strikers Friday, March 25th at the Halifax MetroCentre; while the Mill Rats welcome the Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry to Harbour Station on Sunday, May 27.

Then both teams must play each other in the last two regularly-scheduled games – a home-and-home series with the first game on March 29th at Saint John; and the final contest March 31st in Halifax.Both teams have played each other four times; each team has won twice against the other.

The Rainmen, in their third PBL season, could return to the playoffs for the second consecutive season.Halifax’s roster includes PBL rebounding king Eric Crookshank, who currently averages a league-high 11.8 boards per game; 3-point expert marksman and NBA veteran Desmond Ferguson; and scorers Kavon Jones, Marshall Brown and Taliek Brown.

The Mill Rats franchise could make a postseason appearance for the first time since 2009, when the team was based in Manchester (N.H.).The Mill Rats, coached by former NBA player Jaren Jackson, are paced by the team’s leading scorer Anthony Anderson (19.9 ppg), and PBL first-round draft pick Marc Egerson (18.5 ppg).

If, at the end of the season, both teams remain tied with both a league won-loss record and a head-to-head won-loss record, the final tiebreaker will be total margin of victory in head-to-head games.In the four games both teams have played, the Rainmen currently hold an eight-point advantage over the Mill Rats.

Postseason scenarios will be updated as the games progress.

The four teams will each participate in a best-of-three semifinal round; Quebec will visit Rochester for Game 1; then the RazorSharks will travel to Canada and play the Kebs in Games 2 and 3 (if necessary).The Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry will stay in Canada and play the #4 seed – Halifax or Saint John – for Game 1, then will host Games 2 and 3.The two teams who win the semifinal round will play against each other in a best of three final to determine the 2011 PBL Champion.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 12:47 PM

Big announcement this morning concerning an upcoming visit in the city. Stay tuned...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 1:51 PM
ハルウララ

SAINT JOHN - A backhoe clawed into the roof a fire-damaged north end building Wednesday morning, scraping away layers of siding, wood and filth.

With every dig of the backhoe's arm, the old apartment building was reduced the rubble.

"It should have been gone long ago," said Allan Manuel, a neighbour watching the demolition from the street, as Gulf Operators workers monitored the falling debris.

"It's pretty spooky when you look out your window and see the building next door on fire."

The demolition of 16 Elgin St. - a vacant building plagued by several suspicious fires over the past couple of years - was the start of some "tough love" from the Saint John Fire Department.

It was one of the first buildings to be demolished as a result of a fire marshal's order, powers the fire department has just started to enforce in an effort to tackle the dangerous vacant buildings in the city.

"That's what we're using now is tough love," said Gerald Green, the district fire chief of fire prevention.

Up till now, the fire department has encouraged property owners to fix up their derelict buildings, and was hesitant to issue orders. Not any more.

As agents of the provincial fire marshal, Green said he and his officers have issued six notices for dangerous vacant buildings to be demolished in Saint John.

A building at 287 Charlotte St. in the south end was the first, and Green says there will be more orders to come.

The fire department is carefully monitoring a list of 120 vacant buildings in the city, and it has real concerns for about 25 to 30 of them, he said.

"You don't want to see things being demolished. I'd rather see things being built," he said.

"But from the fire department's perspective, we're just trying to keep people safe, and we're trying to do our small part to revitalize the community we all live in here."

Vacant building fires are not only dangerous for buildings in close proximity, but for the firefighters working in unstable conditions.

Once the department issues a fire marshal's order, the property owner has a right to appeal it, as one owner has done with a Bryden Street apartment, also in the north end. If the fire marshal upholds the ruling, and the owner still doesn't comply, the issue can go before a provincial court judge.

But so far, all the property owners have complied, paying for the demolitions themselves, Green said.

Some have even demolished buildings without being ordered to - including developer John Rocca, who took down his property at the corner of Golding and Waterloo streets, Green said. Another building came down on Albert Street Wednesday with no prodding from the fire department.

"People are realizing they need to do something," he said. "They own these buildings and they need to do something with them."

The recent push on using the Fire Prevention Act and fire marshal's orders to demolish buildings came after Local Government Minister Bruce Fitch encouraged city officials to use powers they already have to deal with the dangerous, vacant buildings.

Common council has been pressuring the provincial Conservatives to pass stronger legislation that would broaden the definition of what derelict buildings could be torn down. But there are no guarantees on when it could hit the legislature floor.

As the number of fires in vacant buildings continue to climb, the fire department realized it had to act.

"There was no teeth, and that was our fault," Green said. "We had these tools, but we weren't using them."

He said when Fitch encouraged use of the Fire Prevention Act, that was when Green felt "a kick in the pants" to end the warnings and start issuing orders.

Coun. Peter McGuire, a proponent of the city's stronger derelict buildings bylaw, said it's "outstanding" to see the buildings come down.

"When you put good people in the same direction you get results," he said. "I'm extremely pleased. ... It's not an issue of who wins or how quickly."

The real victory, he said, will be to see those vacant lots redeveloped with new construction.

Coun. Donnie Snook said he was pleased to see the movement from the fire department because he has been talking to the department about how it could help.

"Our focus has been new legislation, but clearly there's a role here for the fire department as well in addressing these buildings," he said.

Meanwhile, the fire department continues to monitor "hundreds" of other dangerous, inhabited apartment buildings. The fire officials will also be writing more fire marshal's orders related to violations in those buildings as well, Green said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces