HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Can you tell me, where is the actual transmitting antenna? Does the entire spire structure actually transmit radio waves, or is the antenna itself located inside the spire element?
The antennae are the dishes that will be place on the comm ring, and the rings on the spire. The mast itself is not an antenna

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:07 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
I for one could give two shits about the height! It's the appearance that matters most to me! That being said I will wait for the final product before I put it on blast or not.
Thank god I'm not the only one who will wait until it's 100% complete until passing judgement of this magnificent tower.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesfaninUT View Post
Yes, Spires are maintained everyday around the world. But this is no ordinary spire. It would be almost impossible to hoist those panels from the plaza without a crane. It is also against the city rigging and hoisting codes to maintain it the way they were proposing to do. You can argue all you want but would you want to be that high in the air trying to hoist a panel that far without a crane. I wouldn't want to. There's to much liability and risk involved.
Thanks, Durst. Glad to know you are on top of things.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:53 AM

The claddings are almost touching!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:07 AM

I'm glad that woman is so blase' about being 1700+ feet in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:10 AM
Mr. Technology

That model looks like she is not phased about being at the highest point in the city (but (of course), it was an illustrative measurement of the massive size of the top section of the spire).

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:54 AM

She's standing in mid-air too. The female version of David Blaine!!!!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:02 AM

the new base glass looks good
anybody know how it will be lit up??
i guess LED lights of sort is built into the glass

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Thanks, Durst. Glad to know you are on top of things.
It seems that the architect of the tower was not on top of these issues when he designed it. Poor execution to not foresee that massive design flaw before the process got far along.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
It seems that the architect of the tower was not on top of these issues when he designed it. Poor execution to not foresee that massive design flaw before the process got far along.
This is entirely false.
Architects work hand-in-hand with engineers throughout the course of the design process. For example, the architect designs a structure, and the engineers figure out how to do it; or they return to the architect to tell them that it has to be changed.
Obviously they wouldn't proceed with construction of the tower until the vast majority of the engineering portion of the project was complete

The ONLY reason that the spire lost the radome was for money.

Also, where has Carlos been?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 7:56 AM
Gigatall Skyscraper

Quote:
Yes, Spires are maintained everyday around the world. But this is no ordinary spire. It would be almost impossible to hoist those panels from the plaza without a crane. It is also against the city rigging and hoisting codes to maintain it the way they were proposing to do. You can argue all you want but would you want to be that high in the air trying to hoist a panel that far without a crane. I wouldn't want to. There's to much liability and risk involved.
I'd imagine the radome pieces are small enough to transport inside the elevators.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
Actually, a radome IS an asthetic "sheet" thrown over the spire. Look at the naked spire in the pic below... it hasn't changed... they just removed the "sheet":
Absolutely ridiculous. The radome covering was a design element, which was it's intent from the beginning. That you can say the design hasn't changed leaves me to believe you've never looked at it.

Various versions:

Quote:
Yes, Spires are maintained everyday around the world. But this is no ordinary spire. It would be almost impossible to hoist those panels from the plaza without a crane.

All of the discussion about maintainence of the radome is besides the point of the antenna being the mess they are now building. I keep repeating it, but I guess I have to. The original plan for the spire was to be open. Radome was later added as a "protection". Now, whether you consider the open design or the radome covered design, in either case it was a design element that enclosed the antenna. Somehow that is lost in the discussion here.

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/...w-and-improved

Quote:
“The building is remarkably the same as the one I unveiled a year ago,” Childs said, but he stressed three significant design refinements since then. The building’s antenna, for example, will be constructed as a closed form; Childs and collaborator Kenneth Snelson originally proposed an open latticework. This final iteration features a lozenge shape that tapers to a point, and the web-like frame is slightly visible underneath it. Childs said the iconographic element will still have the quality of lightness, and suggested that it would be programmed with light displays and other dynamic features.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/28/ny...pagewanted=all

Quote:
The last 408 feet of the tower's height would be a white structure, clad in fiberglass composite panels, with a gentle convex curve in the middle. Designed in collaboration with the sculptor Kenneth Snelson, it would hide a bristling forest of antennas.

More equipment would be hidden within a halo-like circular structure, 145 feet in diameter, close to the base of the spire. The entire ensemble will be illuminated, Mr. Childs said, with light-emitting diodes and floodlights.

http://www.wtc.com/about/freedom-tow...-center-design

Quote:
The crown of 1 World Trade Center is the 408-foot antenna, which will consist of a mast and a communication platform ring. The mast will be protected by a one-of-a-kind fiberglass panel system that will resist wind loading, and create a protected maintenance area. At the base of the mast, a tetrahedral lattice ring will support media transmission equipment and brace eight radio-frequency transparent Kevlar guy cables that support the mast. When lit at night, a beacon at the top will send out a horizontal light beam that can be seen from miles away.
Anthony Quintano

Mitch Waxman

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
I've been 1200 feet in the air assembling towers with a gin pole. You don't need a crane. You just need a winch attached to the tower to hoist large components up. How do you think they build, repair and maintain 2000 foot radio towers? Codes are changed because of structures that didn't exist when the codes were written all the time.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:35 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
the new base glass looks good
anybody know how it will be lit up??
i guess LED lights of sort is built into the glass

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:49 PM

I dont think they ever planned to have the radome be part of the antenna. It was all a ruse to get the state and federal government to pay more for the tower because it it was going to be a symbol, coming at a cheesy 1776 feet. Had everyone known since 2005 that the intention was to build a tower 1360 feet then add an antenna as opposed to a spire there would have been an enormous uproar. so they waited til the tower was just about complete, when emotions about the WTB have cooled to announce that now it was too expensive to make the radome a reality...personally, im not buying it

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:09 PM
Mr. Technology

Very interesting opinion there, H-man.

Unless you know someone who was part of the decision-making discussions, then all you can do is speculate.

Personally, I don't care about the design of this spire.
The only thing this spire does is mimic the spire that was on top of the original north tower.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:25 PM
Back to Basics

Durst just embarrasses himself amongst architects, developers and engineers, all who have built and maintained structures of exactly the same size and use around the world. By saying it is impossible, it makes him look like a fool.

As pointed out many times in this thread, the CN Tower has a fiberglass radome over its antenna reaching to 1815 feet. It was not put in place by a crane but hauled up in pieces using the elevators and external hoists. (The cranes had already been dismantled by the time the radome went up.)

Furthermore, that radome has stood for nearly 40 years without damage nor major repair needed.

This post keeps showing up no matter how many times the subject comes up:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 6:38 PM

Correct me if wrong, but it seems like this is the current base progress:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. The radome covering was a design element, which was it's intent from the beginning. That you can say the design hasn't changed leaves me to believe you've never looked at it.
The design of the spire structure itself hasn't changed as you can clearly see in the left image in this picture from years ago:

The only thing that has changed is that the fiberglass covering was ditched.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive