HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 4:02 PM
Illustrator

A question about the new diagrams guidelines

In the new guidelines, one of the rules states that drawings are not allowed to contain:
  • Reflections, whether they be of clouds, buildings, or anything.
I remember the last time I read the guidelines it said not to include excessive reflections, but they were still allowed if used in moderation.

However, the new rules sound as if reflections in general are prohibited
Many illustrators include reflections in their drawings, and it helps give the illustration that glassy feel. Plus thousands of illustrations already contain reflections.

So basically are reflections completely banned, or are we still allowed to use them in moderation like before?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 11:12 PM
Website Manager

Reflections of light is okay, it's reflections of other objects which isn't allowed anymore.

I've amended this to
  • Reflections of objects, whether they be of clouds, buildings, or anything (reflection of sunlight is okay)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 3:13 AM
Fourth and Main

I like to add white and gray to the blue windows to create a more realistic glass. I want my drawings to look exactly like the photographs I'm working from. Are these window colors banned under the cloud rules? I recently stopped working on a drawing for a 50+ storey glass building, after reading this. If I can't make it look real, I'm not sure if I want to finish it and this could lead to me submitting fewer glass structures. Please reconsider and allow us to add clouds, if they are not excessive. Some cities rarely have clear skies and drawing the building under those conditions is very inaccurate. Adding white and grays to the windows do create very real-looking diagrams. Clouds are also a great way to show curved glass. It's challenging to attempt those. Also, some buildings have reflective glass and others have glass that isn't as reflective and clouds allow us to show this in the drawing. Please don't allow one or two illustrators, who go too far, to ruin this for everyone else. I think 95%+ of my glass drawings have clouds!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 8:43 AM

my early diagrams were put many cloud on the wall,especially glass-box building. I thought this is the way make the diagrams more realistic. Now I realized cloud is not the only way make it realistic, but it still is a good option.
Someone's diagrams reflect the cloud excessively and looks very unreal. but someone's diagrams dosn't reflect anything and looks bored. after all this is everybody's creativity. Everyone want his diagrams better, and the meantime learning how make it better.
So please reconsider and allow us to add cloud. and this is hard to definition cloud and sunlight or anything on the wall
after all It is all about the creativity.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 4:58 PM
Website Manager

I see your point. My intent was to prohibit drawings with a reflection of billowing clouds on them. Your drawings have more like a lighting effect. I'll change the regulations to prohibit only excessive cloud reflections.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 5:37 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
I see your point. My intent was to prohibit drawings with a reflection of billowing clouds on them. Your drawings have more like a lighting effect. I'll change the regulations to prohibit only excessive cloud reflections.
Yes, I agree. It will remain in the purview of the approving editor to make the call whether or not it is deemed excessive.

Flickr®

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams