HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 4:29 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Jesus, it was obviously an attempt at humour.
well you always seem to have a harsh judgement about something it seems, although I'm sure you are quite rightly sick of hearing about stupid Americans from stupid Canadians.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 4:38 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
"Taco in a bag" is supposed to be made with fritos. Stupid Canadians.
Can we even buy Fritos in Canada?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 5:31 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Now I'm depressed.

Has anybody tried Ichi Raku Izakaya? It's on 6th Ave by Jonas- was once a little sandwich shop. I've heard good things.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 6:23 PM
Here and There

Quote:
innersoul- I had the best pulled pork sammie I've ever had on Thursday and it was, believe it or not, at a coffeehouse. Insomnia. They serve it on folded flatbread which does a good job of not falling apart. Melts in your mouth. A "whole" is massive and is all of $6.50. One of the best deals I've encountered in this city. Insomnia is open Saturdays all summer from 9-2 btw. They're in the Burns Bldg on the corner of Stephen Ave and Macleod- exterior entrance, NOT baraka or the shawarma place (the latter is great, the former is absolutely horrible).

Couple of Stephen Ave trucks/carts of note: First, "burger planet" or whatever it's called=huge disappointment. They have "bbq" and "taco" FLAVOURED burgers meaning they're pre-seasoned. Who pre-"seasons" burgers? Ah yes, M&M Meat Shops. The patties are clearly from M&M and it shows. Perfectly fucked up great-smelling burgers. Avoid.

But there's gloriousness too, namely in a Belgian waffle (or "wafel" in Flemish) cart called "Wanna Wafel." They sell only one thing, a "Liege" wafel which is raised, finished on an iron and it has a sweet (but not too sweet) somewhat chewy crust embedded with beet sugar and a fluffy interior. It's AMAZING. $4 and you don't have to fly to Belgium.
Wanna wafel is a rip off. They are about 4 x 4 inches for $4.00 and there is never a line up anymore. The most I would pay is $2.00 for those tiny little things.

I am going to trythe insomnia pulled pork soon.

Deville coffee also does a pulled pork for 9.00.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:
innersoul- I had the best pulled pork sammie I've ever had on Thursday and it was, believe it or not, at a coffeehouse. Insomnia. They serve it on folded flatbread which does a good job of not falling apart. Melts in your mouth. A "whole" is massive and is all of $6.50. One of the best deals I've encountered in this city. Insomnia is open Saturdays all summer from 9-2 btw. They're in the Burns Bldg on the corner of Stephen Ave and Macleod- exterior entrance, NOT baraka or the shawarma place (the latter is great, the former is absolutely horrible).
I tried the pulled pork from Insomnia last week - it was definitely tasty. Not sure what your definition of 'massive' is but it sure wasn't 'massive' by my definition. I'd put it around the same size as the typical panini from Jugo Juice or Artigiano. Regardless of size, it was very good.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 8:59 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
I tried the pulled pork from Insomnia last week - it was definitely tasty. Not sure what your definition of 'massive' is but it sure wasn't 'massive' by my definition. I'd put it around the same size as the typical panini from Jugo Juice or Artigiano. Regardless of size, it was very good.
You're right- the first one I had was made on a thick-ish flatbread that made for two big halves and it was amazing value. Second one was on tortilla and not nearly as substantial. Still tasty but rather disappointing.

KW- we'll have to agree to disagree. I think $4 is fine for such a unique and tasty treat.

Last edited by Rusty van Reddick; Jul 19, 2011 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
pretty much old dutch bbq cornchips from what I remember. I left California 5 years ago so my memory might be a bit hazy.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Wanna wafel is a rip off. They are about 4 x 4 inches for $4.00 and there is never a line up anymore. The most I would pay is $2.00 for those tiny little things.

I am going to trythe insomnia pulled pork soon.

Deville coffee also does a pulled pork for 9.00.
I have always wanted to try a wanna wafel, everytime I walk by it was closed though. Glad it has since been franchised to Calgary, maybe I will have better luck trying that one than the original one in Victoria.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 1:26 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Now I'm depressed.

Has anybody tried Ichi Raku Izakaya? It's on 6th Ave by Jonas- was once a little sandwich shop. I've heard good things.
Just noticed it there the other day! Very curious!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 2:07 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Just spent the past week in Seattle. Now that we have the little one PF Changs a couple of times for a quick lunch....wish we had one in Calgary.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 3:10 PM

Fritos - Oh yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
pretty much old dutch bbq cornchips from what I remember. I left California 5 years ago so my memory might be a bit hazy.
Yes you sure can buy Fritos corn chips here in Canada. There's a small convenience store in my lobby that sells them (the plain ones, which are the best IMHO), and I grab one every couple of months when I'm craving a bit of salt.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Just spent the past week in Seattle. Now that we have the little one PF Changs a couple of times for a quick lunch....wish we had one in Calgary.
I'm not sure if I went to a brutal PF Changs for the first time but when I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago, I went to the one in Planet Hollywood. I wasn't a huge fan as they just seem to dowse everything with salt. Not sure if that's how all of them are or just the one I went to. Was it the same in Seattle?

Btw, what did you think of Seattle? That city is incredible. Did you visit Pike's Place Market?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 3:20 PM

Salty Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscape_enthusiast View Post
I'm not sure if I went to a brutal PF Changs for the first time but when I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago, I went to the one in Planet Hollywood. I wasn't a huge fan as they just seem to dowse everything with salt. Not sure if that's how all of them are or just the one I went to. Was it the same in Seattle?

Btw, what did you think of Seattle? That city is incredible. Did you visit Pike's Place Market?
Yeah, I've been to PF Changs in LA, Nashville and Vegas, and yeah while the food was nice, it definitely was on the salty side of things.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Just noticed it there the other day! Very curious!
Ichi Raku is pretty good. They have okonomiyake (cabbage pancake-like dish) which is the only place i know of that serves it. It's excellent. If you've never had it you owe yourself to try it! (Try the seafood one!)

Izakaya menu is definitely better than their sushi. Don't eat the grilled pike its the worst tasting fish i've ever had. Everything else that i tried was excellent tho.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 10:54 PM

Sushi Kawa on 4th also serves okonomiyaki (or at least, it did the last time I was there, it's been a while.)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 11:04 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscape_enthusiast View Post

I would suggest that you are right on the saltiness of food at PF Changs. I suppose it is a nice place to go when I am on Vacation. Particularly in Seattle as the sere Mac& Jacks beer. Plus the kids steamed veggies for $3 is perfect for my 16 month old.

I LOVE Seattle. I normally make it down there about twice a year as we have close friends who live there. It's one of the few American cities I have been to that I would like to live in. Amazing diversity and SO MANY fantastic places to eat. Plus, Sounders FC games are truly something to behold. Yes, I did go to the Market. I always like to buy a bouquet of flowers from there (for those of you who haven't been they seel bouquets that would cost around $50 in Calgary for $10). Then I head down to Post Alley to deposit my gum on the wall.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 12:00 AM
Home of Hyperchange

I personally find most American food to be way too salty to begin with, especially after I've stopped salting my own food. (Side note: now almost everything tastes salty as all hell, which is actually a huge plus for someone who loves the taste of salt as much as I do).

PF Changs still sticks in my brain as saltier than normal though, which is saying something.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
I just got an email from one of my hardcore beergeek friends/coworkers regarding Craft. He said this:

Oh well. Maybe the Libertine will actually pull it off. Basically a really great beer pub has to be owned and run by beer geeks to be any good in my opinion. The Hop in Brew has overall had a better beer list for years than Craft, and they do it with 12 taps. The staff can also make basic suggestions.

Old posting, but I do like the beer menu
http://www.thelibertine.ca/wp-conten...rtine_Beer.pdf

We drank copious pitchers of Lemon Tea Wheat Beer in Toronto, good stuff on a warm patio. And they appear to have one homemade beer, and it's an IPA.. and they have some chipotle beer from Portland!

Now if I could just find some boneshaker ipa here.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
I have always wanted to try a wanna wafel, everytime I walk by it was closed though. Glad it has since been franchised to Calgary, maybe I will have better luck trying that one than the original one in Victoria.
There were at the Folk Fest this weekend. I stood in line for one on Thursday but gave up as they took too long. They seemed to have gotten their shit together by Saturday but I ended up passing on them as $4.00 did seem a little pricey for the portion size. Looks like a lot of people felt the same as it wasn't that busy.

If he'd drop his price to $3.00 or even $3.50 business probably would have been a bit better.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:08 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
There were at the Folk Fest this weekend. I stood in line for one on Thursday but gave up as they took too long. They seemed to have gotten their shit together by Saturday but I ended up passing on them as $4.00 did seem a little pricey for the portion size. Looks like a lot of people felt the same as it wasn't that busy.

If he'd drop his price to $3.00 or even $3.50 business probably would have been a bit better.
According to their website, the one corporate store in Victoria charges $3.58, tax included.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation