HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 5:41 AM

Not sure of the streets... but in NE by The Overlook restaurant, there is an entire block of houses boarded up near the max stop on interstate. This is near the Archiform office and that buffalo wing bbq place. Looked like all of those houses were about to be torn down.

Anyone know what's going on there?

Also, a small crane and some large concrete sections up on NE MLK. Again, not sure of the exact cross street but it has to be the only crane and concrete going up directly on MLK.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 6:23 AM

the djc reports on a newly proposed 5-story mixed-use project at 2625 E Burnside. portlandonline.com doesn't have a pre-app conference notice available yet, though djc says there is one.

here's a link to the property's permit list on portlandmaps.com.

here's a link to the story in the djc.

Five-story, mixed-use building planned for Kerns

POSTED: 04:00 AM PDT Wednesday, September 10, 2008
BY DJC STAFF

SERA Architects has applied for a pre-application conference for a proposed five-story, mixed-use building in the Kerns neighborhood.
The project, to be located at 2625 E. Burnside St., is being developed by Opus Northwest and would include 124 housing units, ground-floor retail and an at-grade parking structure with 70 parking spaces. Twenty-five dwelling units on the second floor would surround a landscaped courtyard with a spa, and the top three floors would include 33 units.
The conference will be held at the Bureau of Development Services, 1900 S.W. Fourth Ave., Fourth Floor, Room 4a, on Oct. 1 at 3 p.m.

More info from Neighborhoodnotes.com:

Five Story Mixed-Use Building Proposed in Kerns

Opus Northwest is proposing the demolition of the former Wells Fargo building at 2625 E. Burnside and intends to replace the surface lot and one-story structure with a five-story, mixed-use building containing 124 dwelling units and ground floor retail. An at-grade parking structure will accommodate 70 vehicles. Sera Architects is the applicant for the pre-application conference.

The residential units will likely be market-rate apartments.

Download the Notice of Pre-Application Conference for 2625 E. Burnside.

Last edited by bvpcvm; Sep 11, 2008 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:05 AM

Glad to see the project on Burnside.. especially with the low parking ratio.. hopefully they'll charge for parking separately from the unit so owners/renters don't need to subsidize someone else's driving addiction.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:29 PM

Z-haus is completed and on the market

http://www.z-haus.net/

it's an interesting project, pretty well-executed

unfortunately a bit overpriced, especially for the Section 8 housing block across the street. They're huge, 2800 sf, 4 bedrooms each. Very unusual layouts with half stairs and staggered rooms.

I wish they had have broken up the front facade, even set one of the duplexes back from the other or something.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 11:18 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowat View Post
Z-haus is completed and on the market

http://www.z-haus.net/

it's an interesting project, pretty well-executed

unfortunately a bit overpriced, especially for the Section 8 housing block across the street. They're huge, 2800 sf, 4 bedrooms each. Very unusual layouts with half stairs and staggered rooms.

I wish they had have broken up the front facade, even set one of the duplexes back from the other or something.
Actually they are 3,300 sq ft because they have a 500 sq ft garage underneath.

Thats really massive!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post

The new Providence campus is a huge construction zone
Is that the big construction going on by the 24 hr. fitness?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 12:39 AM

This is a small infill project that hasn't gotten much, if any, notice, but is a cool example of preserving the shell of an old building while building higher (what folks were suggesting for the Rosefriend/Ladd, only on a smaller scale obviously). Who knows what the finished product will look like materials-wise, probably crappy, but you never know. I see some corrugated steel siding in there... It's at NE MLK and Morgan.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 11:33 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
This is a small infill project that hasn't gotten much, if any, notice, but is a cool example of preserving the shell of an old building while building higher (what folks were suggesting for the Rosefriend/Ladd, only on a smaller scale obviously). Who knows what the finished product will look like materials-wise, probably crappy, but you never know. I see some corrugated steel siding in there... It's at NE MLK and Morgan.

This does it. I am totally, 100% convinced that architects should build UP at the main commercial side's street edge, just go vertical. Why the hell do they have a setback there? Instead, there is a huge vertical wall next to the shorter houses.

Scale?!? Hello?!?! Hasn't anyone ever heard of a streetwall? Someone needs to go on a trip to Europe. Even the Congress for the New Urbanism (not really my biggest cup of tea, but) has design guidelines that talk about how to create outdoor rooms and edges for wide street corridors. Hint: the trick is to reinforce, not try to dissolve, the edges.

Like.. Paris! We really need some good courtyard buildings. These 3+1s/4+1s/5+1s are going to have horrible "views" just like in Seattle in a few years: maybe 5 feet till the next building.

As an aside - I should post pictures of the house I live in sometime - we have windows that face the house nextdoor maybe 8 feet away. No light gets in!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 2:12 PM

I'm not exactly sure what the rationale was for that project to not simply build up, though I suspect it's structural. I don't think you can have 3 floors of exterior materials sitting on a layer of bricks barely able to support itself. The other factor, of course, is money. Perhaps you can do a steel skeleton inside the brick wall to support the upper stories, but for a 3-4 story building, especially in this neck of our woods, that type of construction isn't supported by the market. At least the roof above the first floor of commercial can become an awesome deck for the lowest floor of residential..

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
This does it. I am totally, 100% convinced that architects should build UP at the main commercial side's street edge, just go vertical. Why the hell do they have a setback there? Instead, there is a huge vertical wall next to the shorter houses.

These 3+1s/4+1s/5+1s are going to have horrible "views" just like in Seattle in a few years: maybe 5 feet till the next building.
I'm struggling to understand the geometry of what you're talking about here... Are you saying that you would prefer it if the walls of the upper floors were extended all the way out to where the walls of the ground floor are? How does that improve the views and light into the neighboring shorter buildings?

Personally, I have always liked buildings that look like someone built a new structure on the rooftop of an older building. That setback could make space for some really nice 2nd-floor terraces...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 12:26 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

You know, I may have spoken too soon. I think I need to see this one in person, but it reminds me of the building near Division and 45th. Abuts residential too harshly.

What I meant, tho, was to do the setbacks between residential units so you don't create dark alleys between the buildings. I'm not sure how much the above building steps back from MLK, but I wish they wouldn't - zero setbacks from major streets build streetwalls.

here's what I mean by setbacks:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:36 PM

Oh, I see ... You would rather have the setback on the sides that adjoin shorter houses, instead of having the setback on the side that faces the street. Now it makes more sense to me.

The "staircase" in your sketch would make for some killer terraces - though I suspect that developers would rather make straight walls all the way up because they can build more units. Now that the boom is fading, maybe we'll see more appealing designs instead of simply maximizing $/sq ft designs...

I suspect that Red_PDXer is right about why they built it this way (with the setback facing the street). The new part of the building is probably entirely freestanding, and the old part is probably just a braced-up wall. If they wanted to build a zero-setback streetfront, they probably would have needed to demolish the old building entirely...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 10:13 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ very true. There are other projects that have taken on a similar massing, while not being constricted by building on an older building. I should take some pictures of them...

Architecturally and visually, strong wall-to-wall buildings along a major street that establish a streetwall does a lot towards giving it that urban feeling, and can be accomplished easily with midrise buildings. I'm hoping...

The stair-stepping would help keep the pressure off of developers by appeasing owners of houses, and allow those sites to be easily redeveloped, too.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 12:07 AM

Not exactly architecture-related, but a nice review of NE Alberta Street district in the NYT Travel section

excerpt:
Quote:
Much of the district’s commercial awakening can be traced to Roslyn Hill, a civic-minded landlord who began snapping up the street’s hodgepodge of cement-block and wood buildings in the early 1990s and renting them to gallery operators and designers. Ms. Hill laid down new rules: no metal bars on windows and no locked doors during business hours.

“I told my renters, ‘You have to interact with the community,’ ” she said. The formula seems to have worked. By 1997, galleries began sponsoring monthly art walks — now organized by the nonprofit Art on Alberta (www.artonalberta.org) — and the momentum hasn’t stopped.
full article:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/02/01...cing.html?8dpc

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 3:52 PM

A new six-story office building in Hollywood district is under construction. Here's a link to the permits page.

http://www.portlandmaps.com/detail.c...&seg_id=160005

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden352 View Post
A new six-story office building in Hollywood district is under construction. Here's a link to the permits page.

coño. 809 parking spots! Maybe they shoud move MAX stop closer to Providence instead and have a 2nd Hollywood stop closer to 33 rd, maybe with a lid over the Banfield between 28th and 39th.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 5:37 PM

^ has the site been demoed already. There is/was some warehouse type building on that site.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 6:51 PM

^ Looks like this was going to be a Home Depot, but will now be a medical office.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Rich View Post
^ Looks like this was going to be a Home Depot, but will now be a medical office.

it was indeed planned to be a home despot, several years back. the plan was actually pretty good - underground parking, home depot, and then 5 floors of housing above. however, the neighborhood went nuts. honestly, i'd rather go to hollywood for spackle at 8:30pm than drive to mall 205. anyway, the neighborhood argued that the increase in traffic would be unbearable, and home depot backed down.

so instead we get another providence medical office and a second parking garage.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 12:39 AM

Has this project been seen before, and does anyone have information on it?

From Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects
http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/projec...dvcnk9b3RiIzE1

King-Parks – Portland , Oregon

Services Employed: Architectural Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design

CLIENT: Tom Walsh & Company

CLIENT GOAL: Design a mixed-use housing project that will attract young creative services workers and serve as a community gateway and catalyst for positive change in a gritty urban neighborhood.

DESIGN RESPONSE: The site plan includes two mixed-use buildings with ground floor retail and market rate loft housing above; a stand alone retail pavilion, a public plaza and sixteen affordable row houses. The retail faces Martin Luther King Boulevard, the neighborhood’s main street, creating an active pedestrian edge. The two mixed-use buildings anchor the corners of the project along the north and south ends of the site. The loft units are designed to provide access to natural light from two sides, one public and the other facing a private outdoor space. The lofts range from 700 to 1200 square, making them affordable for young buyers, but they feel larger due to an open plan, interesting, sculptural spaces, high ceilings and floor to ceiling windows that provide abundant natural light. The middle retail/restaurant building is set up as a gathering place in the center of the development, with a plaza that allows outdoor seating and a playful adjacent green space for visitors, residents and families to gather.

The affordable row houses are oriented along the north, west and south edges of the site. Each unit is provided with a front entry stoop along with a more private outdoor deck space. All row-house units are linked together in groups of four and have access to a commons area. Unit plans were designed to be flexible and accommodate singles, roommates or families. Options for bunk beds and shared bathrooms are provided to respond to ever changing households and even larger families if needed.

Simple materials were used in the mixed-use and retail buildings, with sealed concrete block along the main street providing privacy and sound attenuation, balanced by large expanses of glass capturing north and south light and heavy timber structural elements. Affordable housing units are wood frame with wood siding.

Sustainable design strategies that are being explored include stormwater collection, permeable pavers, operable windows, shading devices on glazing and recycled wood timbers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland