HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 9:19 PM
Sanity merchant

I saw that guy getting hugs...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 10:10 PM

The Bongo Drum guy was also there at the Clarence/Dufferin entrance to the park, but he was playing a xylophone rather than a bongo drum.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 5:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^did he play any better or worse? (vs. bongos)

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
I don't even bother with TV news, period. It's all pretty watered-down stuff and doesn't really give a detailed analysis. But A-Channel is particularly bad; I usually just come to SSP's Local London to get any important local news.
I know I'm late coming to this particular party here, but I just had to throw in my two cents' worth. A-channel news sucks, and so do all the rest, regardless of which network or channel they're on.

I cut my cable connection a long time ago and never looked back, because virtually everything on TV now is absolute swill. I mean, why pay $70+ per month for that shit? A lot of people are doing the same thing, and when you see Robbers, er, Rogers starting to cut their prices, you know Rogers is running scared. I predict more of the same in the future as people get wise and start looking for other media alternatives.

I get better, more accurate and detailed news coverage via the Internet, anyway. TV news as it currently exists is so old-school.

But I wish there were more quality entertainment venues available on the net beyond Netflix and Youtube.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^did he play any better or worse? (vs. bongos)
I'd say about the same. He was quite good at the xylophone.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 7:34 PM
User Registered

Well it looks like London will have another tax freeze.

This time at the expense of taking money away from low-income housing. In a city that is economically recessive, this makes no sense to me.

Joe's campaign was for a tax freeze, but only as long as growth, both economically and population-based, could keep up with growing municipal expenses.

London has lost economic output and our growth between the 2006 and 2011 censuses was low. Thus, the tax freeze should not have been implemented in my mind.

...Also, whatever happened to the 10,000 jobs Joe promised as well? The amount of time in his term as mayor is getting shorter with little progress on this front. He better find a way to deliver on this promise, and quick.

Thoughts?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 9:46 PM

10,000 jobs? He might as well as said 100,000 new jobs. He has very little control over the world economy and manufacturing, which affects London. London would do well to just maintain its employment for the next few years.

Having said this, I think Joe has done fine. Compare him to the cheerleader AMDB and he is much better. I can't imagine having her for another term. At least Joe has a desire for London to be a better city. Regarding the tax freeze, he ran on the tax freeze and he is delivering. Unfortunately, I don't think that the freeze is what London really needs. We need big vision transportation solutions and we need to make London the cultural centre for SWO. We need to totally curb the big box crap too.

Anyways, my two cents worth (from Bath, UK).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 10:42 PM
User Registered

I have no argument against Joe as mayor, in fact I think that he is doing a great job. I don't even want to think about where our city would be today at AMDB at the healm, just the fact that you mentioned her name alone makes me cringe.

I am just stating that the promises laid out by Joe's mayoral campaign may negatively impact our city based on the current situation our city is in. No one likes it when you fail do deliver your election promises, but at least you have your reasons and you have the 'balls' to admit to the public/media why you are not going through with it.

Delivering on your election promises for political gain in the short-term at the expense of jeopardizing the state of the city is ethically wrong. Things change, including things out of your control. That's life, and if you don't try to adapt to the change, you could fail. I want our city to be a successful place to live and do business, just like everyone else who calls London home.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 10:52 PM

Fontana's main platform plank is a 4 year tax freeze. It's a case of good politics over good policy (ala GST cut), while additional money that could be used for economic redevelopment that would create jobs (though nowhere near 10,000) someone would be able to shit all over him if he broke the tax increase promise in next election. I agree at least Fontana has a vision and direction he wants London to go, unlike AMDB who had bland, neutral and colourless plans for London.

However Fontana is sorta limited though to more less lobbying senior government and private business for addition investment/development. With the tax freeze, he can't really add any new revenues to pay for programs or redevelopment, and cutting existing programs gets the special interests groups up in arms over cuts.

Personally I think London (and other cities) are in too many programs/initiatives that are outside of the realm of municipal governments. Bread and butter local issues like transportation, infrastructure improvement that helps attract business are abandoned or marginalized for special/fringe interest groups. If the city eliminated frills and focused on basics, perhaps more money would be available for useful, needed programs!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 2:03 AM
User Registered

I agree 100%.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 4:10 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
However Fontana is sorta limited though to more less lobbying senior government and private business for addition investment/development. With the tax freeze, he can't really add any new revenues to pay for programs or redevelopment, and cutting existing programs gets the special interests groups up in arms over cuts.
London is finally discovering what it feels like to be Toronto. It has a municipal government that overextended itself and is worrying about everything except its core mandate. Once the government realized what it needs to do to right the situation, everyone with a loudspeaker comes in to file some sort of objection. Anyone remember the drama over Toronto's proposed cuts?

Spot-on post, by the way.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 9:07 PM

Fontana's Fall

Looks like our honourable mayor is under serious scrutiny over paying his sons wedding reception with his MP expense account in 2005.

Also Fontana's response is laughable. Either you did pay for your sons wedding with your MP expense account or you didn't. Pretty Simple.

Quote:
“I do not want to deal in speculation or innuendo or rumours,” he said. “I want to deal with the facts.”
http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/19/pr...nts-on-fontana

Too bad I like Fontana, think he had a decent vision. But if these allegations are true his political career is done, with possible criminal charges.

Last edited by Pimpmasterdac; Oct 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Sorry state of affairs. What is it; he can't remember if he billed the wedding expenses to the Canadian people? Resignation is in the air. But please, do not come back, AMdeC-B.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Sorry state of affairs. What is it; he can't remember if he billed the wedding expenses to the Canadian people? Resignation is in the air. But please, do not come back, AMdeC-B.
Between Joe Fontana and Rob Ford, this could be an interesting few months in Ontario municipal politics.

If Fontana is forced to step down, who could replace him? It would likely fall to one of the existing Councillors. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Joe Swan or Paul Vanmeerbergen, who are now seasoned Council members, take over the Mayor's chair. I don't think Anne Marie DeCicco-Best is coming back.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 8:56 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Between Joe Fontana and Rob Ford, this could be an interesting few months in Ontario municipal politics.

If Fontana is forced to step down, who could replace him? It would likely fall to one of the existing Councillors. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Joe Swan or Paul Vanmeerbergen, who are now seasoned Council members, take over the Mayor's chair. I don't think Anne Marie DeCicco-Best is coming back.
I wouldn't mind Van Meerbergen, he seems halfway smart. If the Witch-Queen of Angmar decides to make a return, SSP better make damn sure it has Haljackey's election campaign set up.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 12:11 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
I wouldn't mind Van Meerbergen, he seems halfway smart. If the Witch-Queen of Angmar decides to make a return, SSP better make damn sure it has Haljackey's election campaign set up.
lololololol

I live in Van Meerbergen's ward so I could take over as councilor here should he run for mayor

The deputy mayor would take over Joe's duties should he be forced to resign or gets impeached.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
lololololol

I live in Van Meerbergen's ward so I could take over as councilor here should he run for mayor

The deputy mayor would take over Joe's duties should he be forced to resign or gets impeached.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought London no longer had a Deputy Mayor, because of the abolition of the Board of Control. I had thought the head of the Board of Control automatically was designated as the Deputy Mayor.

As far as I can tell today it's just the Mayor and 14 Councillors.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:40 AM

Council has 3 acting mayors that rotate on their position. If Fontana were to resign it be a vote among the council, some of which are already angling for that..

That being said 1) unfortunately there's no mechanism for impeachment unless Fontana is convicted of a crime. He could legally innocent but morally guilty and no one could do anything. 2) Fontana has already responded...
Quote:
My preliminary review of the documents and financial statements currently available to me clearly indicates a personal payment made to the Marconi Club during the time frame in question
http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/21/th...atement-sunday
How can someone have a preliminary review!? It's fairly simple, call your bank(s), look for a large payment ~$18,000 in 2005. If they find it then yes you paid yourself, then show your statement case closed. If no, they you owe a good explanation.

IMO Fontana looks cooked, if he were innocent you would clear the air ASAP not pussyfoot around. Why wait so long and let the rumors and innuendo circulate?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

No doubt, should the allegations prove true, it is the end of the road for Joe Camel. Quite frankly, such fraudulent use of public monies should entail jail.

Instead of a complete tax freeze (which I like but I know is not sustainable), I would prefer to have increases pegged to inflation. Otherwise taxpayers just get nickel-and-dimed on fees. And stop subsidizing business tax rates...this race to the bottom is unwinnable.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

National Exposure (House of Commons) for Fontana's Weddinggate:
Quote:
London Free Press Oct 22/12
Questions flew in Parliament Friday after The Free Press reported government cheques were used to pay for the wedding reception of ex-Liberal minister Joe Fontana’s son seven years ago.

A Conservative backbencher from London, Susan Truppe, who fielded the questions, confirmed in the House of Commons the RCMP are handling the investigation.

“We trust the experienced officers of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to get to the bottom of this very serious matter and determine whether any taxpayers’ money was abused by the former senior Liberal cabinet minister,” the London North Centre MP said during Question Period.

Read more here:
http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/19/qu...-of-mayors-son

Say it ain't so, Joe please, say it ain't so.
Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy