HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Circular bridge

I came across this bridge article and thought the concept was interesting. The bridge was purposefully made circular for two reasons. Firstly, to cause people to slow down, and secondly, to allow people to enjoy the beauty of that spot. Reminded me of the gondola proposal for the university to foothills loop, where not only would it make for better transit, but would also allow people to enjoy the beauty of our city, the river valley and the mountains in the distance. Not always about just the 1st degree function.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...-built-7254555

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
The tip out is 5%, which means that if you tip 10%, the server gets 5% and the other staff split 5%. If you tip 5%, the server gets nothing, and the other staff split 5%. If you tip zero, the server pays the 5% out of pocket. I have had nights when co-workers basically served a huge party for the whole night (say 20 people), got stiffed on the bill and went home losing money that night.

The other frustration is gift cards. People forget that you tip on the total, not the net balance after the gift card payment. If your bill is $120, and you pay $100 with a gift card and then just tip on the balance (say $3 on the $20), the server just lost $3.

You also have to account for the fact that everyone else in the restaurant makes more in hourly wages than servers. Servers almost everywhere (at least in my experience) make minimum wage.

And now we are completely off topic. Sorry guys.
Not to derail the construction thread any longer, but this post raised a question for me. With the increase in minimum wage coming, is the expectation that the minimum percentage tip will decrease?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 8:19 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Not to derail the construction thread any longer, but this post raised a question for me. With the increase in minimum wage coming, is the expectation that the minimum percentage tip will decrease?
Likely not.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 8:29 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
For me it almost certainly will. Not a huge amount but I will likely scale back the amount I tip slightly as minimum wage goes up.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:00 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Can anyone offer their advice or experience? Thanks!
I heard that Red Arrow provides a pretty good business service. I took a Greyhound from Valleyview (one hour east of Grande Prairie) to Edmonton one weekend and found it to be very convenient.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:05 PM

Red Arrow has a mid-budget flanker service called E-Bus. Both will drop you off less than 10 minutes walking distance from the legislature.

If it is still open (and when it is, it is only open for lunch), this little C-Store has the best Korean japchae. That is if your MLA isn't taking you out for lunch, in which case I would suggest The Common.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Thank you for the suggestions! I looked up the eBus, and it looks like the earliest one won't get me there in time.

Red Arrow's site was confusing, and it looks like it is about $150, so I may not do that.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a parking-lot that is relatively accessible from the south, and close to an LRT station? I don't mind paying a reasonable rate.

Not sure about what is happening for lunch, but I like the sound of both of your suggestions, MalcolmTucker. I'll keep those in mind. Thanks!
Call your MLA - they have (or had when I worked there) a budget for travel for constituents that their staff might not even know about! Even covering half would make Red Arrow reasonable.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:45 PM
Suburban dweller

Turns out MEC is looking at not one but two new locations in Calgary.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3684746

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:38 AM

Fantastic news, I'm glad that rumour of one at Paskapoo turned out to be true - the Seton one is a surprise though. These are much more practical locations for the majority of the city's population.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Fantastic news, I'm glad that rumour of one at Paskapoo turned out to be true - the Seton one is a surprise though. These are much more practical locations for the majority of the city's population.
Seton makes some sense, lots of people in south Calgary use 22x to get out to Bragg Creek and Kananaskis and points west, and this isn't too far off that. This store can service Okotoks and High River too.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:59 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Not sure how the junction of Deerfoot Trail and the ring road is an impractical location. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the southern half of Calgary who both own cars and like to look like they do outdoor activities.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:04 PM
Suburban dweller

As MEC said themselves, being a Co-op means they know where everyone of their members lives and what they buy so they must have some pretty solid numbers that tell them enough members live in south Calgary and surrounding area to make a go of a new store. One question I have is that many of their current stores were built to fairly high environmental standards. It will be interesting to see if these new stores are also build the same way or will just be part of the regular commercial development in the area and the buildings built to whatever standard those are.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:30 PM
Suburban dweller

results for the latest census are out. I don't see another thread so I will post here but feel free to move this discussion to a more appropriate place.

Highlights are the city still grew but it was all due to natural growth. More people actually left the city than came here and more alarming is the swing was about 31 000 people compared to last year. ~25 000 people moved here in 2015, over 6500 people left in 2016. I would expect this trend to continue in the near future.

http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...6-Results.aspx

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 10:31 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Seton makes some sense, lots of people in south Calgary use 22x to get out to Bragg Creek and Kananaskis and points west, and this isn't too far off that. This store can service Okotoks and High River too.
Good call, Seton is only about 15 mins from dt Okotoks and 30 mins from dt High River

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
Not sure how the junction of Deerfoot Trail and the ring road is an impractical location. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the southern half of Calgary who both own cars and like to look like they do outdoor activities.
Sorry, reading my post again I see why it wasn't clear. I just meant I was surprised to hear of the Seton store as I already knew of the NW one, but both new locations are more practical for lots of people than the downtown location. If the Seton one is close to the Green Line, then even better.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 2:11 PM

Has anyone had to go to the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service before? Or experience with shady landlords?

Landlord has not followed through with the conditions of our lease (to repair damages) and now as we have moved out because the terms aren't met - however he claims that we did the damages and isn't returning the deposit. I have a copy of my walk-in, but no walk-out was provided to me.

Now, his holding company for the building uses a PO Box in Bragg Creek, and I would be unable to serve documents to him, as I don't know his actual address... Any suggestions or advice from someone who's dealt with something like this before?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 2:34 PM

You know who is unexpectedly good at helping you navigate a government process like this? Your MLA's office.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 3:48 PM

Anyone else think it's bullshit that CBC published an article which suggests that construction in Calgary has ground to a halt, with cranes sitting idle in the sky? Thirty seconds of research would show that all of these cranes are active, especially the two in the featured picture. I won't even get into his insulting psychological evaluation of the city. Absolute shit article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...turn-1.3543420

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 5:14 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Yep, pretty stupid

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 2:56 AM

It won't lead if it don't bleed! Obviously written from someone very removed from the Calgary scene.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation