HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Quoted above - it says "extensions" - plural - and cites the 104th, Fraser Hwy and King George Hwy "corridors" - plural.
Ah. Thanks. I think I equated Province's news release with the newspaper when I looked through the first time.

This is what I was hoping to hear
Quote:
Originally Posted by prendergast
Based on experience and on what we’ve already heard from community leaders and the public, it’s clear that our wisest course now is to make a minimum number of assumptions and develop the greatest number of options on the way to making the best possible decisions about our future rapid transit services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge
thats why whatever they build should be a line unique to surrey and langely with transfers onto the expo line

same as why UBC should be unique to Vancouver with transfers
That's not what I mean really. I think there should be a regional system that's much faster than skytrain, like an s-bahn or rer or go (once it gets around to upgrading its lines), that's well integrated with skytrain and future lrt lines. I'll post a map in the thread.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
oI'm also a little concerned about operating issues on such a long line. A long delay in Surrey would be felt in Vancouver soon after. This already happens on the Expo line. People aren't going to be riding this end to end anyway (it would be too slow), and Surrey Central is as good a place as any to start a new line.
That's always bothered me, too. In fact, if I were a Vancouverite looking forward to, say, a metro line through east Van and North Burnaby, or an (A)LRT down Arbutus, or a permanent streetcar line from Granville Island to Stanley Park, I might be a tad resentful of the region's use of such expensive technology for such a sparsely populated corridor - ie. Fleetwood to Langley. Methinks that, while many in Langley and Surrey would love it, the rest of Greater Vancouver would not be terribly drawn to the idea. Conversely, suburbanites would almost certainly be more understanding if the big city got priority for metro technology.

There's always that interurban line that would work fantastically for connecting urban centers that are so far apart. On top of the other benefits, it would connect Cloverdale to the system as well, which I'm assuming would otherwise be bypassed by Skytrain.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 6:03 AM

Here it is.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:25 AM

i like the way its planed to curve cause it give the chance to have more station with in what they want as a core of surrey people are lazy if they have a chance to take a skytrain that short they'll do it
also people who think its dumb of skytrain going out to langley is dumb they need to remember they are trying to make surrey a metro thus meaning people from langley could get to surrey for work or vise versa
its not all about vancouver these days

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
i like the way its planed to curve cause it give the chance to have more station with in what they want as a core of surrey people are lazy if they have a chance to take a skytrain that short they'll do it
also people who think its dumb of skytrain going out to langley is dumb they need to remember they are trying to make surrey a metro thus meaning people from langley could get to surrey for work or vise versa

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:42 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

It's about using the right technology for a given area... and for sure a SkyTrain to Langley is not the best use of money and resources. LRT, which could be easily done in the South of Fraser, is a much better solution.
  1. Cost Benefits - it's much cheaper to build LRT
  2. Implementation - it's easier to implement LRT into the South of Fraser than in Vancouver: fewer traffic lights & major intersections, fewer pedestrian signals, etc. increases the speed of LRT. There's also a lot more room in Surrey.
  3. Coverage - you can build a lot more LRT than SkyTrain

Like you said, people traveling between Langley to Surrey. So that means it's a separate line can be used... meaning we don't have to be stuck with SkyTrain now.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:44 AM

same with UBC

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:53 AM

personally i liked to see both lrt and skytrain for surrey
cause an mainly the lrt to abby and maybe even chilliwack down the line and it could do sort of like what the west coast does for vancouver and bring even more people to surrey for work to make it more metro like

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:54 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
same with UBC
Doesn't work that way. With current ridership numbers and projections, the Broadway corridor deserves a high speed rapid transit that matches with the rest of the system. Unlike the South of Fraser, where people inside the South of Fraser travel within the region, there are many different people traveling into the Broadway corridor. We aren't just talking about UBC commuters from Coquitlam, we are also talking about doctors, businessmen, and all sorts of workers from different parts of the region.

Vancouver isn't laid out like the rest of the region. We've discussed this before: Vancouver uses a grid road system whereas most other municipalities use the the cul de sac system and only the major arterials run vertically and horizontally. With less side streets entering the major arterials, you have less pedestrian signals/crossings.

To be honest, Surrey's road network isn't exactly pedestrian friendly; it's more designed for cars and trucks. Adding a surface rapid transit solution to the Surrey roads will improve the overall pedestrian atmosphere. Roads will be required to be redesigned for transit and for pedestrians... whereas with SkyTrain, it doesn't have to be.

What we desperately need in Surrey is more coverage, and I'm sure all of Surrey's transit users would agree (namely Paul Hillsdon). LRT is the way to go. Vancouver's transit isn't the best, but it's far better than what we have in Surrey. We don't need coverage... we have lots of that with many of the buses now part of the FTN. As a Vancouver resident, I much rather have money dedicated solely to the Millennium Line extension rather than getting a tram down 49th that won't take me any faster than it is right now.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
same with UBC
Says the person living in Coquitlam.

Interesting how the people who support LRT on Broadway live nowhere near the city or the corridor.....spongeg, ssiguy, corrigan.....or are complete academic white collar, ivory tower farces.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 10:26 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG
Falcon's extension plan runs down 100th not 104th

nope...104th...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.X2
...Back in January Premier Gordon Campbell unveiled his $14 billion transportation plan for the region, and said a 6 kilometre extension of the Expo Line to Guildford would be completed by the year 2020. Falcon said an expanded line would likely continue along 104th Avenue, down 152nd Street to the Fraser Highway and end at 168th Street...

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 10:29 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Interesting how the people who support LRT on Broadway live nowhere near the city or the corridor.....spongeg, ssiguy, corrigan.....or are complete academic white collar, ivory tower farces.
perhaps i'm one of those people who doesn't live in the corridor or the city, and supports an extension down Broadway. however, I would be affected by an extension, as it would shave about half an hour off my girlfriend's commute time as she works on Broadway at Bayswater.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Doesn't work that way. With current ridership numbers and projections, the Broadway corridor deserves a high speed rapid transit that matches with the rest of the system. Unlike the South of Fraser, where people inside the South of Fraser travel within the region, there are many different people traveling into the Broadway corridor. We aren't just talking about UBC commuters from Coquitlam, we are also talking about doctors, businessmen, and all sorts of workers from different parts of the region.

Vancouver isn't laid out like the rest of the region. We've discussed this before: Vancouver uses a grid road system whereas most other municipalities use the the cul de sac system and only the major arterials run vertically and horizontally. With less side streets entering the major arterials, you have less pedestrian signals/crossings.

To be honest, Surrey's road network isn't exactly pedestrian friendly; it's more designed for cars and trucks. Adding a surface rapid transit solution to the Surrey roads will improve the overall pedestrian atmosphere. Roads will be required to be redesigned for transit and for pedestrians... whereas with SkyTrain, it doesn't have to be.

What we desperately need in Surrey is more coverage, and I'm sure all of Surrey's transit users would agree (namely Paul Hillsdon). LRT is the way to go. Vancouver's transit isn't the best, but it's far better than what we have in Surrey. We don't need coverage... we have lots of that with many of the buses now part of the FTN. As a Vancouver resident, I much rather have money dedicated solely to the Millennium Line extension rather than getting a tram down 49th that won't take me any faster than it is right now.
people in surrey are just as bad as every were else in the lower mainland we want to go some where fast and with as little hassle of going slow as possible
lrt just dont cut it compared to skytrains for travel times
plus down the line the lrt would just have to be up to skytrains this wasting money cause lrt didnt cut it in the long run

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 10:53 AM

to people who think skytrain will be going down 100 all i have to say is open your [edited by moderator] eyes theres nothing down 100th for skytrain to stop at meaning a long hall for nothing (well there is green timbers but thats all)
104 is a corridor surrey is working with to build up thus making that a prime location for skytrain to go down cause they could easily put in a stop or to along the way cause 104 is main corridor between surrey city center and guildford thus making that a great lead for two of surreys cores to connect in the future and the skytrain would only help move it along

Last edited by deasine; Dec 17, 2008 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 1:49 PM

Quote:
people in surrey are just as bad as every were else in the lower mainland we want to go some where fast and with as little hassle of going slow as possible
Which makes me wonder why we don't have more handicapped parking spaces...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
But isn't the photo of VCC-Clark Station? You can see the Clark Drive bridge in the background with the guideway protection mesh structures.
D'oh... of course... I should not have assumed that the picture they claimed depicted Broadway was actually a picture of Broadway!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 8:40 PM

Quote:
to people who think skytrain will be going down 100 all i have to say is open your fucking eyes theres nothing down 100th for skytrain to stop at meaning a long hall for nothing (well there is green timbers but thats all)
There would only be one (maybe two) stations on the line between Surrey Centre and Guildford. The location of the line along either street would probably have more to do with easily acquiring land for the right-of-way (and not disturbing the Nimbys)than serving the population along the way.

If an elevated Skytrain goes down 104th street, hopefully they'll locate it to the side (like No. 3 Rd.) to allow construction of low level stations (rather than the tall mezzanine stations like Metrotown and Brentwood).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
Here it is.
If the light blue LRT turned south along 152nd and hit a Skytrain Station, that would significantly improve connectivity to Guildford from the east (but probably not required until Skytrain hits Langley)

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 9:18 PM

If I could build rapid transit for the future Downtown Surrey I'd do the following:

Extend the skytrain down Fraser Highway towards 160th st.; and

Build (5) LRT lines as follows:

1) North/South along City Parkway (i.e. 135 st.) between 108th and 100th avenues

2) North/South along 152nd St. between 108th and Fraser Highway to connect with Skytrain extenstion

3) East/West along 108th Ave. between City Parkway and 152nd st.

4) East/West along 104th Ave. between City Parkway and 152nd st.

5) East/West along 100th Ave. between City Parkway and 152nd st.

Eventually I think an LRT should also run down King George Station to White Rock.

I think such a LRT network could really define Surrey as a downtown core. Any thoughts?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 9:31 PM

Um... three parallel LRTs four block apart?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure