HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Legacy at Millennium Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 2:55 AM

....I don't suppose anyone has some photos on how the site prep is going ? ........it seems like they have been at it forever....

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:12 AM
BANNED

I think this building would qualify as being U/C now.

Could the thead be moved yet or soon?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:17 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ nope. it's not under construction yet. when it is, it'll be moved.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I think this building would qualify as being U/C now.

Could the thead be moved yet or soon?
What exactly is going on, at the site?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
What exactly is going on, at the site?
Demolition of the pre-existing structure, aka siteprep.

SSDD

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk1103 View Post
....I don't suppose anyone has some photos on how the site prep is going ? ........it seems like they have been at it forever....
Um, they have to demo several old buildings, in a tight space, while preserving the facades, then presumably perform some remediation at the site. I wouldn't be surprised if 'site prep' (i.e. pre-foundation) goes on for another 4-6 months.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 5:07 PM

Lynn Becker has a "photo essay" here.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezyfingers View Post
wow! i didn't realize how far along they had gotten. im going to have to get over there soon.

this is going to make a wonderful addition to the skyline along with the 830 South Michigan...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 4:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezyfingers View Post
Cool link.

This is why I thought it could be considered U/C. There is no way after all of this work and effort this building will not be rising soon, this one is a given.

They and Waterview have a very professional staff working to fill the units; There is much greater experience and knowledge working there than anything provided at LLEast at least in my experience with each.

This is one of my most favorite new buildings going up right now. The angled view is brilliant and innovative, not to mention an excellent location. Every unit will see the lake except for the middle west units, which BTW do not have any thing to cry about. Imagine looking out for 50-60 miles of lights and progress.

It will add a nice high border to Millennium park. Like it does not have enough already.

Without MP this building would not have left the drawing board. So kudos to Daley and his vision on MP.

The best of luck to you my love, the Legacy. I hope to have a second vacation/investment home there some day, hopefully within 10 years. Depending upon the market 340 on the park, Aqua, or similar buildings should also be considered.

We are living in good times.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 3:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
This is why I thought it could be considered U/C. There is no way after all of this work and effort this building will not be rising soon, this one is a given.
of course it's a given that it will be built at this point, but we're sticklers for accuracy in chicago, and if something ain't officially under construction as we define the term, then it simply ain't under construction. there's no reason to jump the gun on an inevitability. it will happen soon enough.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 22, 2006 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 4:50 AM
Chicago

This one isn't officially under construction yet. I stopped by at lunch today and didn't bring a camera, so no pictures. They were clearing the last bit of debris from the site and it looked like some excavation work was taking place on the northwest side. Only the braced facades are standing. I also saw workers pumping out a sloppy mud mixture that resulted from all the rain we got this morning. The view from Wabash is pretty good now and was actually better than the one in the alley off of Monroe. That view was blocked by equipment. I didn't notice any caisson work yet.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 4:59 AM
BANNED

^^^So wow, its really moving along, even though it hasn't been UC, this thing is starting to get really close. This and Aqua are both going to start at practically the exact same time! Though Aqua may edge this one out by a while, depending on whether there are things that still need to be done at Legacy that we can't see.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:14 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Cool link.
This is one of my most favorite new buildings going up right now. The angled view is brilliant and innovative, not to mention an excellent location. Every unit will see the lake except for the middle west units, which BTW do not have any thing to cry about. Imagine looking out for 50-60 miles of lights and progress.

It will add a nice high border to Millennium park. Like it does not have enough already.

Without MP this building would not have left the drawing board. So kudos to Daley and his vision on MP.
This building looks almost like a razor. Aqua beats this building, but not by much. These two are imo two of the best buildings of the Boom.

Quote:
We are living in good times.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 1:22 AM
Chicago

January 9, 2007

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 1:31 AM
BANNED

WOW! That is quite amazing! How surreal, a good portion of a city block cleared of everything but the walls and graded flat. I looks like they are just about done with demo, maybe there are some bits of the old foundations left or something (that could explain why that one backhoe is digging in the middle), but it looks like its been graded nice and flat so that Cassion Rigs can drive on it and finally get this baby U/C!

This sure is the most interesting project to watch at the moment, quite an amazing method of construction.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 2:14 AM
Registered

^ I'm a big fan of this project, so I am somewhat surprised how sad it is to see those poor facades just pointlessly standing there. I will be glad when you can't see this huge void in the Loop any longer and the new tower is rising...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 3:08 AM
Chicago

They've made some good progress in the past two months. Hopefully construction can officially start soon.

Nov 2 vs. Jan 9

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 4:31 AM

^ Does it stay like that through the entire construction process?!?
I thought the facade is disassembled and preserved off site, and then upon completion they reassemble it. But Lynn Becker's article describes the Heritage process as "facades were secured to a steel skeleton, and a condo skyscraper built behind them", which suggests the facades remain in situ, and these photos almost suggest the same.
Which is correct?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 4:56 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Which is correct?
the latter. the facades will remain as they are, supported from the steel frame, as a new skyscraper is built behind them, just as it was done with the heritage a couple of blocks north on wabash.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 5:05 AM

I was over there earlier today as well. I asked one of the workers when they would begin to drill caissons, and I was told "in a few weeks".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture