HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 12:04 AM

? about all the new Austin high rises...

Are there any cool clubs or restaurants planned for the top floors? They do a lot of that in Vegas, and since Austin is finally getting a worthy skyline it would be fun to have some public access to the new views.

Last one I knew about was the Headliner's Club at the top of the American Bank building, but it was a private club. Only went up there once 30+ years ago.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 12:15 AM
Meh

The only ones I know of are the Hyatt on Town Lake and the Hilton Garden Inn. The Marriott Courtyard Inn also has a rooftop deck, and the Omni has a rooftop pool and deck. I think the Westin is going to have a decent rooftop deck/pool area with some pretty great views.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 4:03 AM

Would they be public-access (fee or no fee), or would they be restricted to the hotel guests?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 5:25 AM
Meh

They're free. You have to have a room card to access the elevator at the Omni. I didn't know that the first time I went, and I was confused why the elevator wasn't going up more than a floor or two. About the time I figured out why and was getting ready to go back down, a couple got on the elevator with me and I ended up at the top floor. You don't need a card to go back down, by the way.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They're free. You have to have a room card to access the elevator at the Omni. I didn't know that the first time I went, and I was confused why the elevator wasn't going up more than a floor or two. About the time I figured out why and was getting ready to go back down, a couple got on the elevator with me and I ended up at the top floor. You don't need a card to go back down, by the way.
My question, which ones will be built?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:32 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I would like to see an entertainment venue like a nightclub at the top of a highrise that wasn't necessarily a hotel. That's unlikely especially with residential towers but I don't see why an office tower or a mixed use that has a separation between the residential section and the venue can't have something like that. As it is I agree with the growing sentement that these new projects should create space for clubs and other entertainment venues, not just retail or restaurant space.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 12:14 PM

It isn't very likely because public assembly occupancies have greater exiting requirements than office or residential. Putting a public assembly occupancy at the top of a tall building would add a lot of cost in additional stairs (and elevators).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:34 PM

Seems that a lot of high rise venues in Vegas, Chicago, & NYC don't seem to have a problem with it.

Google up images of Club Mix or The Foundation Room in Las Vegas (both in hotels) to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin